AlloSource Reviews

Processing technician

Former Employee - Processing Tech
    Former Employee - Processing Tech

I worked at AlloSource full-time

Pros

Was a good company to work for right out of school. I worked the weekend shift as a processing tech in the core. The benefits were getting experience in a clean room with human tissue.

Cons

Some of my co-workers were extremely unprofessional. There is definitely a disconnect between the workers in the core and the outside office. I still have friends that work there and it seems like they are becoming more and more disgruntled with the management.

Mission and Core Values are well written but hard for organization to follow

I worked at AlloSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong on company Mission and Values. Great opportunity to start with this organization and use as a spring board.

Cons

Big company with small mom and pop mentality. Lacking in Structure and Stability which Management and Marketing is very weak.

Company with great mission but just getting off the ground

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at AlloSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people with a drive to help others

Cons

Just getting off the ground makes processes difficult and lengthy

Training should be more thorough in the field

In hindsight, it was a good place to work

Former Employee - Operations Technician III
    Former Employee - Operations Technician III

I worked at AlloSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to promote within Operations department and develop leadership skills.

Cons

It does not seem that management listened to the concerns of those working in Operations. Their focus was more on meeting the numbers and monetary achievements.

Labs Inc off shoot

Current Employee - Micro Tech
    Current Employee - Micro Tech

I have been working at AlloSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits but HR is a mess about them. The company has some good options for advancement. They pay for some additional college to polish up your missing science requirements. A good entrance into science but not medicine.

Cons

Very clicky in the lower entry level areas. Many employees are beat down. The company seems to have some issues in every area. Pay is lousy for Denver, however, this may be better if you in the lab area and you work night shift.

Start training internally.

Good benefits, but other companies provide good benefits and have better leadership.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at AlloSource full-time

Pros

AlloSource really does a good job of taking care of its employees with a good benefits package and 401K match. They try to maintain a feel good culture for their employees. "Everyday you do something important to save lives"

Cons

Management could be stronger. In my opinion people are in management roles that shouldn't be and left in those roles far longer than performance dictates as prudent.

Too many people in roles that harm the company's reputation in the field, and these people are kept around far too long. This should change because the company's reputation has been damaged with company outsiders.

Comfortable place helping people

I worked at AlloSource (less than an year)

Pros

Rewarding helping other people in need of medical attention.
    Great facility near DTC.
    Efficiency is always being tested in order to produce a better environment.

Cons

Not exactly a "fun" environment, compared to other top rated companies

Perfect on the outside - Rotten in the 'core'.

I have been working at AlloSource full-time

Pros

Allosource really 'cares' about what they do. It bleeds through the companies very walls. It's very rewarding and you feel like you are a part of something amazing.
    Amazing management - from the top to the very bottom.
    Fantastic CEO - actually cares about every single employee who works for him. Is always trying to find ways to improve his employees lives - either through wellness or work life/balance.
    The best of the best in new equipment.
    An employee always has what they need to get their job done.
    AMAZING benefits. (Tuition!)

Cons

Now. Here are the reasons I'm not giving this company five stars even though I desperately want to. There are two sides to this company - the administrative side and the labor side. Everyone on the administrative side has it AWESOME. It looks like a great area to work for and seems to very rewarding.

Now. The Core. This is where all of the technicians work. It is a team of about 100+ people who keep the donation of life moving along. MAJOR problems in this area. And NOT with management. It is with the technicians themselves. AlloSource seems to have no problem hiring family members. To get hired here it's strictly a "who you know" type of company. Which is very interesting because most companies frown on nepotism. And that is where this company is bleeding. In the Core. Where all of the mommies and daddies who work the ADMIN side get their little loving children hired - to work in the Core. There are only a few older people - mostly they work day shift - but the majority of the technicians are very young - barely out of high school and their age is FELT. Especially to any older employees who do the same job. Most of these kids have no higher education. Only high school graduates. They got hired because of they who know already in the company.

When I was hired I was told they enjoyed doing this. They trusted their existing employees to bring in 'good' workers.

I'm sorry, AlloSource, but this was not reflected well in the core.

I constantly found myself looking longingly down the hall to where the ADMIN staff resided and felt a loss. I would much rather have been upstairs working with HR than roughing it out in the sterile CORE environment surrounded by pubescent, hormonal 19-year-olds who shouldn't be trusted with a credit card much less the amazing gift of life organ donors entrust to this company on a daily basis.

