Allstate

3.4
1,270 Reviews

Allstate Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas J. Wilson II
Thomas J. Wilson II

Pros
  • The work life balance is ok in some departments and under good managers (in 141 reviews)

• My current department offers work from home once a week which is great (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is sorely out of wack for exempt personal (in 19 reviews)

• upper management likes the best (usually a friend or family member) (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

claims service adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster  in  Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Adjuster in Macon, GA

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

paid time off, benfits, training

Cons

appreaciation , work life balance

stay professional. dont pick favorites

Challenging at best!

Current Employee - Agency Owner
    Current Employee - Agency Owner

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to get a foundation for insurance

Cons

Management has too much input and little helpful information to contribute. Too many chiefs!

More experienced management whom have experience in agency ownership or management

It could have been worse, but they are denying potential to be better.

Former Employee - Claims Processing Specialist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Claims Processing Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Allstate full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits aren't bad, the pay is decent if you are a high performer with no bachelors. It can be a steady source of work. You don't have to worry about your appearance. Many people are friend;y

Cons

The management is passive aggressive and condescending. There is not a lot of opportunity to move forward, depending on where you start.

There are components of the jobs that are unnecessarily stressful and since I have left the companies i have read that a lot of the call center practices are antiquated and ineffective. The way things are structured currently preys on people with low self-esteem, people with health problems and single parents. It has a nice veneer but whats under the hood needs to be improved if retention is to get any better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work life balance

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are solid, culture is friendly, on-site gym, upscale cafeteria, opportunities to grow

Cons

Pay is below industry average, work is less challenging then desired, there is a lot of process but that is expected for a large company, work force cuts are more frequent than ever.

Claims adjuster trainee

I have been working at Allstate

Pros

Easy to apply on line. Friendly all around. Good company financial

Cons

Not very organized. I have applied for a few different jobs over the year. Some of the jobs were canceled out and others they claim to be entry but really aren't. I have 15 years insurance sales

Make sure you know what jobs you want filled before placing ads for employment. Had 2 cancel with in 24 of being posted

Took a chance and blew it.

Former Employee - COACHING PARTNER  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - COACHING PARTNER in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Time off is generous but I was hearing before leaving that they're looking to tweak this. Fun co workers, casual environment and knowledge from working in insurance is beneficial especially in Charlotte.

Cons

Where do I start? You'd think a large company like Allstate would have enough "good hands" to help their customers at the call centers.. Not so! Charlotte is pretty much the defacto call center that handles the majority of call flow throughout the country.. Let me repeat that. THE. ENTIRE. COUNTRY. There are two other call centers but they are more so auxiliaries with different roles.. Texas handles outbound and Idaho.. Well, the verdict is still out on what management wants to do with them considering they're looking at changing a lot of roles there.

Charlotte is bleeding employees, it's sad. Recent reorganization and focus in operations to satisfy disgruntled agents is backfiring big time and now employees are being tasked to cover up mismanagement by higher ups and are becoming fatigued. Customer reps are absorbing more duties that were outside their roles. Combine this with Tom Wilson's love of premium increases to enrage customers and you got a recipe for a interesting, if not, wicked interaction between irritated reps and broke customers. Due to the long layover time to train people there's been difficulty in maintaining adequate levels for call handling. Going to work on Saturdays is like walking the Green Mile right into Hades.

You guys know you screwed up.. Everyone is scrambling to find a quick fix but there isn't one and one, or many, of you will be tossed out to save some VP's cushy job.

Management is profit focused

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Big budgets, little accountablility. Able to do some interesting experiemnetal work at the cutting edge

Cons

Lack of new products, politics nasty. Big initiatives every year that suck up resources and go nowhere. Current CMO is a joke -- he would be a Senior Manager at any other place.

Look for growth not profits. Make the tough decisions to improve the customer experience. Actually launch real new products rather than play around with them, and weaken them so much they're meaningless

Good Hands, Not really.

Former Employee - Insurance Processor Band III  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Processor Band III in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are still good, I like the 5% match on the 401k. Company will also match your donation to some of the company sponsored charities if you give to them. In my opinion they are fair to the employees when a reduction in force takes place as far as giving a severance pay. I worked with some very smart, friendly and wonderful people.

Cons

Out of Country Outsourcing has really made the morale low. Technology needs to shape up, don't roll programs until you check for problems on the front end like we used to do. Now they roll them out and try to fix the problem after the insured's policy is messed up. Way to many WAD's or working as designed. They stopped checking programs on the front end and started releasing them and waiting to see what problems would present themselves. Bad customer service to let a customer's policy get messed up and find out the system is working as designed and we can't fix it. No more in class training except for Vendors or New Employees. You ask a question (on website) not allowed to "bother" Team Support and are told to read the RIO document which doesn't always answer the question. Then you have to send it back with the same question. Takes 4 or 5 days to get policies processed when you go back and forth with questions. This is NOT Team Support's fault, they have been "dumped on" with so much stuff it is not funny. Company needs to listen to employees and not come back months later and say what happened? Many conversations where had that could have stopped or correct problems and issues, but managers don't listen or don't understand the processes and how they will affect the customer. Sad! There are promotions, but I noticed some employees getting a "you are not qualified call" before they even finished the testing. Makes you wonder if they have you going through the motion so they can say they offered it to everyone.

Listen, Listen, Ask and Educate yourselves on the functions. That way you can understand when employees are trying to tell you why it is not a good idea to proceed with something. If you don't understand, ask again and again. Bottom line the customer is suffering for the profit that is made rolling out fast and outsourcing before necessary. It is for the customer bottom line!

Good stable place to work. Lots of opportunity.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Allstate always has something new happening. You will never be bored and if you want to give something else a try- they will make that happen.

Cons

Constantly changing priorities, very low budget but still have to achieve the impossible. Lots of hours are put in by everyone. Be careful of burnout. Pay scale is lower than market which in turn leads to lower quality employees and fast turnover.

Focus on the good talent and compensate appropriately. It's harder and more expensive in the long run to lose a great employee. Allow for more work life balance like opportunities to work from home and/or have flex time.

It was a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Claims Service Adjuster Trainee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Service Adjuster Trainee in Irving, TX

I worked at Allstate full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This company is good at working with an employee balancing work and family.

Cons

The con is trying to get back into the company as an in house claim adjuster trainee. I have gotten several rejection emails after applying for some of the job openings. With having 25 years of past insurance experience with this company in property, auto and customer service, I am really disappointed with the reviewing of your past experiences.

Since I have not been with the company since 2010 I can't give advice to management, but management in the past was very good.

Worked for Allstate? Contribute to the Community!