Alpha Natural Resources
www.alphanr.com Bristol, VA 5000+ Employees

Alpha Natural Resources Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014
Alpha Natural Resources – US – “Underground, Generic”

Alpha Natural Resources CEO and Director Kevin S. Crutchfield

Kevin S. Crutchfield

Great place to work.

ProsGood pay. People are like family. Great atmosphere. I never have a day where I do not look forward to going to work.

ConsSometimes there is infighting between different groups that is not necessary. Too many layers of middle management, might want to consider cutting back.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe straight with employees. Let the employees know what the near and long term goals are.

Great while it lasted

Mine Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Atmosphere
    Great Benefits
    High focus on safety

ConsUnstable
    Everything is based off of market conditions
    Quick to layoff

Disappointed-not doing what they said they would do when they bought it from Massey

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVacation. Good immediate supervisor

ConsThey will not promote within the company unless you are in the "click". Education and qualifications do not matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take a long hard look at your operations-are they being ran by Alpha people....did Alpha truly bring in their management and get rid of the "clicks" from Massey? No! Most of them got promotions. Certain people have "used company equipment or money" for personal use-upper management and they have swept it under the rug. When a person can use company money for false reasons and nothing is done but told to pay back after it is discovered there is a problem.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alpha Natural Resources is a good place to work. The salary is good and it is a good atmosphere.

Senior Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Bristol, VA

ProsThe pay is good, the atmosphere is good, and the people are great to work with.

ConsThe vacation policy could be better. During down times for coal, cuts must be made in benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to the option of working from home a couple days per week.

Surface Mine Blaster

Surface Mine Blaster (Former Employee)
    Madison, WV

ProsGood Benefits, Several Holidays Off with pay and decent amount of vacation time

ConsInstability, long hours and alot of weekend work

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Lying to Employees

Very exiting and stressful

Compliance (Current Employee)

ProsGreat group of people to work with; they are like family. Things are always changing and revolving.

ConsWork is never completed
    Not enough family time
    Job atmospere use to be better

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to say to management; they do the best they can with what the industry and government has to offer.

Fantastic people & great pay in a very unstable industry

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAbsolutely love the people that work in operations & lower management in this company. Hard-working, genuine, helpful, and accommodating. Challenging work for engineers. I have nothing but incredible things to say about everyone with whom I've worked directly. Pay is very good, though hours can be long depending on your job.

ConsUnstable market makes layoffs a frequent occurrence. Most upper-tier of management is more concerned with PR than the actual coal miners in operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the coal miners and "lower-level" employees because you want to and because they are hard workers, not because it looks good on camera to shake their hands.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlpha Management Committee truly does care about their employees. They are proactively taking steps to survive a very difficult industry while maintaining a strong workforce. They are having to make very difficult decisions but do not do so without great care and thought.

ConsSadly my position was recently eliminated because of the state of the industry. Alpha like other coal companies is a victim of the current administration, the EPA and the influx of natural gas. This means there is a tough road ahead (but if anyone can survive, I believe they can).

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, know that your employees appreciate the transparency and know that those who truly care about the organization will always be there. Even when they are no longer employees.

it is pretty awesome to work here

Intern (Current Employee)
    Sidney, KY

Prosfriendly people and good wages

Consinstability in coal market, yeah ,yeah ,yeah

Advice to Senior Managementcan't say anything, the market isnt doing well

It's at least a paycheck in a poor economy

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Bristow, VA

ProsNot many these days. Currently blue-jean Fridays has been extended to encompass the entire work week.

Average salary level.

ConsAt the time of this writing: wage freeze, bonus freeze, promotion freeze on most people, loss of all fringe benefits, freeze on all 401K matching.

Yes the state of the industry is bad but cost-cutting is taking place on a lot of the little things that make your day easier rather than some of the large and unneccesary expenditures. Constant cuts on staffing place ever-increasing workloads on those that remain.

Managers frequently take complete credit for the efforts of those that work under them without giving any mention of their contributions.

Very clique oriented social circles at the office. Managers tend to give more opportunities to thosr in their clique rather than based on experience, skills and qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an intense effort is put into a project, be sure you know who contributed to it and recognize their efforts. Talented folks will only work without recognition for so long.

Worked for Alpha Natural Resources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alpha Natural Resources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alpha Natural Resources CEO Kevin S. Crutchfield. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Alpha Natural Resources employees.