Almost Family

Updated September 14, 2014
2.1

Almost Family Chairman, President, and CEO William B. Yarmuth
William B. Yarmuth

Enjoyable...have worked here for over 5 years. I guess happiness varies by location.

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Almost Family as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, pleasant staff, good pay. I have been a therapist for over 20 years. We take good care of our patients and I can't tell you how many courtesy visits I have done and gotten paid for while the company did not....because a patient needed something.

Cons

Medicare is the challenge for me, not almost family. The requirements become more strict so the paperwork is more. I am prn so I do hear the benefits are expensive...but my husband's insurance almost doubled again this year as well and that doesn't have to do with his employer...that's new healthcare. It is a large company and decisions are made by those higher up...not always easy.

Worst job experience ever!

Current Employee - Overworked  in  Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Overworked in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are really no pros to working for this company unless you are looking to work like a slave six days a week.

Cons

The company has no values, the employees are not valued and the patients are definitely not valued. There is no consistency in the workplace and everyone is their own boss. As for personal growth, there is NONE.

The company needs real people who care about the actual patients. All management is worried about is how many patients are coming on service and how much money they can get from the case. NO such thing as Patient Care.

very disorganized structure

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

Pros

some really good clinicians to work with, peers help each other

Cons

salary adjustments don't happen, requesting time off nearly impossible even though at hiring there is talk of how important work/life balance is important. The norm is working 50+ hours per week, all on paper, no corporate oversight in evidence.

Pay your salaried people their base pay, please do not ask your staff to take personal time to make up a weeks pay when low census is not the fault of the employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Roller Coaster

Current Employee - DPS  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - DPS in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Processes and policies are in place to guide you and make your agency successful on a corporate level.

Cons

Benefits are expensive, cannot afford to put whole family on plan. Perks are available but delayed regularily and when obtained seem to be accompanied by internal audits so that is no longer the case. Little to no support from mid level regional managers, tools are not provided to grow business as expected at the local level

If turnover rate for DPS's is so high and a focus then look at what support you are giving them at the local level. Do they have the AE/PCL that they need to be able to grow the business?

DPS

I worked at Almost Family full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of work, straightforward policy and procedure, family atmosphere in most local offices but not at corporate level. Tells you what they think you want to hear.

Cons

AFam buys smaller HHAs to dismantle and discredit. After that is done they came in and clean management out. Incredible lack of caring to the person. Then they try to prevent you from seeing your friends that work there and tell them not to talk to you. Amazing loyalty (not) to the employee. Money is their greatest concern not for the employee...ever.

Practice what you preach...do unto others as you would have them do into you.

Account Executive

I worked at Almost Family

Pros

This is as close as it gets to employers knocking on your door. If a job ad is being distributed by e-mail, the employer is reaching out. These could be sent to, and come to you through, Career Services, your academic department, advisors, clubs, you name it.

Cons

None, really. It's just a form of information and communication coming to you. Even if a particular job/career fields is not of interest, use it to learn about what is out there.

Don't work here...ever!

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

There are no pros to this job other than it is a job.

Cons

This company does not give a crap about its patients or its employees. They ask you to skip seeing patients so you can admit new patients to service. Management is unprofessional and talks about each employee to other employees. All staff members are completely overworked, undertrained, and are not encouraged or appreciated. Expectations are impossible, and this company will do everything possible to save a buck and get a big census.

I forgot one pro: it is a job, and you will never have trouble finding work. You just will never get paid overtime or be shown even basic human courtesy for working yourself into an early grave.

Staff appropriately, and show some appreciation for the staff you have. If you really care about them and your patients like you say you do, this should be your number one and two priorities.

Consistently pushed to accomplish a lot with little resources

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was a bit more than other home health companies in the area.
    Consistent work schedule within the office sector.
    Paid sick, holiday, vacation.

Cons

Raises were not done company wide last year, regardless of year review or merit.
    Understaffed, and if a position was vacant, you were expected to do your own job and the vacant one, with no extra compensation or recognition.

Remain honest, and open.

Hetic

Former Employee - Home Health Aid  in  Madisonville, KY
    Former Employee - Home Health Aid in Madisonville, KY

I worked at Almost Family part-time for more than a year

Pros

You set your own schedule.

Cons

The company will change your schedule and not tell you. If they don't get paper work by the time they decide to close payroll then you do not get paid for the full amount of time you put in on that week but it will be on the next check. The office manager is also very disorganized.

You need to get your stuff together. It is very concerning when people count on their job to pay them for the work that they did that week and be shorted on their check.

Cold, impersonal

Former Employee - Payroll
    Former Employee - Payroll

I worked at Almost Family full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of work, friendly work environment.

Cons

Was never informed in interview process that there is no advancement or raises in the office staff position unless you are a RN. Discouraging when you realize mgmnt gets paid hefty bonuses and you sit behind mounds of paperwork that get dumped on you due to the high turnover.

Clerical tasks are daunting in this industry. Incentivize. You are looking for talent that will go above and beyond when that type of individual will always figure out in a short period of time that the job can be replaced with a career.

Worked for Almost Family? Contribute to the Community!