Allstate

3.4
1,310 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 155 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 22 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work but you'll likely not move up.

Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claim Adjuster
    Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claim Adjuster

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work most of the time. The recession Era changes were bad and they threw away employees but otherwise it is a really good and stable place. Customer focus is huge and you're given a lot of freedom to do what's best for the customer.

Salaries grow based on a percentage increase. Newer employees aren't going to make a lot at first but as you stick around, you're salary can really grow.

Cons

There are numerous employees with 10, 20, 30 years in. That speaks volumes on how they generally treat employees. But, if you want to move up, you'll have to wait for someone to retire. Or, plan to move around the country chasing your next advancement opportunity.

Customer service is huge which means that you'll work Saturday's and Sunday's as well as late duty on a rotating basis. Work life balance can suffer.

Focus less on what Wall Street thinks about how the company is doing and more on how the employees think.

Not Recommended if youa re in the Regional Home Office

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My brother worked for allstate Claims in the Northeast and loved it. I worked in a regional home office in Atlanta and my experience was at much variance.

Cons

Hostile backward environment. Non-progressive types hired to work there; had an envy and seemed to feel threated by younger, better educated employees, particularly if you were from the north. Harrassment; unprovoked agressiveness toward you which usually means envy and jealousy. No responsiveness from management; in fat, overarching attempts to cover it up. Much lack of diversity in this office. I could say more on that topic but won't. (Much more). Most minorites stayed a short time and left. In general really not a professional environment. Major "title inflation." Youw ere given a fancy title but your job was nothing but clerical work. Desks were all in one bull pen, end to end. No privacy and managers sat and stared at you all day which I found uncomfortable and it made ti difficult to relax and feel comfortable and concentrate on your work. Overall a tremendous backwardness which manifested itself in myriad ways. Inexperienced managers who really should not have been managers. People were set up to have more than one boss which is a bad idea at the outset. The culture supported harrassment of certain employees; there was no punishment for people who conducted themselves that way meaning this was a culture problem.

Move away from hiring non progressive unsophisticated types; appreciate persons with better more modern education and background; learn not to feel threated by them. work on diversity - attitudinally and structurally (if you can with the types of peopel who proilferate in the office. It will not be easy, I admit.)

current employee - 10 yrs

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Independence, in depth training program, excellent benefits packages, 401(k) match, excellent support from fellow teammates, relaxed work environment, upper management seems to be making attempts at more forward thinking instead of being old fashioned

Cons

compensation seems to be on the lower side of other insurance companies. even though some changes have been made to the promotion and career opportunity structure, it still seem like they still promote based on favoritism, work/life balance

Great !

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster in Irving, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers, advancement, job security, benefits

Cons

I do not have any cons to put in this section, apply now.

n/a

Claims adjuster

Former Employee - Senior Claims Service Adjuster in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Service Adjuster in New York, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Got along great with coworkers

Cons

Management tends to change the rules halfway through so you're destined for failure

Micromanagement isn't the way to go

office employee

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

freedom in the work you do

Cons

can only advance so far

Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Communications in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Communications in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with endless work/life benefits and well-being perks... Flexible work schedule, working from home options, plenty of personal and professional development opportunities to advance yourself and your career.

Cons

With such a large corporation, change is a long and slow process. Its hard to feel like you are truly getting anything done. The workforce, while diverse in age, has many older folks who are not as keen to adopt modern work mentalities like those of the millennials.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resource Consultant in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resource Consultant in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Career advancement, corporate culture, great benefits

Cons

Compensation tends to be slightly lower than the rest of the market but it is counter-balanced by the benefits.

Great

Current Employee - Insurance Auto Damage Adjuster in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Insurance Auto Damage Adjuster in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary, lots of paid time off, reasonable work hours.

Cons

I cant think of any

I wish I had known years ago how great being an insurance agent would be.

Current Employee - LSP in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - LSP in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generous pay, minimal micro managing, pretty much make my own schedule, when you help people they love you.

Cons

Insurance isn't the most interesting subject, obtaining a license is hard, training is confusing.

better discounts to employees