Alorica

Updated December 19, 2014
2.1

Alorica CEO Andy Lee
Andy Lee

Pros
  • You have a guaranteed 40 hours full time job with benefits (in 17 reviews)

• You get the customer service or sales experience needed for a career in these areas (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not only that but the pay grade for employees are lower than any other call center in California (in 33 reviews)

• Lack in benefits for upper management and pay was awful for Team Managers (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Best part about working at Alorica is the people you work with.

Current Employee - Team Manager in Durant, OK
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Durant, OK

I have been working at Alorica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is willing to help you learn and grow.

Cons

Currently there are no raises for non-exempt employees on a salary.

Lots of advancement opportunities.

I have been working at Alorica

Pros

Always offering advancement opportunities to qualified agents.

Cons

A lot of turn around due to poor salaries.

Focus on too many little things and do not see the big picture. White glove service is offered to all of it's members and if the issue is resolved, that is the ultimate goal.

Provide excellent customer service

I have been working at Alorica

Pros

Flexibility and the people that you gain to know

Cons

The pay, understandimg the employees

Not bad

I have been working at Alorica

Pros

Great people to work for.

Cons

Pay is on the downside

Communication. Support

Very high turnover rate, with good reason!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Alorica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good, you can earn all kinds of bonuses and incentives. And youre doing customer service for various companies.

Cons

Your schedule changes constantly. And if you miss work, even with a doctors slip, youll get termed. Youre doing customer service for many different companies in a days time.

Have one client per site, or at least limit the que to one company per day for each team. I dont mind different companies, but handling three or four different companies in as many phone calls is extremely difficult.

Alorica will get you a job quickly and provide you with skills that you can use to get a higher paying position.

Former Employee - Work Force Management in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Work Force Management in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Alorica full-time

Pros

Alorica will give you skills that can get you positions at higher paying companies. Stay at Alorica for six months and then shop around and you will definitely be able to get a position in a customer service position that pays 3-7 dollars more an hour starting.
    Don't mind making a bit less for a while? Okay then prepare to get promoted! It is very easy to get promoted at Alorica because of the high turnover rate. Management gets just as frustrated with policies, pay, etc as entry level employees does. Keep your head up and do a good job. Don't call in and work overtime when asked. Have a good attitude and you will get promoted. I moved from taking phone calls to being on Work Force Management within 3 months of being there.

Cons

The pay is not the greatest.
    The benefits are not great either.
    Even upon promotion you won't make much more money.
    Your best bet is to suck it up for a few months/years here and then apply around at other call centers. Seriously - look up Alorica alumni on LinkedIn. They are making way more money at better jobs now.

Honestly there isn't much they can do. I was on management and I know it isn't management's fault that the company is the way it is. The company is built on cutting corners to save a few bucks to make a profit.

has its pros and cons

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Alorica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good starting pay. great customers.

Cons

no professionalism in the work place. organization in the work place was distasteful. favoritism between employees.

Rewarding yet challenging

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Alorica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When your performance meets company standards you can remain under the radar. Shifts go by smoothly, you keep your job and the work environment is relaxed most of the time. When your performance meets company standards you are respected by management and treated with a lot of flexibility and open-mindedness.

Cons

Your work schedule is subject to change without very much notice to meet company needs rather than your own. This is not limited to a few but affect all employees as a whole. Sudden changes usually come in the form of reduced break times or extensions to scheduled work times such as possibly having to work longer shifts when call volumes are higher than usual. Permanent increases to salary do not happen but rather increased pay come in the form of access to unlimited overtime when your stats meet company standards. Otherwise,you can expect to keep the same pay-rate you started with.

Consider diversity training. Do not be afraid to work shoulder to shoulder with people from other ethnic backgrounds. Most upper management are from one ethnic group while lower management are from another. Its archaic and its time to modernize.

Irritating as it gets

Current Employee - Customer Care & Service Agent in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Care & Service Agent in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Alorica

Pros

Higher than min wage, at least.. some kind of insurance plan, 40 hours, good chances of moving up.

Cons

Egos in Operations Managers, no one gives a damn about you, can be fired at any time for any reason, extreme expectations for only 9 when should be paying 11-12, required to offer sells to every call no matter how angry or how much you know they don't want to hear it, constantly pestered from management about what you aren't doing well and need to increase or you'll get termed, they encourage you to lie to make customers feel like they've got an urgent reason to buy our BS... constant irate customers with complex problems to where you don't even know what's going on anymore.... should I go on....

