Allstate

3.4
1,376 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 26 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Ever see the "I Love Lucy" episode with Lucy and Ethel working in the candy factory? That's like this place.

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Workload instills a sense of job security.
    Very casual dress code.

Cons

There is a caste system that would appear to slight singles without children.
    Because this is a field office, advancement opportunities are rare.
    Advancement opportunities are reeserved for friends and relatives, some of whom don;t even work for the company yet.

You might want to rethink publicy posting salaries for open positions that are higher than what current employees are making after 10 years.

Corporate environment with much bureaucracy

Current Employee - Anonymous in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Provides work from home opportunities and has a lot of Paid time off. May be used as a stepping stone to a better organization.

Cons

Political environment. Career paths don't exist for the most part. Good luck finding your way. If you are looking to build skills on the job good luck on that one too. Opportunities are scarce. Human resources that won't help you in your quest to grow. They are good at screening you out for positions.

Stop being full of yourselves and stop calling yourselves leaders until you actually lead.

Really Good Company All Around

Former Employee - Field Auto Claims Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Field Auto Claims Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits (401k), Pension, Health, Life, etc etc. Individual managers express care and concern about your job health/happiness. Excellent training. Room to move up, maybe relocate if that's your intention. Lots of incentives to do the job how they want you to do it. If you can go with the flow, this company is absolutely the perfect place to work.

Cons

This will be based on the Field Auto Representative position, with a working knowledge/experience of how liability/injury claims are handled as well.... Working for a very large corporation like Allstate means a lot of nickel & diming of processes when it comes to doing your job. Not a lot of micro-management necessarily, but extremely detailed tracking of everything, maximization of every minute of the day, and sometimes the overall lack of vision from upper management (the guys in ties that wouldn't know a headlamp from a lower control arm, but can regurgitate any accounting/statistical theory ever created) when it comes to true customer service or what I'd call "doing the right thing", because so much reliance is placed on statistical tracking of just about anything you can imagine (as well as many things you never thought was even possible to track). Allstate is so busy trying their best to pay exactly what they owe that they don't realize it actually hurts in the long run. Example: You have a guy that gets rear-ended by an allstate insured. His car is damaged pretty bad and he had to go to his family doctor to get checked out for some general neck and back pain. As a field rep writing that estimate, one that you know will be scrutinized by a field reinspector within 3 days as well as your manager too most likely at some point, you're expected to find and utilize less expensive parts (used/aftermarket) and be prepared to argue with the shop to save that hour of labor on the 6-hour quarter panel repair. The nifty parts usage report each month will show you how "good" or "bad" you are at this, keep in mind.... In the meantime, the customer is aggravated that they're even having to think about the potential for a less-than-perfect repair (because even though you've explained the estimate really well and they seem to understand, once the shop gets in their ear it'll all be for nothing). Mind you, it doesn't mean the repair is subpar in any way, but the insurance company trying to trim some fat off the estimate is giving that very strong impression to the vehicle owner, the guy that's injured. In the meantime, the BI rep is desperately trying to settle a relatively minor injury claim, something that under other circumstances should be paid and closed for no more than a grand, maybe a tick more, who knows. BUT, in the process of saving $235 on the estimate by using that aftermarket tail lamp and bumper cover, in the process maybe upsetting the claimant and at the very least making him unsure of Allstate's intention to fairly settle his claim (and definitely getting told that by the body shop that feels they just got low-balled), that injured person has decided they are going to hire an attorney for their injury. That eventual $1000 settlement has now ballooned to a minimum of $3-4k. You saved $200 on paper by following the estimating process, but what they can't possibly see in their performance spreadsheets is that they burned $2000 by not getting a quick BI settlement.
    Now, I understand MOST insurance companies follow similar protocols. I get it. It's not just Allstate But, there are a few out there that actually can see the big picture and sacrifice the pennies to save the big bucks.
    Allstate also skews customer survey result accuracy by not only requiring field reps to mention the survey and in a roundabout way to ask for high scores (10s), but they hold employees accountable for the scores (as if they are capable of selecting 9s & 10s on behalf of their customers), and is part of performance evaluations. Scaring employees to get 9.7s out of 10s on surveys is NOT a good gauge of customer service; it is, however, very effective in stressing out employees.
    Just be sure you are ready to have to jump through hoop after hoop after hoop, every day, all day, if you want to work for Allstate. Like I said before, if you can go with their flow, and it you like staying crazy-busy all day long, you'll love your job and will never want to leave.

You'll never do it because you're too busy relying on statistics to reflect the bottom line on paper, but if you could find a way to track the human element of claims handling/settlements without relying on skewed surveys, I'd wager you'll actually save more money on claims payments in the long run. I would suggest relaxing most.all penny-saving processes in exchange for pushing really hard to quickly settle the actual high-dollar exposures, and see what your numbers reflect. And, do it for 6 months or so to really gauge the theory. You'll be surprised.

Good Company

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and Pay are good

Cons

Challenging environment to get Promoted

Instead of always looking outside of the company for talent, take a step back and look at the existing talent pool...you will be surprised what you see

It has been an interesting experience

Current Employee - Account Manager in Victoria, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Victoria, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Allstate does offer classes to help you learn a bit about what they offer, which somewhat helps

Cons

My cons have more to do with the specific office I work in rather than Allstate as a company. I don't like the system that we work with though. Upper management always has new things they are adding to our system to 'make it better' but I think it just makes the process more confusing.

Stop changing our system every 3 months!

Great corporate atmosphere s

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

can manage a diverse array of policies from wind to life insurance to get a larger client base and hence commission

Cons

Limited by the head office in terms of heat you can write

Management does not practice what they preach

I worked at Allstate

Pros

The organization pays higher than most companies in the industry doing comparable work. Benefits are pretty good. There's a lot of good people that work for the company that I was able to build lasting relationships with. The culture that Allstate established is phenomenal when actually practiced.

Cons

Company prides itself on it's organizational culture however there are some in positions of authority (senior leaders) that do not practices these beliefs. The end result is a negative work experience for employees. My position was eliminated which resulted in my lay off from the company. There was no effort made from upper management (my direct leader and others in the company) to assist with job placement within the company. With there being 600+ positions open in the company, there could have been a job that fit in which myself and my peers could have been placed into. What could have turned into a satisfying career turned into a thankless waste of time.

Make an effort to retain your talent!!!

Application Testing Manager

Former Employee - Applications Test Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Test Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, great culture, good opportunities and great for work life balance.

Cons

Too many layers to navigate through to try and get something done.

Spend more time understanding what your employees are working on.

Strong Company values

Current Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX

I have been working at Allstate part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security, flexibility and great management. I like the fact that the company values family and your personal time. I never feel like My family has to be put on the back burner.

Cons

Sometimes customers can become difficult to deal with, I wish there was more help and reactive measures in place to help irate individuals receive the help they require.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst - Professional in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst - Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and people are great to work for..

Cons

If you live in the city the commute to Northbrook is far