Alnylam

Alnylam CEO and Director John M. Maraganore

John M. Maraganore

Great Summer

Intern (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsPay was great for a summer internship. Plenty of additional perks

ConsI can't say I had enough exposure during my summer to judge the downsides

Good place to work

Consultant Scientist (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsEmployees are treated well. Very well compensated and flexible hours. Never micromanaged!

ConsNothing I can think off!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I wish to join this company again!

Loved the people!

Research Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsI absolutely loved my group! The culture there was awesome!
    My group was like my second family. I will miss them.

ConsWe went through two restructurings with no warning...need I say more?

Advice to Senior ManagementShare with the employees more of what is going on with the big picture.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic fast-paced environment, aggressively prosecuting a novel therapeutic technology

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsStrong scientific rigor, very dynamic environment, compelling new technology, good fiscal management, heavily matrixed organization that demands good team play and collaboration

ConsALNY is aggressively seeking clinical POC for the RNAi therapeutic platform. The intense race toward clinical results often means that research around better understanding the fundamentals of the technology are deprioritized. Target selection also feels rushed and premature at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overlook mechanistic research around targets and delivery systems as this provides a strong foundation for problem solving later in clinical development.

Not the best place I've worked, but not the worst.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation was good and liked my colleagues a great deal. It was a fast paced environment which could be attractive to some. The tuition reimbursement was a definite plus.

ConsThe fast paced environment leads to costly mistakes and stress that are not needed and completely preventable. Publicly traded biotech is unstable and Alnylam is not immune. Supposedly management cut deep during the first layoffs (2010) so they would not have to repeat anytime soon. Then in early 2012, another 33% of the workforce was cut. The vesting schedule on stock options was not helpful. Work/Life balance was becoming questionable when I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down

Politics, Politics, Politics....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat, friendly, and hard working colleagues in R & D, IT, IP, and Facilities.

ConsHowever, the rest of the company (and some of the more senior staff in the above departments) is all about politics and playing "the game." Also, if one has made any mistakes/missteps they hold on to that information and then bring it up in the annual reviews, instead of addressing the issues in a timely fashion and allowing one to learn and grow, or they hold on to the information in order to fire a staff member.

In addition, upper management expects the staff to be in the office/lab as late as they are, not taking into account that some of the staff come in early and some late based on the arrangement they have with their boss (the middle management). Complete lack of work/life balance.

Also, only management (i.e. those who have doors) receive yearly bonuses, no one else! Extremely elitist and hierarchical.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should truly look to see who is doing the actual work, not just spinning it for their approval...

Worked for Alnylam? Contribute to the Community!