Ally Financial Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Jeffrey Brown

Pros
  • Challenging work environment with good respect for work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Challenging work environment and able to contribute instantly (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is challenging (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of indecision on direction at the mid - senior management level (in 9 reviews)

1. Ally Bank Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial as an intern

Pros

Great managers and great teams. Work/life balance is fantastic. Pays fairly well for an internship. Overall very positive experience at the company.

Cons

The company reputation isn't as strong as other big banks in the area (e.g. Wells Fargo, Bank of America, etc.). Formal intern program is relatively new and the structure is still a little flimsy.

Advice to Management

Maintain the excellent company culture - strong work ethic, focus on integrity, collaboration, etc. Continue to build out the intern program and focus on aligning interns to areas of the company they are interested in.

Poor HR Department Ruining Potentially Great Company

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, opportunity to work with leading-edge banking technology, well appointed office facilities, superb middle mangement

Cons

Poor human resources department — verging on discriminatory practices toward disabled employees, "egalitarian" policies remove standard corporate titles and associated compensation typically found in banking, organisational immaturity creates additional unnecessary work and attracts undue regulatory pressures, senior leadership often not open to opposing viewpoints or ideas aside from their own

Advice to Management

Ally leadership needs to take a hard look at their human resources department. I joined their organisation with over 15 years of banking and financial services leadership experience, from both much larger banks and smaller ones, and found problems in this key area from the start. I had to initiate both my own background check and my own drug test — if I hadn't enquired after each, they never would have happened. Once employed, although my manager and I quickly reached a reasonable accommodation to address my lifelong disabilities, HR did not agree with our working arrangement. When I left to take short term disability for a surgery, I found that HR never processed the paperwork, and I was let go for "job abandonment" — something I find highly distasteful and would never do. Adding insult to injury, four years later, Ally HR filed with the IRS that I never had income tax withheld (or paid in any way), even though I have paystubs and tax documents showing otherwise. Finally, in my attempts to resolve this (as the IRS has now seized all my assets and frozen my accounts), I find that Ally's HR department now has no record of me working there. These are deeply troubling problems that overshadow a growing company with many bright and talented workers looking to ensure the company's success. Fix these systemic problems and listen to your people — financial services has taken a big hit over the last decade; banks like Ally should be leading the way, not scraping by on the bare minimum.

3. FP&A Intern

Former Intern - FP&A Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Intern - FP&A Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good community, challenging material, excellent manager/employee relationship, building is beautiful. Good pay, not as good as some competitors wihtin the Charlotte area, but it's good. I would recommend this role to anyone interested in a prelim feel of a financial analyst role.

Cons

Not the best hours, I particularly was expected to work more than 65+ hours a week. Most financial anaylst roles tend to have closer to 45-50. People are very welcoming but also very competitive and a bit cocky. It's hard to feel "safe" around some employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but explain to other analysts that they should engage interns more and not expect them to strictly do mindless work. I would have enjoyed more of a challenge while working for the company

Bad apple

Former Employee - Senior Messaging Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Messaging Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial

Pros

Nice office in uptown location

Cons

I worked for a manager who routinely ignored email communication and IMs. During my exit interview, I let him know that was a main reason for my leaving the company. I tried to interview for a role with a different manager, and he blocked me from being hired. I notified upper management by email, and that email was ignored.

Advice to Management

Weed out the bad apples

6. Decent organization, but could be much better

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is quite competitive - There are lots of opportunities for training, where you could re-train / re-tool yourself.

Cons

Time off policies could be better - Also there is not much of a work-life balance present, not at least in mid level positions...Leadership is average.

Advice to Management

Take action on employee feedback surveys.

7. Good Career Starter/Resume Builder - but not the company it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial

Pros

Many people at Ally take the time to offer help and guidance and you can therefore learn quite a bit from an operations and technical standpoint. So, Ally can definitely be a good resume builder.

Cons

Many managers lack basic leadership skills and although you will find opportunities to learn and strengthen your technical skillset, I found it very difficult to learn about the business and grow as an analyst. Ally simply doesn't pay like it used to and I would consider it a career starter. If you stay, you may get stuck in an operations dead end with decent pay, but long hours and very few exit opportunities.

Advice to Management

Upward mobility is quickly becoming a privilege at Ally and many talent people choose to leave the company. Although the company has had some tough financial times, you get what you pay for, and you may be surprised how few people would choose to come back.

Best employer I have worked for

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial full-time

Pros

Work/life balance; the bank wants to be different than the big competitors by being more transparent; I personally had a fantiastic boss

Cons

Sometimes it feels that you are working for two companies as there are different processes and policies for the bank as for the other areas

Advice to Management

Reward good managers, work on simplifying processes between the bank and other areas of the company

Great - On the surface...

Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Web Applications Developer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent pay levels when you join the team - Really good benefits and an affordable price - Working with some of the best talent in Charlotte - Collaborative eCommerce culture

Cons

- Don't expect a raise. Raises are far and few between and bonuses only happen if you fight for them. - Benefits costs continue to rise each year, but that's pretty standard. - Really great people being pushed to the breaking point. If you like having a work life balance, this is not for you. - The culture is only surface deep. The majority of the company really doesn't understand what it means to be a digital organization.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping the staff you have engaged. When I say engaged, I don't mean pile more work on. I mean actually spending time trying to keep the talent you have/had. The way to ensure you get great new talent is to keep the existing talent you already have. If you don't, don't be surprised when you end up with lower productivity and higher costs on everything you do.

10. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Front End Web Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Front End Web Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ally Financial

Pros

Flexible and laid back atmosphere

Cons

Parking not included for contractors

Manager

Current Employee - Treasury Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Treasury Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of opportunity to move up or laterally -Feels like working for an underdog or up-and-comer -Great people and solid management - for the most part

Cons

-Some politics and favoritism but that is pretty standard in a company this size -Opportunities seem less abundant at satellite offices (i.e., outside of Charlotte or Detroit) -Some groups seem to do all of the work while others clock out consistently after 8 hours

Advice to Management

I would probably say this to leadership at any organization, but take a serious look at some of the manager-level and above employees. Don't play favorites - be honest about their true ability, work ethic, and value-add to the company. I see plenty of hungry, young, ambitious employees that are dedicated and too many complacent, lazy, overpaid, and underutilized managers (and above).

RSS Feed </> Embed