AlliedBarton Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.5

AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Allied Barton customers are the best, easy work (in 19 reviews)

• work perks, decent pay, all over the nation (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The account managers aren't very qualified to head some of the accounts (in 37 reviews)

• Operations managers, not much room for advancement the harassment recieved over and over again (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

This company is decent to work for but it depends on the account manger and the site supervisor.

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time for less than a year

Pros

The health befits and that's it.

Cons

Standing all day, waiting for your relief to come, calls off last minutes, dealing with supervisors that act like kids, waiting for a promotion or requesting for a transfer forget about it, and trying to get a hold of the account manager that's another story.

not a good company to work for

Former Employee - Security Officer  in  Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at AlliedBarton for more than a year

Pros

They have many job sites but most are low paying or on-call to begin

Cons

This is a typical contract security company. In addition to the typical contract security issues, allied Barton also has the most ridiculous vacation policy that I have ever heard of. No vacation time for 2 years. After 2 years of employment you are still required to earn vacation time, its not just given to you on your anniversary date like most companies. It takes the whole year to earn a week of vacation. You can take a week of vacation during the year before its earned but if you leave the company they deduct the vacation pay from your check and if you have not taken a vacation they do not pay you the amount of time that you have accrued. At some sites you are forced to join a union and pay union dues but the so called union works for management not the people whose money they are taking,

No benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sometimes you can get over time.

Cons

Working under management with not enough experience.

Work on dealing with different people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greatly dissatisfied!

Former Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed)  in  Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Washington, PA

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, continuing college education assistance,

Cons

They hire too many people that really are not qualified for the job, as long as they can pass a background check and pass an easy drug test they are hired. Not enough employees to cover all the accounts makes it difficult for others because you have to work astronomical hours and it compromises your safety as well as the security of the job site.

Hire better qualified people and get the priorities straight, you state that employee safety is number one when in reality it is not.

Security Officer

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

If you want to make money quickly this is the job for you. If you want a chance at a career you may want to work for another company that specializes in security.

Cons

The account managers aren't very qualified to head some of the accounts. They don't consider the needs of the employees it's all about making money for the company. The account managers are quick to let someone go for minor infractions. They cheat employees out of overtime hours and money. The account managers are a major problem.

Pay employees a living wage.

Same as the rest

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

From a Managers point of view in the Boston area:
    - Pay is fair. Essentially the same as other Contract companies but definitely not the lowest
    - Due to turnover there is a pretty high availability of jobs so lateral moves are easy and slightly higher paying accounts will open up.
    - District Managers are good, supportive and knowledgeable

Cons

- Regional staff is ruthless and intractable. Makes decisions without evaluating the impact on accounts. For example every contract is signed with 16 hours training available for the officer. Regional office requires CPR/1st aid plus terrorism training and an on-boarding class for a total of 12 hours of training. That leaves only 4 hours to learn the job site. They also require the completion of a series of online and open book classes that mean officers are required to read while on post, thus not providing good security to the client.
    - Company at all levels is not loyal. Account Managers and employees are frequently thrown under the bus to save a contract. Not moved elsewhere, actually fired whether they are guilty or not, even when its just a personality conflict.
    - Regional and District offices do not understand that they are support departments. Their constant meddling makes it near impossible for accounts to run smoothly. Thy also assign projects without stopping to consider the impact on field managers and line staff
    - Zero Account Managers have been promoted to a District position in the last 20 years
    - Nationwide transfers are near impossible to manage. Offices tend to support the local candidate regardless of the situation. (may or may not be bad...bad if you're the one trying to transfer)

Start taking care of your managers. Realize that without them and the line associates you are unemployed. Understand that your job is to set direction and tone, not dominate the lives of your underlings.

Best security company I have worked for.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  San Angelo Junction, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in San Angelo Junction, TX

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for less than a year

Pros

This job allows you to grow within.

Cons

I have no cons with Alliedbarton.

Meh. It was ok.

Former Employee - Security Guard  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked my co-workers and my supervisor was ok. Great job for people in school. You will have time to study .

Cons

The benefits suck. You don't get vacation until you work a year. Training was a week long and it's unpaid. If someone doesn't relieve you of duty, you can't leave.

Offer better benefits and paid training.

Deplorable Industry and Allied Barton is the most disgraceful

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time

Pros

They provide uniforms
    They provide pay checks but can't get the sum pay correct based on the hours you "really worked"
    Some managers will work around your schedule
    Clients who pay for security offer more than Allied Barton... Like food, water, coffee, and entertainment free of charger... they also provide a roof over our head.

Cons

They short your pay and especially your overtime...they hire non professional types at all levels.. most managers are dictators or tyrants... they look at their guards as cattle... CEO and his cronies steal money from their security guards buy offering sub standard pay and then giving no raises... they don't pay you more if you have a degree or experience.

They offer poor training and the online stuff is nice but doesn't translate to real situations all the time... most post orders are lacking critical information, hold disastrous spelling and grammatical errors, and like the training doesn't translate well to the realities at the site level...

Allied Barton doesn't offer good time off options or PTO... The sites that do have some rarely let you take them.

Allied Barton isn't a place to call home or make a "career"... most at this company use and abuse it until they can find something better. Most anything is better than security work.

They hire veterans but don't pay them more for their experience. They also hire types who are incapable of doing the job mentally or physically, so get prepared to do their work for them.

Allied Barton is guilty of glorifying the image of its guards, the possible terror clients could face, and offering nothing to their guards which would actually allow them to stop or delay a real terror based situation or incident. At the amount they pay most guards would watch terror happen while they waited for true professionals to arrive.

Did I mention the pay is garbage? it is and don't count on raises or good insurance even if at a union site. Since the union is tied in with janitors and other lowly types your say at the union level means "nothing" just like your input into the operations of Allied Barton mean nothing.

I have suggest, memo-ed, and proposed countless suggestions that management, the company, or client were either to ignorant or under educated to understand, "lacked funds- Eyes rolling," or simply didn't care. Allied Barton management starts looking at you like a competitor when you show you are smart enough to do things like this.

This industry I hear from most of my brother/sister guards is deplorable, but Allied Barton is the most disgraceful of them all.

I roll my eyes at you all the time. I even laugh at comments made on your Allied Barton website blog (thanks for those) we guards love a good laugh at your comatose ideologies as to what "security is."

Allied Barton

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time

Pros

Has great people to work with

Cons

Low Pay and Poor benefits

Need managers that dont lie

Worked for AlliedBarton? Contribute to the Community!