Almost Family

Updated December 10, 2014
2.0

Almost Family Chairman and CEO William B. Yarmuth
William B. Yarmuth

Overall enjoyed my time at the company

Former Employee - Sales Rem
    Former Employee - Sales Rem

I worked at Almost Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was great and the support staff I had made my job enjoyable. If you are out there promising things to customers that you cant deliver on you wont make it. Fortunately for me I had a team behind me who could

Cons

over the years, there was change in management. management should sometimes stick to whats working.

make your sales meetings informational, helpful and fun...they really started declining over the years and made us feel underappreciated, and bored.

Regular Home making agency.

Former Employee - Home Health Aid in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Home Health Aid in New Haven, CT

I worked at Almost Family part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office staff seems to care enough about clients being taken care of.

Cons

Employees almost never get up to full time hours, no such thing as reviews, raises, etc. Travel time is only counted as payable if you travel for half an hour or less, so if you travel for 35-45 minutes in-between clients, you won't get paid for it. Overall, this is not a position for someone trying to maintain a household - you just can't live off of 20 hours a week at $8 an hour.

A Roller Coaster

Current Employee - DPS in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - DPS in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Processes and policies are in place to guide you and make your agency successful on a corporate level.

Cons

Benefits are expensive, cannot afford to put whole family on plan. Perks are available but delayed regularily and when obtained seem to be accompanied by internal audits so that is no longer the case. Little to no support from mid level regional managers, tools are not provided to grow business as expected at the local level

If turnover rate for DPS's is so high and a focus then look at what support you are giving them at the local level. Do they have the AE/PCL that they need to be able to grow the business?

Hetic

Former Employee - Home Health Aid in Madisonville, KY
    Former Employee - Home Health Aid in Madisonville, KY

I worked at Almost Family part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You set your own schedule.

Cons

The company will change your schedule and not tell you. If they don't get paper work by the time they decide to close payroll then you do not get paid for the full amount of time you put in on that week but it will be on the next check. The office manager is also very disorganized.

You need to get your stuff together. It is very concerning when people count on their job to pay them for the work that they did that week and be shorted on their check.

Mixed bag

Current Employee - RN Field Nurse in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - RN Field Nurse in Newton, MA

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Rewarding work. Flexible schedule.

Cons

No computers for clinical staff. Paperwork can get to you after a while. High turnover. Poor benefits package. High volatility in patient referrals.

Upgrade to computers.

homecare / homemake

Current Employee - Homemake in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Homemake in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Almost Family part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is always job, all year.
    No need: to speak fluent English, no experience required.

Cons

About $ 9 / hr

A little more pay would be great, wonderful!

Pretty good, probably won't stay over a few years though

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

love their Senior Advocacy mission, good sales training, they will do free care for some patients, the CEO is great and really seems to care about the employees

Cons

the benefits and salary aren't competitive with other companies in the area (specifically clinical staff), no retirement plan, they only match a micro amount to your contribution after you've been there a year, they micromanage alot

Trust your leaders under you and ease up on the micromanagement, look at combining your sick and vacation and personal time into one bank (some people never call in sick).

RN

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

large company. nice coworkers. don't really have much else in terms of pros. i guess having a job is a pro. free parking in my area.

Cons

high turnover. unreliable referral sources. bottom of the barrel patients. no computers for clinicians. mediocre pay. poor benefits. no leadership.

not enough hours available...just prn

I have been working at Almost Family part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you are able to pick and choose which patients and families you work for. every one is very friendly amd most are helpful

Cons

always have to pay close attention that you are being paid the correct wage they always have issues with payroll. after losing a full time 40 hr week case due to pt getting better, not very concerned with more hrs

Almost Family Response

Dec 16, 2014Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee hours or cases with PRN employees. We offer part time and full time employment for many positions to qualified candidates, and we ... More

very disorganized structure

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than an year)

Pros

some really good clinicians to work with, peers help each other

Cons

salary adjustments don't happen, requesting time off nearly impossible even though at hiring there is talk of how important work/life balance is important. The norm is working 50+ hours per week, all on paper, no corporate oversight in evidence.

Pay your salaried people their base pay, please do not ask your staff to take personal time to make up a weeks pay when low census is not the fault of the employees.