Alpaytac, Inc.

Updated September 18, 2014

Huma Gruaz

A place to learn all aspects of the PR and Marketing Business

I have been working at Alpaytac, Inc.

Pros

Working at Alpaytac will give you the best "hands-on" education of the PR and Marketing Business. Employees learns all aspects of the business and the emphasis is on learning how be successful in all areas from writing and research to client and media relations to team building and creative thinking. Whether you are just out of college or a seasoned professional, Alpaytac challenges everyone to learn and grow. I particularly love that the company has a strong internship program that focuses not only on education, but hands-on experience and that many of the junior staff have begun their careers as interns and stayed on and quickly worked their way up the ranks. There are also fun monthly contests where employees are financially rewarded for for their accomplishments.

Cons

Alpaytac has many big clients that require a lot of attention. This can sometimes mean long days to keep up with deliverables. The management tries to keep these days to a minimum and is willing to compensate the hard work with incentives like flex days. Must be a focused worker with a strong desire to be successful in this field to be good fit.

Continue to listen to your employees and implement positive changes to help the company work as efficiently as possible.

Horrible Experience and Horrible Company

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alpaytac, Inc. as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Some of the staff was friendly and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Where should I start. Firstly, clients are like a revolving door. They come and go quickly. Alpaytac makes promised that they cannot deliver. Upper management is awful. They lie to employees and clients. Employees are frowned upon of they decide to take lunch outside of the building. They are also expected to work rigorous hours. I understand that the pr industry is constant however there is no work life balance here. Along with ever moving clients, employees aren't there for much time either. The company hires several interns but rarely keeps any. Please avoid this company. Their pr strategies and techniques are old fashion and outdated. Your better run not walk from this company! Don't let me even get started on te CEO. What a sham!

Fire everyone and start over, with a new name and CEO.

"Family First"

I have been working at Alpaytac, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I came to Alpaytac in 2009 after a 15-year career in a separate industry. With a 6-year-old son at home I was seeking a new professional challenge that offered me the freedom to create my own niche while not compromising time with my family. I found both at Alpaytac. With an emphasis on performance and a strong team-oriented environment, I have found the perfect blend of home and professional life, and nothing could be more fulfilling. With a multitude of clients from various industries, each day offers a new challenge and I have truly enjoyed collaborating with our motivated staff. More than anything, however, I am grateful for the autonomy that has been given to me, which has allowed me to explore my own creative limits.

Cons

Many of our clients don’t prioritize the importance of both television and print media exposure, and have subsequently missed many opportunities that we have secured for them.

Maintain a positive work environment, which boosts worker morale and stimulates productivity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working with great clients from 16 different industries

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Alpaytac, Inc.

Pros

- senior team is open to feedback and always looking for ways to improve the overall employee experience
    - great junior team from different backgrounds
    - clients from 16 different industries, offering a unique experience for every employee
    - interns and management trainees get to learn PR and actually contribute to accounts (invaluable learning opportunities for new grads)

Cons

Continue implementing the feedback received from the team. This not only builds trust, but also creates a more positive work environment.

Continue listening to your employees and being open to any type of feedback.

Great Growth Opportunities; Creative Team

I have been working at Alpaytac, Inc.

Pros

The team is one of the most collaborative and creative I've ever worked with.
    Working at Alpaytac provides the opportunity to work with an amazing array of clients - it's never boring!
    Incredible growth opportunities, and belief in the staff.

Cons

Priority projects and demanding clients can result in some long days, however I've seen this in all of the PR agencies I've worked at.

Continue to invest in experienced and passionate senior management, while mentoring junior staff and allowing them great hands on opportunities.
    Keep offering perks like flex time, consider additional accrued vacation and personal time.

Great opportunity for growth, exciting client work, supportive team atmosphere

I have been working at Alpaytac, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked at Alpaytac for three years and have seen incredible growth in the company and my co-workers are some of the hardest-working passionate people I have ever worked with. We have incredible client loyalty, with many of our clients staying with us for multiple years. The team supports each other, works very collaboratively, and management has an open-door policy which helps the team prosper. The company continues to grow, and if you want an exciting diverse group of clients to work on, this is the place to be. The founder is inspiring and continues grow the business, and the company just reached its 10 year anniversary and is celebrating the launch of our Washington, DC office.

Cons

Some clients are demanding but this is typical in any agency. The supportive management and senior team work together to handle tough situations and come out on top. Again, it's the collaborative team approach which really sets the company apart. No one is left alone to figure it out. The support is incredible.

Keep offering the great perks like flex days, happy hours and placement competitions. It adds a fun atmosphere and keeps the team motivated.

Rewarding, challenging work and opportunity for growth

I have been working at Alpaytac, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced agency provides opportunity to tackle challenging work and projects.
    Creativity is encouraged.
    Strong media relations centric agency that focuses heavily on pitching which is what I was looking for.
    Excellent clients ranging from billion dollar companies to promising small businesses.
    Contrary to other reviews -- we do not lie to clients or cheat them in any way. In fact, we over deliver when it comes to results and work hard to produce for them. We also do not have clients leaving after six months. I brought a client into the agency that is still here, thriving and not going anywhere. It is the same with the other clients I work for. They are happy with our work.

