Allstate

3.4
1,310 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 156 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 24 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for, but when leaders change, it really shakes things up and put us all behind

Current Employee - ITSM Consultant in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - ITSM Consultant in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great opportunities to move around if you can develop the right relationships. Good work-life balance...

Cons

Too many leadership changes. Every time a new leader gets transferred into a department they want to make their mark and end up changing too much. Leaders never stay in one place long enough and the employees suffer. Impacts efficiencies, and progress...

Stop the rotations. If you continue to rotate, get to know what the departments direction is before making changes.

Great Job Security for lower pay

Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Marketing Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, culture depends on your manager and average growth if you play the politics

Cons

Less then average pay, possibility for working remote depending on your area and manager

Allstate is a wonderful company to grow with

I worked at Allstate

Pros

They appreciate their customers and employees by acknowledgement

Cons

It can be very stressful

Great Company

Current Employee - Direct Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth available if you have a career path in mind and are driven.

Cons

Salaries may not be as competitive as most managerial positions.

Not Recommended if youa re in the Regional Home Office

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My brother worked for allstate Claims in the Northeast and loved it. I worked in a regional home office in Atlanta and my experience was at much variance.

Cons

Hostile backward environment. Non-progressive types hired to work there; had an envy and seemed to feel threated by younger, better educated employees, particularly if you were from the north. Harrassment; unprovoked agressiveness toward you which usually means envy and jealousy. No responsiveness from management; in fat, overarching attempts to cover it up. Much lack of diversity in this office. I could say more on that topic but won't. (Much more). Most minorites stayed a short time and left. In general really not a professional environment. Major "title inflation." Youw ere given a fancy title but your job was nothing but clerical work. Desks were all in one bull pen, end to end. No privacy and managers sat and stared at you all day which I found uncomfortable and it made ti difficult to relax and feel comfortable and concentrate on your work. Overall a tremendous backwardness which manifested itself in myriad ways. Inexperienced managers who really should not have been managers. People were set up to have more than one boss which is a bad idea at the outset. The culture supported harrassment of certain employees; there was no punishment for people who conducted themselves that way meaning this was a culture problem.

Move away from hiring non progressive unsophisticated types; appreciate persons with better more modern education and background; learn not to feel threated by them. work on diversity - attitudinally and structurally (if you can with the types of peopel who proilferate in the office. It will not be easy, I admit.)

Benefits

Current Employee - CSS in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CSS in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

PTO, Helath Benefits, Incredible training, Engaging co-workers, managers. etc. Allstate is a great company.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about the company. I will admit that the hourly pay rate could be better but the overall compensation package is great.

Contine to do what you are doing. You are creating a fantastic work environment.

Everyone is really nice to me. Easy people to work with.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people. The company fosters an environment of friendliness and diversity. There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to get reports done on time within the deadlines. It is a very deadlined-based workplace. At least where I work: Finance.

Get to know your entry-level employees better. It will motivate them to perform better and more efficiently.

Management Mess

Former Employee - Java Developer in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were so many people working there that eventually I found some people to hang out during my time there
    Insurance is easy, since it is an insurance company

Cons

Management was an absolute mess. Managers would sometimes contradict each other and leave the employee at the mercy of an organization that didn't know what it wanted.
    My manager left early in my time there and wasn't replaced until close to when I was laid off.
    Massive hiring surges, followed by massive layoffs.
    No one knows what's going on, so there are lots of meetings where nothing happens.
    Lots of emails that have lots of text, but don't have any actual information.
    Coworkers don't care - many times they misspelled my name when addressing me in emails. My name is 5 letters, and proofreading would take half a second.
    Either you have nothing to do for weeks on end or you're crunching on too much work to ever get done.

Slash and burn.

Micromanaging

I worked at Allstate

Pros

The people you meet in the company are great.

Cons

Management speaks from both side of their mouth. Do really know where you stand. Work being outsourced,but more responsibility for USA employees.

Allow your team members to grow and trust in their skills.

Imagine the biggest mistake in your life-now multiply that by 10- that's how bad it is at Allstate

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pro would be- that this gives you the kind of experience to know what company not to work for. And, that is Allstate Insurance as an agent.

Cons

Long hours, a difference in commission rates where independent agents get paid 50 percent more and really do own their book, and cannot be terminated with 90 days notice without cause.

Treat captive agents like independents. Do not mandate hours at office, do not mandate rolling phones over to a 1-800 line that sells to your customers. Guess who doesn't get the commission.