Allstate

3.4
1,474 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 26 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Normal for a big company

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Decent pay. Agency owners are nice people.

Cons

No benefits for agency staff. Strict underwriting guidelines make it hard for LSP's to hit targets. We spend more time chasing paperwork than new clients.

Be more flexible!

ABI (Allstate Business Insurance)

Current Employee - Agency Support Representative in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Agency Support Representative in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Certain areas have experience managers that will empower the team to move forward and closer to their professional goal.
    Good benefits overall.

Cons

Company-wide policies are sometimes ignored in some departments.
    Strong micro-management presence.

Delegate, cross-train and put down in writing the responsibilities/limitations of each position open to other employees. There's a lot of confusion with that generating extra work in every department involved and frustration on the agent/customer.

Highs and Lows.

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Overall very friendly/nice people. Great benefits. Home Office has awesome amenities. Pretty good flexibility (but depends on department - can vary greatly).

Cons

Very political. Some leaders are power hungry and passive aggressive (rather than dealing directly with a work issue, they might instead block a person's career development or something to that effect). The company is huge and very slow moving overall (certain departments have a lot of bureaucracy that doesn't help the end goal).

Managers should not be able to use their power to play favorites and place their their personal feelings about people higher than a person's performance when it comes to reviews. Also applying the work/life balance policies would be much better for everyone. Let go of some of the process/bureaucracy.

This company is a good company to work for and has many advantages for their employees.

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Lots of vacation time, good people, cooperative work environment

Cons

The people who work, work very hard.

Poor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance industry is long lasting and will contribute to a safe career

Cons

Fragmentation across the industry and neglecting to keep up with competition with IT world

Consider building a better office environment and keeping energy high pace to match those of top tech firms.

excellent

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

hours are very flexible now

Cons

relying on company for good rates

help us to retain customers

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Reputable company. Good pay. Helpful area managers that will train Or help in any way to help you meet quotas

Cons

Meeting the life insurance quota since there are financial specialist that actually go through the sales process so If life specialist is slacking with the business you bring to them it falls back on not meeting your monthly quota

Financial Rep

Former Employee - Financial Consultant/Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant/Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are on your own with little help getting set up. Worked mainley with new agents . So tge had no large boojs of clients. All the senior agents were filled with sub producers. There was on Financial rep that covered 40 offices him self and 6 sub producers. A lot of these sub producers were fixed life only and not 6 and 63 lic.

Cons

Get rid of the sub producer way of doing bussiness. give every financial rep 5 to 6 offices. Some new some large. In PA it was the haves and the have nots.

I had one good office that I was able to get away from a sub producer who was only 8k to 10k in gdc. The next year working with me 6 and 63 lic. We did 100k in gdc. If I had one more office like that I still would be there. The rest of my area was new agents that were doing 3k to 6k a year.

A Great Place to Serve and Prosper

Current Employee - Staff Counsel in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Staff Counsel in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

This is a company that rewards excellence and innovation and puts customer satisfaction as a top priority. Emphasizes the importance of ethical behavior and recognizes the advantages of diversity in the workplace. It has been my privilege to serve Allstate as a staff counsel in the field for 17 years and I look forward to many more years of satisfying the legal needs of its customers. Compensation, comprehensive benefits and a genuine recognition of the need for work-life balance.

Cons

Only those common to a corporation of its size,, mainly bureaucratic in nature.

Keep up the great work!

Good to work for, until...

Former Employee - IT Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Worked in IT for 21 years...good job stability until times got tough for the corporation. Promotions within were good, pay was good, benefits were expensive but good.

Cons

Promotions usually went to those that presented themselves well...not always to the best workers that provided results. Management not always interested in your career desires. Laid off after 21 years of dedicated service. My career was over after a 10 minute meeting.

Try not to get rid of good employees over money. Pay and keep the performers.