Allstate

Allstate Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II

Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers(in 141 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal(in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member)(in 34 reviews)

349 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing experience and a great place for an internship, especially your first one.

Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsCompany values people greatly, both customers and its own, therefore people are incredibly friendly and understanding of your needs. Great work/life balance and opportunities to take initiative and grow. In my experience, this is not stereotypical paper filing and coffee retrieval, but you are actually a full member of the team for 12 weeks.

ConsThe Allstate "nice" culture can actually work to become a negative. People are so friendly that this often leads to passive aggressive behavior and lack of communication when an issue arises.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure interns have regular check-ins with their managers with emphasis placed on consistent communication and feedback.

Great learning experience in a very professional setup

Statistical Modeling Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsExcellent learning opportunities, professional development, very talented workforce, workplace amenities and a great cafeteria!

ConsIt would have been great if there was an intern to full time placement program after the internship period.

insurance producer

Insurance Sales Producer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery flexible with hours. Help you move up in company

ConsNot enough incentives given and pay could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more programs to help workers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting paid to learn more than I've learned at school, while surrounded by great people.

Product Operations Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsAllstate offers competitive pay rates, as well as a generous housing stipend. I've been strongly encouraged to stop working as soon as I hit 40 hours for the week, and have still been able to manage a busy work flow.

ConsAs an actuarial intern, we don't receive any PTO days. This wasn't that bad, because there are numerous events we attend that serve as a good (paid) break from working.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Pleasant first experience!

Product Operations Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe environment is welcoming and relaxed; the QR&A department prioritizes creating relationships between new hires and established employees as well as celebrates a work/life balance. The employees invested time into my training and worked to create a workload that was both stimulating and approachable. Also, the pay is great for a summer internship!

ConsIn an office of 10,000, interns are spread out among multitudes of departments, so it takes effort to meet other interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe approachability of management to all levels of employees is a testament to Allstate's corporate culture and makes the company very appealing to work for.

Real-World Experience I won't Forget

Corporate Relations (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsGreat work environment, real-life projects and feedback, full-time opportunities, intern mentors, approachable co-workers

ConsIt is still a big corporation, and that part of the company is still very evident. Sometimes things move slow, depending on your department and position. Might feel so deep internally that your impact is very little-felt. Lots of red-tape, even for full-timers.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your human side sometimes

The best intership possibility that I could imagine - fun, engaging, good people, good environment, good pay.

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsBeautful campus, can ride bikes around and enjoy the trees, gardens, and bodies of water. The atmosphere inside the buildings are extremely welcoming and friendly. They recenetly renovated some buildings and are currently reovating others, very sleek and pleasing to the eye. Everyone genuinly seems happy to be there. Many volunteer events and social activites. Overall it is an amazing place to to work, I hope to get a job here after my intership. Another perk for interns is we get paid like 75% of entry level positions - which is essentially unheard of as far as interships goes.

ConsSometimes I do not have as much guidance on what to do as I would like. Right now I have one project, it is hard to only work on one thing all day everyday. I enjoy the project and there is always more work to be done on it...but I wish I had something else - it gets a little tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is a great person, I enjoy and respect him a lot. He is also very busy and has little time for me. Understandable, he has more important things to do, but I wish he would work wih me more.

Allstate's internship is truly pre-professional - I know exactly the kind of work I'll be doing if I return full-time.

Actuarial Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsI have very strong connections with full-time analysts, havinng worked under them or asked them for advice. Full-time employees seem very eager to reach out to me or answer my questions, and I am very happy to have this support system here.

ConsThe learning curve might be intimidating at times, at least in the actuarial department. There are over 30 training sessions in a short time span. I ended up with a thorough understanding of the work I am doing and the bigger processes I contribute to, but initially it seems like there is little to relieve that stress of having a lot to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrating the interns in different departments is a challenge (aside from social events) but it would be a huge help to feel that the interns are one cohesive Allstate unit. Especially with Actuarial interns, who seem to be off in our own program 90% of the time, we would love to be more strongly incorporated in the Allstate intern community.

Great Intern Program, Empowering College Students to Succeed

Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThey really emphasize a work-life balance, with a cafeteria, gym, Starbucks, among other amenities, all on the Northbrook campus. For the intern program in particular, they create a lot of opportunities for learning and networking within the organization, which allows the interns to get a really good look at the company even just a few weeks after the start date. I really felt like I was contributing to the overall success of the organization, and the projects didn't seem like the typical "busy work" that interns usually get stuck with. I even got to travel for two weeks on a business trip, as an intern!

ConsWith a large, public company, occasionally it's easy to feel like you're just a face in the crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your interns, and create more opportunities for interns to sit down one-on-one with experienced Allstate Directors and VPs. A co-op program would be extremely helpful in developing and retaining talent, especially for students in engineering and other technical fields.

Great Place!

Underwriter Examiner Associate (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThey have a great company value and they offer relaxing areas within the office.

ConsPay... I hate to say that they are not super competitive in most areas.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!