Cons

In the early part of my employment, the main cons were junior staff in key positions on too many accounts and heavy turnover, but that has changed a lot. Hiring more experienced executives has made a huge difference and brought more stability to the agency. Also the junior staff has grown a lot in the past year and we have a talented group that works well together.

continue to employ more experienced executives and encourage the junior staff to grow and work on improving their skills.

Oppressive Work Environment

I worked at Alpaytac, Inc. full-time

Pros

The best thing about Alpaytac is the staff. You will not find more dedicated, hardworking and passionate people. Excluding upper management, the people at Alpaytac understand what it means to be a team. Mainly this is because the only support they have is each other. The environment at Alpaytac is definitely an “us” versus “them” – which is a direct cause and effect of the management style (with management being on one side and the rest of the team, the “worker ants”, on the other). Although this is not conducive to a positive work environment, one of the pros is that the teams learns to rely on each other for support because it is not provided by upper management without first degrading the team member that is need of “support”.

Cons

I have already mentioned the main challenge at Alpaytac, which is upper management. For instance, you will be given a labor intensive task with an extreme deadline. When you meet that deadline you will be ridiculed if there is any little error, and by little error I mean you forgot to place a period at the end of the sentence or you emailed the task to upper management and used their email to forward it to them. However in their initial email they neglected to provide a subject line – because you forwarded them the message their error is now your error and the whole office will have to hear about you completing your assignment without a subject line (conveniently forgotten is that the subject line was not labeled when the task was given to you. We will also forget that you turned in the assignment on time and the actual assignment was error free, but since you didn’t add the subject line the assignment is considered sub par. Now you are up for ridicule and seen as incompetent).

I watched many of my co-workers experience this treatment and it fostered an atmosphere of hopelessness. Your work will “never be good enough”. Unless you are willing to work 60+ hours per week, and then work from home too, you are considered a less than tolerable team member. I was told by upper management that a team member who leaves the office for lunch each day is an undedicated team member. Even if I disliked someone, I would tell them to think twice about putting their career in the hands of a management team who will use your career goals as a “carrot at the end of stick”.

You can’t reason with unreasonable people, so I won’t waste my time by giving “advice to management”. The proof is in the pudding. Alpaytac management can leave all the glowing reviews they’d like (to affect their overall rating), but they can’t change hard evidence. This office has a turnover rate of more than a hundred times the amount of people they retain.

Whether you're a potential employee or new client: RUN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alpaytac, Inc. full-time

Pros

It would be very easy for me to say none, but I will give credit where credit is due.

The staff (under senior management) is extremely talented and hard working. There's truly a team environment and a sense that everyone is in in together.

You can move up the chain quickly if you're working at the company during a time of high turnover (which is always).

There are one or two "cool" clients, and you'll occasionally get to do fun work.

Cons

Where to begin....

- Senior management is absolutely terrible. They have no idea how to manage people and contribute nothing positive to client work.
    - Employees are treated worse than horribly. They are reprimanded for the smallest "error" and are not trusted whatsoever. Senior management is condescending and rude and has no respect for their time.
    - The company does not have an impressive client list - many of their clients are startups that leave very quickly. The constant rotation of clients makes it really hard to build relationships and produce solid results.
    - New business is completely out of line. Potential clients are lied to in terms of what results the team can produce and who will be working on their accounts. Senior management lies (no easy way to say it) about their capabilities and constantly "fluffs" their previous work.
    - The interns.. the poor interns. They are used for cheap labor and are treated just as badly as staff. They rarely hire interns and the decision making process behind the hiring is completely flawed.
    - There is NO work life balance. Let me be clear. I couldn't possibly count how many events I missed or how many plans I was forced to cancel due to "client emergencies" most of which were a direct result of poor time management from the C suite. When working at Alpaytac, you will frequently come in early, stay late, work over the weekends and spend 90% of your free time checking emails fearful of receiving a rude note from, again, senior management.

Trust your employees, do not micromanage so much.

Gain some respect for your team and treat them like human beings instead of work mules.

Be more selective during the recruiting process and don't sign with just any client that knocks on your door.

Don't lie during the new business process and promise things that the team cannot realistically achieve.

Offer better benefits and incentives for employees.

Recruit employees who will actually do work instead of delegate.

Ask your current employees for areas to improve.

Horrible Culture & Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alpaytac, Inc. full-time

Pros

Working at Alpaytac is a huge eye-opener and a learning experience, if only for what not to look for in a company/job. There is a tremendous sense of camaraderie and support among employees because the culture fosters a "in it together" type of attitude.

Cons

The time I spent working at Alpaytac was some of the most stressful of my career. Employees are expected to work long hours and receive little to no benefits for doing so. Senior Management is involved in every project, not for employee growth or strategy deployment, but rather for a lack of trust. New business is a focus, but there are not enough team members to truly deliver on promised results. Tasks are doled out with no regard for employee utilization and absolutely zero support. The absolute worst thing about working there though is the treatment of employees from the C-suite. There is a utter lack of respect and even when honest discourse does take place, senior management blames all problems on the staff rather than taking a serious look at company issues.

Trust and listen to your employees - they are on the ground level and can provide insight on much needed improvements.

Alpaytac, Inc. Photos

Huma Gruaz’s life and work benefit the PR industry and the community

+ Add Photo

Worked for Alpaytac, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!