Almost Family

Almost Family Chairman, President, and CEO William B. Yarmuth

William B. Yarmuth

Unfair

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThere is Good flexibility, ability to arrange your own schedule makes it good for busy families.
    Fair amount of paperwork that is not too overwhelming.
    Great, caring field staff

ConsThe upper management is very detached with the employees, Not enough communication between staff, field, office, and management. Very disorganized office....makes daily work frustrating, wasting alot of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take time to get to know your employees. Just a few kind gestures go a long way in boosting morale. Get rid of poor managers and hire some that really know how to run an efficient office.

Be Careful!

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsCompany offers very good services. Clinicians are well-trained. Training at headquarters is good. Good industry to get experience in due to aging population.

ConsNo room for advancement; terrible health benefits; poor management; terrible mileage reimbursement; non-competitive salary; very poor bonus structure. Lack of tools available to Account Executives that are standard in industry-- expense account; decent auto reimbursement, computer reports to track sales. You work very hard for very little reimbursement; bonus is awful!

Advice to Senior ManagementSales reps should report to someone with sales esperience. You will lose more money due to high turn-over of unhappy reps.

DPS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of work, straightforward policy and procedure, family atmosphere in most local offices but not at corporate level. Tells you what they think you want to hear.

ConsAFam buys smaller HHAs to dismantle and discredit. After that is done they came in and clean management out. Incredible lack of caring to the person. Then they try to prevent you from seeing your friends that work there and tell them not to talk to you. Amazing loyalty (not) to the employee. Money is their greatest concern not for the employee...ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach...do unto others as you would have them do into you.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here...ever!

Employee (Current Employee)

ProsThere are no pros to this job other than it is a job.

ConsThis company does not give a crap about its patients or its employees. They ask you to skip seeing patients so you can admit new patients to service. Management is unprofessional and talks about each employee to other employees. All staff members are completely overworked, undertrained, and are not encouraged or appreciated. Expectations are impossible, and this company will do everything possible to save a buck and get a big census.

I forgot one pro: it is a job, and you will never have trouble finding work. You just will never get paid overtime or be shown even basic human courtesy for working yourself into an early grave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff appropriately, and show some appreciation for the staff you have. If you really care about them and your patients like you say you do, this should be your number one and two priorities.

AVOID ALMOST FAMILY AS AN EMPLOYER

Clinical Manager (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsThere are no PROS with this company. The turnover is horrendous. 26 employees resigned on one day. No training, medical benefits are awful @ $195.00 per week out of your paycheck, the directors are micromanaged by the out of state regional staff who are absolutely clueless. The workload/paperwork is antiquated (no computers or EMR) for field staff. Most staff are either fired or quit within one year of employment. They are verbally abusive to employees.

ConsBeing that the workload is impossible and the paperwork is endless but mandatory to complete you must work overtime to get it done, however, they do not pay you overtime even if your time sheet states your are there over 50 to 65 hours. There are no raises, bonuses, or even a Thank you. The clinical staff is stretched to the max, almost to a dangerous factor where something bad is going to happen, yet it is overlooked because they want the max for the minimum and cannot keep staff employed due to the negative work environment, or they terminate you if you try to make suggestions as to how they can make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to TRY to do the job they expect the employees should do, with the earnings the employees receive! They will then realize it is impossible. They need to look in the mirror and admit to themselves that NO it is NOT NORMAL for an employer to have such a horrendous staff turnover. Employees lasting 6 months to a year means a WAKE UP CALL is needed to stop letting your company title of REGIONAL DIRECTOR, or DIRECTOR, or MANAGEMENT means that you know what you are doing, because guess what, you don't. Be honest with yourself. Say it's not working. Be big enough to look at yourself in the mirror and admit that the name tag you put on when you start your work day is worth nothing but the piece of plastic it is, yet you let that little piece of plastic go straight to your ego, and that perhaps you and your skill set are the reason your company is such a mess. By the way, stop the nonsense of how much money the company is losing, as being why they pay so poorly, when in fact they purchase hundreds of other like businesses at a time. Face yourself in that mirror, look at your eyes in that reflection, and admit YOU have failed, and deflate your huge EGO.....if you don't do it...KARMA will.

Almost Crazy!

ProsWeekly Pay (But not always Correct). Worked with a team dedicated to do more with less.

