Almost Family

Add Photos

Almost Family Chairman, President, and CEO William B. Yarmuth

William B. Yarmuth

AVOID ALMOST FAMILY AS AN EMPLOYER

Clinical Manager (Current Employee)
New Haven, CT

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are no PROS with this company. The turnover is horrendous. 26 employees resigned on one day. No training, medical benefits are awful @ $195.00 per week out of your paycheck, the directors are micromanaged by the out of state regional staff who are absolutely clueless. The workload/paperwork is antiquated (no computers or EMR) for field staff. Most staff are either fired or quit within one year of employment. They are verbally abusive to employees.

ConsBeing that the workload is impossible and the paperwork is endless but mandatory to complete you must work overtime to get it done, however, they do not pay you overtime even if your time sheet states your are there over 50 to 65 hours. There are no raises, bonuses, or even a Thank you. The clinical staff is stretched to the max, almost to a dangerous factor where something bad is going to happen, yet it is overlooked because they want the max for the minimum and cannot keep staff employed due to the negative work environment, or they terminate you if you try to make suggestions as to how they can make things better.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to TRY to do the job they expect the employees should do, with the earnings the employees receive! They will then realize it is impossible. They need to look in the mirror and admit to themselves that NO it is NOT NORMAL for an employer to have such a horrendous staff turnover. Employees lasting 6 months to a year means a WAKE UP CALL is needed to stop letting your company title of REGIONAL DIRECTOR, or DIRECTOR, or MANAGEMENT means that you know what you are doing, because guess what, you don't. Be honest with yourself. Say it's not working. Be big enough to look at yourself in the mirror and admit that the name tag you put on when you start your work day is worth nothing but the piece of plastic it is, yet you let that little piece of plastic go straight to your ego, and that perhaps you and your skill set are the reason your company is such a mess. By the way, stop the nonsense of how much money the company is losing, as being why they pay so poorly, when in fact they purchase hundreds of other like businesses at a time. Face yourself in that mirror, look at your eyes in that reflection, and admit YOU have failed, and deflate your huge EGO.....if you don't do it...KARMA will.

Almost Crazy!

I have been working at Almost Family

ProsWeekly Pay (But not always Correct). Worked with a team dedicated to do more with less.

ConsI have never worked for a company that has no (ZERO) Work Culture! If you like to watch a senior leadership team constantly play Wack-A-Mole (Employee) then this is the place for you. HR has no teeth to enforce a positive work culture. One VP canceled approved vacation time during the christmas holiday season without notice for no apparent reason. No annual raise, No annual evaluations, and an awful benefits and compensation package. WARNING! DO NOT SEEK EMPLOYMENT @ ALMOST FAMILY. It is absolutely the armpit of Home Healthcare Employment!

Advice to Senior ManagementHeads Up Guys! You are going to continue to lose talent to other companies that are vested in their employees. When you realize that Human Capital is a resource to be valued and not abused, you will slowly climb out of the corporate hole that you have dug yourself into. Like My Daddy always Told Me, "When you're in a hole...... STOP Digging."

RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS COMPANY

AE Account Executive (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

ProsClinical Staff were well trained.

ConsSales/Marketing staff are treated poorly, threatened, and verbally abused by management staff. Upper management and human resources turn a blind eye to the behavior. Pay is about 12,000 under market standards. The referral process is based on a gimmick/marketing ploy of Senior Advocacy to gain straight Medicare referrals. Most locations do not take any other managed care plans at all. What about this says "Senior Advocacy"? Turnover is high among lower staff as well as upper management. No real chance at bonus, because the structure is ridiculously unachievable.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new focus on seniors, a true passion to help all seniors even those with a managed care plans. Be more supportive of your staff that are in the trenches, while you sit in your ivory tower!

Steer Clear of this employer if you want to keep your sanity

Clinical Manager (Current Employee)
Akron, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

ProsWeekly paychecks are good as long as they are correct.

ConsNo training, poor Management, expectation to know what the rules are but won't tell you the rules, Management rude and has a huge ego.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. CEO, you should make it mandatory that all staff get trained properly before you give them grief for not knowing what to do. I worked there 1 year and got training 2 days before I left. Does this mean that the upper management realized what mistake they made? Training is everything. Look at the reviews from a few years ago. Same problems and complaints. Nothing will ever change.

The worst company you will ever work for!

Orlando, FL

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good co-workers trying to make a living. Pays the bills.

