Allstate Reviews

Reset
3.4
Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • This provides for a great work life balance (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits for remote employees (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Flexible time but hard work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Many reorganizations in upper management (in 40 reviews)

1,622 Employee Reviews

1. Don't Do It!

Former Employee - Property/Casualty/Life Health Insurance Producer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing I can say about working for Allstate was our office was closed on weekends. On days over 90 degrees we were allowed to run the AC.

Cons

The computer system was embarassingly outdated. While I was there they eliminated the loyalty discount. Who does that ? They literally cancelled a discount from clients who had 5,10,20, some had 30 years of loyalty, paying Allstate's overpriced premiums. Plus how can you sell policies to your friends when you know they can save 20-30% with the competition?

Advice to Management

Cut back on the lame commercials and lower your rates to make them competitive. Don't give your agents such unreasonable goals which can lead to shady behavior.

2. Setback to career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

WOrk life balance
    Location of office

Cons

No policies
    False promise at the time of joining
    Bad pay and benefits
    No career path
    No opportunity to learn or grow

Advice to Management

Please improve the policies

3. Manager

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

Close to home, was a good working environment (development, growth opportunity etc.) until about 2001, then began outsourcing creating tension and job-competitiveness

Cons

Very little hope for growth. Perfomance reviews are based on bell-curve, so lower half of any team are put on waivers or eliminated.

Advice to Management

Great the CEO and Sr. Leaders get their bonuses (said sarcastically)

5. claims

I worked at Allstate

Pros

The hours are very good

Cons

workload, management, pay, work environment

6. Corporate

Former Employee - Corporate in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate in Bothell, WA

I worked at Allstate (Less than a year)

Pros

Good van pooling and coworkers. Pay was fair.

Cons

Leadership was sub-par and very "sales driven". Goals were expanded to glorify leadership, and resources were very limited. This resulted in high turnover and "creative" metrics. Overall, there were some good coworkers, but not worth career choice.

7. Corporate Offices stink

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Allstate part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work schedule
    Getting to know your regular customers
    Helping people

Cons

Constantly working against the corporate office and their ever increasing demands
    The focus on only one type of policy sales no matter how well you are doing in other policy sales

Advice to Management

Help your agents more and they will work better for you

Allstate Response

Jun 3, 2015Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Your input in helping Allstate continue to grow and improve is valued. We continue to look at ways we can best support our agents through a variety of feedback channels ... More

8. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

May be Flexibility other than that i don't see any benifit

Cons

Politics, instability in organization structure

Advice to Management

Grow up

Claim Department

Former Employee - Senior Claim Consultant in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Claim Consultant in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They provide heat in the office in the winter, air conditioning in the summer - that's about it.

Cons

Inept "leadership" throughout the organization; organizational bias against employees over 50 years old; male employees treated with contempt; local management more preoccupied with pets, weekend pub crawls and reality TV than the technical demands of the department.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to treat their employees at every level with some respect; ISIS management style endemic within the organization prohibits innovative problem solving. Complete claim department reorganization including staffing and reconsideration of counter intuitive NEXTGEN claim system would serve company well long term.

10. Exclusive Financial Specialist

Current Employee - Exclusive Financial Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Exclusive Financial Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Allstate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Be your own boss, set your own hours, choose which days to work, etc. Upside potential is unlimited. Many levels of recognition available.

Cons

Platform is that you are partnered with property & casualty agents to increase their life insurance / financial services penetration by referring existing clients. Problem is, these agents are tracked on so many different metrics that obtaining the minimum is what 90% of agents strive for. If they don't meet their monthly requirement the P&C agents pay is reduced by 10%, which means that they will refer you just enough to write one policy that has $300 per year in premium. I have 7 agents that I work with, and small policies like these don't even cover my bills, let alone allow me to have a comfortable lifestyle. Recruiter told me that first year EFS's make $70k, and that the average EFS makes $180k. This is extremely incorrect, the first year $70,000 selling point is actually your goal for production credit not what you get paid. If you sold $70,000 in your first year your pay would be about $45,000. Same thing with the $180,000; if you produced $180k annually you would make $120,000 which isn't bad, but it definitely is not $180k in your pocket. The "average" EFS production of $180k is also skewed, there are mega-performers here who have been set-up with the only good agents in the state who produce $400-900k in production credit that make the average anything but. The true "average" EFS" does about $120,000 in production credit and makes about $80k per year. Not a bad living, but for the amount of work / stress / etc. it is not good as they offer you no benefits, no 401k match, no health, dental, NOTHING. The recruiter makes it seem as though it doesn't matter that you receive no benefits because you will be swimming in money, but thanks to Obamacare, my high-deductible monthly premium is $750.

Advice to Management

The "flavor of the month" initiatives get old really fast. Stay consistent. Be honest in the recruiting process. Actually offer training / assistance to new / existing employees. Any issue we come across is basically handled by saying "figure it out".

11. Better Options

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Allstate has a huge advertising budget. Great Claims

Cons

I was an agent a long time and Allstate just kept hiring more and more agents. Commissions continued to be cut. I sold my independent agency and my biggest competition was all the Allstate Agencys that were for sale.

Advice to Management

Make the agent position more sales friendly.

Showing 1,622 of 1,714 reviews