Allstate

3.4
1,318 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 156 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 24 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been duped by agent. He gave false advertisement. Not a happy place to work!!

I worked at Allstate

Pros

I had a job! (I have no other "pros" for this company.. I'm writhing still to complete the 20 word minimum.

Cons

I quit my 3 1/2 year job and accepted a $3. Pay cut to work at AllState Todd Robichaux in Metairie, La. Office. My 1st week working at the office (technically 4 days) I never saw or spoke to the agent. I dealth with the rude, unprofessional, NO customer service skills office manager Cheryl, who felt since she has been there for 15 years she can treat employees and customer's rudely. Needless to say it wasn't working out. I was terminated my 4th day of employment by text due to downloading a Halloween screensaver from the computer which supposedly caused a virus. I was told I wasn't able to ask the computer tech guy what caused the virus. I still haven't gotten paid for my 4th day working at Allstate nor a termination letter.

Properly terminate your employee NOT through a text. Also, return a call when asked to speak to you about unresolved termination!!

Not Recommended if youa re in the Regional Home Office

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My brother worked for allstate Claims in the Northeast and loved it. I worked in a regional home office in Atlanta and my experience was at much variance.

Cons

Hostile backward environment. Non-progressive types hired to work there; had an envy and seemed to feel threated by younger, better educated employees, particularly if you were from the north. Harrassment; unprovoked agressiveness toward you which usually means envy and jealousy. No responsiveness from management; in fat, overarching attempts to cover it up. Much lack of diversity in this office. I could say more on that topic but won't. (Much more). Most minorites stayed a short time and left. In general really not a professional environment. Major "title inflation." Youw ere given a fancy title but your job was nothing but clerical work. Desks were all in one bull pen, end to end. No privacy and managers sat and stared at you all day which I found uncomfortable and it made ti difficult to relax and feel comfortable and concentrate on your work. Overall a tremendous backwardness which manifested itself in myriad ways. Inexperienced managers who really should not have been managers. People were set up to have more than one boss which is a bad idea at the outset. The culture supported harrassment of certain employees; there was no punishment for people who conducted themselves that way meaning this was a culture problem.

Move away from hiring non progressive unsophisticated types; appreciate persons with better more modern education and background; learn not to feel threated by them. work on diversity - attitudinally and structurally (if you can with the types of peopel who proilferate in the office. It will not be easy, I admit.)

Management Mess

Former Employee - Java Developer in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were so many people working there that eventually I found some people to hang out during my time there
    Insurance is easy, since it is an insurance company

Cons

Management was an absolute mess. Managers would sometimes contradict each other and leave the employee at the mercy of an organization that didn't know what it wanted.
    My manager left early in my time there and wasn't replaced until close to when I was laid off.
    Massive hiring surges, followed by massive layoffs.
    No one knows what's going on, so there are lots of meetings where nothing happens.
    Lots of emails that have lots of text, but don't have any actual information.
    Coworkers don't care - many times they misspelled my name when addressing me in emails. My name is 5 letters, and proofreading would take half a second.
    Either you have nothing to do for weeks on end or you're crunching on too much work to ever get done.

Slash and burn.

Micromanaging

I worked at Allstate

Pros

The people you meet in the company are great.

Cons

Management speaks from both side of their mouth. Do really know where you stand. Work being outsourced,but more responsibility for USA employees.

Allow your team members to grow and trust in their skills.

Imagine the biggest mistake in your life-now multiply that by 10- that's how bad it is at Allstate

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pro would be- that this gives you the kind of experience to know what company not to work for. And, that is Allstate Insurance as an agent.

Cons

Long hours, a difference in commission rates where independent agents get paid 50 percent more and really do own their book, and cannot be terminated with 90 days notice without cause.

Treat captive agents like independents. Do not mandate hours at office, do not mandate rolling phones over to a 1-800 line that sells to your customers. Guess who doesn't get the commission.