Take out the sales system, customer service is not supposed to sale to people who call in about their issues with their wireless bills. It's simply a nuisance to them and they really don't want to be bothered and time consumed by it. And 5 dollars per sale for employees is a real waste of breath. Expect from us what you pay for... 9 an hour..

be prepared to sink or swim

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Clovis, CA

I worked at Alorica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

unlimited over time
    guaranteed full time schedule

Cons

no part time
    lack of effective training in classroom and on the production floor
    lack of floor support

Going into Alorica, my expectation was that I would be trained to provide professional valuable customer service to consumers. I enjoy helping people. I figured this would be a great way to gain fulfillment and thorough training so I can be competent. It never entered my mind how challenging this position would be and that I would not be able to meet those challenges. Also, I had no idea the unprofessional environment I was throwing myself into. None of these expectations were set during the interview. Then again, I did not think to ask.

I was excited about the five week classroom training. I assumed there would be so much valuable information that would be presented to me. There is an amount of material that needs to be covered, yet the trainer did not seem to cover the material with enthusiasm or aptitude. His demeanor in general was approachable, laid back, down to earth, respectful, and knowledgeable. However, he did not effectively impart that knowledge to the class. The manner in which the modules were presented was that of a formality as opposed to useful tools/information that will make us great representatives. I determined that the trainers did not make the most of the material and show the students how its use will translate to the production floor. The trainers also did not take the time to set the expectation of how hostile callers will be and how you have to think outside the box to problem solve as there are no clear cut solutions for every situation. They have speakers come in and out of the classroom remarking how much opportunity there is, but never telling us about the difficulties, and how to overcome obstacles so we can last long enough to take advantage of those opportunities.

Classroom training included fun games. However, none of the games helped me to use the material we were supposed to be learning in the modules. In using games as a teaching device, I would think that one would make the most of hot seats and various games by timing the games so that the entire class would go through the basic processes of making a plan change, applying credits, changing features, filling out forms such as TOPS and ITTS in order to work on handle time. The person with the best time could show the class how they would precede thus reinforcing the modules and getting class participation so that the training STICKS. Hot seats are great; however there are better ways to make the greatest use of this teaching mechanism. One way could have been for the classroom to act as the hot seater’s floor support. This could assist each individual in problem solving and getting used to resolving concerns. I would think games about positioning bad news would have had been better than playing Taboo. Games that help students relate and connect with customers are also vital. A couple of the trainers did do some activities to help the class connect and go over basic procedures, but not to the extent that would have had a strong impact.

In the final weeks, I would think the training would haven taken on a practical aspect. It would have been great, if we were trained so that each student graduating from the classroom could perform basic procedures with a general flow sequence in at least a ten minute period, of course with support. This way the certificate given at the end of classroom training would mean something. In my opinion, the certificate should have meant that I know how to de-escalate a call, when to transfer, how to negotiate a credit and what four factors to consider, how to position bad news, how to handle basic repetitious calls, how to handle a disconnect, and so forth. Hardly anyone in the graduating class was prepared and equipped to independently handle such calls. The only helpful thing from training was a list of items we should know how to handle on the floor. The trainer did not even go over these tasks with us as a class. Each individual was left to practice and figure out how to handle the items themselves. In the class, it would have been ideal if the list were used along with hot seats so that each student could get an idea of how to handle a live call in a timely fashion. As important as handle time is, I wonder why this was not emphasized during classroom training. I wonder why the class was not TRAINED to provide quality service with a decent handle time.

Once I graduated to nesting, I still did not know about stats. I did not know how transfer rates and credits affected the stats. All I knew was I needed an ERP above 8 for production and resolve of yes for nesting. Teaching stats in the classroom would have set the expectation for the floor and allowed some people to know if they should proceed past graduation or not. For those, who chose to stay it would have been a huge benefit to understand stats and how to achieve them. This would have made nesting that more valuable. Also valuable would have been practicing a sequence of procedures for handling most basic calls. During nesting, I should not have been as clueless as I was about how to resolve basic concerns. I should have been prepared to handle the elementary repeat calls that happen day in and day out. I should have been equipped with the knowledge needed to feel independent and ready to help someone.

Floor support was there in numbers (not always quality) 85-90% of the time, albeit at times ineffective. When the team leads were not talking about personal matters and making me wait to get an answer, they had useful positioning and advice a good amount of the time. It was frustrating though having to walk all over the call center at times to get help with a problem and then finally getting an answer that a quarter of the time did not help resolve the call.

I truly feel Alorica can be a place where someone who is embarking on their first job/ career path or switching careers can come and be trained for great opportunities IF the training was actually available. I believe I could have been a great training assistant and maybe a great trainer someday, but the opportunity is only there for those who catch on fast, are good at positioning, debating, connecting, and are able to acclimate to the floor with the little training that is provided. Others of us actually require proper and effective training for the opportunity to prove real. Hence a person like me who is eager to learn and perform misses out on great opportunities and is left feeling incompetent and like a failure for allowing the stress of a call center to get to me.