Allscripts

Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Allscripts CEO Paul Black
Paul Black

Pros
  • Work life balance was good until latest management change (in 40 reviews)

• Work from home option (required if implementation consultant) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining work /life balance caused some employees to seek other job options (in 19 reviews)

• A big chunk of the senior management lacks in competent interpersonal skills and are very narrow minded (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer internship program

Former Employee - Summer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Summer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Allscripts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience. I enjoyed the way that everything played out for my summer internship. Had the needed things to get me through, and if I didnt I had a contact who would figure things out for me. Have to do a presentation at the end, but as long as you didn't slack all the way through your summer it isn't too hard.

Cons

Only worked three days a week, but that's not allscripts fault that was my employers decision. A few of the seminars that I attended seemed a little dry, but were still informative and worth seeing.

Keep the summer internship program going! It is a good opportunity to get allscripts name out there

Not my ideal employer to date

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are one of the chosen few who were with the company from the beginning, you have little to worry about.

Cons

Acquisitions are for customer base alone. Customers of acquired companies seem displeased with changes

Get rid of the toxic environment by bringing in new senior management.

structure is difficult for Job growth and advance

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good range of products, Cross product training may benefit for job growth if you get chance, Flexible work from home opportunity.

Cons

personal benefits needs to improve, Bonus structure is really poor, external training is rare to get, Needs to plan integration of internal and external products. Very poor quality hosting services offering.

No concrete plans for employee growth, Sales contract are really poor and don't enforce methodology for implementation.

Difficult to navigate company

Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Executive

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can make a great living, depending on which group you work for.

Cons

Lots of managers with personal agendas. Unrealistic sales expectations. Still bleeding money.

Figure it out before tons of good people leave the company!

Opportunity for Growth

I have been working at Allscripts full-time

Pros

Working from Home. Starting pay is good. Management listens to their employees. Opportunity for growth.

Cons

Pay raises and Bonus structure.

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Allscripts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Helping environment, good work ethics

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

Lacking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work here are great.

Cons

Employees live in a state of fear. Fearing they will be let go, downsized. Many people feel they are on a ship bailing water.
    Lack of quality detailed highly needed product training. They do a lot of on line recorded training that doesn't provide the information needed to support products.

Management does what they are told to produce numbers. Those that care can't do what is needed to make a positive change in the right direction. Ask those who were here when it was profitable and positive environment to work in "why" it was that way, what we did right, what was taken away that makes us what we are today.

India Support is not capable of supporting our clients in the manner in which they need to be. Few know what they are doing or care.

Not what is use to be

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with and or culture, Compensation can be good if reporting to manger that can see value and notice hard work.

Cons

Benefits not that great, Gym was taken away from facility, No executive leadership and or vision.

Reward talented employees and remove the dead wait. Value employee's Idea's as they literally run the company from a profitability standpoint. I suggest CEO look deeper into what and why decisions are being made below that do not get filtered to the top due to there own hidden agendas. The companies constantly changing reorganization structure to resolve inefficiencies and to meet goals are negatively impacting the business. This is most likely due to the same people making these decisions or just delegating but shifting them around to roles they should not be in.

Great talented people have been leaving within the organizations critical groups and it's unfortunate that the CEO does not see this.

Strong Company that could be stronger

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, new issues every day, not the same thing daily. Money is decent, Work from home occasionally, minimal travel. Office Events.

Cons

Biggest issue this company has is cross department communication, especially with new products. New software is developed, rolled out, documented poorly, hard to install, and then dumped into support. They struggle, look for documentation/help and it's a scavenger hunt to find the people/information. There are so many add-on products that it is hard to be an expert on everything.

Also a majority of the managers are new blood. They didn't start at the bottom, they don't understand the product, they don't always make the best decisions. Also a lot of the little benefits that made Allscripts stand out around surrounding companies have been taken away to save money. Top performers don't get rewarded like they use to. Stock gifts were quite common 5 years ago. Techs who carry pager now no longer get paid for working after hours. Support techs are also now stuck in a primary system where they are in charge of 7-10 clients. They all have weekly meetings for an hour with each client. Add in prep time for the calls they spend 2 days of the week talking to clients on about what needs to be done, and 3 days trying to actually do work.

New software being developed should receive input from both upgrades/support during the process. This way any easy adjustments can be made to benefit all departments. For the first few months it should be supported initially by the developers who wrote it. There should be a bigger transition period to support. Documentation for support can and should be written by support while in this transition period so that they can have access with the developers to ask the right questions. Top performers should be rewarded better. Managers should have to go through the same product training that everyone else does. They should also have to work cases for a while, and perform software installs/upgrades to understand the big picture. Having a manager say on a client conference call "I'm just a manager and don't know the product that well." is real reassuring for clients:)

Sr Manager Development

Current Employee - Senior Manager Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance. opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

too many reorg changes at the upper management level which cause some instability.