ConsI have never worked for a company that has no (ZERO) Work Culture! If you like to watch a senior leadership team constantly play Wack-A-Mole (Employee) then this is the place for you. HR has no teeth to enforce a positive work culture. One VP canceled approved vacation time during the christmas holiday season without notice for no apparent reason. No annual raise, No annual evaluations, and an awful benefits and compensation package. WARNING! DO NOT SEEK EMPLOYMENT @ ALMOST FAMILY. It is absolutely the armpit of Home Healthcare Employment!

Advice to Senior ManagementHeads Up Guys! You are going to continue to lose talent to other companies that are vested in their employees. When you realize that Human Capital is a resource to be valued and not abused, you will slowly climb out of the corporate hole that you have dug yourself into. Like My Daddy always Told Me, "When you're in a hole...... STOP Digging."

RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS COMPANY

AE Account Executive (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsClinical Staff were well trained.

ConsSales/Marketing staff are treated poorly, threatened, and verbally abused by management staff. Upper management and human resources turn a blind eye to the behavior. Pay is about 12,000 under market standards. The referral process is based on a gimmick/marketing ploy of Senior Advocacy to gain straight Medicare referrals. Most locations do not take any other managed care plans at all. What about this says "Senior Advocacy"? Turnover is high among lower staff as well as upper management. No real chance at bonus, because the structure is ridiculously unachievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new focus on seniors, a true passion to help all seniors even those with a managed care plans. Be more supportive of your staff that are in the trenches, while you sit in your ivory tower!

Steer Clear of this employer if you want to keep your sanity

Clinical Manager (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsWeekly paychecks are good as long as they are correct.

ConsNo training, poor Management, expectation to know what the rules are but won't tell you the rules, Management rude and has a huge ego.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. CEO, you should make it mandatory that all staff get trained properly before you give them grief for not knowing what to do. I worked there 1 year and got training 2 days before I left. Does this mean that the upper management realized what mistake they made? Training is everything. Look at the reviews from a few years ago. Same problems and complaints. Nothing will ever change.

The worst company you will ever work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsSome good co-workers trying to make a living. Pays the bills.

ConsNothing is good about this company. The turnover is ridiculous. The Account Executives are treated like crap and let go left and right. They fire and cancel health insurance while employees are in the hospital. If you take this job, you will be miserable within 6 months and it will go down hill from there. For a Health Care company, they are heartless. No, I have not been fired and yes, I am still employed here but like everyone else, I am clawing my way to get out of here. I don't ever write negative things like this, but you could never imaging the crap that goes on with this company. Interviewing?? Run away as fast as you can!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees. Stop working for purely the shareholders. Set achievable goals and PAY THEM, REWARD THEM! Get rid of everyone in Kentucky that has anything to do with corporate decision making.

Executive Leaders Should Reassess for Liability Factors in NEO.

Home Health Aid (Former Employee) Ashland, OH

Pros1. Weekly pay even if it was incorrect every time. Most office employee's were impersonal and standoffish.

ConsThis company had lost internal documents related to my hours and my wages, I was never compensated correctly even after I provided my own paperwork. After which they did not give me the correct amount owned for my services and this continued for many more weeks. They gave me some training, but it was inadequate at best. I was rushed into paying thirty dollars for CPR training that only lasted ten minutes. The Registered Nurse (RN) that was performing the test had already signed and completed my test for me before I even arrived. Executive management at the local branch was well aware of this practice and watched the entire process. I felt cheated honestly, because I would of been grateful for some more up to date information in this ever changing field or perhaps some refined techniques at the very least. I was written up multiple times unfairly, write ups and verbal warnings about events that did not even occur on my shift. No investigation by the company is ever really performed into any of the allegations it seems, they tend to have knee jerk reaction as a solution to everything, basically they over react very easily; and most of the time it is at the incorrect person for the incorrect reasons. If you decide to work for this branch watch your back an paychecks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHello, Kentucky Head Quarters
         I would highly recommend that you begin to reassess your local level management in the North East Ohio branch. There are a few bad apples that could use some reevaluation at one of your offices due to poor work ethics and documentation processes. They are a liability to you and your clients. Local management should work towards their own diligence concerning client care plans, complaints and discrepancies. They were very vague about their reasoning of my termination as well. I feel it extends from the local managements inability to correctly communicate with their own employee's. I also would like to just add for the record that I have many letters from clients for recommendations and credentials along with many years of experience in the field.

Worked for Almost Family? Contribute to the Community!