Alltel Reviews in Little Rock, AR

4.1

Alltel President, CEO, and Director Scott T. Ford
Scott T. Ford

Pros
  • Respect from management, challenging environment , great benefits (in 8 reviews)

• It was just a great place all the way around (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • acquired by Verizon, no longer operating as independent company (in 4 reviews)

• Obviously, a few will probably remain in Little Rock but many will be eliminated (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company, RIP Alltel

Former Employee - Staff Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Staff Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Alltel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative, Very strong team focus. Leadership vision and execution was top-notch.

Cons

No longer around (VZW acquired in 2009)

Alltel was great

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Alltel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working for them, they valued me as an employee and my hard work was rewarded.

Cons

Some managers should not have been managers.

Not recommended

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Alltel

Pros

Benefits were great. Coworkers were awesome.

Cons

Incompetent upper management that was disrespectful to employees.

Managers needed to be held accountable.

Good place to work overall

I worked at Alltel

Pros

Good place to work. Salary and compensation good.

Cons

Promotions to management was not always commensurate with individuals skills and abilities.

Place the right peole in the possitions commensurate with their skills and abilities.

Pretty good place to work

I worked at Alltel

Pros

Progressive environment, balances between being cutting-edge and playing smart (not conservative, but not overly agressive in strategy). Atmosphere was congenial, easy to make friends.

Cons

Easy to get overworked; workload was not really monitored correctly to ensure even distribution. Too much ebb and flow when it came to projects.

Don't forget who makes the engine run; sales and support people deserve the recognition for a job well done, and the corporate support structure is consistently overworked.

Was a great place to work

Former Employee - Programmer in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Programmer in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Alltel

Pros

In IT, the pay is excellent and there are many opportunities for advancement. The work is interesting, and most of the people are committed, good workers. Training is usually readily available. Good work is rewarded. Management seems to be cooperative when family issues come up. Telecommuting is available, which actaully allows one to get more work done.

Cons

With downsizing over the years, people have been taking on more work. Sometimes it's too much, and the hours can be very long. During an implementation, it's not unheard of to work an 80 hour week. Meetings are often over-used, and not always well organized.

More employees are needed to cover all the work. Not jsut overseas contractors who don't really have a stake in the final project

Customer-Centric Winner

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Alltel

Pros

Alltel truly ttried to win in the marketplace. In early years, that at times led to short-sighted decisions but after senior management eventually realized that focusing on customer satisfaction was crucial. From that point on (2004), we became a different, innovative company. The company also then invested heavily in its people flying 3,000 managers (about 15% of the workforce) to Little Rock each year to hear directly from the CEO about the keys for success for the upcoming year.

Cons

Without a national footprint of our own, we were always at risk of being bought out. I'm glad we made it as long as we did.

When Sprint fails, take the helm at let's take another run at the big two. It'll be fun.

Alltel - RIP

Current Employee - Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Alltel

Pros

Great coworkers, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Incompetent middle management, upper management that has never been on the front lines, Western Wireless and former WW employees that have refused to get on board with Alltel and who will most likely refuse to get on board with Verizon!!!!, poor decision making on the part of some management. Little to no information regarding the merger. Making "quiet" exits of people that have worked there for years that are being laid off so as to not disturb the culture in LR instead of being honest that people are being laid off each week.

Know the job of who you are managing and make better promotion decisions.

Good company with opportunities for professional development.

I worked at Alltel

Pros

Encouragement of professional growth and opportunities to advance and gain experience in a variety of functional areas. I appreciated the challenges and opportunties to learn. In addition, I always felt like I was treated with respect and felt that the work environment was very positive. Teamwork was encouraged. Training was readily available and encouraged for all departments.

Cons

Bureaucratic structure with roadblocks that hamper productivity, at times. The organizational structure and approval processes made accomplishing tasks a slow process. Also, the presence of politics was prevalent within some departments.

My main piece of feedback would be for management to promote more open feedback from varous levels within the company.

It's almost over!

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Alltel

Pros

Alltel is a fortune 251 company that kind of experience can be invaluable for future endeavors. There are a lot of established processes and that allow for a more efficient governance of business application thereby increasing ROI, minimizing duplication of efforts and streamlining efforts.

Cons

Alltel is very much a "good 'ol boy" type company and if you're not in the right 'click', it can be very tough to get ahead. Lack of career path and career development is very frustrating.

include senior and consultant level employees in leadership development and provide people with career paths and opportunities to grow.

Alltel Photos