Allstate Reviews

3.3
1,569 Reviews
Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 26 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A place with many opportunities. Great Work/Life balance. Strong company that's only getting stronger.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life is best in the industry. People are in general very happy at Allstate. Many employer sponsored events. Summer hours will generally be very flexible. Holidays and benefits are better than I have seen at many other companies. Allstate is a favorite of people with families and soon to be moms.

Cons

Management really tries to create opportunities for further advancement but there are times when there are none. If in an situation, your team/department is going through organizational changes, there is a big possibility you might have to quickly move on/out or you could either be put in somewhere or will have to leave. Very rarely does this happen though.

Allstate Response

Apr 6, 2015Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for your input. Employee feedback helps us continue to grow and improve. Keep it coming! ^Jessica

2. Decent Pay, Inconsistent Treatment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative and Licensed Sales Producer
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative and Licensed Sales Producer

I worked at Allstate part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent starting out, some great co-workers, and regular hours.

Cons

Inconsistent treatment, promised a pay raise after receipt of license which was not granted, and received negative treatment any time a doctor's appointment was needed or emergency. Please keep in mind this was for an Allstate Agency not Allstate Corporate.

3. Best internship experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is second to none. Everyone is so friendly and the intern program itself is a great way to network and learn.

Cons

Unless you are selected for their Leadership Development Program, they don't care too much about hiring their interns, even if they have outstanding reviews.

Advice to Management

Invest more in interns

5. Storage Engineer

Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is very impressive. Recognition Events are hosted quite frequently. Very friendly atmosphere and management. Full benefits including 401k and pension

Cons

Siloed teams, slow adoption and implementation of new capabilities, compensation should be more competitive as it is difficult for a large pay bump unless moving to a new role or via a promotion

Advice to Management

Increase speed of delivery and remove some of the red tape around change management. Advance the high performing employees quickly and hold the under-performing employees accountable.

6. Sr. Remittance Specialist - Accounts Receiveable

Former Employee - Account Receivables in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Receivables in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allstate (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recognition, Availability to participate in temporary duty assignment for other departments t
    that allows you to elevate your skills, talents and knowledge in other areas of the company which also allows you to become a teamplayer for the company, team and department outings activities, and quarterly meetings.

Cons

outsourcing permanent employees jobs to overseas contractors

7. Personal Financial Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in the New York Metro area for 10 years. It was good for the first 6 years.
    You receive leads fro the existing customer base.

Cons

Then Allstate started raising prices on all it's auto and homeowners customers. The customers were leaving us in droves. They are not competitive at all.

Advice to Management

Get with it Allstate. You don't need to be the lowest price on the block but you do need to be in the ballpark.

8. Administrative

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Allstate as an intern

Pros

Friendly work environment with employees who are willing to help

Cons

Not a great learning environment.

9. Allstate - All is NOTgood

Former Employee - Consultant in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Allstate

Pros

As per my exp. with ASPL:-
    Good teams available
    Work Life Balance
    Good chances to learn varied technologies as all dev team are available on single floor

Cons

Management is the weakest factor
    Management has no leader
    HRs not interested to take extra mile to understand resource interest
    Flattery at its height

Advice to Management

Replace complete leadership team. they are not leaders..

10. Luck of the draw

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Amazing PTO, good coworkers and the management wants to trust you so they don't get on your case when you mess up starting off. It's a much more relaxed / better morale claims office compared to other companies I've worked at. Most of my coworkers are smart and want to do the right thing. Able to make my own schedule most days.

Cons

Not the best training. Spent two weeks at HQ learning about obvious parts of the vehicle. Zero time on suspension, mechanical, and electrical. Minimal time on frame. These cost more to repair and the parts aren't exactly easy to find sometimes.

Alot of on the job training which is really the best way to learn with this position but definitely start off paying for items you learn a few months in you shouldn't have.

Some managers are great (mine is) and some are horrible. I can imagine my job being horrible if I switched managers.

No company car right away, drive up to shops in my own car is a big red flag i'm a new guy...please take advantage of me.

Starting salary, not the best.

Advice to Management

The company car deal is unprofessional. I get paid miles but I rather get the car. Stop being cheap with that.

Some middle managers are horrible. Its known they are horrible even by higher level managers but nothing is done. My team morale is great compared to the horrible managers team.

11. Property claims adjuster

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Great pay, great job, great company. Work from home. Flexible schedule. Great work/life balance. Great people to work for. Excellent training.

Cons

Hot, cold, height, ladders, snakes, spiders, angry customers,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work