Allstate

3.1 1,043 reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II

Thomas J. Wilson II

1,043 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers"
    in 129 reviews
  • "Good benefits including pension and 401K with company match after 3 years"
    in 55 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance can be tough, especially for single mothers"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Performance review is predetermined based on force ranking by upper management"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't come here. There are better places to work.

mail center operator (Current Employee)
Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are Good benefits, and good non exempt employees. Don't know happened when it came to hiring lower management though.

ConsRecently told that we will only make 75% of the max for my position because they're trying to save money. Lower management totally clueless to what's needed by employees. They just go through motions and play favorites. Sad to say, been here over 10 yrs and my experience hasn't been good.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to really care about your employees at the MWOPC (insert). They have families and a life outside of Allstate.

Fair company, warm culture, make your own way for advancement

Service Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAllstate has a very warm corporate culture. I genuinely like the people I work with, & I believe that the company cares about the long term success of its employees. Allstate has many long term employees, & to advance up the ladder you have to do things differently. Flexible work schedules, remote working, & over 20 days of PTO are great perks as well.

ConsMany people struggle to advance at Allstate. You have to know people, impress the right people, & network effectively. The culture can vary a lot from department to department. You could work in one department & have complete work from home flexibility, then have it forbidden in another department where the work is identical.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Look around at the departments that are innovating & have a 21st century mind-set.

IT Management

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNot very stressful place to work. Not bad career opportunities. Good benefits and compensation.

ConsToo insular and not receptive to outside hire. Industry under challenge from competitors. Business outlook flat.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Claim Adjuster

Senior Claims Service Adjuster (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig company who promises stability.

ConsCheap with some claim payouts, making the job difficult for adjusters being between the claimants and their bosses. Difficult to get a decent raise, if any. Some Management with Cavalier demeanor, e.g. Take it or leave it (hit the road- you're lucky to have a job at all) attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and find something better while you're still under 50 years old. If older than that, just do what ever they say and preserve your retirement. Young people- Make sure you get a hefty initial salary, because departmental budgets allow for 1-5% raises (at best)

Always worried about layoffs

I have been working at Allstate

ProsFlexible with work hours. Good balance with work and family.

ConsNot stable always outsourcing and laying off

Training was great, management not so great

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive pay, not easy to move up

ConsWorking in a small business environment with only 7 co workers. Manager manages two offices. Not there when you need them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a manager for each agency.

Attstate in house counsel

Attorney (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Allstate for more than 10 years

ProsLocal management attempts to improve morale with small insignificant gestures. Sadly the corporate trend is to produce more from less employees with the final end product being irrelevant. Allstate doesnt really care about the results of the lawsuit to its insureds, but only about squeezing more work out of less people.

ConsWhile the company has experienced unsurpassed profit the last several years and productivity is at its highest it has continued to overburden it employees. Leadership lacks vision and good assessment parameters for attorney performance. Ethical obligations towards the insured are secondary to administrative duites to the company creating a conflict

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote at atmoshpere of rewarding good work product instead of fostering a culture of dont worry about you're clients just do your minimum administrative duties for the company. Support ethical work product by your attorneys. Allways take the high road when it comes to ethics and promote better work product. Improve your pay structure, and insure fairness and equity to men and women. Hire an outside consultant to evaluate the attorney workloads equity in pay and pay parity. Audit yoru files to insure good work product.

Employees Well-Intentioned--Mgmt Not So Much

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunity to work on many varied projects. Benefits are good.

ConsPersonal agendas undermine project goals. Seems mgmt is only concerned with protecting their ASS-ets in case the project doesn't deliver. Happens all the time. Not isolated.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees regarding past campaigns. Every new mgr revisits the same issues with the same approach that didn't work previously. Of course, the results are the same. Apply definition of insanity here...

Don't be a local/MCO adjuster

Senior Field Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits. That's about it. Not sure that's worth the merger pay and 60 hr work week

ConsWork load required in the name of customer service is incredible high. They continue to ask more and more of you and don't give you any more time to do it. Once your in a local MCO your pretty much stuck there. Home office is a different story lots of opportunities and easier jobs/work loads

Advice to Senior ManagementYou fail to realize that customer
Satisfaction starts with happy employees. Stop over working us and maybe moral with increase and adjusters will be happier translating to happier customers.

Great Company

I have been working at Allstate

ProsGreat company to work for. Excellent facility. Good benefits.

ConsThere is nothing that I can think of as now.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!

Allstate Videos

Allstate – Why Work for Us?

We do everything we can to encourage, enhance, provide tools and promote growth in ways that are good for all, so we reach greater heights together. You’ll be part of a company that’s innovating new products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allstate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allstate CEO Thomas J. Wilson II. All 1,043 reviews posted anonymously by Allstate employees.