Allison Transmission

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Larry Dewey

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are absolutely amazing compared to a lot of other companies (in 3 reviews)

• Good people with a lot of experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • An example of Old GM at its absolute worst (in 5 reviews)

• He got really upset when he saw that some people weren't in the building at least 40 hours a week and made a giant stink about it (in 2 reviews)

Product Engineer Internship

I worked at Allison Transmission

Pros

-enjoyed working with individuals who had a lot of experience in the field
    -fun intern activities

Cons

-negative outlook of company by current employees
    -seemed like outspoken individuals got fired
    -didn't have work the first couple of weeks

Advice to Management

Have a side project for interns to work on when they have down time.

fms

Current Employee - Fms Operator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Fms Operator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with..Some of the benefits are good

Cons

Training is terrible..some of the supervisor are hard to work for,

Advice to Management

they don't care what I have to say

3. Great Work Experience for a Student

I have been working at Allison Transmission

Pros

-All of the engineers are very helpful and used to working with students
    -Meaningful projects

Cons

-Not sure if it is somewhere I would want to work full-time

5. Predictive Maint. Supervisor

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and lots of overtime

Cons

Very political for carrier advacment

Advice to Management

Reward you employees for going above and beyond.

Things are changing for the better!

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Allison Transmission

Pros

Some of the reviews have been pretty negative but I think things are beginning to change for the better here. For the first time, our annual employee meeting didn't require employees to register on site and our CEO actually recognized a number of employees who are solid contributors. I am really encouraged. There js a new VP HR so maybe that is why things are slowly moving in a better direction.

Cons

Still a lot of old ways of doing things as other reviews have noted.

Advice to Management

Really like some of what has been happening lately, like the new cafeteria and the onsite MBA program plus the very positive All People meeting. Please keep up this kind of focus. It is much appreciated.

Low pay no advancment

Current Employee - Engineering Operations in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineering Operations in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time

Pros

They sometimes are not open so you dont have to go to work when that happen you can actually enjoy your life rather than work a long 10-13 hr shift

Cons

Everything about the union and management are both terrible both sides argue and contribute to the issues that make it a terrible place to work

Advice to Management

Stop the old culture hire a more diverse work force spend less time sending employees to classes that add no or little value. Focus on the future no the past

Cultural Shift

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allison is fortunate to have a great many professional, competent, and virtuous employees who care about providing a great product. Allison brings premium products to market, as such they command a premium price. Growth opportunities for the company's products outside of North America are strong, if pricing can be competitive.
    Overall, pay and benefits are decent, as is the occasion for international travel.

Cons

Unfortunately over the past few years, more and more of these same employees have been leaving the company, having reported that they were driven away by an autocratic CEO who insists on micromanaging even the most mundane activities. My own experience confirms that a cultural shift has occurred in recent years, where fear of public humiliation is stifling employee's creativity and tolerance for risk. Obviously, this does not bode well for innovation.

Advice to Management

Foster a more positive working environment. If a problem employee needs addressed, do so in private with that employee only. Praise publicly, criticize privately.

Have you been in the Staff meetings?

Former Employee - Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company reputation in the market, Team Structures, Opportunities to work in Global environment, Good pay (if you are a performer) and benefits. I had the opportunity to sit in quite a few meetings with the CEO and his staff. Not sure what all the fuss is about - there were a lot of probing questions, yes. But for those who had done their homework, it was acknowledged and accepted, even if it wasn't good news, or wasn't what the staff had anticipated as the direction.

Cons

Company is in a transition, not everyone is happy about it, so there are a minority of very unhappy people. Listening to their kvetching is tiresome and irritating. It is interesting that some of the most positive people have come from the outside - maybe they have a better, more realistic perspective of working in an industrial company.

Advice to Management

It is apparent that many of the complainers do not have direct interaction - many things are "reported", but few are "experienced". Some of the facts quoted are inaccurate - for example, most people really did get raises this past year.

Terrible Culture

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I made great friends during my time at Allison and gained a lot of professional experience.

Cons

The CEO is a tyrant and literally every decision made at Allison is based on avoiding his wrath. The culture is terribly unsupportive of working women and my experience was just a shade shy of what I would describe as outright gender discrimination. In leaving Allison I learned that a strong performer can find challenge, respect and flexibility at work. Work can actually be pleasant. I regret staying at Allison as long as I did.

Advice to Management

An employee survey would reveal a tremendous amount of unhappiness across all departments and levels of tenure. The real issue is that the CEO is unlikely to admit he needs to listen to his people and make any changes. He is right, dissenters are wrong. Period.

Very top-down management style, little incentive to perform, minimal opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time

Pros

Company makes a very good product and takes care of its customers. Fairly secure place to work with little worry about cost-cutting measures eliminating jobs. Fairly good vacation policy; however, you're required to use a week of it during the July 4th shutdown.

Cons

I'll try and make my comments less caustic that others here but I do share many concerns with them.

Pay: The compensation plan is not designed to incentivize you to work harder or provide greater value to the company. Your boss typically gets a number handed to him/her and it's given to you. It has seemingly no connection to your contribution and questioning it is highly discouraged. If you are in the unfortunate position of being paid at the top of your pay level, it's common to not receive an increase at all, regardless of how well you did during the year. In spite of skyrocketing executive compensation and excellent financial results, the lack of a budget for raises is frequently given as a reason for a paltry raise. . This means that those that are happy with a job stay, and those that want a connection between performance and pay leave.

Lack of agency: Employees are frequently moved from one position or discipline to another without any voice in the process. There is certainly little/no opportunity to negotiate for an increase compensatory to the increase in workload. Hesitation to do so is met with the threat of either unemployment or having one's career sidelined. Additionally, managers of processes or people are frequently handed direction without any respect for the SME's opinion, experience, advice, ETC. I believe this is in large part due to the CEO's influence on the executive staff and their direct reports. Additionally, there is no effort by management to solicit the opinions of the employees...no 360 reviews, no skip-level meetings, no employee surveys, etc. While I'm sure someone on the third floor has seen the terrible Glassdoor ratings, I don't imagine anyone has developed a plan to solicit the opinions of those givings the reviews....the employees.

Career stagnation: There is no apparently no method to develop one's talents in order to move up the ladder. Because people are seemingly appointed to the choice position at random, you can't plan to gain experience in various disciplines to increase both your business acumen and your chance of promotion.

Attractiveness to new talent: The company is woefully behind the times in terms of schedule flexibility, opportunity to work from home, smart phone deployment, and just about everything else anyone under 50 places value on.

Advice to Management

Solicit opinions from your employees. There's a reason the reviews here are trending sharply downward
    Be more humble. Many of the employees have been here for decades. Ask for their input.
    Reward employees that contribute to the organization in significant and meaningful ways.
    Develop, deploy, and communicate career planning guides. If people have no idea how to move up, they'll move out.

RSS Feed </> Embed