Allstate

3.4
1,257 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers (in 141 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal (in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Hamster in a wheel

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Columbia, SC

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for building your customer service skills

Cons

too many to even list

Rude awakening

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Great pay for entry level.

Decent trainning and experience if you work on your own.

Great place to start your career.

Great colleagues who are helpful

Cons

Low raises

Your peers, those who are also entry level, are usually hostile and easily threatend. They will step on you and stab you in the back without hesitation. They will lie and cheat just to get you introuble. Perhaps they hope they can get ahead.

In IT moral is extrmemley low. Everyone is terrified of being fired. They will openly discuss their discontent. Usually the unrealistic goals bother them the most. Those who are good or have been insulted enough have already left.

Managers lead by intimidation. They are unapproachable and fail to attend their own meetings.

Allstate screams diversity and continuous improvement, yet Any attempt to question a methd or present an idea to improve is met with anger and being told you have no right to speak.

So much red tape, any attempt to improve or change is blocked. Innovation is impossible

Managers will ignore you and fail to follow up with you or help you. The recent reorgs have caused the managers to handle 3 or more jobs. Not only are they stressed, but they ignore everyone. Clearly good managers are leaving.

You are expected to work extensive hours with no flex days. Any attempt to go around this is met with threats and intimidation.

I am treated like an intern. Projects are jokes and are clearly run aways. My only work is busy work. What is most insulting is you clearly know all this, and yet they pretend like it is the most important thing.

If it wasnt for the pay, id have already left.

If you want to keep good employees around, treat them better.

Promote more managers to balance the job load

sled dog

Current Employee - Claims
    Current Employee - Claims

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free coffee,water and use of micro wave

Cons

at least in CLAIMS, they work you like a sled dog until you drop in the traces and then hire another dog to take your place at minimal salary...raises almost non existent...incentives ? if your unit does really well they may let you wear your Bears Jersey to work on friday... think the movie "Office Space" but without the laughs

you cant serve 3 masters...return shareholder value,give your policy holders honest compensation and pay your employees fairly

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It wasn't a satisfying experience.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance could be improved

Cons

Limited career opportunities are in existence.

Absolutely horrible employer that fails on every conceivable criteria.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Home Office in Northbrook is the country club with a strictly laid-back 9 to 5 hour work day because nobody cared about putting in extra effort to get ahead because it won't make any difference. Long coffee breaks in morning and afternoon and very long lunches, an hour or more as the multitudes leave for the restaurants or to catch a nooner. We used to go swimming and sunbathing in the summer. Nobody cared.

Cons

- Notorious for low pay, worst of all companies in the area.
    - No advancement. When potential promotion opportunity opens up they hire in from the outside.
    - Mundane, dreary, unchallenging clerical work that does not add to one's skills.
    - All employees considered expendable. Known as nothing more than a body shop.
    - Revolving door of capable people, the ones who stay are the otherwise unemployable drones, including managers and above.
    - Some offices are sweatshop: long grueling hours, salaried so no overtime, combined with low pay; while Home Office in Northbrook is the sleepy, lethargic country club
    - Bad attitudes pervade throughout entire company, especially among claims people who are evaluated on how low they can keep per-claim cost. I have had first hand experience with that as well.

If you have Allstate insurance, please don't hit my car.

Catastrophic

Current Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You have some direction or capability on your success. Your ability to market and execute marketing strategies.

Cons

You do not own your book. The company can disapprove selling your "economic Interest" without putting it in writing or giving a reason. Independent agents are paid 50 percent more in commission and they get paid a loss ration bonus of over 10%. So, that means on a 1 mill book, a bonus of 100K. And, independent agents, not Allstate agents,own their book. So, they can sell their book to anyone without Allstate's permission. Allstate can terminate you without cause with a 90 day notice. They have terminated thousands of agents using this procedure in the last 6 years. Commission rates are adjusted every three years or so, from higher to lower with more hurdles..

Treat captive agents like you do independent agents.

anti diverse old timer

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

9-5, baby boomer friendly, women don't have a chance [pun intended], your manager is nice but is constantly being nit-picked by their own and hence unhelpful.

Cons

Unethical, non-diverse, sick work environment, not women friendly, Lame management is incompetent, aggressive men oriented [wild west]. Watch out after you leave they will try and spoil your prospects everywhere else.

pre-school days are over.

Allstate is a true Nightmare!!!!

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

There are really no good reason to work with Allstate anymore. But you are unemployed take the offer BUT NEVER stop looking for some thing better.

Cons

Work load, local management and Sr. management don't care about the employees anymore and they LIE. Allstate has become the company from h*ll. Wages are very very very very low, benefits are ok but could be better. If you are new with the company you can forget about having Thanksgiving or Christmas off. Allstate just SUCKS!!!! oh and did I say wages are VERY VERY VERYLOW!....yep. So some may ask why am I still there? Well don't think I'm not looking every single day. When I started with this company the employees seem happy the employees really took pride in the company and what they do......Now you just trying keep your cool until 5:00 and hit the nearest BAR!

Upper Management need to spend more time talking with the employees to get a true understanding of what is truly going on the offices and get your noses out the the shareholders butt!

Recognition in name only

Former Employee - What Ever Was Needed  in  Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - What Ever Was Needed in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

The best reason to work for Allstate is its name recognition on your resume when the short honeymoon is over and you need to start looking

Cons

I've worked for 4 Fortune 150 corps in my life and Allstate changed from being good and on par with the rest to simply being the worst. When the CEO has to bring an older employer out on stage to show that there are older people who've not been let go or RIF'd (Really no reduction in force - just jobs offshored) you know not to stay hoping to retire from there. If you are young consider going there, getting 1 - 2 years experience and then put it on your resume and get out.

To the good Managers that I know are still employed, network, keep your skills current, and get out. To the rest of the managers still there take the hint that Geico has passed you in yearly auto premium to either get better or get out.

I would not recommend working there.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Brimfield, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Brimfield, OH

I worked at Allstate full-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting licensed would be a good idea and they let you study for your test while working.

Cons

The employees use real rough language all day long, and talk about college parties. The owner is never there and almost always forgets to pay commissions. The manager has a bit of an inferiority complex in that she fires people who are more educated and/or experienced than her. They fire people pretty quick. I witnessed the employees swearing in front of customers and not even realizing it. I think they party on work times. The hours are long, and the owner does not communicate well at all.

Sell the book of business.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!