Ally Financial

Ally Financial Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Ally Financial CEO and Director Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter

Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, good pay, and nice facilities"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Smart team members, nice work environment, gym a big plus"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also work-life balance for many was unheard of"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Some senior management are not strong leaders and are not able to keep their teams aligned to the company strategy"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Contractor at Ally Financial

Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ally Financial as a contractor

ProsOpportunity to work independently. Most people there were easy going. Very helpful IT department.

ConsA lot of turnover in management. Contractors were segregated. Role was not clearly defined. Inconsistent workload.

The worst place I ever worked at

Claims Representative (Current Employee)
Itasca, IL

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbsolutely no pros for this company

ConsI currently work in the Itasca office and this is the absolute worst place I have ever worked. The management is constantly micromanaging you from watching and recording every move you make to find the smallest fault to use against you. Ally has a feeder program for kids graduating from SIU and Ferris college, so they cater to them. These are the kids that still live at home with mom and dad, and are the ones advancing in the company with promotions and raises. Like I said these are kids, just out of school with no background, no experience, and no responsibilities, but they are the ones going forward over the people that have several years experience and knowledge. It does not matter how much you go above and beyond your duties, you will not be looked at if you are not an SIU or Ferris graduate. There is constant discrimination of age, and your background. They will promise you advancement and bonuses when your interviewed, but will never receive anything unless your on the A list like I mentioned above. All the kids start out making more than you and receive a healthy bonus to work there, and of course will pass you up in promotions. I was passed up four times for promotions I applied for that I was more than qualified for by kids that still live at home with absolutely no experience or background in any field. You can't talk to anyone about your concerns they will just lie to you and make up stories. I questioned one of the operations managers about a promotion I was passed up for and more than qualified, and I was told I should look for another job if I wasn't happy. All the training goes to the kids so they are groomed for the positions they are promised and it's obvious. They do give you several PTO days when you start, but good luck trying to get any time off that you want, especially around any holiday. Don't even think about being sick, when you call in with the flu or something serious, you will get the third degree and they will try to convince you to come in even for half a day. When you are sick they force you to use a PTO day whether you want to or not, and then use that against you saying it was an unexcused absence. The only decent thing is the benefits, they are a little pricey but a lot less than you would have to pay on your own, and the coverage is great. That's the only thing keeping me from leaving until I can find a real career. There is so much more, and I can go on for hours about the negativity at this place. Apply at your own risk. If they promise you bonuses and quick advancement, think about this review. If you find something else, I would recommend to take the something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour discrimination is terrible, and obvious. You better take a look in the mirror, or you just might be hit with a lawsuit from several of your employees. Oh, except the SIU ones.

Bias Lending and Employment Practices, Stay Far Away From Ally Financial!

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work if you hope to file a discrimination suit against your employer.

ConsBlatant racism, sexism and homophobia are part of the employment experience. While I worked at the firm my boss call me her "little black boy", I was told the Justin Bieber was a f*gg*t and that one of my co-workers was a "fine piece of a**". The kicker was that I worked in HR. Clearly, the recent fines that Ally Financial has agreed to pay due to bias lending practices that over charged black customers shows that my experiences are not isolated and bias is a systemic component of the firm's culture. Maybe an investment in a diversity program can pull this firm out of the 1970's with regards to race relations and treatment of women.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in diversity, so you don't get sued for discrimination AGAIN.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ally financial is a terrible place to work

Claim Representative (Current Employee)
Itasca, IL

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInsurance package is the only benefit of working for Ally. It's a little costly but great coverage and a lot less if you were paying for it out of pocket.

ConsEverything else about the place. They discriminate against age and where you went to school, no advancement, they cater to kids with no experience or background and no responsibilities. These kids that still live at home with mom and dad are getting raises, promotions and advancement over people that have many years experience, strong background and more than qualified to do the job. Management lies to you and denies doing this, when everyone in the entire office is complaining about it. These kids from SIU start getting groomed for their future position they are promised as soon as they are hired, while the rest of the employees take a back seat to them. The Itasca office is a complete joke, the management is constantly micromanaging you, you are always being watched and recorded, and they are always letting you know of what your not doing. You will never get a compliment from them, but will always get critisizm. If you go for an interview and your not an SIU graduate, and they promise you a bonus and advancement, don't buy into their BS. they tell all non SIU people that and don't deliver. They just need warm bodies to answer their phones. Be warned, if you have another place your thinking of working at, TAKE IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, your micromanaging is brutal, your constantly watching and recording us even when your not in the office, get a life. You never give us non SIU people a chance, and your lying and denying is BS. We see right through all of you and your all so predictable. We already know who the next kid from SIU is getting promoted just by watching them get groomed. It's so obvious, and you think your hiding it by lying and denying it. One day your going to have a discrimination lawsuit on your hands, and it's not only going to be from one employee.

Great company to work for

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent visionary leaders who really care about their customers, employees and the future of the company.

ConsTough marketplace with unrelenting government regulation

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your foot on the gas we have a bright future with unlimited potential and opportunities.

analyst

I worked at Ally Financial

Prosgood people around, location , sallary

Consmanagement is not that great

No longer the same company I started with

Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 8 years

Pros1. Competitive pay, bonus, vacation and benefits;
2. Market leader on auto financing and on-line banking

Conscomplete take-over of leadership by networks from another larger bank, totally changed the company culture - for worse

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on Ally, don't sideline many great talents, the club culture worked in larger banks, might not work well for Ally, which still faces great deal of uncertainties.

Great legacy and business brand/reputation - huge issues with toxic corporate culture

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAlly is a great resume builder with mature processes and knowledgable people who can help one learn the business. There is higher than average compensation & good benefits.

ConsToxic work environment - higher compensation levels should be viewed as "hazard" pay used to offset everything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the politically connected leaders who are examples of what not to do for exhibiting LEAD behaviors!

A competitive fast paced intensive on going training work environment.

Collections Representative (Former Employee)
Roseville, MN

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAlly Financial provides competitive customer service training. You will always have the opportunity to work hard, learn, grow and development many skills working with the company.

ConsWorking in a fast paced competitive office environment can be stressful at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways strive to be better. Knowing that you're best can always get better.

General review

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCo-workers
Industry
Technology partners
Good products
Excellent product knowledge

ConsZero career pathing
Budget cuts have been going on for years

Worked for Ally Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Ally Financial Videos

Ally Financial – Why Work for Us?

We are Ally Financial A leading auto services company powered by a top direct bank with a unique customer approach. Our history began in 1919. Our job then, was the same as it is today: to fuel the auto industry with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ally Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ally Financial CEO Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Ally Financial employees.