AlloSource

Updated Jul 17, 2014

AlloSource President Thomas Cycyota

Thomas Cycyota

Comfortable place helping people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRewarding helping other people in need of medical attention.
    Great facility near DTC.
    Efficiency is always being tested in order to produce a better environment.

ConsNot exactly a "fun" environment, compared to other top rated companies

Labs Inc off shoot

Micro Tech (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits but HR is a mess about them. The company has some good options for advancement. They pay for some additional college to polish up your missing science requirements. A good entrance into science but not medicine.

ConsVery clicky in the lower entry level areas. Many employees are beat down. The company seems to have some issues in every area. Pay is lousy for Denver, however, this may be better if you in the lab area and you work night shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart training internally.

Good benefits, but other companies provide good benefits and have better leadership.

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsAlloSource really does a good job of taking care of its employees with a good benefits package and 401K match. They try to maintain a feel good culture for their employees. "Everyday you do something important to save lives"

ConsManagement could be stronger. In my opinion people are in management roles that shouldn't be and left in those roles far longer than performance dictates as prudent.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people in roles that harm the company's reputation in the field, and these people are kept around far too long. This should change because the company's reputation has been damaged with company outsiders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Perfect on the outside - Rotten in the 'core'.

(Current Employee)

ProsAllosource really 'cares' about what they do. It bleeds through the companies very walls. It's very rewarding and you feel like you are a part of something amazing.
    Amazing management - from the top to the very bottom.
    Fantastic CEO - actually cares about every single employee who works for him. Is always trying to find ways to improve his employees lives - either through wellness or work life/balance.
    The best of the best in new equipment.
    An employee always has what they need to get their job done.
    AMAZING benefits. (Tuition!)

ConsNow. Here are the reasons I'm not giving this company five stars even though I desperately want to. There are two sides to this company - the administrative side and the labor side. Everyone on the administrative side has it AWESOME. It looks like a great area to work for and seems to very rewarding.

Now. The Core. This is where all of the technicians work. It is a team of about 100+ people who keep the donation of life moving along. MAJOR problems in this area. And NOT with management. It is with the technicians themselves. AlloSource seems to have no problem hiring family members. To get hired here it's strictly a "who you know" type of company. Which is very interesting because most companies frown on nepotism. And that is where this company is bleeding. In the Core. Where all of the mommies and daddies who work the ADMIN side get their little loving children hired - to work in the Core. There are only a few older people - mostly they work day shift - but the majority of the technicians are very young - barely out of high school and their age is FELT. Especially to any older employees who do the same job. Most of these kids have no higher education. Only high school graduates. They got hired because of they who know already in the company.

When I was hired I was told they enjoyed doing this. They trusted their existing employees to bring in 'good' workers.

I'm sorry, AlloSource, but this was not reflected well in the core.

I constantly found myself looking longingly down the hall to where the ADMIN staff resided and felt a loss. I would much rather have been upstairs working with HR than roughing it out in the sterile CORE environment surrounded by pubescent, hormonal 19-year-olds who shouldn't be trusted with a credit card much less the amazing gift of life organ donors entrust to this company on a daily basis.

The work itself was something I was used to. My complaint would be that in certain areas of my job there were a LOT of injuries. The hiring process is VERY rigorous. They put you through an intense physical just to make sure you can handle the job. I actually feel a lot of jobs should have been 'male' only. I ended up with a very serious wrist injury that still plagues me because of my work in the Core. Now - AlloSource takes care of their own. But almost everyone who works as a technician ends up with a long-term injury. And this is sad since most people are so young. But it also makes sense why they hire all these young people...older people are more worthy to handle this type of work...but they will break their backs ten times more quickly. It only took me two weeks of tech work before I ended up with my very serious wrist injury. I had been a very healthy person up until this job.

Granted, if I had not left shortly after the company would have covered all of my medical expenses and kept me off the bench as much as possible. But this is a real problem. They have a massive safety team and lots of ergonomic practices. They are opening a clinic on-site (a part of me believes for this very reason) so they do many things to prevent these types of injuries. Including having a physical therapist come on site several times a week - even to do preventive maintenance care! These are all warnings signs right there that everyone gets injured and the company is going to great lengths to prevent it. But it still doesn't happen.

Injuries.
    Bad Co-workers.
    Not enough micro-managing. --------- Not all of the managers can be in the CORE ---- it's a sterile environment and they have lots of things to do --------- but as a CORE employee my advice to management is to start watching their employees more closely. Hiring such young people comes with a big risk - laziness, lack of gratitude, lack of compassion, short cutting, bullying, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to really pay attention to who you are making a trainer when you bring in new employees. There needs to be more rigorous screening (like the interview process) for anyone who wants to welcome new people into the fold. You need to get rid of this ridiculous 'nepotism' idea. Stop hiring your executive staff's children. They are ungrateful. They don't realize how fortunate they are. For most of them this is their first job and they don't have any idea how great of a company this really is because it was just handed to them. Most of your technicians are too young to appreciate what this company has to offer. All the benefits that are provided to them. The nice pay. It makes these young people spoiled, ignorant, and most of them have a lack of accountability. They could care less what they are doing - to them it's 'just a job'. Whereas I know that what AlloSource does is so much more than that.

