Allscripts

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014

Allscripts CEO Paul Black
Paul Black

Pros
  • Work life balance was good until latest management change (in 40 reviews)

• Work from home option (required if implementation consultant) (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining work /life balance caused some employees to seek other job options (in 19 reviews)

• A big chunk of the senior management lacks in competent interpersonal skills and are very narrow minded (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Allscripts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Helping environment, good work ethics

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

Strong Company that could be stronger

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, new issues every day, not the same thing daily. Money is decent, Work from home occasionally, minimal travel. Office Events.

Cons

Biggest issue this company has is cross department communication, especially with new products. New software is developed, rolled out, documented poorly, hard to install, and then dumped into support. They struggle, look for documentation/help and it's a scavenger hunt to find the people/information. There are so many add-on products that it is hard to be an expert on everything.

Also a majority of the managers are new blood. They didn't start at the bottom, they don't understand the product, they don't always make the best decisions. Also a lot of the little benefits that made Allscripts stand out around surrounding companies have been taken away to save money. Top performers don't get rewarded like they use to. Stock gifts were quite common 5 years ago. Techs who carry pager now no longer get paid for working after hours. Support techs are also now stuck in a primary system where they are in charge of 7-10 clients. They all have weekly meetings for an hour with each client. Add in prep time for the calls they spend 2 days of the week talking to clients on about what needs to be done, and 3 days trying to actually do work.

New software being developed should receive input from both upgrades/support during the process. This way any easy adjustments can be made to benefit all departments. For the first few months it should be supported initially by the developers who wrote it. There should be a bigger transition period to support. Documentation for support can and should be written by support while in this transition period so that they can have access with the developers to ask the right questions. Top performers should be rewarded better. Managers should have to go through the same product training that everyone else does. They should also have to work cases for a while, and perform software installs/upgrades to understand the big picture. Having a manager say on a client conference call "I'm just a manager and don't know the product that well." is real reassuring for clients:)

Lacking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work here are great.

Cons

Employees live in a state of fear. Fearing they will be let go, downsized. Many people feel they are on a ship bailing water.
    Lack of quality detailed highly needed product training. They do a lot of on line recorded training that doesn't provide the information needed to support products.

Management does what they are told to produce numbers. Those that care can't do what is needed to make a positive change in the right direction. Ask those who were here when it was profitable and positive environment to work in "why" it was that way, what we did right, what was taken away that makes us what we are today.

India Support is not capable of supporting our clients in the manner in which they need to be. Few know what they are doing or care.

Sr Manager Development

Current Employee - Senior Manager Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance. opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

too many reorg changes at the upper management level which cause some instability.

Not what is use to be

Current Employee - Principal Architect in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Architect in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with and or culture, Compensation can be good if reporting to manger that can see value and notice hard work.

Cons

Benefits not that great, Gym was taken away from facility, No executive leadership and or vision.

Reward talented employees and remove the dead wait. Value employee's Idea's as they literally run the company from a profitability standpoint. I suggest CEO look deeper into what and why decisions are being made below that do not get filtered to the top due to there own hidden agendas. The companies constantly changing reorganization structure to resolve inefficiencies and to meet goals are negatively impacting the business. This is most likely due to the same people making these decisions or just delegating but shifting them around to roles they should not be in.

Great talented people have been leaving within the organizations critical groups and it's unfortunate that the CEO does not see this.

QA ANALYST

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, no pressure, no hard deadlines, stable application, good benifits, treats employees very well, latest technologies, profitable company, easy going company

Cons

Bonus is very less, growth is not so easy, managing global team and coordinating projects gets difficult some times with time zone issues. salary growth is very less.

Senior Solutions Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, a lot of good collaboration and work associates.

Cons

Career path is limited, no promotions.

A lot of good people leave the company because there is no career growth.

This place sucks thats a great title

Former Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NONE!! they could careless about you they will just fire you and replace!

Cons

Everything!! The software is crap they keep updating it with more bugs and feed this crap to the clients who if the woke up they would find other products are much better!

CLEAN HOUSE and start over!! The main software should be trashed and rewritten!! Wake up clients there are much better products out there!!

It was a decent company prior to the 2010 Allscripts/Eclipsys merger

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

During my time at Allscripts, I meet and worked with very talented people,
    several that I still have as friends. I miss them, but not the company.

Cons

Having read all of the comments here, it appears that the decline is far worse now, than it was when I was there.

The Allscripts/Eclipsys merger in 2010.

Outsourcing
    The only thing that was soon obvious to anyone looking at the merger, was that
    the majority of Eclipsys support was in India. This soon became a source of angst
    with the US based employees, that meetings were held in an attempt to aswage
    the threat that the outsourcing was soon to become.

Havoc Wrecked On Support
    In addition to the outsourcing, the merger destroyed a well functioning support
    structure, that only needed more analysts. The new support structure wrecked
    havoc with the support teams, and no doubt drove many clients away.

Cronyism
    Cronyism had always existed in both companies, however it went into overdrive
    after the merger. Talented people left, including supervisors. The replacement
    supervisors were placed into their positions, and not by merit. Previously,
    a supervisor knew your job, and could relate to any issues that you might
    encounter.

Raises, what raises? A one time bonus, if even that.

Training, what training? OJT, and into the trenches. There was great help from
    co-workers, however sometimes it was the blind leading the blind.

One of my final memories of there was working with a client that indicated that they only
    wanted a US based analyst to call. The very first thing that I heard when I told the client
    who I was, and why I was calling was, thank you for being an American.

Find a buyer. At one time Allscripts was there with its major competitors.
    Many bad management decisions have driven clients away.

Is it easier to keep an existing client, or search for a new one?

Now they are an also ran, with its major competitors having far better products.

Company only cares about profit by reducing stateside employee base.

I worked at Allscripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Here's your 5 word minimum.

Cons

After 20 loyal years, I was given a one week notice that my position was being terminated (obviously due to outsourcing in India), with no offering of any other positions within the company. Still unemployed 18 months later with no job prospects, no health care and no income. Thanks Allscripts.

Find out who's getting the work done and keep your most productive employees, instead of the ones who play on Facebook,come in late, take 2 hour lunches, and chat on their phones all day.