Alltel Reviews

Reset

1. Life as A BSR

Former Employee - Business Solutions Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Business Solutions Representative in Charlotte, NC

Pros

If you are willing to be on the pavement a lot you will succeed in very good commissions; the benefits: 401K, great profit sharing and great health insurance.

Cons

they like to change the commission scale too much- i think when you keep making the money then they take away by revamping the commission scale which is ludicrous.

Advice to Management

keep you in the loop about changing plans and new phone training.

2. Alltel - RIP

Current Employee - Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Great coworkers, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Incompetent middle management, upper management that has never been on the front lines, Western Wireless and former WW employees that have refused to get on board with Alltel and who will most likely refuse to get on board with Verizon!!!!, poor decision making on the part of some management. Little to no information regarding the merger. Making "quiet" exits of people that have worked there for years that are being laid off so as to not disturb the culture in LR instead of being honest that people are being laid off each week.

Advice to Management

Know the job of who you are managing and make better promotion decisions.

3. Good company with opportunities for professional development.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Encouragement of professional growth and opportunities to advance and gain experience in a variety of functional areas. I appreciated the challenges and opportunties to learn. In addition, I always felt like I was treated with respect and felt that the work environment was very positive. Teamwork was encouraged. Training was readily available and encouraged for all departments.

Cons

Bureaucratic structure with roadblocks that hamper productivity, at times. The organizational structure and approval processes made accomplishing tasks a slow process. Also, the presence of politics was prevalent within some departments.

Advice to Management

My main piece of feedback would be for management to promote more open feedback from varous levels within the company.

5. Alltel is retail, but it pays pretty well if your good.

Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Mankato, MN

Pros

Great industry to be in, everyone has a cell phone. Compensation is there if you are willing to work for it, or have the sales skills necessary. It's a good atmosphere to work in, the store I worked in was mainly college students and or people in their mid 20's with the few exceptions of 40 year olds. Cool people.

Cons

Retail hours, and micromanagement. You also have quarterly reviews that are a headache to deal with when the came in to your store and watch you like a hawk.

Advice to Management

Not to micromanage so much. If there is a skilled sales person that is successful with their techniques let them use them, don't try to change everyone.

6. Alltel is a good place to be if you can deal with ego and attitude.

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The work is interesting and you will learn a lot in regard to process development, engineering, marketing, and IT. Good springboard to a larger corporation if you can put up with daily fire drills by middle managers who are not able to stay on top of their numbers.

Cons

Directors in Marketing Directors have ego and attitude to spare. When the Verizon buyout was announced anybody who was a Staff Manager was bumped up to Director with little to no experience as a true leader. Scott Ford was a good leader that had a bad situation happen to him with the Verizon buyout, but I have faith that he will do right by Little Rock again.

Advice to Management

Clean out your middle managers and bring back 360 performance reviews.

7. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Client Server Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Client Server Analyst in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Great place to work, good top management. Good benefits and bonus. great carrier development.

Cons

Well Alltel is now Verizon and we have yet to see how it changes after the merger. Verizon has very different culture and work environment, so this difference can make Alltel a better or worse place to work, we have to see yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't loose your focus from main issues.

If your schedule is not an issue, working for Alltel can be profitable.

Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Springfield, MO

Pros

You have the option to make $50,000 the first year if you want to put the work in. If you have a great work ethic, you will be rewarded. They offer a nice benefits package to employees from the start.

Cons

The schedule can be difficult if you have a family. Also, some in management are willing to overlook qualified candidates for job openings if they have someone else in mind. Can be unwilling to even review applications in order to pick their "friends" for specific position. You will get the option to take vacation time, however you will not always be able to take it as the managers have the scheduling power and from time to time it can be difficult, so plan ahead when you want to take time off.

Advice to Management

Make sure to listen to the suggestions of others.

Hanging on for the ride

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manhattan, KS

Pros

THe benefits and pay are great. The middle management group, while at times is a bit inconsistent. They try to keep things working despite the pressures from upper management.

Cons

certain processes are a tab tedious. Certain members of middle management are stuck in old ways of thinking. The shift bids are painful.

Advice to Management

open your mind a bit, it shouldnt be so difficult to work with the employees. Treat us as though you want us to be there.

10. ALLTEL - ONE FUN, EMPLOYEE FOCUSED, OVERALL GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND THRIVE!!!!

Current Employee - Senior Wireless Consultant in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Wireless Consultant in Traverse City, MI

Pros

Alltel is an employee- focused company. If you enjoy sales, their wireless consultant position offers advancement opportunities, incredible benefits that include vision, medical and dental, on top of respect for you as an individual within the company. Other perks include adoption assistance, and tuition reimbursement. I cannot think of one company right now that even compares with Alltel as far as stability and energy goes. This company is geared towards reaching its financial goals quarter after quarter, and including its front-line employees in an incredible compensation and benefits package. Overall I give this company an A+!! Management is always ready to help you out and often I feel like I am the most important employee in the store I work at and managers and everyone else is there to help me out and offer their support.

Cons

I work in sales at Alltel, and of course any retail sales environment can be very stressful. You deal with all aspects of the general public, and it is very much like owning your own business. Keeping track of your customers and following up with them and meeting the needs of customers in the timeframe you are allowed is challenging. Often I have to go into work on a day off to finish work, or catch up on things. It is a commission based job so if you sell you make money, if you don't sell, you don't make a lot of money. But you do get salary and commission, so there is a cushion to fall back on. Be prepared to work overtime if needed, and if you thrive in a sometimes stressful environment you will do well. This kind of position can be hard on families or if you have kids. But there are plenty of rewards, including the opportunity to make a nice size salary when you combine your hourly plus commission.

Advice to Management

Continue to be there for your employees and pay a bit more attention to employees' suggestions and comments. Overall I love my job and I think all of you are doing great at taking care of me and making sure I'm a happy employee!!

11. R.I.P. Alltel, you had a good run.

Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Little Rock, AR

Pros

opportunities are great as long as you meet the minimum required.

Cons

being bought by verizon is meaning the end of what we could have been by buying sprint.

Advice to Management

don't be a sellout, i understand that we weren't given a choice but that is the danger you run into when you get bought by the private sector. You lose all control.

RSS Feed </> Embed