Keep an eye on what they talk about in the core. It is not professional. They way they treat each other half the time is absolutely appalling. If they don't like a new employee their manager hired they will do everything they can to make them quit. The place is full of 'mean girls' and 'drug addicts'.

Why? Because most of them are only a year out of high school. I refuse to eat my lunch in the cafeteria because it takes me back ten years to my own high school days and I have no desire to relive them. There is nothing professional about someone standing up and screaming insults to a fellow employee across the room. There is nothing professional about being obnoxious and disruptive.

Also -there is a LOT of inter-office dating that just does not seem appropriate either. I'm not saying you need to tackle all of these things but I would make sure you are not letting your new employees suffer at any cost. Most of them I'm sure feel very privileged to have been hired and be there and you have a bunch of ungrateful children who are just using you for your tuition money so they can get up and leave you in four years. Concentrate on your 'lifers'.

Manage the negativity emitting from the core. Find ways to help middle management see the things that are happening. The management themselves are great people who do try to fix whatever problems come about. But it's not enough. Micro-managing sucks but you need to do it more if you are going to keep hiring anyone under the age of 22.

Excellent people, great senses of humor, a real mission to help and heal, and no business sense.

Engineer I (Current Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsAllosource is a really nice place to work. Other people have come here from other companies to get away from office politics, and employees stay for decades. It is a community, and one that really does care about helping people heal. Management is approachable, and people care about you.

This is a job you can go home feeling good about. Even if you are tired at the end of the day.

ConsIf you can't stand the sight of blood, human bones, tendons, don't work here. Seriously. You'll keep fainting.

This is a non-for-profit, so don't expect a massive salary. Also, there is little incentive to be competitive, so good business sense is lacking. Things are done for emotional and ideological reasons, as there is a mission to help people and respect the organ and tissue donor and families that overrides profit.

Departments tend to clump by personality type. The "nerd groups" like Microbiology, Engineering, an R&D stick together, while facilities and equipment management have their group.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartments need to talk to each other.

Great high-level leadership, but middle management are bozos. Watch out for discrimination, undercutting, back-stabbing.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsOn the surface, this place is friendly and family-like. The pace at HQ is slow, which some will like, but others will find frustrating. The CEO is a nice guy--the place would be an excellent work place if there were more of him.

ConsThis company was bizarre beneath the "family-like" façade. For instance, my manager told me that I could no longer perform my job functions after I had a child--despite great job reviews--only because I'd had a child! Then I was demoted and moved to another department. Also had a senior manager of a different department who would call, screaming and crying over the phone, upset about something an entire other department had done--truly unbalanced and unprofessional. Lots of back-biting, rumors, and nepotism. The pay was on the low end of what generally goes in the medical industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementRein in the out of control middle managers--hire more respectable, balanced Director-level people.

Former Central Services Technician

Central Services Technician (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis was a really great place to work. The hourly wage was good and the benefits were fantastic. I was eligible for benefits after 30 days. Medical, dental, vision, 401k the works. The training was really good and the upper management was happy to answer any questions. The co-workers were also great. They were very focused on employee wellness and there were great perks: a deep discount on a 24hr fitness gym membership, and gift cards for filling out a self-reported log of your home or gym workouts. The employees at my location would sometimes go for a 30 min walk during the lunch hour to add time to their log to get a gift card. I think I got one every month that they did that promotion. The CEO is very personable and makes everyone from the managers to the lowly technicians feel like they matter. When the company bought lunches it was always something healthy and delicious. It was really refreshing to work for a company that also promoted wellness of the employees.

ConsStanding for long hours and heavy lifting was required when working in the clean room. There were a few bad employees that liked to slack off and it was hard for any of the upper management to see it because they weren't in the clean room with the technicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou did a great job and keep up the wellness perks.

Operations Processing Technician

Operations Processing Technician (Current Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsHours, Pay, Benefits, tuition reimbursement

ConsSome people are difficult to work with due to attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to AND implement suggestions from employees.

Great mission, but difficult environment at times

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe company truly has the ability to enhance and save people's lives. From the administrative staff to those who make the products; every person truly makes a difference.

ConsSalaries are not comparable to industry.
    Management does not communicate effectively.
    Favoritism is prevalent; people are promoted or hired based on relationship with management, not skills or qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to develop your current employees.
    Create opportunities to advance employees with skills.

Worked for AlloSource? Contribute to the Community!