Allstate

3.4
1,318 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 156 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 24 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice Place to Learn about Insurance But I wouldn't Recommend Staying Long Term

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My employer paid for my insurance school courses and for my P&C & Life insurance license exams. Allstate has a popular brand. I got to get out in the community and work with local folks. Allstate has good resources when it comes to sales training. They offer online training and sales producer university. I received sales leads.

Cons

When you work for Allstate you work for a captive carrier which means you only sell Allstate insurance products. If the rates go up it's tougher to compete with other carriers. This was one of the reasons I quit and went to work for an independent agent. Allstate requires agents to forward all the office phones at the end of the day to their free customer service line. Good if your customers need assistance after hours, but on the flip side you have to unforward the phone lines every morning by 9 am. If you come in late even by a minute the company will notice and black list you. Big brother style management. Sales pressure was a given (another reason I went independent). Commisions were paid only new business, not the renewals.

Our territory manager always talked to my boss when she stopped by. She never took time to get to know me. I hope management will get rid of this gap in communication between themselves and the sales force. Allow the producers (not just the agency owners) to receive commissions on renewal polices.

just okay company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits start on day one

Cons

working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks

Good looking dinosaur

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, stable industry, many great people, like the ceo there are many people over-paid

Cons

Autocratic decision making, politics, neoptism, constantly changing company goals, life insurance company is a major drag

Have term limits in the c-suite

Allstate EFS role

I worked at Allstate

Pros

- Lots of flexibility with your time.
     - Ability to work off of agents' books of business.

Cons

Your success is dependent upon an agent doing their part to introduce you to their clients. Otherwise, it's just a cold call. And my experience was that most agents didn't support the program, so they didn't introduce you and that made it a challenge to make an impact and to make a good living. It wasn't that they weren't willing, my experience was that they just weren't good managers of time, weren't good business owners.

Managers responsible to develop agents should make introducing the EFS to the clients a priority as, doing so, creates success for the agent, the agency, and the EFS!

Work is not difficult but the office is poorly managed

Former Employee - Inside Claim Adjuster in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Claim Adjuster in Columbia, SC

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Direct customer service experience.
    Most people truly want to help the customer

Cons

They always want a little bit more for you but they won't lift a finger for you.

High volume - as in you can never get ahead.

Punished for taking time off - when take time off you still receive claims unless you get 3 days in a row off (which never happens & weekends don't count in fact you get claims on the weekend).

You have to jump thur hoops just to solve the simplest claim - things that can be solved in 45mins take a week.

The whole time I was there I felt like management was either lying to us or puppets that don't know what is going on.

Offered advice several times. Never listened. They would often say that's a great idea but nothing ever changes.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Continuing education, good benefits and work/life balance

Cons

You have to watch your back and protect your clients/contacts. You can't rely on management for support. Watch your earnings very carefully.

Don't be shady. Your employees notice.

Allstate walks the talk of work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing Researcher in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Researcher in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide great opportunities for professional development and networking. Decent inter-company mobility if you're looking for a change of pace. And great benefits and wonderful on-site conveniences like a pharmacy, doctors office, fitness center, dry cleaning, barber shop, nail salon, Starbucks AND Red Mango.

Cons

I have experienced a fair amount of frustration due to conflicting leadership styles and frequent reorganization within departments. The only constant at Allstate is change! Haha

Senior leadership and individual contributors "get it." It's the middle mangers that need to be supportive of our initiatives and inclusive diversity.

Great company, top brand and recognition, the name sells itself.

Former Employee - Allstate Insurance Agent in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Allstate Insurance Agent in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good compensation schedule, high level training, quality products for your clients.

Cons

If you are an insurance agent, you are captive, compensation structure for agents is a higher percentage the first few years of contract then decreases.

Continue to innovate and stay cutting edge with marketing and brand recognition. Add bonuses to compensation throughout the contract, especially for new business.

Satisfying Internship

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pays well, people are wonderful, work is challenging but manageable. Really feel like you're making a difference. The campus is a great place to work at, with many activities always going on. Great mentorship program in place so that you don't feel alone in such a large program.

Cons

If you're not from the Chicago area, it can be a little overwhelming.

Great

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Place to work for, Solid training program, Great benefits and pay, Volunteer opportunities through Allstate Helping Hands.

Cons

Some managers look at you as if you are a number and not a person.