Allison Transmission Reviews

2.4
Larry Dewey

1. Predictive Maint. Supervisor

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and lots of overtime

Cons

Very political for carrier advacment

Reward you employees for going above and beyond.

Things are changing for the better!

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Allison Transmission

Pros

Some of the reviews have been pretty negative but I think things are beginning to change for the better here. For the first time, our annual employee meeting didn't require employees to register on site and our CEO actually recognized a number of employees who are solid contributors. I am really encouraged. There js a new VP HR so maybe that is why things are slowly moving in a better direction.

Cons

Still a lot of old ways of doing things as other reviews have noted.

Really like some of what has been happening lately, like the new cafeteria and the onsite MBA program plus the very positive All People meeting. Please keep up this kind of focus. It is much appreciated.

Cultural Shift

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allison is fortunate to have a great many professional, competent, and virtuous employees who care about providing a great product. Allison brings premium products to market, as such they command a premium price. Growth opportunities for the company's products outside of North America are strong, if pricing can be competitive.
    Overall, pay and benefits are decent, as is the occasion for international travel.

Cons

Unfortunately over the past few years, more and more of these same employees have been leaving the company, having reported that they were driven away by an autocratic CEO who insists on micromanaging even the most mundane activities. My own experience confirms that a cultural shift has occurred in recent years, where fear of public humiliation is stifling employee's creativity and tolerance for risk. Obviously, this does not bode well for innovation.

Foster a more positive working environment. If a problem employee needs addressed, do so in private with that employee only. Praise publicly, criticize privately.

Have you been in the Staff meetings?

Former Employee - Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company reputation in the market, Team Structures, Opportunities to work in Global environment, Good pay (if you are a performer) and benefits. I had the opportunity to sit in quite a few meetings with the CEO and his staff. Not sure what all the fuss is about - there were a lot of probing questions, yes. But for those who had done their homework, it was acknowledged and accepted, even if it wasn't good news, or wasn't what the staff had anticipated as the direction.

Cons

Company is in a transition, not everyone is happy about it, so there are a minority of very unhappy people. Listening to their kvetching is tiresome and irritating. It is interesting that some of the most positive people have come from the outside - maybe they have a better, more realistic perspective of working in an industrial company.

It is apparent that many of the complainers do not have direct interaction - many things are "reported", but few are "experienced". Some of the facts quoted are inaccurate - for example, most people really did get raises this past year.

Terrible Culture

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I made great friends during my time at Allison and gained a lot of professional experience.

Cons

The CEO is a tyrant and literally every decision made at Allison is based on avoiding his wrath. The culture is terribly unsupportive of working women and my experience was just a shade shy of what I would describe as outright gender discrimination. In leaving Allison I learned that a strong performer can find challenge, respect and flexibility at work. Work can actually be pleasant. I regret staying at Allison as long as I did.

An employee survey would reveal a tremendous amount of unhappiness across all departments and levels of tenure. The real issue is that the CEO is unlikely to admit he needs to listen to his people and make any changes. He is right, dissenters are wrong. Period.

Very top-down management style, little incentive to perform, minimal opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time

Pros

Company makes a very good product and takes care of its customers. Fairly secure place to work with little worry about cost-cutting measures eliminating jobs. Fairly good vacation policy; however, you're required to use a week of it during the July 4th shutdown.

Cons

I'll try and make my comments less caustic that others here but I do share many concerns with them.

Pay: The compensation plan is not designed to incentivize you to work harder or provide greater value to the company. Your boss typically gets a number handed to him/her and it's given to you. It has seemingly no connection to your contribution and questioning it is highly discouraged. If you are in the unfortunate position of being paid at the top of your pay level, it's common to not receive an increase at all, regardless of how well you did during the year. In spite of skyrocketing executive compensation and excellent financial results, the lack of a budget for raises is frequently given as a reason for a paltry raise. . This means that those that are happy with a job stay, and those that want a connection between performance and pay leave.

Lack of agency: Employees are frequently moved from one position or discipline to another without any voice in the process. There is certainly little/no opportunity to negotiate for an increase compensatory to the increase in workload. Hesitation to do so is met with the threat of either unemployment or having one's career sidelined. Additionally, managers of processes or people are frequently handed direction without any respect for the SME's opinion, experience, advice, ETC. I believe this is in large part due to the CEO's influence on the executive staff and their direct reports. Additionally, there is no effort by management to solicit the opinions of the employees...no 360 reviews, no skip-level meetings, no employee surveys, etc. While I'm sure someone on the third floor has seen the terrible Glassdoor ratings, I don't imagine anyone has developed a plan to solicit the opinions of those givings the reviews....the employees.

Career stagnation: There is no apparently no method to develop one's talents in order to move up the ladder. Because people are seemingly appointed to the choice position at random, you can't plan to gain experience in various disciplines to increase both your business acumen and your chance of promotion.

