www.allscripts.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Allscripts Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Allscripts CEO Paul Black

Paul Black

Pros:
  • "Free Transport / Work Life Balance to some extent"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Work from home (although new CEO discourages this because he must think we"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expectation is that there is no work life balance work, work, work but no appreciation for this"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Senior management changes it's direction every couple of months"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging Work and Some Good People

Associate Project Manager (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts as a contractor for more than a year

Pros-Fast paced work environment
-Some corporate veterans with lots of experience and able to give sound advice
-Great location and easy access to parking

Cons-"More-with-less" culture developing
-Odd politics between some upper management
-Promotions seem slow
-Formal reviews are lacking
-Multitasking is stressed to the point that inefficient/ineffective work flow results

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to avoid harming the customers and employees, avoid corporate-political banter, be willing to spread the work load equally (i.e. hire/train more people), and be willing to pay for effective/efficient labor (i.e. "you get what you pay for").

Great Company

I have been working at Allscripts

ProsSalary good, benefits good, work challenging

Consshort staffed, need to hire more people for our work load

Database Administrator

Database Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allscripts full-time for more than a year

ProsAllows working from home. Good quality co-workers. Starting pay is very good. My direct manager is the best manager I have ever had. PTO is given in one lump sum upon starting and on Jan 1 of each year and you do not have to wait for accrual to take PTO. Overall very happy with benefits.

ConsPay raises are not all that great. Medical benefits cost has gone up. Big company but still has weird policies from the smaller company that it started out as.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting salary is good, wish you would have better raises for good employees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Allscripts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Allscripts

ProsGood benefits & ok compensation. Great team of professionals to work with. Work life balance was good until latest management change.

ConsLeadership constantly changed while there. Many unnecessary changes due to re-organization.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Allscripts full-time for less than a year

ProsThis review is for the team that I worked in.
Management is transparent, team is friendly and helpful, employee oriented. Feedback loop is great, what you say is heard and action will be taken. Great work and life balance. Career opportunities are good.

Consthere are no stock options it'll be nice if employees are make part of the company.
There has being major restructuring in the company, because of good and old employees being let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

The Culture Claims are Bogus

Burlington, MA

I have been working at Allscripts full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive pay rates to start. Benefits are competitive.

ConsPromotions are really slow. Pay increases barely keep up with inflation. They have a lot of talk about culture and try to make some activities, but this does not make up for the political environment where you are talked about behind your back.

Appearances are everything there, keep your head down, maintain a good façade if you work there

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a developing problem with "gossip" ruining your teams.

Embrace change and challenges

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allscripts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company's mission for a connected community makes it worthwhile to to muddle through some of the red tape and challenges. If someone I love finds themselves in a hospital or Dr's office - I truly hope they have Allscripts connected to the community exchange so that the best possible decisions can be made by the HCP. Allscripts is generous with PTO, but the workload makes it difficult to actualy take any time off. I personally embrace the atmosphere of change and the challenges it brings.

ConsThe company's 'pay for performance' review cycles need a critical eye. Regardless of the HR talking points - all employees are reviewed on a bell curve. You can exceed 100% of the goals set forth and still barely acheive a middle of the road rating. Long term employees seem to be below scale for the industry in terms of basic compensation. The perception is that in order to advance past middle management, it is far better to be hired from the outside versus being promoted from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementLast year was tumultuous, but our direction seems to have steadied lately. Don't force our clients hands into upgrade or migration decisions. Make it compelling for them to make the choice without the carrot and stick.

Allscripts

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allscripts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsQuality peers for the most part with a good understanding of the product that they support as well as a good knowledge base. Benefits are good and the cost of benefits used to be good. PTO benefits not bad.

ConsCost of medical benefits has increased substantially in 2014, including deductibles, copays, rx copays. Amount of raise from annual review may cover the increased cost of healthcare, which will make it a wash. Promotions seem limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain open lines of communication.

Allscripts

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allscripts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere is significant sales opportunity from within the client base to sell existing and new features.

ConsThe company has client satisfaction issues related to implementation and functional issues with its partners due to its varied software client base. Too much politics and internal 'clubs' hindering success.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the point of view and advice of your long term employees to drive change given the legacy client base it affects.

Allscripts has made smart business decisions. Anyone who survived the dotcom bomb can appreciate it here.

Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Allscripts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat location and wonderful, interesting projects for a QA person.

ConsA junior QA person would struggle with the complexity and demands. The offshore model needs to be updated as too much work is on the U.S. team at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to keep the seasoned talent from leaving the company - we've lost too many good people. Make bonuses a guarantee for certain positions and grades. Stop allowing people who worked at the original "ECIN" company to come and go like the company is a revolving door.

Worked for Allscripts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allscripts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allscripts CEO Paul Black. All 354 reviews posted anonymously by Allscripts employees.