Allstate Reviews

Reset
3.4
Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • This provides for a great work life balance (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits for remote employees (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Flexible time but hard work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Many reorganizations in upper management (in 40 reviews)

1,689 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Allstate Internship Program

Former Employee - Integrated Marketing Communications Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Integrated Marketing Communications Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Real-world business application Competitive hiring process Hands-on work Interns are treated like they are full-time employees instead of just being there to staple papers

Cons

Overall, the experience was nothing but beneficial for me. I learned in-depth about the business and developed as a professional.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide interns with the opportunity to work on real projects. The accountability is important for development of employees.

2. Receptionist

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Easy to learn. Great office experience for those coming into the workforce. Great Hours.

Cons

Low-Pay with No Benefits. Not-Challenging. Poor Career Opportunities. Not consistent in terms of work follow.

Advice to Management

Look at helping employees out with benefits...a company the size of Allstate, can afford to buy into much more affordable health insurance packages. It shouldn't be left up to the agency owners to look at small company plans, that are through the damn roof.

Allstate Response

Jul 29, 2015 – Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have some concerns working for your employer, an Allstate agency owner. Our agents and their employees are a valued part of the customer’s ... More

Good Company

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Rates were too high and I had a hard time writing business

Advice to Management

lower the rates to make Allstate is more competitive

5. Summer Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Great organization that values all of their employers from managers to interns. I got a lot out of my internship experience; I learned so much at my time at Allstate. Awesome benefits and pay. Overall a great internship experience!

Cons

Not the most exciting place to work but it is an insurance company....

6. Great company!

I have been working at Allstate (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package including PTO, health insurance, etc

Cons

Nothing stands out to me

7. Commercial Service

Current Employee - Commercial Service in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Commercial Service in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with business owners and agents instead of the public. Pay is good for the work and it's a growing department so room for promotions (they say). Management can be solid and they tell you what the story is. Seniors and experienced coworkers really try hard to help when you can and really seem to know what they are doing. Its much better than people down in claims or personal insurance service. The director or avp or someone big told us they had some bad claims and there is a hiring freeze and that the year will be tough... it sucks to hear but its good to know what is really happening instead of making crap up. They combined some departments together and made some computer program changes to work better with agents.

Cons

System is very backwards and hard to use. The company is no hiring right now because of claims making their budget flop. Some of the management need more training/came with no insurance experience. Agents are scared of the systems and the policies so you often find trash policies that need to be fixed. There is only one guy who really knows how insurance works while the rest just make guesses or call the underwriters which also guess or tell you they are too busy to help. even supervisors and managers either brisk away from customer questions or ask that other dude. but then allstate gets mad when they have claims and agents dont know how insurance works. everyone is overworked in other departments so its hard to ask for help or more than yes or no answers...if you don't tell them exactly what you need or how to do the job they push you off and do the bare minimum. trainers mean well but they prepare you for a lot of things you wont do and then things you will do they dont spend time on.

Advice to Management

Treat business as something you want to do instead of being an accessory to home and auto. You want us to be the classy service that makes us stand out from other companies but you're making business restrictions, taking away agents ability to service their stuff, refuse to hire replacement customer service reps, and have overworked service/sales/underwriters. like some others said..you are stuffed to the brim with work and will burst at the seams if you don't get enough help. You have a reputation for being hard to do business with and want to fix it, so put some money in and fix it! I hope this is just you guys trying to cut budget and will really get your stuff together next year. the more senior people sound like they are happy and its a rough patch, please be true!

8. Agent owner

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

set own hours no boss

Cons

heavy responsibilities long hours at times

Claims

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Excellent PTO. Dress is casual and lots of flex time. Great opportunities if you are willing to move out of state.

Cons

High turnover, high claim volume. PTO requests are based on seniority, extremely difficult to get holidays off. Hard to move up if you are not willing to relocate to other states. They tend to hire recent grads with little experience and poor work ethics, which leads to high turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire people with more experience, offer good employees incentives to stay with the company.

10. Adjuster

Former Employee - Senior Casualty Adjuster in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Casualty Adjuster in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

excellent work environment. Team oriented. Clear expectations and good work/ life balance

Cons

Sometimes there were arbitrary changes in Metricrequirements

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Excellent opportunity for a career

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've seen the highest ethical standards met by our officers. I've personally experienced a level of professionalism and patience as well as willingness to take anyone under their wing from high-level position holders within the company too - even after hours phone calls for mentor/mentee relationships - ASTONISHING and unparalleled. I started working for this company less than 5 years ago and I've received more opportunities than I can count - helping me to create a diverse knowledge base and make me a valuable employee. If you WANT to succeed, there's almost no way you won't. Dedication, determination, compassion and a passion for learning are good prerequisites for anyone working here.

Cons

Honestly the only con I can think of is that certain positions within the company involve a greater involvement in off hours than I think management realizes. There is a large number of a division of people that feel constantly overworked. It's the nature of the type of work unfortunately, but there is room for improvement for communication between leaders of people and the people who report to them about the fact that very few will ever feel like they AREN'T overwhelmed because of a process of how the system is set up for new and pre-existing work deliverables.

Advice to Management

Facilitate transparent constructive conversation between leaders of people and reporting employees who have workload concerns. Continual process improvement around a better way to deliver new work and manage existing work for employees working within the NextGen environment should be a priority.

Showing 1,689 of 1,799 reviews