Allscripts

Updated January 29, 2015
2.9

Allscripts CEO Paul Black
Paul Black

Pros
  • Work life balance was good until latest management change (in 40 reviews)

• Work from home option (required if implementation consultant) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining work /life balance caused some employees to seek other job options (in 19 reviews)

• A big chunk of the senior management lacks in competent interpersonal skills and are very narrow minded (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I'm mostly satisfied working with this company.

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, Decent PTO, friendly workplace

Cons

Salaries are below national averages

Decent Company

Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Easy job, no stress, good commute

Cons

No advancement opportunities, company does not have an image. Low profile, low morale

Need to have new management

Very political and very top heavy

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, good salary

Cons

Very political and very top heavy

Great Workplace

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Helpful Colleagues and enormous learning opportunities.

Cons

Low Compensation and not so competitive perks.

Great on your resume, opens doors to great opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at Allscripts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits!

Cons

Too many bosses to report to. Remote work can be difficult.

Listen to your consultants and their concerns.

Pass this one by and look for a smaller org to work for

Current Employee - Post Acute Sales in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Post Acute Sales in Remote, OR

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Close knit colleagues that band together despite hardships at company

Cons

Close knit culture because colleagues are banning together due to being beat up by management. Folks that exceed quota are not guaranteed club. Commissions being held in some cases a full year. Folks put into management roles that have questionable motives and knowledge. No update to products in some cases for over 10 years. Talent is quitting with huge turnover

Change management and or get more involved in middle management decisions to prevent the reputation from being worst than what it currently is portraying

Interesting Work; Need Technology Improvements

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts

Pros

Many different opportunities exist in EHR and Healthcare.

Cons

Allscripts is not a high-tech leader. They need to focus on a technology uplift.

Consider the technical underpinnings of your solutions and not just the 'clinical' aspects.

Was great until Eclipsys merger followed by new CEO

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home (when necessary). Not much micromanaging day to day. Reasonable job stability with not much in the way of layoffs.

Cons

After the merger with Eclipsys, the management was gutted from Allscripts and Eclipsys people were put in charge. Unfortunately, Eclipsys was going downshift, before the merger, and their managers were not familiar with the small physician practices. They were only familiar with hospitals. It's fine to outsource Support to India when you are dealing with hospitals which have all their own IT staffs. It is not fine when there are office managers and doctors calling in directly.
       Even that merger was bearable, until they ousted the previous CEO and brought in the current CEO. He was on record as getting over $10 million just for coming on as CEO, and, yet, in his first meeting with the employees, he was asked about employee bonuses/raises. He told us to stop worrying about such things, and just to put our heads down and do our work, and shut up. I guess as long as he gets his $, then things are fine.
       Then, the company mismanaged putting a new Oracle accounting system in place (financial reports still aren't right after 1 1/2 years) and that ended up with the head of development reporting back to the COO that , no, none of his people were using the after hours pay. They reported this back to the board, and said they could cut after hours pay for development, support and services and save lots of money. When it was discovered that the head of development had just gotten bad numbers, they didn't want the embarrassment of telling the board they were wrong, so they went forward with eliminating the overtime pay for everyone. This included some teams in Services, where people were working an extra 30+ hours each week, and making $30K extra per year, while bringing in an extra $250K for the company. The company didn't like idea of people making so much extra money, so they canceled the after hours incentives, and lost the huge additional profit they were making, and destroyed employee morale.
       We have also watched, as VP after VP was hired in from the new CEO's old friends at his old company. Most times, the new VPs were not VPs in their old position. Cronyism runs rampant.

Reorg the company. There should be no VPs with no people under them. We have just shy of 200 people with VP or AVP in their title now, while we only have 6000 people in the company. We should have 30-50 VPs at most, not 200. That will save a few million each year, right there.
    Bring back all client facing positions (including Support) to the US. Customers don't want to talk to India.
    Give raises and bonuses to top performing employees.
    Worry about making and selling a better product, and stop focusing on squeezing the last penny from the employees who are already lowest on the salary grades.
    Bring back after hours pay, even if at 50% of what it was. Employees perform far better if they feel they are being compensated for their time, rather than having nothing in it for them, but more work, and the possibility that they will get a 1.8% raise at the end of the year, instead of 1.5%.

Implementation Consultant

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Option to work from Home. Brilliant people work for the company.

Cons

No Work Life Balance. Overall the company under values their employees and is solely looking to contain cost - despite the impact to clients.

Excellent learning experience

Former Employee - Practice Management Imple in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Practice Management Imple in Louisville, KY

I worked at Allscripts

Pros

Excellent introduction to electronic health record implementation market

Cons

Travel was 100% and would have been more manageable at 75%. Rarely saw my home base.