Allison & Partners Reviews

Scott Allison

1. Wonderful culture, great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allison & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, great clients, amazing founders

Cons

Slow moving, not always fair compensation

2. New York

I worked at Allison & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beer Cart Fridays (nothing else)

Cons

Everything else. Worst group of people I have ever worked with. I joined this team having found it on one of those best places to work sites, and thought that I was becoming part of a wonderful and supportive team and healthy learning environment. I was horribly wrong, and can probably say I was deceived. On my very first day I was thrown immediately into work that was waiting for the person who would have my position. No hi how are you. No introductions. No team building or ice breakers. Just a free lunch and it was all downhill from there. Management is catty. All criticism is critical and mean instead of constructive. Other people take credit for your hard work. ZERO work/life balance. They take some pictures and put them on social to make the place seem fun, but everyone is severely overworked and extremely underpaid. Interns work their butts off more than full time for $10. Full time staff make very low salaries and no overtime. I would come in at 9am and leave at 630pm and was told to come in earlier if I had too much work or leave later, instead of my supervisor reevaluating my workload. All meetings were always scheduled during lunch hours so no one ever left to get food, people were constantly chained to their desks. Supervisors don't communicate. Mine was the worst. I constantly felt tag-teamed when approaching my supervisor(s) for help or needed to talk about an issue I was having. I was always sure to be kind, but what I received from her and other senior staff members was anger, rudeness and attitude.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I loved the work I was doing, but the people made me miserable. I did learn from an amazing director in the San Diego office, but everyone I was surrounded by in person in my office were poisonous. 50 plus hours a week and bosses that were never satisfied with the time you came in or left is a serious problem, and it's very apparent by the number of people who have literally ran out the door after only spending a couple months in the place.

Advice to Management

You can't produce great work without a happy staff. Train your management. There's no reason why employees should avoid approaching their supervisors out of fear of backlash, revenge and office gossip.

Lack of Communication

Former Employee - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Allison & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was good, as I was guided through the process of interning and all of my questions were answered. I was also included in everything from “lunch and learns” to client meetings.

Cons

I was given typical menial intern tasks like printing anything and everything, running errands and paying for them out of pocket, and ordering office lunches. I worked 30-40 hours a week. Throughout my internship, I was told by numerous coworkers that it would absolutely end in a job because I learned fast, contributed well and got along with everyone. But I was casually told one day that my internship would be ending in 2 weeks with no explanation. I had 2 weeks to find another job so I didn’t lose my apartment or go into debt, while working full time, in a city where PR firms aren't plentiful.

Advice to Management

Communicate to your interns what you are promising them. Don't lead them on just to motivate them; be transparent about the internship end date from day one.

5. Nurtures a collaborative, educational, entrepreneurial environment

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Allison & Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is built on entrepreneurs. It has an open door/collaborative environment where people want to come to work; they want to work with people they learn from and respect, and truly enjoy working together. The company invests in its employees. Employees are happy, smart, creative people who want to do the best work possible for their clients and teams. Additionally, perks such as the company sabbatical program after you've been with the agency for 5 years are pretty rare in the PR world.

Cons

The company is growing fast and there are growing pains that come with that. Teams tend to work long hours but the company recognizes and rewards a job well done.

Advice to Management

Remain focused on the agency culture, it's what will continue to make this company a huge success.

6. Great place to learn your trade

I worked at Allison & Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid client roster
    Some really good talent who you'll learn a lot from
    Smart, approachable founders who really care about the people that work for them
    Agency still small enough to really make an impact in a specific area that you feel passionate about

Cons

Senior management can play favorites
    Huge range in office sizes and practice groups - get stuck in a bad one can be very hard to transition out
    Massive pressure to bring in new business, even at the very junior levels
    Can be quite hard to get promoted unless you are in with the right people
    Not very competitive salaries
    Profit sharing based on lead generators and not the people who actually do the work

Advice to Management

Management needs to be a bit more present

Great place to build your niche!

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Allison & Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I came to Allison+Partners from a large PR firm for the same reason I've stayed for a decade: it's run by genuinely good people who strive to create a collaborative, supportive work environment where people can pursue their passions. I entered the firm as a generalist account executive and enjoyed rapid growth and the opportunity to build a practice group that aligns with my interest in social impact.

Cons

While our rapid growth has brought us bigger brands and exceptional talent, it takes more effort to maintain a cohesive culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in culture-building and education programs.

Caring Leadership, Fun Culture

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Allison & Partners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Allison+Partners has a strong company culture that trickles down from CEO and founder, Scott Allison, who is a warm, personable and caring human being who truly cares about his employees as well as the bottom line.

In addition, at Allison, senior management strives very hard to provide not only a supportive and learning environment for all employees, but also perks and a fun culture to endure the long hours that come with any agency job. People who work here are friends with each other both in and outside of the office.

Cons

Like any PR firm, Allison+Partners has to balance the needs of clients with the drive for profits, which can mean driving people very hard toward billability ... with means long, long hours and a culture that rewards hard work over smart work. But I can't see any PR firm being all that different, to be honest. It's the nature of the beast in this industry.

Hard workers, good variety of experience

I worked at Allison & Partners

Pros

Many hardworking people trying to do great things for clients; good variety of experience due to diversity of clients; tries hard to be on the cutting edge of industry trends and technology; very effective at job

Cons

Some clients are more demanding than others; can be competitive atmosphere; some locations are much smaller than others, which changes the dynamics there (can be good and bad)

Complete Con Game

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Allison & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly junior staff, occasional fun staff outing.

Cons

Extremely understaffed, volatile managers, questionable promotions, boring clients. There are so many agencies in San Francisco that do what A&P does but so much better. All agencies in San Francisco are in a hiring frenzy, so drop A&P to the bottom of your list when searching for a tech PR job.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to potential employees just to get them through the door and assign them a different position than what was discussed. Promote employees based on performance, not on politics.

11. Decidedly average PR firm, too focused on media relations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Allison & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They mean well, but don't seem to be able to do much besides media relations. They have gotten some decent clients and continue to grow, so maybe things will improve. If you're one of the favorites, you'll enjoy it here.

Cons

Dysfunctional, typical PR firm. Lots of politics and favoritism, worse since they were acquired. They talk a good game about work/life balance and "summer Fridays" but be prepared to nights, weekends, vacations consumed with work and the "look of death" if you dare leave before 6 on Fridays during the summer. Some of the offices are much better run and are more pleasant to work in than others.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own Kool-aid.

RSS Feed </> Embed