The work itself was something I was used to. My complaint would be that in certain areas of my job there were a LOT of injuries. The hiring process is VERY rigorous. They put you through an intense physical just to make sure you can handle the job. I actually feel a lot of jobs should have been 'male' only. I ended up with a very serious wrist injury that still plagues me because of my work in the Core. Now - AlloSource takes care of their own. But almost everyone who works as a technician ends up with a long-term injury. And this is sad since most people are so young. But it also makes sense why they hire all these young people...older people are more worthy to handle this type of work...but they will break their backs ten times more quickly. It only took me two weeks of tech work before I ended up with my very serious wrist injury. I had been a very healthy person up until this job.

Granted, if I had not left shortly after the company would have covered all of my medical expenses and kept me off the bench as much as possible. But this is a real problem. They have a massive safety team and lots of ergonomic practices. They are opening a clinic on-site (a part of me believes for this very reason) so they do many things to prevent these types of injuries. Including having a physical therapist come on site several times a week - even to do preventive maintenance care! These are all warnings signs right there that everyone gets injured and the company is going to great lengths to prevent it. But it still doesn't happen.

Injuries.
    Bad Co-workers.
    Not enough micro-managing. --------- Not all of the managers can be in the CORE ---- it's a sterile environment and they have lots of things to do --------- but as a CORE employee my advice to management is to start watching their employees more closely. Hiring such young people comes with a big risk - laziness, lack of gratitude, lack of compassion, short cutting, bullying, etc.

You need to really pay attention to who you are making a trainer when you bring in new employees. There needs to be more rigorous screening (like the interview process) for anyone who wants to welcome new people into the fold. You need to get rid of this ridiculous 'nepotism' idea. Stop hiring your executive staff's children. They are ungrateful. They don't realize how fortunate they are. For most of them this is their first job and they don't have any idea how great of a company this really is because it was just handed to them. Most of your technicians are too young to appreciate what this company has to offer. All the benefits that are provided to them. The nice pay. It makes these young people spoiled, ignorant, and most of them have a lack of accountability. They could care less what they are doing - to them it's 'just a job'. Whereas I know that what AlloSource does is so much more than that.

Keep an eye on what they talk about in the core. It is not professional. They way they treat each other half the time is absolutely appalling. If they don't like a new employee their manager hired they will do everything they can to make them quit. The place is full of 'mean girls' and 'drug addicts'.

Why? Because most of them are only a year out of high school. I refuse to eat my lunch in the cafeteria because it takes me back ten years to my own high school days and I have no desire to relive them. There is nothing professional about someone standing up and screaming insults to a fellow employee across the room. There is nothing professional about being obnoxious and disruptive.

Also -there is a LOT of inter-office dating that just does not seem appropriate either. I'm not saying you need to tackle all of these things but I would make sure you are not letting your new employees suffer at any cost. Most of them I'm sure feel very privileged to have been hired and be there and you have a bunch of ungrateful children who are just using you for your tuition money so they can get up and leave you in four years. Concentrate on your 'lifers'.

Manage the negativity emitting from the core. Find ways to help middle management see the things that are happening. The management themselves are great people who do try to fix whatever problems come about. But it's not enough. Micro-managing sucks but you need to do it more if you are going to keep hiring anyone under the age of 22.

Excellent people, great senses of humor, a real mission to help and heal, and no business sense.

Current Employee - Engineer I in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Centennial, CO

I have been working at AlloSource full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Allosource is a really nice place to work. Other people have come here from other companies to get away from office politics, and employees stay for decades. It is a community, and one that really does care about helping people heal. Management is approachable, and people care about you.

This is a job you can go home feeling good about. Even if you are tired at the end of the day.

Cons

If you can't stand the sight of blood, human bones, tendons, don't work here. Seriously. You'll keep fainting.

This is a non-for-profit, so don't expect a massive salary. Also, there is little incentive to be competitive, so good business sense is lacking. Things are done for emotional and ideological reasons, as there is a mission to help people and respect the organ and tissue donor and families that overrides profit.

Departments tend to clump by personality type. The "nerd groups" like Microbiology, Engineering, an R&D stick together, while facilities and equipment management have their group.

Departments need to talk to each other.

Great high-level leadership, but middle management are bozos. Watch out for discrimination, undercutting, back-stabbing.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Centennial, CO

I worked at AlloSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the surface, this place is friendly and family-like. The pace at HQ is slow, which some will like, but others will find frustrating. The CEO is a nice guy--the place would be an excellent work place if there were more of him.

Cons

This company was bizarre beneath the "family-like" façade. For instance, my manager told me that I could no longer perform my job functions after I had a child--despite great job reviews--only because I'd had a child! Then I was demoted and moved to another department. Also had a senior manager of a different department who would call, screaming and crying over the phone, upset about something an entire other department had done--truly unbalanced and unprofessional. Lots of back-biting, rumors, and nepotism. The pay was on the low end of what generally goes in the medical industry.

Rein in the out of control middle managers--hire more respectable, balanced Director-level people.

AlloSource Photos