Allstate

3.4
1,350 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 159 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 24 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good management

Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Service Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good management, positive environment, surprisingly not many rude callers!

Cons

Constant phone calls can be hard. Coworkers you call who are supposed to be "apart of the team" give you attitude for asking them to do their jobs, people expecting you to be able to do EVERYTHING.

things are changing here, and not for the better!!

Current Employee - Customer Insurance Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Insurance Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits package, 401K match, and a pension plan

Cons

Work-life balance sucks! You will work each and every saturday, using your PTO days is so hard to do because almost everyday is blocked, high-volume calls even in the 4th quarter.

Invest in your unlicensed reps. Offer a bonus structure or everyone else that hasn't already left for met life, will!

Fantastic Opportunities

Current Employee - Inside Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For an entry level job, in today's economy, this is great. The pay isn't the most, but it sure isn't the least. Management has actively coached and groomed employees here for success. The learning never stops. There are weekly classes that we attend to continue to review and learn new topics. Our VP came to our office a few weeks back and just sat and talked with us about what we did and didn't like. How often do you get your VP to come hangout while wearing jeans and just say whatever you feel? I would imaging, not very often.

Cons

I honestly can't say one bad thing about Allstate. I am not saying it is perfect and it's the best. However, if you sit and think about what work could be like, versus what it is actually like, I see no reason to complain. My worst day at Allstate is worlds better, than my best day at previous jobs. Be humble, work hard, and you will do great.

Continue cultivating a wonderful environment.

Not the company it was when I started 25 years ago, horrible.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedule. Decent pay, above average PTO time. Still has an employer funded pension and company matching 401k

Cons

Does not care about employees or customers. Sends work overseas with disastrous results and leaves it there & continues to send more. Management is a bunch of liars. They will lie to your face & not think twice about it.

Put quality of service and work above saving a dime. Doing things the ethical way can only help in the long run. And teach management that bold face lying is never acceptable.

just okay company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits start on day one

Cons

working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks

Benefits

Current Employee - CSS in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CSS in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PTO, Helath Benefits, Incredible training, Engaging co-workers, managers. etc. Allstate is a great company.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about the company. I will admit that the hourly pay rate could be better but the overall compensation package is great.

Contine to do what you are doing. You are creating a fantastic work environment.

Accounting Specialist Associate III

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work and they give back to people in need.

Cons

Not having much room for advancement.

Always will to help.

You have to kiss a lot of feet,, and even that won't help, if you don't sell a lot.

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like to go to work at 3pm and get out midnight,this is the job for you, can make money, if you sell policies to customers that call for changes or complain. If you get fired, go apply for unemployment benefits, you will get approved, IF you kept a record of ALL INTERACTION WITH MANAGEMENT AND TIME KEEPING ,and ABSENCE ISSUES.

Cons

If you want to work for this company, WRITE DOWN OR PRINT SCREEN EVERYTHING. They will fire you without any notice, just call you to a little office and won't even let you go back to your desk, someone will put your stuff in a white box, which will be waiting by the lobby area, next to security guard,when you get done listing to your manager explain why you got fired, it will always be some computer time keeping software, that says you are out of time. By the way they will bad mouth about you to potential future employers.

Treat Employees with Respect and Dignity, FIX YOUR TIMEKEEPING SOFTWARE, AND STOP USING IT AS AN EXCUSE TO FIRE EMPLOYEES THAT YOU NO LONGER WANT, OR GOT SICK DUE TO WORKMAN's COMP ISSUE, BUT YOU FIRED THEM ANYWAY WITH THAT EXCUSE.

Corporate and politics are main concern

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best reason would be the convenience of having several options inside home office. Such as cleaners, pharmacy, cafe options all in one building.

Cons

Politics and overall environment. Upper management behave and let you know there are levels. Environment is not friendly at all. You can walk down those hallways all day long and will be lucky to get 1 "hello".

Be more approachable and not act high and mighty. So not play favoritism. Although that is the culture and will be difficult to change.

Took a chance and blew it.

Former Employee - COACHING PARTNER in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - COACHING PARTNER in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off is generous but I was hearing before leaving that they're looking to tweak this. Fun co workers, casual environment and knowledge from working in insurance is beneficial especially in Charlotte.

Cons

Where do I start? You'd think a large company like Allstate would have enough "good hands" to help their customers at the call centers.. Not so! Charlotte is pretty much the defacto call center that handles the majority of call flow throughout the country.. Let me repeat that. THE. ENTIRE. COUNTRY. There are two other call centers but they are more so auxiliaries with different roles.. Texas handles outbound and Idaho.. Well, the verdict is still out on what management wants to do with them considering they're looking at changing a lot of roles there.

Charlotte is bleeding employees, it's sad. Recent reorganization and focus in operations to satisfy disgruntled agents is backfiring big time and now employees are being tasked to cover up mismanagement by higher ups and are becoming fatigued. Customer reps are absorbing more duties that were outside their roles. Combine this with Tom Wilson's love of premium increases to enrage customers and you got a recipe for a interesting, if not, wicked interaction between irritated reps and broke customers. Due to the long layover time to train people there's been difficulty in maintaining adequate levels for call handling. Going to work on Saturdays is like walking the Green Mile right into Hades.

You guys know you screwed up.. Everyone is scrambling to find a quick fix but there isn't one and one, or many, of you will be tossed out to save some VP's cushy job.