Allstate

3.4
1,306 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 155 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 22 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Employment

Former Employee - Senior Adjuster in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Adjuster in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity for lateral moves to different departments. I was given the opportunity to change departments and gain experience besides claims. I also enjoyed the relationship with my mentor.

Cons

No profit sharing and raises are low. I believe salaries are not competitive with other P&Cs.

Focus on better work/life balance.

Gengarry Glen Ross Leadership Lives

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

The sales force are good honorable people who want and appreciate supportive coaching and leadership.
    Pay is good.
    Bonus opportunity tends to be good.

Cons

Sales Leadership is oppressive and lacks talent.
    Bullying and disrespect not just allowed but encouraged.

Treat your agents and front line sales managers with respect and dignity. Train and support them versus whipping and threatening.

Allstate Sr Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very big company to work for. Really "Old boys network" if you are in you are good. If not, well then you are not.

Cons

No carreer advancement track too.

Not all bad but avoid GAAP Reporting

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A large company and all the benefits that come with it. Opportunities available at all levels and room to grow. Provide food when you have to work late.

Cons

The bureaucracy. I worked in the GAAP Reporting department on their investment side and it lived up to its awful reputation. Horrible work-life balance.

If multiple people are saying the same thing about the same person, listen!

Nice Place to Learn about Insurance But I wouldn't Recommend Staying Long Term

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My employer paid for my insurance school courses and for my P&C & Life insurance license exams. Allstate has a popular brand. I got to get out in the community and work with local folks. Allstate has good resources when it comes to sales training. They offer online training and sales producer university. I received sales leads.

Cons

When you work for Allstate you work for a captive carrier which means you only sell Allstate insurance products. If the rates go up it's tougher to compete with other carriers. This was one of the reasons I quit and went to work for an independent agent. Allstate requires agents to forward all the office phones at the end of the day to their free customer service line. Good if your customers need assistance after hours, but on the flip side you have to unforward the phone lines every morning by 9 am. If you come in late even by a minute the company will notice and black list you. Big brother style management. Sales pressure was a given (another reason I went independent). Commisions were paid only new business, not the renewals.

Our territory manager always talked to my boss when she stopped by. She never took time to get to know me. I hope management will get rid of this gap in communication between themselves and the sales force. Allow the producers (not just the agency owners) to receive commissions on renewal polices.

just okay company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits start on day one

Cons

working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks

Good looking dinosaur

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, stable industry, many great people, like the ceo there are many people over-paid

Cons

Autocratic decision making, politics, neoptism, constantly changing company goals, life insurance company is a major drag

Have term limits in the c-suite

Allstate EFS role

I worked at Allstate

Pros

- Lots of flexibility with your time.
     - Ability to work off of agents' books of business.

Cons

Your success is dependent upon an agent doing their part to introduce you to their clients. Otherwise, it's just a cold call. And my experience was that most agents didn't support the program, so they didn't introduce you and that made it a challenge to make an impact and to make a good living. It wasn't that they weren't willing, my experience was that they just weren't good managers of time, weren't good business owners.

Managers responsible to develop agents should make introducing the EFS to the clients a priority as, doing so, creates success for the agent, the agency, and the EFS!

Work is not difficult but the office is poorly managed

Former Employee - Inside Claim Adjuster in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Claim Adjuster in Columbia, SC

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Direct customer service experience.
    Most people truly want to help the customer

Cons

They always want a little bit more for you but they won't lift a finger for you.

High volume - as in you can never get ahead.

Punished for taking time off - when take time off you still receive claims unless you get 3 days in a row off (which never happens & weekends don't count in fact you get claims on the weekend).

You have to jump thur hoops just to solve the simplest claim - things that can be solved in 45mins take a week.

The whole time I was there I felt like management was either lying to us or puppets that don't know what is going on.

Offered advice several times. Never listened. They would often say that's a great idea but nothing ever changes.

Allstate is a financially sound company to work for . There is lots of money to be made as an agent.

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is lots of money to be made

Cons

there is no where to go, you have to purchase a store in order to move up. Becoming an Allstate employee is hard, as most are "subcontractors"

no advancement