Allstate Workplace

David A. Bird

Great Place, Great Team, Old Software Practices and Methodology

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Allstate Workplace as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with are awesome.

Cons

The SDLC needs to be expanded to ALM.
    Tools are old, but there is a plan in place to upgrade.

Ask the people on the front line what they need to do their job. Don't take for granted that a few people in management positions can make an informed decision without assessing conditions in the field every so often.

Good, but…...

Former Employee - Senior POLICY DOCUMENT SPECIALIST  in  Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Senior POLICY DOCUMENT SPECIALIST in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Allstate Workplace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good experience. Great people.

Cons

Lots of outsourcing. Laid off after 13 years.

Keep the jobs in the USA!

No training

I worked at Allstate Workplace

Pros

Not many, if you are financially strapped this is not the place for you, figure at least 6 mos. ramp-up.

Cons

Support from corp. and local area managers.

Hire a third party to clean up current absence of training and support.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dysfunctional place to spend eight hours.

Current Employee - ITS  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - ITS in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Allstate Workplace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home capabilities - sometimes

Cons

Very low pay compared to the rest of the market. Insane secretive management politics created by and fostered by upper management. They do not consider the employee working 60 hours a week. They also treat their contractors as second class citizens. As a FT employee, seeing how the contractors are purposely kept out of events/communication is disgusting. The culture here is beyond dysfunctional. If you are not a Manager/Director, you are not even spoken to...no "good morning" not even a "hello" by upper management. The workers here are treated as nothing more than a replaceable number. There is a high volume of turnover from contractors. It is also not uncommon for many of these contractors to be terminated without notice. It is a slimy low down dirty dog fight of a culture. Sr management holds an annual "come and see how the rich and Allstate famous live" type of tour. Cookies and juice are offered as you, the underpaid, get to tour their floor and see their offices & conference rooms. Jeans are only allowed every few weeks...for a price. Facilities are beyond disgusting (think NY subway smell). Recently, an offshore onsite coordinator (contractor) was let go and while discussing what must have been a very hard decision to make (dealing with a persons job & all), one of the directors said "welcome to America". This company has absolutely no morals, no compassion and absolutely no care or concern for either their FT employees and most certainly not their disposable contractors.

Sr management should certainly pay attention to what is happening on every single floor (besides the golden 8th floor of course). The morale will never ever change unless the management is completely removed. Cronyism is alive and well in IT. The way the employees are spoken to & treated is absolutely despicable and you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Bait and Switch recruiting tactics

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allstate Workplace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Brand, flexibility of product design. The company has a well-known brand and the marketing is engaging, primarily for the property and casualty market

Cons

Terrible Salary. Mediocre benefits. Unrealistic sales goals and weekly broker call expectations.
    You are charged for the company car and cellphone.

Don't mislead candidates re: compensation, don't allow territory directors to micromanage, don't allow profanity to be used by management in corporate meetings.

Allstate's Ethics

Former Employee - Sales Producer  in  Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Producer in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Allstate Workplace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allstate has state of the art sales training, although it can be like brainwashing and a little cultish, you learn some good techniques.

Cons

The company itself seemed a bit unethical. I felt like this mainly because the agent I worked for and a handful of others were running the show in our region. The state managers are really supposed to be running the show and these agencies are getting special treatment based on past relationships with higher ups. Although the agency I worked at, and a few others benefitted from this, it was still unethical.

They are intense on some of the sales training. Although it is always good to practice, practice, and sell, sell... it is regularly drilled into your head. You are required to watch what's called "Whoople" with Paul Cummings and friends (EVERY DAY) and required to come into work early to do so, constantly telling you how to think, act...

One member of our staff returned from a bootcamp style training course where they kept people up all night and made them disclose personal things about their lives to "dig deep" into themselves. He had to learn a Creed, comperable to the SNL skit's Stuart Smalley speech about I'm good enough, smart enough - except with some extra wierdness. Like, I will always be at level ten, every day, no matter what, nothing can stop me, blah blah. When he returned from this trip he announced that all the staff would have to learn this overnight or suffer consequences. It was four paragraphs long. This was an Allstate bootcamp. I was glad I never went to what I ended up dubbing the brain washing camp.

