Allstate

3.1 1,040 reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II

Thomas J. Wilson II

1,040 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers"
    in 115 reviews
  • "Good benefits including pension and 401K with company match after 3 years"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "This position is VERY stressful and it is hard to maintain a work/life balance"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Performance review is predetermined based on force ranking by upper management"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Claim Adjuster

Senior Claims Service Adjuster (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig company who promises stability.

ConsCheap with some claim payouts, making the job difficult for adjusters being between the claimants and their bosses. Difficult to get a decent raise, if any. Some Management with Cavalier demeanor, e.g. Take it or leave it (hit the road- you're lucky to have a job at all) attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and find something better while you're still under 50 years old. If older than that, just do what ever they say and preserve your retirement. Young people- Make sure you get a hefty initial salary, because departmental budgets allow for 1-5% raises (at best)

Think Again

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome flexible time if you have staff. If you do not have staff, you can worry about terminated for not being in your office.

ConsDo not own book. Can get terminated with 90 day notice without cause ( it happens all the time). Independent agents get 15% new and renewal . Do the math. Independent agents get a loss ratio bonus of 11 percent, so on a million dollar book, that is over a 110,000 bonus. What do you get for a bonus? Think about it?

Advice to Senior ManagementParity.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not the opportunity promised

Exclusive Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love working with the customers. When it comes to claims, for the most part the company does stand behind their promise and offers fair settlements. Occasionally, as an agent, you will have to step in for the customer in regards to lack of or slow claim follow up or unfair settlement, but overall, that is rare.

ConsManagement still utilizes a Good Old Boy system, constantly playing favorites. More importantly, their favorites are themselves. They make poor businesses decisions for the company and for existing agents if it somehow improves their own situation. ie they will hire a new, inexperienced, and incompetent agent rather than give the proper support to existing agents who have run and won the never ending gauntlet of changing requirements. They do this because it makes it look like, for the moment, in the eyes of corporate that they are growing the region. The problem is the majority of these new agents do not make it, which is disruptive to both customers and existing agents who have to pick up the slack without compensation. Additionally, production requirements are constantly excessively increased while at the same time commission structure is decreased; something that was NOT disclosed when Allstate was courting me!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective in your new agent hires and protect the asset that is your existing agents before looking to hire new agents. Be honest to potential new candidates...they need to understand that the contract they sign with Allstate allows Allstate to change production requirements and compensation at will and that this is done annually.

Liars

Direct Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company product is awesome

ConsAfter training, you're on your own... literally. No managers around when you need anything, personal, business related, etc. Policies get changed and the manager that's supposed to inform you is on vacation for a month and the temporary manager realized the HUGE pay cut they were getting for being a manager and decided to go back to the phones as a regular rep to make more money. They need structure BADLY. Not to mention the "99% sure there will be a schedule change if you're working til 1:30a"... that was a lie. And the bonus structure was cut in half, so you never see the potential money promised in the interview

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give advice to management, but there was none. They leave early or schedule vacation and nobody knows who is who

Way to political

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig Company,Name Recognition,Commute,Co-workers,location. The pros are minimum vs the cons. The organization needs to be better.

ConsPolitical Landscape,Poor Leadership Support,Poor Management,Lack of leadership,Poor Strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about your people

Went public and went very bad.

Exclusive Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA career that you could be proud of, if they would get out of your way.

ConsVery dysfunctional company. If they had not grown so large while they were a part of Sears, this model now would never have lasted. Direction from the top is a disaster, no clue or integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and sincere, it does work in other Insurance companies.

Wonderful work environment !

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate part-time for more than a year

ProsProfessional and helpful people to work with !

ConsLearning new technology all the time to do my job !

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work !

Claim Advocate

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPTO's, one hour lunch breaks, working from home and my co-workers

ConsHorrible management, low salary, horrendous work volume, no room for growth, you are expected to work for free on your personal time and unknowledgeable managers

Advice to Senior ManagementValue work ethics and promote the suitable candidate for the position

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I worked for a plantation owner

Licensed Sales Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Allstate full-time

ProsI learned about the P/C and Life insurance business

ConsI discovered that working for an agency owner provided you with low pay,long hours, no marketing support and no lead generation assistance

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove marketing support and lead generation assistance

Terrible place to work

Claims Service Adjuster (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmount of vacation (you will need it to stay sane)

ConsThe worst place I have ever worked!! Allstate takes micro management to a new level. I left the company for another and can safely say the grass is greener on the other side. If you have the opportunity to leave do it. It is a sinking ship.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!

Allstate Videos

Allstate – Why Work for Us?

We do everything we can to encourage, enhance, provide tools and promote growth in ways that are good for all, so we reach greater heights together. You’ll be part of a company that’s innovating new products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allstate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allstate CEO Thomas J. Wilson II. All 1,040 reviews posted anonymously by Allstate employees.