Allstate

3.4
1,318 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 156 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 24 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Watch out for Cannibalism

Former Employee - Allstate Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Allstate Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid company, but rates fluctuate too frequently.
    Great football asvertising

Cons

Esurance will grab customers from agencies.
    Cannibalism will harm their business model unless they do what State Farm is doing.

Life Insurance quotas are getting tougher

Drop life rates to give Agents a chance if retention is truly the goal. Allow agencies to inherit online customers at a lower commission rate.

Claims Adjuster interview

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Got an email to set up an interview. Lady was real nice basic questions.

Cons

Have not heard back yet.

na

Working for Allstate is really fun and rewarding.

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My office has a very laid back atmosphere and I get to work with people all day!

Cons

The hours are not flexible. You have to be at work Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm (at least). It's much later most days.

None

Perspective

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to control some of income.

Cons

Always chasing down new clients

Top Heavy IT Department

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Large, stable company
    - The ability to work with a wide array of technologies
    - No shortage of work to be done
    - Pay / compensation is great
    - Ability to move to different jobs internally

Cons

- There are two options for working with the technology that Allstate has: you can either be pigeonholed into a certain technology or set of technologies, or you can work on a wide array of technologies with no training.
    - Like a lot of companies, advancement is based on who you know, not what you can do.
    - The onboarding process at Allstate is, without a doubt, the worst I have ever experienced. They'll sit you at a desk, and that's about it.
    - Senior management within the technology realm is absolutely out of touch. They get involved in everything without understanding the problems at hand, but will brow beat those that do understand. Decisions are completely politically motivated.
    - Everybody is too busy to help new employees. When questions are asked as to why things are a certain way, the number one response is "Welcome to Allstate", followed by knowing silence.
    - The processes and procedures within IT are: not documented, change on the fly (almost daily), and cannot be explained. In addition, non-adherence to these unknown processes will subject one to public ridicule by senior management.
    - Your weekends and nights are assumed to be expendable at a moment's notice.

The IT organization needs to be analyzed, and probably re-vamped. It seems as though this particular area of the business does not fully align with the stated company values of Allstate.

Its a revolving door policy here, financial rep

Former Employee - Financial Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Representative

I worked at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are not honest, but then you only find that out after you start and then what can you do

Cons

That you are just another agent who has been preceded by many others before you and by that time yes you may have the best intentions but no one believes you and soon you will be gone

I've been duped by agent. He gave false advertisement. Not a happy place to work!!

I worked at Allstate

Pros

I had a job! (I have no other "pros" for this company.. I'm writhing still to complete the 20 word minimum.

Cons

I quit my 3 1/2 year job and accepted a $3. Pay cut to work at AllState Todd Robichaux in Metairie, La. Office. My 1st week working at the office (technically 4 days) I never saw or spoke to the agent. I dealth with the rude, unprofessional, NO customer service skills office manager Cheryl, who felt since she has been there for 15 years she can treat employees and customer's rudely. Needless to say it wasn't working out. I was terminated my 4th day of employment by text due to downloading a Halloween screensaver from the computer which supposedly caused a virus. I was told I wasn't able to ask the computer tech guy what caused the virus. I still haven't gotten paid for my 4th day working at Allstate nor a termination letter.

Properly terminate your employee NOT through a text. Also, return a call when asked to speak to you about unresolved termination!!

Great place to work but you'll likely not move up.

Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claim Adjuster
    Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claim Adjuster

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work most of the time. The recession Era changes were bad and they threw away employees but otherwise it is a really good and stable place. Customer focus is huge and you're given a lot of freedom to do what's best for the customer.

Salaries grow based on a percentage increase. Newer employees aren't going to make a lot at first but as you stick around, you're salary can really grow.

Cons

There are numerous employees with 10, 20, 30 years in. That speaks volumes on how they generally treat employees. But, if you want to move up, you'll have to wait for someone to retire. Or, plan to move around the country chasing your next advancement opportunity.

Customer service is huge which means that you'll work Saturday's and Sunday's as well as late duty on a rotating basis. Work life balance can suffer.

Focus less on what Wall Street thinks about how the company is doing and more on how the employees think.

Not Recommended if youa re in the Regional Home Office

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My brother worked for allstate Claims in the Northeast and loved it. I worked in a regional home office in Atlanta and my experience was at much variance.

Cons

Hostile backward environment. Non-progressive types hired to work there; had an envy and seemed to feel threated by younger, better educated employees, particularly if you were from the north. Harrassment; unprovoked agressiveness toward you which usually means envy and jealousy. No responsiveness from management; in fat, overarching attempts to cover it up. Much lack of diversity in this office. I could say more on that topic but won't. (Much more). Most minorites stayed a short time and left. In general really not a professional environment. Major "title inflation." Youw ere given a fancy title but your job was nothing but clerical work. Desks were all in one bull pen, end to end. No privacy and managers sat and stared at you all day which I found uncomfortable and it made ti difficult to relax and feel comfortable and concentrate on your work. Overall a tremendous backwardness which manifested itself in myriad ways. Inexperienced managers who really should not have been managers. People were set up to have more than one boss which is a bad idea at the outset. The culture supported harrassment of certain employees; there was no punishment for people who conducted themselves that way meaning this was a culture problem.

Move away from hiring non progressive unsophisticated types; appreciate persons with better more modern education and background; learn not to feel threated by them. work on diversity - attitudinally and structurally (if you can with the types of peopel who proilferate in the office. It will not be easy, I admit.)

current employee - 10 yrs

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Independence, in depth training program, excellent benefits packages, 401(k) match, excellent support from fellow teammates, relaxed work environment, upper management seems to be making attempts at more forward thinking instead of being old fashioned

Cons

compensation seems to be on the lower side of other insurance companies. even though some changes have been made to the promotion and career opportunity structure, it still seem like they still promote based on favoritism, work/life balance