Allscripts

Updated January 22, 2015
2.9

Allscripts CEO Paul Black
Paul Black

Pros
  • Work life balance was good until latest management change (in 40 reviews)

• Work from home option (required if implementation consultant) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining work /life balance caused some employees to seek other job options (in 19 reviews)

• A big chunk of the senior management lacks in competent interpersonal skills and are very narrow minded (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Easy job, no stress, good commute

Cons

No advancement opportunities, company does not have an image. Low profile, low morale

Need to have new management

Interesting Work; Need Technology Improvements

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts

Pros

Many different opportunities exist in EHR and Healthcare.

Cons

Allscripts is not a high-tech leader. They need to focus on a technology uplift.

Consider the technical underpinnings of your solutions and not just the 'clinical' aspects.

Was great until Eclipsys merger followed by new CEO

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home (when necessary). Not much micromanaging day to day. Reasonable job stability with not much in the way of layoffs.

Cons

After the merger with Eclipsys, the management was gutted from Allscripts and Eclipsys people were put in charge. Unfortunately, Eclipsys was going downshift, before the merger, and their managers were not familiar with the small physician practices. They were only familiar with hospitals. It's fine to outsource Support to India when you are dealing with hospitals which have all their own IT staffs. It is not fine when there are office managers and doctors calling in directly.
       Even that merger was bearable, until they ousted the previous CEO and brought in the current CEO. He was on record as getting over $10 million just for coming on as CEO, and, yet, in his first meeting with the employees, he was asked about employee bonuses/raises. He told us to stop worrying about such things, and just to put our heads down and do our work, and shut up. I guess as long as he gets his $, then things are fine.
       Then, the company mismanaged putting a new Oracle accounting system in place (financial reports still aren't right after 1 1/2 years) and that ended up with the head of development reporting back to the COO that , no, none of his people were using the after hours pay. They reported this back to the board, and said they could cut after hours pay for development, support and services and save lots of money. When it was discovered that the head of development had just gotten bad numbers, they didn't want the embarrassment of telling the board they were wrong, so they went forward with eliminating the overtime pay for everyone. This included some teams in Services, where people were working an extra 30+ hours each week, and making $30K extra per year, while bringing in an extra $250K for the company. The company didn't like idea of people making so much extra money, so they canceled the after hours incentives, and lost the huge additional profit they were making, and destroyed employee morale.
       We have also watched, as VP after VP was hired in from the new CEO's old friends at his old company. Most times, the new VPs were not VPs in their old position. Cronyism runs rampant.

Reorg the company. There should be no VPs with no people under them. We have just shy of 200 people with VP or AVP in their title now, while we only have 6000 people in the company. We should have 30-50 VPs at most, not 200. That will save a few million each year, right there.
    Bring back all client facing positions (including Support) to the US. Customers don't want to talk to India.
    Give raises and bonuses to top performing employees.
    Worry about making and selling a better product, and stop focusing on squeezing the last penny from the employees who are already lowest on the salary grades.
    Bring back after hours pay, even if at 50% of what it was. Employees perform far better if they feel they are being compensated for their time, rather than having nothing in it for them, but more work, and the possibility that they will get a 1.8% raise at the end of the year, instead of 1.5%.

Great company if you are truly interested in Healthcare IT

Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the collaborative aspects of my Job

Cons

Allscripts is a very silo-ed organization that struggles to work as one cohesive unit

Hold the organization stable for a period longer than 2 years

No leadership, poor managers, no direction, lousy support for clients

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I still have friends that work in a different section and enjoy their work and their managers. Some projects and products are better than others.

Cons

NO leadership and some awful managers. HR Business Partners defended manager even when issues were reported within 1 month of employment; my manager had been demoted for same complaints I lodged, but then promoted again. Favoritism and clicks made the environment feel like high school. Was told to request and take time off for out of office personal appts, even though worked 60+ hours a week, salaried. (I understand structure has since changed.) Expected to answer company issued phone 24/7 and perform miracles. Micromanaged by manager even though I had more experience. Few clients were happy overall and response from Allscripts management was tell your clients we'll sue if they try to back out of contracts. Blackballed when I escalated issues with manager. Worst position in my career and left to save my professional reputation.

I don't know that compensation would help, but definitely internal training, soft skills, and leadership workshops would be helpful for top level managers. Redesign the entire HR recruitment, hiring, retention, and promotion process. For other managers, 360 reviews would be helpful as too many have no idea they're inefficient and ineffective, I don't recall ever seeing my manager complete anything. Too many mergers has left no clear vision or identify of the product for the overall market, you can't be all things to everyone. Build a better widget and stop spreading yourselves so thinly.

Heavily Outsourced with No Work Life Balance

Former Employee - Expert Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Expert Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salaries
    Ability to work from home

Cons

Indian Contractors and Employees dominate this company-lack of interpersonal and communication skills when interfacing with Americans is a big problem.
    Continuous Crisis mode, working 7 days a week 12-14 hour days is not uncommon. No Work-Life Balance
    Very weak teams--lack of cohesiveness

Invest in American employees in America--stop trying to innovate new products with a hodge-podge of cheap foreign labor.
    Show some appreciation and have some team strengthening events
    Invest in your employees--facilities --good work areas, fitness center

Lacking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work here are great.

Cons

Employees live in a state of fear. Fearing they will be let go, downsized. Many people feel they are on a ship bailing water.
    Lack of quality detailed highly needed product training. They do a lot of on line recorded training that doesn't provide the information needed to support products.

Management does what they are told to produce numbers. Those that care can't do what is needed to make a positive change in the right direction. Ask those who were here when it was profitable and positive environment to work in "why" it was that way, what we did right, what was taken away that makes us what we are today.

India Support is not capable of supporting our clients in the manner in which they need to be. Few know what they are doing or care.

Sr Manager Development

Current Employee - Senior Manager Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance. opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

too many reorg changes at the upper management level which cause some instability.

Not what is use to be

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with and or culture, Compensation can be good if reporting to manger that can see value and notice hard work.

Cons

Benefits not that great, Gym was taken away from facility, No executive leadership and or vision.

Reward talented employees and remove the dead wait. Value employee's Idea's as they literally run the company from a profitability standpoint. I suggest CEO look deeper into what and why decisions are being made below that do not get filtered to the top due to there own hidden agendas. The companies constantly changing reorganization structure to resolve inefficiencies and to meet goals are negatively impacting the business. This is most likely due to the same people making these decisions or just delegating but shifting them around to roles they should not be in.

Great talented people have been leaving within the organizations critical groups and it's unfortunate that the CEO does not see this.

This place sucks thats a great title

Former Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NONE!! they could careless about you they will just fire you and replace!

Cons

Everything!! The software is crap they keep updating it with more bugs and feed this crap to the clients who if the woke up they would find other products are much better!

CLEAN HOUSE and start over!! The main software should be trashed and rewritten!! Wake up clients there are much better products out there!!