ConsNothing is good about this company. The turnover is ridiculous. The Account Executives are treated like crap and let go left and right. They fire and cancel health insurance while employees are in the hospital. If you take this job, you will be miserable within 6 months and it will go down hill from there. For a Health Care company, they are heartless. No, I have not been fired and yes, I am still employed here but like everyone else, I am clawing my way to get out of here. I don't ever write negative things like this, but you could never imaging the crap that goes on with this company. Interviewing?? Run away as fast as you can!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees. Stop working for purely the shareholders. Set achievable goals and PAY THEM, REWARD THEM! Get rid of everyone in Kentucky that has anything to do with corporate decision making.

Executive Leaders Should Reassess for Liability Factors in NEO.

Home Health Aid (Former Employee)
Ashland, OH

I worked at Almost Family part-time for less than a year

Pros1. Weekly pay even if it was incorrect every time. Most office employee's were impersonal and standoffish.

ConsThis company had lost internal documents related to my hours and my wages, I was never compensated correctly even after I provided my own paperwork. After which they did not give me the correct amount owned for my services and this continued for many more weeks. They gave me some training, but it was inadequate at best. I was rushed into paying thirty dollars for CPR training that only lasted ten minutes. The Registered Nurse (RN) that was performing the test had already signed and completed my test for me before I even arrived. Executive management at the local branch was well aware of this practice and watched the entire process. I felt cheated honestly, because I would of been grateful for some more up to date information in this ever changing field or perhaps some refined techniques at the very least. I was written up multiple times unfairly, write ups and verbal warnings about events that did not even occur on my shift. No investigation by the company is ever really performed into any of the allegations it seems, they tend to have knee jerk reaction as a solution to everything, basically they over react very easily; and most of the time it is at the incorrect person for the incorrect reasons. If you decide to work for this branch watch your back an paychecks.

Advice to Senior ManagementHello, Kentucky Head Quarters
     I would highly recommend that you begin to reassess your local level management in the North East Ohio branch. There are a few bad apples that could use some reevaluation at one of your offices due to poor work ethics and documentation processes. They are a liability to you and your clients. Local management should work towards their own diligence concerning client care plans, complaints and discrepancies. They were very vague about their reasoning of my termination as well. I feel it extends from the local managements inability to correctly communicate with their own employee's. I also would like to just add for the record that I have many letters from clients for recommendations and credentials along with many years of experience in the field.

Stressful & Unrewarding

I have been working at Almost Family as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsWorked with some extremely talented and skilled clinicians who were very dedicated to their patients and their jobs. They loved their jobs & profession and we worked great as a team.

ConsVery disorganized.
Non updated on technology and equipment.
SUpplies and equipment unavailable for patient care
No follow up of problems and issues.
No employee support system
Unfair employee practice
Poor work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructuring of management
Improvement & organization of systems
Improvement of computer systems & update technology
Establish a employee support system

Unethical, deceitful, cut throat, embarrassment to Home Health

Client Relations (Former Employee)
Sarasota, FL

I worked at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

ProsThey are always hiring, including for your position.

ConsThis company is out for the top management only. As an employee you are there to feed the insatiable appetite for corporate greed. They do not care about you or what you have to offer the company and most importantly your patients. Stay clear, do not waste your time believing the sales pitch. The will fire you and hire the next poor soul to bleed them dry of all there resources and talents and them kick them to the curb. This company is not good for the employee, your
local community, or health care in general. Stay away, you can do much better, anywhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement knows exactly what they are doing. This corporate climate will never change as long as they are turning a profit.

Avoid this employer at all costs

Clinical Manager (Former Employee)
Swansea, IL

I worked at Almost Family full-time for more than a year

ProsWeekly paycheck when it is correct

ConsInexperienced Local Clinical Managers, Directors and Executive Director who are unfamilar with Medicare Regulations
HR is virtually non existent and does not support staff
Executive Director will terminate anyone that dares to challenge their ideas or that they dislike.
Leadership team has no conscience and poor business ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementWakeup and clean house. Most of your Executive Directors do not have a clue how to professionally or ethically run a home health agency

Not a company to build your career with

I have been working at Almost Family full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees are friendly for the most part.

Cons**No raises in 3 years for most employees, despite the fact that the company has made profits.
**Don't keep promises to employees.
**Upper management (VPs) show very little concern for employees.
**Vacations are "unofficially" frowned upon.
**Little room for advancement.

Advice to Senior Management**stop micromanaging
**get some training for your managers so they can at least attempt to manage well.
**Regular raises would go a long way toward helping morale and retention rates.

Worked for Almost Family? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Almost Family reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Almost Family CEO William B. Yarmuth. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Almost Family employees.