AlphaMetrix

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aleks Kins

Friendly environment, IT team can be improved

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe colleagues are helpful. New ideas are always encouraged, especially in the risk and research groups. Convenient downtown office location.

ConsImplementations of new ideas are slow. Some groups are short handed. Sometimes there can be confusion in the directions. IT department needs to be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more in some key positions.

Business Development a total waste because of Mikus Kins

Operations (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome good people, clients, products and services.

ConsMikus Kins was horrible and an egomaniac. He fired two people (one of whom almost had to leave the country due to work visa issues due to being let go) because these people would not lie about the software.
    Mikus would have an extragavant expense account. Mikus wasted money on consultants.
    The IT and COO were a total joke. The CEO kept changing his mind on everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO, a new COO, and fire the business development group.

Vision, Teamwork, and Chaos

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe team worked together beautifully. The CEO had a lot of vision and enthusiasm. The weekly pizza lunches were informal, supportive, and fun. The staff was entirely friendly. We all had a great time and worked very hard.

ConsThe team was let go from the CTO level down, without warning, without explanation. The spending seemed out of control (we had just moved to a new remodeled full-floor office) but we kept adding technology to the new office and deploying more servers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow those that are loyal to you, and return that loyalty. Recruit your people into your shifts in vision, don't simply trash the staff and start over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Toxic Environment for IT Employees

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees cared about the product they were delivering.
    Laid back, friendly culture among peers.
    Supportive culture for learning.
    Non-IT departments seemed to be thriving.
    Chicago office is nice.

ConsSudden mass terminations and benefit cuts left those remaining in IT eyeing the door.
    Leadership's modus operandi is seemingly whim-based actions sparse in both communication and detail.
    Little to no technical documentation.
    Lots of "5pm - 9am" time spent stressing about immediate future.
    Few promises were delivered (bonuses, reviews, raises).
    Columbus office is not nice (power outages, A/C outages, leaks).

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate clearly and often.
    It's OK to change a technology approach without hiring or firing people in spades.

Great place to learn and grow in your skills

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat environment for self-starters and self-learners. Very unique opportunity to learn about the Hedge Fund industry and Global Finance. Projects and responsibilities are definitely challenging at all levels. Multi-cultural staff and worldwide clients teaches you how to maintain a global and progressive perspective on all issues, not just financial. Fantastic location and beautiful view from the office.

ConsNot much opportunity to really learn from upper management as they are pretty busy with client meetings and executive level issues. Not much mentoring or senior guidance either since everyone has their own share of individual contributions they are responsible for. You'll have to carry your own weight and take individual responsibility for delivering results. Weaklings need not apply.

The Alpha Life.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery challenging work. You can never say you were not pushed in terms of demands of your work. Great team members and work environment.

ConsTurnover is high. Management is all over the place

Advice to Senior ManagementDirection. Get some.

Learning but no research

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLot of young people, Energetic Environment.
    Lot of interaction with industry and flexible timings and great office location.

ConsPeople don't implement the ideas. Lack of clarity in the direction of the company. Too much hiring and team changes.

Bad as it can be

Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUtilization of the latest technologies. Some managers are competent.

ConsAwful working environment. No career perspectives. Cannot agree more with the previous reviewer about a very strong sense of superiority without merit. If you have any brains - go find other company to work for. Competency of some managers are very questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend your middle IT managers to a school to learn basic management principles and rules.

Solid

QA Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsKind people, well run company, employees taken care of, nice office, steady business, fast-growing, plenty of communication between management and employees

ConsPosition was not suitable, compensation limited, top employees tend to move on, not very 'sexy' in terms of industry, not much else to complain about

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain good relations with employees, continue hospitality, but incentivize long-term tenure through pay or advancement, overall very pleased with management

IT department has been dissolved from 12-15 down to associate level personnel.

IT Professional (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery nice Data Center and IT technology implemented by the core IT team.

ConsUnfortunately, be it financial issues or other, the IT department has been dissolved from 12-15 highly skilled management, systems, operations and development professionals down to two associates which was preceded by the management decision to convert a .net development shop to open source with the expect results being ?. The resulting efforts have not met well with the company’s efforts and its investors now viewing AlphaMetrix as having a poor and shaky IT foundation.

Advice to Senior Management.

Worked for AlphaMetrix? Contribute to the Community!