Allina Health Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.7

Allina Health CEO Kenneth Paulus
Kenneth Paulus

Pros
  • Excellent work environment and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling, decent pay, most coworkers are pleasant, understanding of competing priorities of pharmacy students (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Annual employee increases do not meet annual cost of living increases & no opportunity for extra incentive (in 3 reviews)

• expect work to be done in a time frame too short to give quality patient care, puts patients at risk with budget constraints and policies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allina Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, advancement opportunities, wages, tuition reimbursement and multiple locations.

Cons

Working in Health Care today is tough anywhere.

Keep up the good work.

Allina - good stepping stone position

Current Employee - Scheduling in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scheduling in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allina Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest reason I'm still here is because they highly support my education. I'm in nursing school, and they've been so flexible with my school schedule and supportive. Staying with Allina will hopefully make it easier to get a job once I've finished my nursing degree.
    I have a great supervisor and great team to work with - we all care about the same things.
    As a whole - Allina as a company has beliefs and ideals that I believe in as well. Many patients I work with are satisfied with their care as well and that's huge.
    Allina believes in recognizing people who do good work - who exceed expectations - and getting recognition and awards is highly appreciated.
    The pay is good for what I do, although annual raises are low (1-2%).
    If you need benefits - they are very good. Health insurance is affordable, they offer the beFIT credits to lower your premium by living a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Sick leave and family leave is very difficult. They use "occurrences" and you can only get three in six months. So if I can't make it because my child is sick and daycare won't let him come in, that's one occurrence. Leaving early, coming in late is half an occurrence. It's really hard to keep it within only three in six months when it's the winter months and you and your family are sick or there are snow storms. It's hard when you have a family to consider. I have great attendance and would never call in unless it was truly justified, but the occurrences make it very stressful.
    There are several policies that don't contribute to a positive working environment - at least in my department - and that makes the job hard to appreciate. While I have a good direct supervisor, it's luck of the draw whose team you get placed on and they're not all as great as my supervisor.
    Lastly, moving up to a new position is highly competitive. Several in my department have tried to apply for promotions or even just to a different position and they're always beat out by someone else.

Great Overall Company

Former Employee - ___ in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - ___ in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allina Health as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment and work/life balance. People are genuine and try to do the right thing each and every time. Great focus on employee wellness.

Cons

Advancement opportunities can be limited because many employees have been here 20+ years in similar roles. Higher turnover in some areas would help to reduce dead weight and diversify the workforce. Extremely tight budgets will exist for the foreseeable future.

Management overall is exceptionally strong. I think that addressing the budget issues now in a comprehensive manner is the right thing to do although it will be painful in the short term. Allina may want to reevaluate it's affiliate strategy and it's associated benefits and considerations.

Great i love working here

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benifits, time off, PTO, pay

Cons

nothing, its great working here

Upate design in hospital

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - HIM Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - HIM Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is valued and there are a lot of incentives for employees

Cons

They aren't always competetive in salaries

GREAT Location, CEO Needs to Go

Current Employee - Data Analyst, Intermediate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Data Analyst, Intermediate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love where I work and I love the work that I do. I love my job. It's great and the people I work directly with are fantadtic as well. HR's Recruitment Center does a really good job screening candidates! Plus, the corporate office is right next to the Midtown Global Market, a bank, DMV and has a heated tunnel to walk in to your car in the winter.

Cons

Constant layoffs occur. HR for staff issues is really bad and not supportive. Disability requests go ignored, are denied, or not approved. Complaints about extremely inappropriate temp employees go ignored. HR temporarily hires more temps than employees so that they don't have to pay out benefits. The CEO asks for your feedback, and then reprimands you for saying anything that he doesn't agree with. Out financial goals are not being met because he's always yelling at someone rather than doing his job.

Completely replace the HR Employee Dispute staff and get rid of the CEO. We need a fresh leader. Ken is burned out and our company is suffering because of that.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Facility Operations Secretary in Cambridge, MN
    Current Employee - Facility Operations Secretary in Cambridge, MN

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

this job provided me with the flexibility I needed. The leadership was great, benefits and recognition we above the average.

Cons

This department was a fast passed, multi-task oriented office with many duties which require working indepenantly and as a team.

?

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Allina Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice to their employees and all

Cons

Difficult at times with patients

Great Company, In the right department.

Former Employee - Patient Access Liaison in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Access Liaison in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allina Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers, good benefits, decent pay, no experience necessary to get your foot in the door in many departments. Easy to get in if you know someone.

Cons

Constant schedule changes, high turnover, little training, outdated/broken equipment, difficult to transfer between departments due to training differences. Little opportunities for growth. Some employees were "grandfathered" in when Allina merged with other hospitals and do a lot less work, for a lot more pay with in the same department and their jobs are safe while the rest of us are worried about being layed off.

Update equipment. Stop talking about changes that are going to happen, and make them happen.
    Don't treat employees like they are disposable, it makes them feel unwanted and look for employment elsewhere.

Great co-workers, great leadership!

Current Employee - IS Staff in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IS Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management really tries to put you where you will excel. People are nice, and there is a lot of flexibility. Good strategic management. Work-life balance is good.

Cons

The pay is a little less than industry standard, but the work-life balance is very good. The corporate office location is not ideal.

Continue to look to the future as health care is constantly (and rapidly) changing.