Ally Financial

Ally Financial Reviews in Detroit, MI

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Ally Financial CEO and Director Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter

Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter

Pros
  • Good colleagues, work life balance, and competitive pay (in 15 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, good pay, and nice facilities (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work-life balance for many was unheard of (in 7 reviews)

• Some senior management are not strong leaders and are not able to keep their teams aligned to the company strategy (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, becoming more difficult to work there as the company moves towards IPO

Executive Director, Information Technology Group (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsWell paying company with strong benefits and auto purchase opportunities. Still moving fast and trying to redefine itself to become a strong bank. #1 online bank and largest auto financier.

ConsSome senior management are not strong leaders and are not able to keep their teams aligned to the company strategy. IT Infrastructure is especially challenged with poor leadership.

Ally Financial - Short minded

Risk Director (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGenerally speaking good compensation levels. Very competitive

ConsManagement in risk is very short minded. In many instances control freaks

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan more strategically and empower people

Tough Company to work for in IT

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsPay is good. Company as a whole is doing very well and consistently growing and increasing profits.

ConsStill undergoing lots of change. Different areas in IT are run better than others. Typical of a large company. However, senior/executive leadership doesn't see that some areas are consistently under performing and have a revolving door of employees.

Insource / Outsource strategy is constantly in flux. Pick a direction and stick with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to take an honest look at some of the under performing IT areas and change the leadership. It's not hard to see the areas that need review.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good and some bad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood benefits, good people, overall not a bad place to work. There are pockets of knowledge, and people are willing to share and help.

ConsBureaucracy stalls the progress, it takes unreasonably long time to push things through the system to get them done. By the time they are done they may be obsolete or not needed, or requirements may have been changed. There are clear signs of lack of vision, and shifting directions on management side.

Friendly place to work

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsLeadership
    Work environment
    Study program for Actuaries
    Time-off policy
    Voluntary opportunities

ConsLow pay compared to other companies
    Low retention of employees

I had a great time at Ally, received the support I needed to achieve my goals

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGrowing company, challenging and fast paced for dynamic individuals

ConsFast paced environment, too many changes too fast

Great people. Great job

Analyst (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsPeople were great, including management

ConsMy pay was horrible. Also work-life balance for many was unheard of

Positive experience

Program Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat people to work with and you obtain a lot of experience.

ConsRemember to keep a work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to send a thank you note to employees.

Over bearing bosses, micro managed, always negative.

Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsPay was always in the bottom of the pay scale but at least it made the scale. No layoffs.

Cons3 different shifts in one week, nights, weekends. Always negative feedback.
    Low scale of pay, long periods between raises up to 2 1/2 years and low raise amounts. No freedom period.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees, you would due we'll to follow .com company examples.

Get some good experience and then move on quickly.

Senior IT Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe best part of working at Ally is the compensation and benefits packages are above average. Dollar for dollar match on the 401K up to 6% and they even kick in some occasional discretionary dollars if the company is performing well. Their bank office in uptown Charlotte is nice. Strong CEO. You'll work with some great people. Very friendly environment. Bonus plans are nice if you're lucky enough to get one.

ConsAlly is a company that is in a lot of transition right now. Their two biggest goals right now are to take the company public and pay off the remaining debt as part of TARP. With that transition comes a lot of ciaos. Recent significant reduction in force has put even more work on people that already have workloads they can't handle, which has caused even more people to leave. Lots of indecision on direction at the mid - senior management level. Promotions do happen, but they're rare. A lot of hiring from the outside instead of promoting from within. Very dependent on the auto industry and GM. Any slowdown in people buying cars has significant impact on the company's performance.

Their HQ office in Detroit Renaissance Center isn't so nice. While access to the Ally offices is secured, the rest of the building is open to the public. So you get your share of homeless/scary people wandering around in the building. There is some security and police presence, but they're not always around. Good luck getting on-boarded in a timely manner. I've known people that have waited a month to get their PC, accounts and access all set up. Lots of turnover in IT over the past year has created a "blind leading the blind" environment. Once the company goes public this year, expect the senior leadership team to cash in and hit the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back management evaluations for the employees so that you can identify your weakest leaders and get rid of them, and retain your best ones. How does a company of this size and stature operate without giving their employees a chance to provide feedback on their management?

Worked for Ally Financial? Contribute to the Community!