Allstate

3.4
1,257 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers (in 141 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal (in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Staff Counsel to work at, not a lot of room for support staff growth, very easy to become comfortable

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady hours, relaxed environment,

Cons

No room for career growth at the support staff level

consider investing in support staff career opportunities and training

staff claims adjuster

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

Friendly office environment, like my co-workers.

Cons

Heavy work load, upper management unrealistic about goals.

Busy Job, But Nice People

I worked at Allstate full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is plenty room for advancement if you stay with the company long enough. Most people have been there 5+ years. The staff was extremely friendly, which created a family environment. Everyone asks each other to lunch and helps with work. The starting pay is decent and there is a pretty good raise after the first year.

Cons

Very busy and stressful job. Good for a young person who is ambitious, and needs to get their foot in the door. But, the job is stressful and goals are sometimes difficult to meet.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Allstate Agent

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

My agent is great. The training is far better than at my last job

Cons

It's a new agency trying to grow so there's lots of cold calling

It was a wonderful experience.

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love meeting new people, and I think it would be exciting to move my career into a new direction..

Cons

This job sounds exciting, and adventurous. I feel with all my years of experience in customer service and sales, I am the perfect candidate for the job.

Honesty, knowing how to build rapport with a customer, and knowing how to close a sale.
    Having worked at AT&T/Lucent really gave me a strong foundation in understanding the needs of every customer. Through the years, I became highly skilled as a great listener and always putting the needs of every customer first.

Great learning experience in a very professional setup

Current Employee - Statistical Modeling Intern  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Statistical Modeling Intern in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent learning opportunities, professional development, very talented workforce, workplace amenities and a great cafeteria!

Cons

It would have been great if there was an intern to full time placement program after the internship period.

Hamster in a wheel

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Columbia, SC

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for building your customer service skills

Cons

too many to even list

Dead end job. Do no apply unless you want to be treated as a poor peasant!

Current Employee - Claims Processing Specialist  in  Diamond Bar, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Processing Specialist in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent PTO and some benefits such as medical, dental and vision. That's it! Hourly pay sucks and does not adjust to the current market!

Cons

Everything, from the miserable pay to lame raises.. The claims department is poorly run because the so called supervisors can barely spell and write a good email. A lot of old people that is not willing to change or get updated with technology. Too much talking and trying to look professional when they supervisor do not even give a damn about helping their employees to succeed. How can a so-called big company like this be still in business treating their employees like crap? Allstate is just a marketing name.. behind the door, they are just terrible!

Do not hire or promote any simple clown for a supervisor position. You might be a big company with a big name but the crappy hourly pay to your employees is sickening. Stop creating pointless goals for claims processors!

The environment is very accepting and progressive, however the company methodologies are far behind.

Current Employee - Architecture Intern  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Architecture Intern in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Managers typically get themselves involved with their employees, but not in an overbearing way - there is an incredible amount of room for personal growth as well as influencing the company at large. If you know what you're doing and really get involved with horizontal elements of the business you will be successful. The company has a great environment prior to getting into upper management: helpful teams, plenty of resources, and encouraging environment. I can speak for architecture/development mostly: Allstate is not a bad place to work, there are opportunities to grow and expand your knowledge in many areas you wouldn't have access to at other companies.

Cons

There is often a lack of training for business methods and development styles at Allstate - this is partially because there isn't actually a whole lot of enforced structure behind how things get done. The salary is not competitive to begin with, but if you offer assets to the company and show your worth you will not have any trouble being compensated. My last statement in the "Pros" section was about opportunity to learn: In technology, Allstate is making a shift to do things with more modern methods and implementing them the way they should have been many years ago - so while there is opportunity, there is a reason for it.

Take some time to really discuss how Allstate (even if it just the group you oversee) wants to run the show, and try to cover some of the relevant points of contact a new employee might need - although these things aren't impossible to discover, it saves time if that information can be a foundation from the beginning.

insurance producer

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with hours. Help you move up in company

Cons

Not enough incentives given and pay could be better

Have more programs to help workers

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!