Training. When I got hired with the company I was sent to a month long crash course about Allstate products. I was told "Forget what you learned in your licensing studies because you need to learn it the Allstate way". That made sense, but then all they ever tought me was how to make sales. Yes they brushed on the subjects of what insurance products, and how to use the systems, but not enough to get me started in my position. I felt very untrained when I started selling because no one wanted to talk about the products, only how to sell them.

With all that said, I genuinly liked each manager or higher up I met withing the company. I spent lots of time in crash courses in GR training with the honchos on AFS products. Again, didn't want to talk about the products. Said, "Sell the AFS guy, don't worry about the products". THere was lots of pressure to do so, but if you weren't actually closing the AFS deals you weren't getting compensated for it, unless you count the contests they had for those who sent the most referrals - regional competitions. So in other words, you are being prodded with a stick to sell the AFS guys to the customer, and this takes finess, like convincing a client to go with a particular financial advisor. If you aren't and advisor you shouldn' be discussing it if you aren't educated about the products. The incentive for getting daily proddings to sell AFS were that you could compete with the rest of your region for an ipod or something. Okay if it's worth harassing all of your P&C or Life customers - sure.

But I did start that comment with saying I liked the managers. They were just doing their jobs. They were all pretty nice folks (a lot of ex agency owners that got into mgmt later). It is corporate who is wiping up messes for hand picked agents, and the nature of it is not desirable.

Lower your rates and stop price goudging people. Appreciate the clients that have been there for 30 years instead of kicking them out the door with massive increases. Saying you have great coverage for a great price out of one side of your mouth, and having the highest rates in the industry next to AAA is not consistant and makes you look bad. At least to the angry customers on the way out the door. Furthermore it makes it difficult to sell the product. You can only go so far with the whole service side of the company when the price is actually insulting to most people.

I enjoy being part of the Allstate Brand.

Current Employee - Staff Claims Adjuster  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Allstate Workplace

Pros

Allstate offers great benefits, es[ecially if you think long term and into retirment.

Cons

High workload and often stuck on processes.

Allstate has got to do better with keeping up with Advanced technology and think out side the box when it come to their processes.

The establishment as a whole is an okay place to work. A few changes would bring great results.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Allstate Workplace

Pros

The landscape is nice. Both the inside and out are aesthetically pleasing. They have a nicely paved walking trail. For the most part everyone is professional, pleasant and communicating efficiently to get tasks completed.

Cons

Presently, there is a strict dress code and we have to "earn" the right to wear jeans on a Friday. This makes me feel like I am back in school.

Some of the permanently employed lower management are getting too political.

It's slowing them down from disbursing work.

Currently, they are getting away with not meeting deadlines when they shouldn't. They have perfectly capable staff. If they weren't focused on politics and keeping the staff under them repressed they wouldn't have a problem meeting the deadlines.

Make them feel secure under the condition that deadlines are being met and they will be forced to let go of the reigns a bit.

Also, on a side note, the employees don't want an Allstate totebag if not everyone is going to get one. It makes your permanent workers feel awkward when there are long-term contractors sitting right next to them that "didn't get one". I would suggest not giving them out in the first place.

Interesting Place to Work, Great Benefits Package

Former Employee - Direct Sales Professional  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Professional in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Allstate Workplace

Pros

They train and pay for your licensing; Great benefits package from DAY 1!

Cons

Not flexible with scheduling if you are in school

Content Employee

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Allstate Workplace

Pros

There are pockets of stress-free low-turnover areas to work in., work life balance, decent benefits, pretty campus, clean secure building

Cons

pockets of stressful areas with high turnover, AWD does not get all the perks of Allstate at Northbrook, poor promotion choices in some areas

Maybe upper management should be more in touch and pay more attention to the general mood of the employee population.

Worked for Allstate Workplace? Contribute to the Community!