Dead end job. Do no apply unless you want to be treated as a poor peasant!

Current Employee - Claims Processing Specialist in Diamond Bar, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Processing Specialist in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent PTO and some benefits such as medical, dental and vision. That's it! Hourly pay sucks and does not adjust to the current market!

Cons

Everything, from the miserable pay to lame raises.. The claims department is poorly run because the so called supervisors can barely spell and write a good email. A lot of old people that is not willing to change or get updated with technology. Too much talking and trying to look professional when they supervisor do not even give a damn about helping their employees to succeed. How can a so-called big company like this be still in business treating their employees like crap? Allstate is just a marketing name.. behind the door, they are just terrible!

Do not hire or promote any simple clown for a supervisor position. You might be a big company with a big name but the crappy hourly pay to your employees is sickening. Stop creating pointless goals for claims processors!

Rude awakening

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Great pay for entry level.

Decent trainning and experience if you work on your own.

Great place to start your career.

Great colleagues who are helpful

Cons

Low raises

Your peers, those who are also entry level, are usually hostile and easily threatend. They will step on you and stab you in the back without hesitation. They will lie and cheat just to get you introuble. Perhaps they hope they can get ahead.

In IT moral is extrmemley low. Everyone is terrified of being fired. They will openly discuss their discontent. Usually the unrealistic goals bother them the most. Those who are good or have been insulted enough have already left.

Managers lead by intimidation. They are unapproachable and fail to attend their own meetings.

Allstate screams diversity and continuous improvement, yet Any attempt to question a methd or present an idea to improve is met with anger and being told you have no right to speak.

So much red tape, any attempt to improve or change is blocked. Innovation is impossible

Managers will ignore you and fail to follow up with you or help you. The recent reorgs have caused the managers to handle 3 or more jobs. Not only are they stressed, but they ignore everyone. Clearly good managers are leaving.

You are expected to work extensive hours with no flex days. Any attempt to go around this is met with threats and intimidation.

I am treated like an intern. Projects are jokes and are clearly run aways. My only work is busy work. What is most insulting is you clearly know all this, and yet they pretend like it is the most important thing.

If it wasnt for the pay, id have already left.

If you want to keep good employees around, treat them better.

Promote more managers to balance the job load

sled dog

Current Employee - Claims
    Current Employee - Claims

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free coffee,water and use of micro wave

Cons

at least in CLAIMS, they work you like a sled dog until you drop in the traces and then hire another dog to take your place at minimal salary...raises almost non existent...incentives ? if your unit does really well they may let you wear your Bears Jersey to work on friday... think the movie "Office Space" but without the laughs

you cant serve 3 masters...return shareholder value,give your policy holders honest compensation and pay your employees fairly

It wasn't a satisfying experience.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance could be improved

Cons

Limited career opportunities are in existence.

Absolutely horrible employer that fails on every conceivable criteria.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Home Office in Northbrook is the country club with a strictly laid-back 9 to 5 hour work day because nobody cared about putting in extra effort to get ahead because it won't make any difference. Long coffee breaks in morning and afternoon and very long lunches, an hour or more as the multitudes leave for the restaurants or to catch a nooner. We used to go swimming and sunbathing in the summer. Nobody cared.

Cons

- Notorious for low pay, worst of all companies in the area.
    - No advancement. When potential promotion opportunity opens up they hire in from the outside.
    - Mundane, dreary, unchallenging clerical work that does not add to one's skills.
    - All employees considered expendable. Known as nothing more than a body shop.
    - Revolving door of capable people, the ones who stay are the otherwise unemployable drones, including managers and above.
    - Some offices are sweatshop: long grueling hours, salaried so no overtime, combined with low pay; while Home Office in Northbrook is the sleepy, lethargic country club
    - Bad attitudes pervade throughout entire company, especially among claims people who are evaluated on how low they can keep per-claim cost. I have had first hand experience with that as well.

If you have Allstate insurance, please don't hit my car.