Attractiveness to new talent: The company is woefully behind the times in terms of schedule flexibility, opportunity to work from home, smart phone deployment, and just about everything else anyone under 50 places value on.

Solicit opinions from your employees. There's a reason the reviews here are trending sharply downward
    Be more humble. Many of the employees have been here for decades. Ask for their input.
    Reward employees that contribute to the organization in significant and meaningful ways.
    Develop, deploy, and communicate career planning guides. If people have no idea how to move up, they'll move out.

I Can Quote Shakespeare Too!

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Cons

What an arrogant response by the person who recently gave 5 stars. It is everyone else's fault that there is so much angst and unhappiness at Allison. It is in fact the fault of the underlings according to said person.

His/her post confirms most of the cons that have been posted on this site by employees past and present.

For anyone considering Allison, pay close attention to the justification of the Draconian measures around Allison. The pulling of time swipes was not a spot check. They pulled almost everyone. People who travel and come in for a few hours before their flight were adversely reported. People who worked from home did not get the benefit of getting time credit. I don't doubt that there are people who don't put in 40 hour weeks, but the intent of the time pulls was not to motivate the workforce, but to put fear in it.

If you are considering Allison, just keep in mind that you are going to be judged for the amount of time you spend in the building, not results. If there was any doubt about that, "Director" has confirmed it.

Raises were recently given out. Guess what? Most people did not get any. The justification was that if you are getting paid the market rate or higher then you were not going to get a raise. Keep in mind that market rate is the average salary for a position. So, while Allison wants you to perform at an above average level, they are only willing to pay you the average level.

Allison is working on more new products than ever. They unfortunately are not products the market is demanding.

If you are considering working at Allison, go back and closely read what "Director" wrote. You will find it is not an endorsement of a progressive, employee-centric organization. Instead, it is confirms the attitude of "Anyone who disagrees is lazy, unappreciative, and dead weight. Employees should feel honored to work here."

Sadly, the GM days were full of an attitude of "We're in this together and if we do a good job we'll get ahead." Nowadays it is, "We're watching you and the beatings will continue until morale improves"

Oh yeah, thanks for the benefits. I think I typed enough to earn 100 toward the near impossible qualification for the health insurance discount.

"Rome, thou hast lost the breed of noble bloods!"

By the way, these quotes are from Julius Caesar. Some of us also did pretty well on the GMAT.

Perhaps a Director isn't the best person to leave an honest review

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a director it's fantastic! None of the real work, all of the pay!

Cons

If you are doing the actual work you are belittled, can actually lose compensation year to year despite innovative of new solutions, and the technology drive is half-hearted at best. All the worst of GM mentality. There is a reason the average review (at time of writing) is 2.5, and only a Director could leave a good review.

Fire yourselves and get someone competent and less greedy in place.

Technology company that is losing its edge

Former Employee - Product Engineering in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Product Engineering in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Provider of great products and has been able to deliver technology in the past. Good people with a lot of experience. Opportunities to learn.

Cons

Bread & butter products have been neglected and too much engineering time spent on qualifying low-cost suppliers that can't deliver quality, rather than focusing on enhancing current products and developing new products. There is a real dichotomy of employees with a group with 30+ years experience that are stuck until they can retire, and a group of newbies that are there to gain experience before moving on to a better job that will value their skills. Also too many consultants that have too much power. Allison has also made it clear that no one is safe from being laid off, regardless of experience, dedication, and knowledge, so there is little loyalty any more, and morale is terrible. Being spun off from General Motors was a real opportunity to do great things, but unfortunately the only thing management wanted to focus on for the first five years was preparing the company to go public so they could reap millions, and the post-IPO focus is on cost containment and maximizing their annual bonuses.

Value your employees rather than looking at them as pure burden. Also stop relying on consultants to run Product Engineering. Also spend some time on long-term planning rather than the next quarter's profits.

Culture of helplessness

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get vacation days and then get mandated to take at least 4 of them during the annual summer shutdown. There is an annual employee meeting with free cookies and a comparison of GMAT scores. The stock ownership plan has made about a dozen people quite wealthy but regular people don't get the benefit of any of it. Quite diverse especially in executive ranks where there are white people, males and even white males. White female executives get titles like Managing Director or Executive Director. Only one white female is a VP. You can get noticed at the highest level especially your swipes in and out of the building.

Cons

An abject feeling of helplessness permeates the company and culture. It is also a culture of bullying. The most senior of managers berate and bully any chance they get and the company in general bullies its customers and suppliers. People are leaving left and right because of it and customers and suppliers have had enough of it. I suspect that even higher level managers know its bad but they feel helpless because of the way things are run.

You have proven that you are the smartest people in the room. You do not need to keep shoving it down everybodys throat. Do not kid yourselves. Deep down you know your fantastic wealth means nothing if you do not have coworkers who think highly of you and respect you. You may not show it but you know it.