Allstate

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 1,193 reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II

Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers(in 140 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal(in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member)(in 33 reviews)

1,193 Employee Reviews

Recognition in name only

What Ever Was Needed (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe best reason to work for Allstate is its name recognition on your resume when the short honeymoon is over and you need to start looking

ConsI've worked for 4 Fortune 150 corps in my life and Allstate changed from being good and on par with the rest to simply being the worst. When the CEO has to bring an older employer out on stage to show that there are older people who've not been let go or RIF'd (Really no reduction in force - just jobs offshored) you know not to stay hoping to retire from there. If you are young consider going there, getting 1 - 2 years experience and then put it on your resume and get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the good Managers that I know are still employed, network, keep your skills current, and get out. To the rest of the managers still there take the hint that Geico has passed you in yearly auto premium to either get better or get out.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I would not recommend working there.

Sales (Former Employee) Brimfield, OH

ProsGetting licensed would be a good idea and they let you study for your test while working.

ConsThe employees use real rough language all day long, and talk about college parties. The owner is never there and almost always forgets to pay commissions. The manager has a bit of an inferiority complex in that she fires people who are more educated and/or experienced than her. They fire people pretty quick. I witnessed the employees swearing in front of customers and not even realizing it. I think they party on work times. The hours are long, and the owner does not communicate well at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the book of business.

Just when you think it can't get worse it does!!

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

ProsCurrent unit manager flexible. Great co/workers

ConsMore & more work expected, Pay cuts ,pension cuts , sick leave cuts , weekend and late duty long term employees are being fired as company has no loyalty to those Only wants young low paid employees All the focus is on raising stock price at all costs

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees = good customer service. Stop micromanaging , get technology that actually works and give employees a raise !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

REGRET

Exclusive Agent (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsYou get the new experiences of finding out what it is like to put thousands of your dollars on the line into a business that you do not own or control.

ConsLack of independence. Do not own book. Independent agents get paid over 50 percent more on commissions new and renewal. Can be terminated without cause with 90 day notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat captive agents the same way you treat independent agents.

Do what your told and get fired

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, which helps but read below!

ConsDo as your told and get both commended and fired from upper management with no warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more clear to employees about what you want and what you don't want.

Customer Service/Insurance Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo weekend work required. Work place close to home.

ConsVery boring, repetitive job. Other staff was not very friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The worst place to work in the NW

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are none to speak of. I would never suggest anyone to this type of environament.

ConsOther than a huge lack of professtional. No career advancement. Employees treated like 2nd class citizen.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot to learn and the management needs to replaced with forward thinking people. All I see is YES men and bowing down to VP that has no compoassion or empathy for his employees

If you are not condidered a high potential employee or in the top 25% watch out.... your job is in jeopardy

ProsFair pay and Benefits
    Good entry level jobs

Cons- Do more with less and do it faster, you have to work at least 60 hrs a week on a regular basis just to keep yourself above water - and you better be available for your manager phone calls and email requests on the weekend - otherwise watch out... your services are no longer needed .
    - If you are not in the top 25% then leadership does not care about you and your job could be cut tomorrow.
    - Although leadership says they support work and family balance - watch out... if you truly use your personal time off - your job could be cut tomorrow.
    - Leadership prides itself in women and minority representation of employees - that is true in the entry level and 2nd and 3rd levels - however once you get to mid-level positions and specially bonus positions band E and above - that is no longer the case - if you don't believe me next time you go to an all department meeting or town hall meeting - look around and you will see the truth behind the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you continue focusing on the top 25% employees you will disengage and miss out on the other 75% of employees of which at least 90% are solid, loyal employees that will leave for a better company

Senior Recruiting Consultant

Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsAt Allstate the Pro is if you are family/friend...you are hired:-)

ConsThe cons are you are overworked and underpayed. The environment is hostile.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop discriminating and try offereing the benefits you actually advertise but, really do not have available at all.

A complete waste of time and education.

Customer Service/Sales Agent (Former Employee) Riverton, UT

ProsThere are no pros to this agency

ConsThere were no perks, benefits and the owners accused all of us of stealing their things, stamps, computers etc

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up!!!

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!