Almost Family Reviews

Updated February 22, 2015
55 reviews filtered by

Almost Crazy!

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

Weekly Pay (But not always Correct). Worked with a team dedicated to do more with less.

Cons

I have never worked for a company that has no (ZERO) Work Culture! If you like to watch a senior leadership team constantly play Wack-A-Mole (Employee) then this is the place for you. HR has no teeth to enforce a positive work culture. One VP canceled approved vacation time during the christmas holiday season without notice for no apparent reason. No annual raise, No annual evaluations, and an awful benefits and compensation package. WARNING! DO NOT SEEK EMPLOYMENT @ ALMOST FAMILY. It is absolutely the armpit of Home Healthcare Employment!

Heads Up Guys! You are going to continue to lose talent to other companies that are vested in their employees. When you realize that Human Capital is a resource to be valued and not abused, you will slowly climb out of the corporate hole that you have dug yourself into. Like My Daddy always Told Me, "When you're in a hole...... STOP Digging."

RUN DONT WALK FROM THIS COMPANY

Current Employee - AE Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - AE Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clinical Staff were well trained.

Cons

Sales/Marketing staff are treated poorly, threatened, and verbally abused by management staff. Upper management and human resources turn a blind eye to the behavior. Pay is about 12,000 under market standards. The referral process is based on a gimmick/marketing ploy of Senior Advocacy to gain straight Medicare referrals. Most locations do not take any other managed care plans at all. What about this says "Senior Advocacy"? Turnover is high among lower staff as well as upper management. No real chance at bonus, because the structure is ridiculously unachievable.

A new focus on seniors, a true passion to help all seniors even those with a managed care plans. Be more supportive of your staff that are in the trenches, while you sit in your ivory tower!

Steer Clear of this employer if you want to keep your sanity

Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekly paychecks are good as long as they are correct.

Cons

No training, poor Management, expectation to know what the rules are but won't tell you the rules, Management rude and has a huge ego.

Mr. CEO, you should make it mandatory that all staff get trained properly before you give them grief for not knowing what to do. I worked there 1 year and got training 2 days before I left. Does this mean that the upper management realized what mistake they made? Training is everything. Look at the reviews from a few years ago. Same problems and complaints. Nothing will ever change.

The worst company you will ever work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good co-workers trying to make a living. Pays the bills.

Cons

Nothing is good about this company. The turnover is ridiculous. The Account Executives are treated like crap and let go left and right. They fire and cancel health insurance while employees are in the hospital. If you take this job, you will be miserable within 6 months and it will go down hill from there. For a Health Care company, they are heartless. No, I have not been fired and yes, I am still employed here but like everyone else, I am clawing my way to get out of here. I don't ever write negative things like this, but you could never imaging the crap that goes on with this company. Interviewing?? Run away as fast as you can!

Learn how to treat your employees. Stop working for purely the shareholders. Set achievable goals and PAY THEM, REWARD THEM! Get rid of everyone in Kentucky that has anything to do with corporate decision making.

Executive Leaders Should Reassess for Liability Factors in NEO.

Former Employee - Home Health Aid in Ashland, OH
    Former Employee - Home Health Aid in Ashland, OH

I worked at Almost Family part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. Weekly pay even if it was incorrect every time. Most office employee's were impersonal and standoffish.

Cons

This company had lost internal documents related to my hours and my wages, I was never compensated correctly even after I provided my own paperwork. After which they did not give me the correct amount owned for my services and this continued for many more weeks. They gave me some training, but it was inadequate at best. I was rushed into paying thirty dollars for CPR training that only lasted ten minutes. The Registered Nurse (RN) that was performing the test had already signed and completed my test for me before I even arrived. Executive management at the local branch was well aware of this practice and watched the entire process. I felt cheated honestly, because I would of been grateful for some more up to date information in this ever changing field or perhaps some refined techniques at the very least. I was written up multiple times unfairly, write ups and verbal warnings about events that did not even occur on my shift. No investigation by the company is ever really performed into any of the allegations it seems, they tend to have knee jerk reaction as a solution to everything, basically they over react very easily; and most of the time it is at the incorrect person for the incorrect reasons. If you decide to work for this branch watch your back an paychecks.

Hello, Kentucky Head Quarters
         I would highly recommend that you begin to reassess your local level management in the North East Ohio branch. There are a few bad apples that could use some reevaluation at one of your offices due to poor work ethics and documentation processes. They are a liability to you and your clients. Local management should work towards their own diligence concerning client care plans, complaints and discrepancies. They were very vague about their reasoning of my termination as well. I feel it extends from the local managements inability to correctly communicate with their own employee's. I also would like to just add for the record that I have many letters from clients for recommendations and credentials along with many years of experience in the field.

Stressful & Unrewarding

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Almost Family as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some extremely talented and skilled clinicians who were very dedicated to their patients and their jobs. They loved their jobs & profession and we worked great as a team.

Cons

Very disorganized.
    Non updated on technology and equipment.
    SUpplies and equipment unavailable for patient care
    No follow up of problems and issues.
    No employee support system
    Unfair employee practice
    Poor work ethic

Restructuring of management
    Improvement & organization of systems
    Improvement of computer systems & update technology
    Establish a employee support system

Unethical, deceitful, cut throat, embarrassment to Home Health

Former Employee - Client Relations in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Client Relations in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Almost Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are always hiring, including for your position.

Cons

This company is out for the top management only. As an employee you are there to feed the insatiable appetite for corporate greed. They do not care about you or what you have to offer the company and most importantly your patients. Stay clear, do not waste your time believing the sales pitch. The will fire you and hire the next poor soul to bleed them dry of all there resources and talents and them kick them to the curb. This company is not good for the employee, your
    local community, or health care in general. Stay away, you can do much better, anywhere else!

Management knows exactly what they are doing. This corporate climate will never change as long as they are turning a profit.

Avoid this employer at all costs

Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Swansea, IL
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Swansea, IL

I worked at Almost Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck when it is correct

Cons

Inexperienced Local Clinical Managers, Directors and Executive Director who are unfamilar with Medicare Regulations
    HR is virtually non existent and does not support staff
    Executive Director will terminate anyone that dares to challenge their ideas or that they dislike.
    Leadership team has no conscience and poor business ethics

Wakeup and clean house. Most of your Executive Directors do not have a clue how to professionally or ethically run a home health agency

Not a company to build your career with

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are friendly for the most part.

Cons

**No raises in 3 years for most employees, despite the fact that the company has made profits.
    **Don't keep promises to employees.
    **Upper management (VPs) show very little concern for employees.
    **Vacations are "unofficially" frowned upon.
    **Little room for advancement.

**stop micromanaging
    **get some training for your managers so they can at least attempt to manage well.
    **Regular raises would go a long way toward helping morale and retention rates.

I would never recommend Almost Family to a prospective patient or employee

Current Employee - RN Field Nurse
    Current Employee - RN Field Nurse

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

It is a job that pays the bills, not a company to build a career. Use this job as a stepping stone to a better job.

Cons

Clinical Supervisors are not trained or inexperienced. Management is poor, unresponsive to complaints and issues. Poor communication between staff. No support for staff from management. We are Senior Advocates is just a theme, not really practiced.

Focus on patient care, consistency with patient care, treat all employees the same, respond to complaints, as complaints can easily turn very ugly. Hire experienced employees.