Alphatec Spine

Leslie H. Cross

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Inconsistent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Competative Salary, Executive Managment, Communication

Cons

Inconsistent in accountability, following procedures, director and supervisory managment issues is many departments, lack of Human Resources effectiveness for problem resolution (i.e. if you have an issue with your supervisor/director expect that HR will have minimal involvement in finding resolution or protecting employee from farassment and negative retailiating action from Supervisor/Director).

Listen to your employees - without them you have a nice building, good products and managers...but no one who will do the work to make the company profitable. VALUE your team in actions, not words and they will give you their loyalty.

Things are Happening at Alphatec Spine

Current Employee - Analyst in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Alphatec treats its employees well. The culture is much better than when I joined 4 years ago. There seems to be very little turnover and that is a positive sign. Despite setbacks such as the recent Orthotec lawsuit, we continue to receive bonuses and pay increases and regularly have employee activities. I have faith that our big problems are behind us and we are on the upswing. Some of our future products will surprise our competition.

Cons

We aren't profitable. Our size sometimes makes it difficult to complete with the big competitors such as Medtronic, De Puy, etc.

Senior management could be more visible to us. Some of our processes are antiquated.

Loved working here.

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Alphatec Spine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Area close to home. Loved the people I worked with. Fair compensation.

Cons

Turnover rate. Seemed to be training a new employee every other week.

I dysfunctional revolving door which can't get its act together

Former Employee - 5818 Building in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - 5818 Building in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Alphatec Spine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people makes the dysfunction tolerable

Cons

Management speaks out of both sides of its mouth --- says they care about the employees but really do not.

Learn to value people and invest in human capital instead of seeing sailing videos as to what the CEO did during the summer or wasting money on wall-mounted flat screen TVs and international clocks in the lobby.

What A Difference A Year Makes!

Current Employee - Analyst in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Much of what was said in older posts was accurate. But in the past year, this place has really turned around. Morale is better. Despite not being profitable, we still receive pay increases, bonuses, etc. Positive changes at the executive level. Get on board now as we are heading in the right direction!

Cons

Company has still not been profitable.

Be more visible to us!

Nice to be in an environ where there are more and more changes for the better and where I can make a difference.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Alphatec Spine

Pros

I like the people who I work with, I'm getting more authority to make decisions about my projects and Alphatec is continuing to grow and change quickly which means that my work stays interesting and challenging. The company also now seems to be on the right track with regard to focusing on fewer things (and the right things) to increase our profitability.

Cons

Historically Marketing hasn't had as much influence over project prioritization and other decisions as they should have had (although this seems to be changing somewhat), it sometimes feels like there's a little too much drama when changes occur, and communication could still be improved throughout the organization.

Involve us more in strategic decisions that the company is making -- there's a lot of insight that people at the product manager level can offer. Also, keep improving organizational communication.

Momentum upwards with new CEO and focus on top products in 2012

I have been working at Alphatec Spine

Pros

Intimate customer knowledge and support, specialized products for spine, blend of operational and strategic in a start up company

Cons

IT and intranet infrastructure requires manual processes. Once funds are avaiable this will make life much easier for all employees

Ensure decisions being made are inclusive of middle management.

If you're ready to grab the orthopedic spine market by the balls, bring your brains and your A game.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Alphatec Spine

Pros

Access to a wide variety of surgeons that regularly place implants. These people know what works and will certainly educate anyone willing to listen. They are the market. It's a very dynamic environment with dramatic successes and equally dramatic failures. Eighty percent of all startups fail. Alphatec's demonstrated ability to generate revenue indicates there is more than a chance for success with hard work as the foundation.

I suspect most of the negative posts were placed by former employees whose employment was terminated by the company. The rest are from people who just want a job. A word of advice to the latter: EDCO and Waste Management are always looking for people that just want a job...

You want your six years back? You should have payed attention in high school and went to college.

Cons

There's no magic wand that can be waved to make your project succeed. You actually have to get in front of the project and make it happen. Seriously the biggest issue at the company has to be the diminished expectations of our client base due to previous poor performance.

Know your opportunities. Carve out a selection of conservative no-brainer revenue generating projects balanced with an array of aggressive, new, big earning options.

Opportunity Wasted

Former Employee - Product Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Alphatec Spine

Pros

well, they were in the area so the commute wasn't horrible. Decent product line for a spine company.

Cons

culture, culture, culture - they have a bad one. The company tends to position everything in a negative light, and all issues require someone to be blamed. Not a culture of identify and fix issues, rather just figure out where to point the finger.

Improve morale - reduced retention will make it more likely to complete projects, continue product development and achieve stated milestones.

No matter what they offer you, don't come here.

I have been working at Alphatec Spine

Pros

Salaries are pretty good. But I think that is how they entice people to come here. Other than that, there is nothing good.

Cons

Poor communication, work hard with no rewards. Some of us work harder than others, while manner screw around. A lot of buck passing going on, people try to get out of doing their own job.

But senior management is the biggest problem... Especially the CEO. He's had 4 years to make something of this company and all he's done is drive the stock price down. They don't seem to learn from their mistakes. They keep trying to whip the employees like sled dogs to work harder, expecting to get more out of them. Everyone is understaffed. The only way to get more, is to hire more employees.

Maybe hire more Indians, less Chiefs. There are too many Senior VPs running around, and no one to actually do all the work.