Allstate Reviews

3.3
1,570 Reviews
Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 26 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A place with many opportunities. Great Work/Life balance. Strong company that's only getting stronger.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life is best in the industry. People are in general very happy at Allstate. Many employer sponsored events. Summer hours will generally be very flexible. Holidays and benefits are better than I have seen at many other companies. Allstate is a favorite of people with families and soon to be moms.

Cons

Management really tries to create opportunities for further advancement but there are times when there are none. If in an situation, your team/department is going through organizational changes, there is a big possibility you might have to quickly move on/out or you could either be put in somewhere or will have to leave. Very rarely does this happen though.

Allstate Response

Apr 6, 2015Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your input. Employee feedback helps us continue to grow and improve. Keep it coming! ^Jessica

2. Best internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is second to none. Everyone is so friendly and the intern program itself is a great way to network and learn.

Cons

Unless you are selected for their Leadership Development Program, they don't care too much about hiring their interns, even if they have outstanding reviews.

Advice to Management

Invest more in interns

3. Storage Engineer

Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is very impressive. Recognition Events are hosted quite frequently. Very friendly atmosphere and management. Full benefits including 401k and pension

Cons

Siloed teams, slow adoption and implementation of new capabilities, compensation should be more competitive as it is difficult for a large pay bump unless moving to a new role or via a promotion

Advice to Management

Increase speed of delivery and remove some of the red tape around change management. Advance the high performing employees quickly and hold the under-performing employees accountable.

5. Property claims adjuster

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Great pay, great job, great company. Work from home. Flexible schedule. Great work/life balance. Great people to work for. Excellent training.

Cons

Hot, cold, height, ladders, snakes, spiders, angry customers,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. Luck of the draw

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Amazing PTO, good coworkers and the management wants to trust you so they don't get on your case when you mess up starting off. It's a much more relaxed / better morale claims office compared to other companies I've worked at. Most of my coworkers are smart and want to do the right thing. Able to make my own schedule most days.

Cons

Not the best training. Spent two weeks at HQ learning about obvious parts of the vehicle. Zero time on suspension, mechanical, and electrical. Minimal time on frame. These cost more to repair and the parts aren't exactly easy to find sometimes.

Alot of on the job training which is really the best way to learn with this position but definitely start off paying for items you learn a few months in you shouldn't have.

Some managers are great (mine is) and some are horrible. I can imagine my job being horrible if I switched managers.

No company car right away, drive up to shops in my own car is a big red flag i'm a new guy...please take advantage of me.

Starting salary, not the best.

Advice to Management

The company car deal is unprofessional. I get paid miles but I rather get the car. Stop being cheap with that.

Some middle managers are horrible. Its known they are horrible even by higher level managers but nothing is done. My team morale is great compared to the horrible managers team.

7. Analyst

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits; comprehensive but expensive.

Senior management listens to lower level employees

There is plenty of opportunity if you are mobile.

Cons

There are leadership issues at the field level, especially with implementing the culture change

Technology is far below industry standards.

Pay is below average for same jobs at similar companies. my salary is not competitive and there are no short term incentive bonuses.

Advice to Management

If you want quality employees at the field level, pay better and stop hiring at entry level. Poach from other companies.

8. Overall, great company!

Current Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Benefits Package
    Career Development
    Inclusive Diversity
    Career Mapping
    Mentorship

Cons

Compensation
    Work Life Balance
    Hierarchical
    Office Locations
    Tenured Leadership

9. Agent

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and hours are great

Cons

Sales fluctuate month by month

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and stay positive

10. Great concept, Bad training

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Company offer great and amazing Work /life balance And lots of Flexibility. With strong brand
    recognition i was able to schedule lots of appointments. Being able to cross sell existing clients was a huge benefit as well.

Cons

With this being a Commissions only job, the scales were not very favorable. As a 1099 employee there were little to no benefits. The training was very subpar as well.

Advice to Management

I believe this could have been a great opportunity with a better training program in place for new hires and also a better compensation plan. A small base during training would have helped.

11. Analyst

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

Work-Life balance, great company if you want to learn and explore what you are interested in, great co-workers, overall good company culture, strong ethics

Cons

Your experience is very team-based, teams vary in terms of how they function, collaborate, and communicate. Upward movement is difficult past past consultant level, it's such a huge company that it's easy to get stuck and comfortable. Salary is pretty low compared with the rest of the industry, but benefits are nice - especially the amount of vacation days you get.

Advice to Management

Cut down on middle management. Too much burden in the middle only allows for inefficiencies and red tape. There is no need for 3 middle level managers, a senior manager AND a VP for a team of under 20 people.