Almost Family Reviews

DON'T WORK HERE!

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Almost Family

Pros

Training is decent. Office staff are nice people. Good flexibility with your work schedule and not too much breathing down your neck.

Cons

They don't tell you how it really is to work here. You get little paid time off and any time off is frowned upon or you will loose salary for the week. Salary is not competitive, benefits not too good and is there commission or a bonus? NO! They lie. They don't care about you. You will be fired in less than a year so don't work here!

Advice to Management

Nurses should not be management. Get your butts in the filed so you know how it is. You have no idea how to run a good company. You will only keep account reps who are aging and afraid no one else will hire them due to age discrimination. Stop treating everyone like a #.

Patientcare "We areSenior Advocates, as long as those Senior have Medicare with no Managed Care Attached"

Former Employee - Account Executive in West Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in West Orange, NJ

I worked at Almost Family

Pros

Medicare Certified Home Helath Provider

Cons

Sales Manager has no sales experience
    Helathcare benefits are sub par
    There is a 1k limit on Dental Benefits

Advice to Management

Management opportunities are for RN's only

Corporate Culture/Sales Perspective

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

Senior Advocacy platform makes it easy for referral sources to differentiate the services offered from those competing home health agencies are selling. Great sales training, and support (depending on your director).
    Lots of education on senior care issues is offered to clinicians and the CEU's are free. This is a nice place to practice as a field clinician; you will gain knowlege and experience.

Cons

The Senior Advocacy platform is viewed as marketing gimmick to attract high-paying Medicare clients. The branch employees, in general do not buy into this platform, which counteracts the sales effort in the communities we serve! Once the new sales reps realize this, they are disenchanted and sorry they came to work here. Few reps last more than 18 months.

Also, there is a terrible culture at this company, and it seems to start with top brass.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and show them respect when dealing with them. Sales reps feel as though they are the lowest form of life.

It is common knowlege that poor manners and unprofessional behavior from senior leadership and management at the regional level is tolerated by officers of the company. It does have an effect on performance and results. It really does trickle down. Hire a consultant to address the culture.

Consider paying incentive/bonus on non-Medicare patients.

5. OK

Current Employee - Pcm in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Pcm in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are the best ever

Cons

Dishonesty from management needs to be currected

Advice to Management

Tell the truth outright

Field RN F/T for 6 years.....can be the best job you ever had or your worst nightmare.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Management Field Staff
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Management Field Staff

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexable hours, one on one patient care, wide variety of patient care. Ability to be autonomous. They do truley care about their patient outcome.

Cons

Pay is based per visit, so once your done with the visit, your done getting paid, so all that other work that is required after you leave thay patients house is uncompensated. A few examples: updates to physicians if requested, faxing and phone calls to family, pharmacy, physicians, reporting to co workers, writting verbal orders that are rediculously long (its more of an sbar report), dropping off paper work, office discharges, making schedules, reviewing plan of care for case management, anytime you need to go in the office, picking up supplies, drive time (they pay mileage, covers gas and wear and tear on vehicle only). I often feel as though I'm working off the clock. The pay is good but you are constantly working, I frequently have to work on my paperwork on days off. Upper management is blind to the amount of work that goes into one visit and can be condescending, unappreciative, single-minded & merciless. If you are not able to stand up for yourself then you will get taken advantage of, and stressed out. THE WORST PART IS THE ON CALL..ITS HORRIBLE! Just know that if your job requires you to be on call for the weekends after you work monday through friday, you most likely will be working 12 straight days. If you had a really bad weekend you might get 1/2 day off the next week if you beg. On call pay for the day is very low! Just an FYI watch your paycheck, otherwise you won't get paid what they owe you. I'm always getting paid the next pay period for something they messed up. Last but not least.....your rate I'd your rate, no such thing as over time even if you work 80 hours.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff, take a look at all the extra work we do and pay us for it..increase the per visit rate or decrease the quota. You need to have on call policies that includes that the office nurses take call (why are they better than us field nusres).... an example, if I do call every 4th weekend and rotate with three other nurses that means that I have 4 days off a month. I love what I do and the area I cover and that is why I am still with the company, I just don't know how much longer I can do it.

RN

I have been working at Almost Family

Pros

large company. nice coworkers. don't really have much else in terms of pros. i guess having a job is a pro. free parking in my area.

Cons

high turnover. unreliable referral sources. bottom of the barrel patients. no computers for clinicians. mediocre pay. poor benefits. no leadership.

not enough hours available...just prn

I have been working at Almost Family part-time (more than a year)

Pros

you are able to pick and choose which patients and families you work for. every one is very friendly amd most are helpful

Cons

always have to pay close attention that you are being paid the correct wage they always have issues with payroll. after losing a full time 40 hr week case due to pt getting better, not very concerned with more hrs

Almost Family Response

Dec 16, 2014Director, Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee hours or cases with PRN employees. We offer part time and full time employment for many positions to qualified candidates, and we ... More

very disorganized structure

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than a year)

Pros

some really good clinicians to work with, peers help each other

Cons

salary adjustments don't happen, requesting time off nearly impossible even though at hiring there is talk of how important work/life balance is important. The norm is working 50+ hours per week, all on paper, no corporate oversight in evidence.

Advice to Management

Pay your salaried people their base pay, please do not ask your staff to take personal time to make up a weeks pay when low census is not the fault of the employees.

Consistently pushed to accomplish a lot with little resources

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was a bit more than other home health companies in the area.
    Consistent work schedule within the office sector.
    Paid sick, holiday, vacation.

Cons

Raises were not done company wide last year, regardless of year review or merit.
    Understaffed, and if a position was vacant, you were expected to do your own job and the vacant one, with no extra compensation or recognition.

Advice to Management

Remain honest, and open.

Cold, impersonal

Former Employee - Payroll
    Former Employee - Payroll

I worked at Almost Family full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work, friendly work environment.

Cons

Was never informed in interview process that there is no advancement or raises in the office staff position unless you are a RN. Discouraging when you realize mgmnt gets paid hefty bonuses and you sit behind mounds of paperwork that get dumped on you due to the high turnover.

Advice to Management

Clerical tasks are daunting in this industry. Incentivize. You are looking for talent that will go above and beyond when that type of individual will always figure out in a short period of time that the job can be replaced with a career.