Allina Health

Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

Allina Health CEO Kenneth Paulus
Kenneth Paulus

Pros
  • Excellent work environment and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, and competitive pay; (and for smaller towns outside of the metro to the west it makes a difference) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is a little less than industry standard, but the work-life balance is very good (in 3 reviews)

• Annual employee increases do not meet annual cost of living increases & no opportunity for extra incentive (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Trying to be progressive but disorganized

I worked at Allina Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good clinicians. Fair compensation.

Cons

My experience was a disorganized department due to annual manager turnover. Hard on primary care providers.

Disorganized!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Allina Health

Pros

Close to home, no freeway traffic.

Cons

Disorganized!!! Managers are clueless on what new hire training is needed to get computer access. I would get my work schedule one week in advance , makes to hard to plan personal plans. UGH!!!

FYI: Patients and Staff deserve better from such a large healthcare system.

Has it highs and lows. Unfortunately the Home Oxygen division seems to be trying to find direction with limited leaders

Current Employee - DME Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - DME Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with community. Helping people.

Cons

Feeling there is no support of those who will do the work and giving a pass to those who do the bare minimum and do nothing extra. Members of leadership seem to have no idea of the mission. Changes are made that negatively impact patient service with no explanation or good reason. Little chance of advancement.

Look inward for people who can be leaders. Going outside for mid-level management seems to be full of friends of current leaders with no firm grasp of mission or objectives.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allina Health as a contractor

Pros

Great values, mission, and integrity- employees believe in and exhibit these goals. Wonderful people to work with!

Cons

A little too much face time required.

Continue to lead the way in keeping valuable people and using cutting edge practices. Don't lose the good people!

Administrative Coordinator

I worked at Allina Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good working environment, nice and dedicated staff

Cons

There are no cons at this time

In general

I have been working at Allina Health

Pros

it really is a good company to work for, stable job.

Cons

Feels like upper mgmt doesn't always understand what we have to deal with on a daily basis with angry patients.

The people on the lower end do a lot of the work & deal with angry people daily and manage should take what they say/contribute as extremely important.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Scheduler
    Current Employee - Scheduler

I have been working at Allina Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. many places to work, through out Minnesota. All benefits carry over.

Cons

Lots of upper management, making decisions while not talking with people who do the work, to see if a good plan or not

Great place

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Allina Health

Pros

Good benefits and pay given

Cons

No cons at this point

Overall a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allina Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, advancement opportunities, wages, tuition reimbursement and multiple locations.

Cons

Working in Health Care today is tough anywhere.

Keep up the good work.

Allina - good stepping stone position

Current Employee - Scheduling in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scheduling in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allina Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The biggest reason I'm still here is because they highly support my education. I'm in nursing school, and they've been so flexible with my school schedule and supportive. Staying with Allina will hopefully make it easier to get a job once I've finished my nursing degree.
    I have a great supervisor and great team to work with - we all care about the same things.
    As a whole - Allina as a company has beliefs and ideals that I believe in as well. Many patients I work with are satisfied with their care as well and that's huge.
    Allina believes in recognizing people who do good work - who exceed expectations - and getting recognition and awards is highly appreciated.
    The pay is good for what I do, although annual raises are low (1-2%).
    If you need benefits - they are very good. Health insurance is affordable, they offer the beFIT credits to lower your premium by living a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Sick leave and family leave is very difficult. They use "occurrences" and you can only get three in six months. So if I can't make it because my child is sick and daycare won't let him come in, that's one occurrence. Leaving early, coming in late is half an occurrence. It's really hard to keep it within only three in six months when it's the winter months and you and your family are sick or there are snow storms. It's hard when you have a family to consider. I have great attendance and would never call in unless it was truly justified, but the occurrences make it very stressful.
    There are several policies that don't contribute to a positive working environment - at least in my department - and that makes the job hard to appreciate. While I have a good direct supervisor, it's luck of the draw whose team you get placed on and they're not all as great as my supervisor.
    Lastly, moving up to a new position is highly competitive. Several in my department have tried to apply for promotions or even just to a different position and they're always beat out by someone else.

Allina Health Photos