Allstate Northern Ireland

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bro McFerran

Allstate Review

Professional (Current Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsGood global team organisation and works with teams in different locations

ConsManagement is not efficient. Need to take care of employees better

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more processes into the work

No much to learn

ProsGood benefits, Flexi hours, work life balance.

ConsJava developer need to work on AS400.

The modern day equivalent of factory work.. unreachable targets and strict processes

ProsYou can wear your own clothes and that was about it. It's in strabane and the people are all great so you make a lot of friends in the town.

ConsIf you aspire to leave Strabane then this is not the place for you unless you simply cannot get a job and need money. That is the only reason you should apply here. If you get a chance at another job take it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Programmer Analyst

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsGreat place to work, great co-workers, great benefits, salary ok
    I really enjoyed my time there

ConsNothing bad to say about Allstate

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

great place to work

Developer (Current Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Prosflexible working, social, good training, interesting work (depending on team) awesome wok life balance

Conspersonal growth is limited, career progression is limited, goals and scoring are totally subjective, based on team leader, but pay rises are global and based off the score.

Obsolescent technology, no interest in technical excellence. Process driven to an extreme.

Software Developer (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsThe deadlines are not challenging.

If you follow the procedures, you can have a quiet life.

They paid me more than my previous employer (but it was clear that

Experience of large corporate processes.

I liked the members of the team.

A lot of people stay there a long time, so it must work for them.

There are plenty of opportunities for COBOL developers.

ConsThe induction process (after a brief interview at HR) is to watch a series of tedious videos, which seem to be designed to sap your morale and remind you how insignificant you are. This takes up most of the first fortnight.

It probably depends on the team you are in, but I was assigned to a team with a badly-architected ASP.NET system. Although they used .NET 3.5 and VS2008 (in 2012), the system had made little or no evolution from .NET 1.1. Technology decisions (such as they were) were all made in Chicago.

They'll come down on you like a ton of bricks if you deviate from their labyrinth of procedures. My brain was just too numb to notice whether I was following them or not.

They gave you marks for "innovation." Innovations were usually trivial, and you won't get any time allocated for proper innovation. But then, they promote people who are good at admin and following processes, so no surprise there.

Management were only interested in chargeable time. Time sheets were largely a work of fiction.

If you are reasonably senior, you will be offered a decent salary at the start, but keep quiet about it as the long serving staff are often paid less.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't value technical excellence, don't ask difficult questions at the interview - it gives a very false impression. Less talented people who are happy to just put their day in will suit you better.

Have a proper promotion stream for technical people.

Don't make managers out of people who merely manipulate processes.

Not the place to be if you want to further your career

Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsAllstate has good quality processes . Good place if you are starting out in software testing.

Nice meeting people from different cultures

Pension, dental, medical insurance and yearly bonus. Sports and Social club.

ConsWork long hours at times, work at weekends on deployments at 3.30am and get no thanks for it what so ever. A lot of people sit and do no work all day while others are expected to work long hours. Could be assigned to a team with little work and it is hard to move to different teams once you are employed by the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and make time for all your staff. Team Leaders need to be better supervised. No communications, don't even reply to your emails. HR sort out the weakness in management. Value all of your staff no matter what grade they are.

It's terrible

Software Developer (Current Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsFlexi-time is nice. If your manager approves it.
    Dental isn't bad.

ConsOnly been here for two years and even I can tell this company is circling the drain. They throw the "benefits" out the window the first chance they get so they can still pretend to turn a profit.

There is little to no travel opportunities any more. Gone, it was too expensive so now you'll be stuck in Belfast.

There is a remote working policy but it's nonsense. Chances are you won't get that either.

You will not learn anything. Not a thing. There's no interesting work, or uninteresting work for that matter. Any and all training is heavily restricted to a couple of people. You might end up getting 3rd or 4th hand training from someone who didn't attend any official training.

There is no communication from senior management any more. Personally I think the company is near dead.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. You're not very good at it.

Laidback with little promotion opportunities within your team

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Derry, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsGood team ethos, flexibility, wide range of tools - use of duvet days etc - people always able to help and rmeote working is an option. Out of normal working bonus paid along with car park passes provided etc

Conssalary, holiday allowance, bonus, promotion

Advice to Senior Managementpromote people within the team and do not force them to leave reluctantly.

Very good corporate culture and proccesses

Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsI've learned and still am using systematic approach to work. Allstate had well developed quality proccesses, so I still have eg very good documentation skills. Also many people got really good skills, I had very good training in software testing and automation.
    The jobs are quite stable, which is important for people with families.

ConsSalary is not very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though the career paths and requirements for eg internal positions are specified, I witnessed a situation when the Team Leader's 'pet' got promotion. The problem is that he did not have required education (you had to have BA degree to apply for the promotion). I think Team Leaders should be better supervised.

Worked for Allstate Northern Ireland? Contribute to the Community!