Allstate

3.4
1,376 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • There is a huge emphasis on work/life balance in most departments (in 164 reviews)

• Good benefits, good work-life balance, flexible work arrangements (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • working on every weekend no time to spend with family work life balance sucks (in 26 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice company

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life balance
    Lot of benefits

Cons

Nepotism
    Managers need to focus more on employee skills rather than leveraging vendors

Claims Service Specialist ll

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Work life balance and stability

Cons

Career advancement is difficult and slow to come.

Advancement is difficult because management has limited knowledge of what it takes to complete our jobs. They are too focused on the end results.

Allstate experience

Current Employee - Regional Claim Leader
    Current Employee - Regional Claim Leader

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Here are some of the Pros:
    Pay
    Work-life balance
    Opportunity for advancement
    PTO
    Culture

Cons

There are no cons for me

Great company to work for, people are really nice, easy to move up.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Allstate allows people to easily to move up in the company. Everyone that works there for the most part is really nice. The culture is very good, with a great work life balance.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of nepotism. Also, sometimes the analysis you do isn't used at all. It seems like your progress stagnates after a few years.

More manager training.

Working for Allstate is really fun and rewarding.

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My office has a very laid back atmosphere and I get to work with people all day!

Cons

The hours are not flexible. You have to be at work Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm (at least). It's much later most days.

None

Claims Adjuster interview

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Got an email to set up an interview. Lady was real nice basic questions.

Cons

Have not heard back yet.

na

Allstate hates their employees.

Former Employee - Senior Claims Service Adjuster in Fishkill, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Service Adjuster in Fishkill, NY

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Decent [ay if you put in the time & lots of paid time off.

Cons

The company hates the claims department. The managers hate the employees. If a manager has an idea you must agree that it is great. An employee with the same idea is ignored. Management makes employees work late & weekends, but managers don't have to be there. They are constantly trying to fit 2 gallons of water in a 1 gallon jug & there is no excuse for not being able to fit 14 hours of work into an 8 hour day. Management tells employees on a daily basis that they can and will be fired for anything they feel like & if someone is fired, the employees are not allowed to ever mention the former employee in the office again, or they too will be let go. Everyone walks on eggshells. A horrible place to work.

Listen to your employees & stop expecting them to blindly follow your lousy leadership. Sit in the employee shoes for a week & PROVE you can do the job you expect us to do

Allstate Agency Owner

Former Employee - Agency Owner in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Agency Owner in Boise, ID

I worked at Allstate as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to get some experience in insurance sales. Agency owners also get the chance to get a feel what it's like to run your own business.

Cons

Bweware, although they classify agency owners as Independent Contractors and say you own your agency, you do not. Agents are at the mercy of the company and they still dictate what business you do, how you do your business, when you do business, and who you can hire. They can terminate you (your contract) at any time. They don't care because it's not their money invested, their name is not on the lease, and it's actually benefits the company because they own all your policies. If you truly want to own an agency, going Independent is the way to go.

Be honest when recruiting Agents. Classify Agents as employees again, because they really are. Stop regulating what type of policies agents have to sell, just provide them with policies that the public want. Stick with what you do best,....insurance......stop trying to tap every market like securities, banking, etc.

Positive for the first three years, pure hell working in their datacenter for 5 years.

Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Analyst in Rochelle, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Analyst in Rochelle, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, excellent health, vision and dental benefits.

Cons

Allstate's IT division runs on the good ol boys system. If you're part of the in crowd, you'll probably thrive. If you're not then you're likely wearing a target on your chest. No matter how hard you work or how well you do your job, corporate politics can absolutely destroy your career at Allstate. Human Resources gives lip service to helping Allstate's employees, but they're no longer in the business of listening nor protecting anyone from much of anything. I got fired from Allstate almost entirely because some very toxic employee decided he didn't like me and wanted to get rid of me. I was yelled at and cursed at many many times by this individual with absolutely no provocation, yet somehow I'm the one that lost my job. When I started work at Allstate, I felt like a valued team member. At the end, it seemed like everyone was just terrified for their job and trying to keep their heads down.

Less focus on meaningless metrics and bean counting and more focus on whether employees get their job done and do it well. Far too much focus on pointless policies and procedures and no real care for just getting things done effectively and efficiently. It is the policies and procedures that are the only reason that everything in the ATO moves at a snails pace. Today's Allstate ATO is an environment where everyone is just terrified of losing their job. Employees will never give you their best in such an environment.

things are changing here, and not for the better!!

Current Employee - Customer Insurance Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Insurance Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Allstate full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits package, 401K match, and a pension plan

Cons

Work-life balance sucks! You will work each and every saturday, using your PTO days is so hard to do because almost everyday is blocked, high-volume calls even in the 4th quarter.

Invest in your unlicensed reps. Offer a bonus structure or everyone else that hasn't already left for met life, will!