Ally Financial

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Ally Financial CEO and Director Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter

Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, becoming more difficult to work there as the company moves towards IPO

Executive Director, Information Technology Group (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell paying company with strong benefits and auto purchase opportunities. Still moving fast and trying to redefine itself to become a strong bank. #1 online bank and largest auto financier.

ConsSome senior management are not strong leaders and are not able to keep their teams aligned to the company strategy. IT Infrastructure is especially challenged with poor leadership.

Some good and some bad

Detroit, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, good people, overall not a bad place to work. There are pockets of knowledge, and people are willing to share and help.

ConsBureaucracy stalls the progress, it takes unreasonably long time to push things through the system to get them done. By the time they are done they may be obsolete or not needed, or requirements may have been changed. There are clear signs of lack of vision, and shifting directions on management side.

I had a great time at Ally, received the support I needed to achieve my goals

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGrowing company, challenging and fast paced for dynamic individuals

ConsFast paced environment, too many changes too fast

Friendly place to work

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLeadership
Work environment
Study program for Actuaries
Time-off policy
Voluntary opportunities

ConsLow pay compared to other companies
Low retention of employees

Great people. Great job

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Ally Financial full-time

ProsPeople were great, including management

ConsMy pay was horrible. Also work-life balance for many was unheard of

Positive experience

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with and you obtain a lot of experience.

ConsRemember to keep a work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to send a thank you note to employees.

Great Benefits. Challenging Work.

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAlly offers the best benefits to their employees. You have the option to choose from several really good Blue Cross PPO plans and the most competitive 401K program in the market. The work is challenging, high energy but never boring. It's up to you to seize the opportunities available whether it's in internal promotion, joining a work stream, volunteering in many of the events sponsored by the company or leading a project. The compensation is also very competitive with the market. The people I work with are one of the reasons I love working at Ally.

ConsIf you are a 9 to 5 kind of person, this is not the place for you. You are given the discretion to manage your own work, but that might mean working through lunch, staying late to meet a deadline. They do allow the flexibility to work from home as needed, but honestly for me it has allowed me to be even more productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuing to recognize employees for their contributions at all levels and sharing with the rest of the company. There are some real rock stars working at Ally, but sometimes you don't hear about them.

Great opportunities and great people!

Executive Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAlly provides a lot of opportunities for those that like to work hard and strive for excellence. Lots of emphasis on cultivating a positive culture especially within the Servicing arm. Ally Servicing has a lot of innovative programs and varied learning opportunities. Pay-for-performance environment with good benefits, including an exceptional 401k program.

ConsWork/life balance is challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue efforts to complete repayment of TARP and communicate what our future direction will be. Spend more time in the field offices.

Over bearing bosses, micro managed, always negative.

Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee)
Southfield, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay was always in the bottom of the pay scale but at least it made the scale. No layoffs.

Cons3 different shifts in one week, nights, weekends. Always negative feedback.
Low scale of pay, long periods between raises up to 2 1/2 years and low raise amounts. No freedom period.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees, you would due we'll to follow .com company examples.

Get some good experience and then move on quickly.

Senior IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best part of working at Ally is the compensation and benefits packages are above average. Dollar for dollar match on the 401K up to 6% and they even kick in some occasional discretionary dollars if the company is performing well. Their bank office in uptown Charlotte is nice. Strong CEO. You'll work with some great people. Very friendly environment. Bonus plans are nice if you're lucky enough to get one.

ConsAlly is a company that is in a lot of transition right now. Their two biggest goals right now are to take the company public and pay off the remaining debt as part of TARP. With that transition comes a lot of ciaos. Recent significant reduction in force has put even more work on people that already have workloads they can't handle, which has caused even more people to leave. Lots of indecision on direction at the mid - senior management level. Promotions do happen, but they're rare. A lot of hiring from the outside instead of promoting from within. Very dependent on the auto industry and GM. Any slowdown in people buying cars has significant impact on the company's performance.

Their HQ office in Detroit Renaissance Center isn't so nice. While access to the Ally offices is secured, the rest of the building is open to the public. So you get your share of homeless/scary people wandering around in the building. There is some security and police presence, but they're not always around. Good luck getting on-boarded in a timely manner. I've known people that have waited a month to get their PC, accounts and access all set up. Lots of turnover in IT over the past year has created a "blind leading the blind" environment. Once the company goes public this year, expect the senior leadership team to cash in and hit the road.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back management evaluations for the employees so that you can identify your weakest leaders and get rid of them, and retain your best ones. How does a company of this size and stature operate without giving their employees a chance to provide feedback on their management?

Worked for Ally Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Ally Financial Videos

Ally Financial – Why Work for Us?

We are Ally Financial A leading auto services company powered by a top direct bank with a unique customer approach. Our history began in 1919. Our job then, was the same as it is today: to fuel the auto industry with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ally Financial reviews and ratings in Detroit, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ally Financial CEO Michael A. (Mike) Carpenter. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Ally Financial employees.