Allscripts Reviews

1. Good medium sized company

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

There was lots of focus on employees and trying to cultivate a good company atmosphere. Had lots of parties, the most PTO days I've ever seen at a company (23 +1 floating day +10 holidays)

Cons

Salaries not competitive, hard to get promoted internally. Caliber of average employee was less than that at other companies I have worked for. Had ability to work from home, but it was looked down on.

Advice to Management

Company needs more strategic focus, and be honest with employees. Company meetings made it always seemed like we were in the perfect spot in the market, which just isnt true. Need better strategists and employee communication.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Services organization is a better place than support. Team is like family in many ways. Some US and some India based employees, but mostly co-operate together really well. After 15+ years, I am happier than ever to work here.

Cons

Silos across development teams.

Advice to Management

Concentrate MORE on the small clients- they are genuinely our bread and butter!

Support Technical Consultant

Former Employee - Support Technical Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Support Technical Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great there. Flexibility. Ability to work from home some days not all. Great health insurance

Cons

Learn on your own. Management does not care about workload. Knowledge base is bad. Promotions based off how long you worked there not skill level. To many managers that do not know the product. Takes one year to go from contract to full time 90% of time. Lots of India hiring shifting more to moving jobs there. 3 lay offs in the one year I was there.

Advice to Management

More support for your support. Acknowledge good work more.

Implementation Consultant

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts

Pros

People oriented. Care for employees and clients

Cons

Billability and Utilization are everything

Advice to Management

Focus more on better upper management/client relationships.

6. Challenging work environment, but generally rewardinig

Current Contractor - Technical Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Technical Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Health IT is constantly changing so the challenges never end--nothing monotonous about the work. Many of my colleagues are off-shore and I enjoy the cross-cultural dialogue.

Cons

Because the context of Health IT is constantly changing, there is a constant need to catch up to what is going on. This can lead to confusion about who is doing what. With a large company, such communication can be difficult.

Advice to Management

As always, communicate with everyone at all levels to get a better understanding of the actual employee culture.

Decent Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Easy job, no stress, good commute

Cons

No advancement opportunities, company does not have an image. Low profile, low morale

Advice to Management

Need to have new management

Organization is lacking

Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to Work from home
    Fast Paced, Always Changing

Cons

Management is almost non existent
    No positive Feedback
    Micro Management
    No team work
    No raises (even though promised)
    Bonuses are a lie, unless your upper management
    No opportunity for advancement
    No Support

Advice to Management

The same focus you place on cutting corners, and saving $1 should be placed on customer service for employees and customers. Now, I understand why so many customers were no unhappy and feel misled. Also, you should keep good, hard working employees instead of favoring those who befriend you and your colleagues.

Interesting Work; Need Technology Improvements

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts

Pros

Many different opportunities exist in EHR and Healthcare.

Cons

Allscripts is not a high-tech leader. They need to focus on a technology uplift.

Advice to Management

Consider the technical underpinnings of your solutions and not just the 'clinical' aspects.

Was great until Eclipsys merger followed by new CEO

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home (when necessary). Not much micromanaging day to day. Reasonable job stability with not much in the way of layoffs.

Cons

After the merger with Eclipsys, the management was gutted from Allscripts and Eclipsys people were put in charge. Unfortunately, Eclipsys was going downshift, before the merger, and their managers were not familiar with the small physician practices. They were only familiar with hospitals. It's fine to outsource Support to India when you are dealing with hospitals which have all their own IT staffs. It is not fine when there are office managers and doctors calling in directly.
       Even that merger was bearable, until they ousted the previous CEO and brought in the current CEO. He was on record as getting over $10 million just for coming on as CEO, and, yet, in his first meeting with the employees, he was asked about employee bonuses/raises. He told us to stop worrying about such things, and just to put our heads down and do our work, and shut up. I guess as long as he gets his $, then things are fine.
       Then, the company mismanaged putting a new Oracle accounting system in place (financial reports still aren't right after 1 1/2 years) and that ended up with the head of development reporting back to the COO that , no, none of his people were using the after hours pay. They reported this back to the board, and said they could cut after hours pay for development, support and services and save lots of money. When it was discovered that the head of development had just gotten bad numbers, they didn't want the embarrassment of telling the board they were wrong, so they went forward with eliminating the overtime pay for everyone. This included some teams in Services, where people were working an extra 30+ hours each week, and making $30K extra per year, while bringing in an extra $250K for the company. The company didn't like idea of people making so much extra money, so they canceled the after hours incentives, and lost the huge additional profit they were making, and destroyed employee morale.
       We have also watched, as VP after VP was hired in from the new CEO's old friends at his old company. Most times, the new VPs were not VPs in their old position. Cronyism runs rampant.

Advice to Management

Reorg the company. There should be no VPs with no people under them. We have just shy of 200 people with VP or AVP in their title now, while we only have 6000 people in the company. We should have 30-50 VPs at most, not 200. That will save a few million each year, right there.
    Bring back all client facing positions (including Support) to the US. Customers don't want to talk to India.
    Give raises and bonuses to top performing employees.
    Worry about making and selling a better product, and stop focusing on squeezing the last penny from the employees who are already lowest on the salary grades.
    Bring back after hours pay, even if at 50% of what it was. Employees perform far better if they feel they are being compensated for their time, rather than having nothing in it for them, but more work, and the possibility that they will get a 1.8% raise at the end of the year, instead of 1.5%.

Lacking Innovation & Losing Market Share

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, can work from home/remote office, ability to self manage

Cons

Not viewed as a solid choice to partner with from healthcare organizations and hospital leaders. Did not innovate during meaningful use and lost customer focus. Sales organization is disorganized with a lack of a single company strategy and leader. Are losing clients, especially hospital clients. Grew quickly through acquisition and never integrated acquired solutions nor were the company cultures integrated.

Advice to Management

Need to reduce middle management and streamline internal operations. Should fix internal systems such as Oracle and Salesforce.com to make them work for the employees that must use them. Both are great products but were implemented very poorly at Allscripts.