Allstate Reviews

1520 reviews filtered by

1. Top Heavy IT Department

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- The pay and benefits are very much in line with industry standard, if not a bit above.
    - Work from home options are available, and PTO offered (based on experience) is well-above industry standard.
    - There is a ton of work to be done on a wide-reaching set of technologies, so there is potential for career / knowledge growth.

Cons

- The onboarding process that I experienced was, by far, the worst that I have ever seen. The most that will be done (after an hour of scrambling because you weren't expected) is to sit you at an empty desk with no explanation of the Allstate processes, systems, etc. Any questions you may have are not answered or, if you do get an answer, you'll be told "Welcome to Allstate", with knowing silence to follow.
    - The IT department (for which I worked) is very top heavy, with most everyone in a leadership position having been with the company for their entire careers. There is no room for other perspectives other than the way things are done at Allstate.
    - The IT management I worked with/for was very much in the mold of wanting to take credit whenever things were going well, and to pass blame off to subordinates whenever things were not. While I do not question the fact that they are managers (i.e. - they have a title), I do question whether they are truly leaders.
    - It is assumed that if something is spoken in Northbrook (HQ), that everyone at every other business location is aware of what was spoken immediately. This is despite the fact that most conversations happen within cubicle farms and no other communication outside of that is offered, in the moment or in follow-up.
    - Your nights and weekends are considered expendable at a moment's notice and without question. While generous PTO is offered, the opportunities to take that PTO are far and few between.
    - The IT department is very process-driven, to the point where you will be handcuffed from doing anything truly meaningful. It appears that the thought is to manage people with limited knowledge through processes and systems, but it severely handcuffs people from getting a lot of work accomplished.

There is something seriously amiss within the IT department at Allstate. The entire department should be analyzed for improvements to both staff and processes.

2. very lucrative, lacks team morale

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Very lucrative, lots of bonuses and incentives

Cons

Lacks backing by the company and low ethics run rampant

Manage client profiles more and team morale.

3. I gained valuable information that applied to both my employment and personal life during my time with Allstate.

Former Employee - Producer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Producer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed educating people about their assets and worth.

Cons

Reporting claims for people who are experiencing total loss was very difficult.

More training on Allstate Gateway.

5. Meh

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Long hours and cold calling

More involved in employees needs

6. Mixed feedback

Former Employee - Vice President Sales
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (insurance, vacation, wellness, etc.). HR was very pleasant to work with, they are very organized so entry into the company from an admin perspective was simple. Pay was reasonable for the position.

Cons

Comp structure in sales was never clearly articulated for the requirements of the job (sales), which, as I was in a new division was very much a work in progress.

Way to many layers and complex organizational structure. Company seems to cater (or pander) to its agents, which, would be logical if the revenue generated was driven equally across the agent network. However, since the bulk of the reveue is driven by such a a small # of agents (80/20 rule), the sensitivity to the agent network overall, inhibits the company from really leveraging technology and other distribution channels. Trapped in an 80 year old culture/mindset.

7. Lazy company, not aggressive with sales or commission

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You work with a small team and your agent can give you mentoring if you want to stay in the biz

Cons

Not aggressive with pricing or sales/commission. Could easily be the second biggest company if they were more aggressive with sales.

Find hustlers, pay them what they are worth, even if its straight commission make it at least first 6 months earnings (usually 5-10% of policy premium)

8. Normal for a big company

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Decent pay. Agency owners are nice people.

Cons

No benefits for agency staff. Strict underwriting guidelines make it hard for LSP's to hit targets. We spend more time chasing paperwork than new clients.

Be more flexible!

9. Highs and Lows.

I worked at Allstate

Pros

Overall very friendly/nice people. Great benefits. Home Office has awesome amenities. Pretty good flexibility (but depends on department - can vary greatly).

Cons

Very political. Some leaders are power hungry and passive aggressive (rather than dealing directly with a work issue, they might instead block a person's career development or something to that effect). The company is huge and very slow moving overall (certain departments have a lot of bureaucracy that doesn't help the end goal).

Managers should not be able to use their power to play favorites and place their their personal feelings about people higher than a person's performance when it comes to reviews. Also applying the work/life balance policies would be much better for everyone. Let go of some of the process/bureaucracy.

10. Insurance principal agent

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Helping and educating others especially the underinsured

Cons

Little control over business and rates

Have a better understanding of what agents deal with on daily basis

11. I worked at Allstate

Pros

none. Constant loss of benefits.

Cons

They will tell you you are independent to do as you want. They control you and set ridiculous sales goals with the worst rates.