Allstate

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.1 1,193 reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II

Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers(in 141 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal(in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member)(in 34 reviews)

1,193 Employee Reviews

Recognition in name only

What Ever Was Needed (Former Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsThe best reason to work for Allstate is its name recognition on your resume when the short honeymoon is over and you need to start looking

ConsI've worked for 4 Fortune 150 corps in my life and Allstate changed from being good and on par with the rest to simply being the worst. When the CEO has to bring an older employer out on stage to show that there are older people who've not been let go or RIF'd (Really no reduction in force - just jobs offshored) you know not to stay hoping to retire from there. If you are young consider going there, getting 1 - 2 years experience and then put it on your resume and get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the good Managers that I know are still employed, network, keep your skills current, and get out. To the rest of the managers still there take the hint that Geico has passed you in yearly auto premium to either get better or get out.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Many Issues with Agent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay if your willing to work hard

ConsCorporate management is terrible at making decisions. This directly impacts sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany values regarding the agents

insurance producer

Insurance Sales Producer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery flexible with hours. Help you move up in company

ConsNot enough incentives given and pay could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more programs to help workers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience in a very professional setup

Statistical Modeling Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsExcellent learning opportunities, professional development, very talented workforce, workplace amenities and a great cafeteria!

ConsIt would have been great if there was an intern to full time placement program after the internship period.

Friendly, Caring, Co-operative, Relaxed Environment

Accountant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood middle management
    Good colleagues
    Allows additional vacation time (tax-free) or cash (taxable) in lieu of HSA balance

ConsBenefits are OK. Life insurance is self paid and mandatory.

Lots of overlap

ProsSalary and salary increases are very good. Benefits and on-site day care make it very easy to stay for a long time.

ConsIn some areas, there is so much overlap of job and department responsibilities that there is a lot of infighting and politics involved in getting anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave clarity about who is the key decision maker for which corporate goal instead of giving each task to multiple leaders and making it a "race" to the top.

Amazing experience and a great place for an internship, especially your first one.

Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsCompany values people greatly, both customers and its own, therefore people are incredibly friendly and understanding of your needs. Great work/life balance and opportunities to take initiative and grow. In my experience, this is not stereotypical paper filing and coffee retrieval, but you are actually a full member of the team for 12 weeks.

ConsThe Allstate "nice" culture can actually work to become a negative. People are so friendly that this often leads to passive aggressive behavior and lack of communication when an issue arises.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure interns have regular check-ins with their managers with emphasis placed on consistent communication and feedback.

Never forget no matter how well you know your job...you can EASILY be replaced without so much as a second thought.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was not bad ...after a few years.

ConsAfter a few raises and your pay is almost acceptable...upper management will look for ways to lay off your entire department (so no one individual can say they were discriminated against) so they can keep THEIR job for saving the company X amount of dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementVALUE those that actually work hard and try to help the company succeed instead of making an entire department pay the price for the bad apples. Managers need to learn the skills needed to correct problem employees on an individual basis.

A large companies with a lot of career opportunities

Marketing Analyst Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

Pros-You get real projects and gain valuable experience
    -You can network with full-time employees across the company
    -Competitive pay
    -Lots of resources for career growth

Cons-Getting to Northbrook is a bit of a trek
    -The workload varies

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue refining your internship program

Great internship, with real hands on experience, and with an organization that has a friendly and casual environment.

Actuarial Intern (Current Employee) Northbrook, IL

ProsEveryone I work with is very nice and very helpful. Allstate has a culture of being very friendly, casual, yet, productive. I really enjoy with the working environment here at Allstate. I also got a lot of first hand experience on real projects related to my career path.

ConsSince Allstate is such a large organization, it is easy for interns to fall through the cracks, especially at the beginnnng.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!