Alphatec Spine

Alphatec Spine Chairman and CEO Leslie H. Cross

Leslie H. Cross

Inconsistent

ProsBenefits, Competative Salary, Executive Managment, Communication

ConsInconsistent in accountability, following procedures, director and supervisory managment issues is many departments, lack of Human Resources effectiveness for problem resolution (i.e. if you have an issue with your supervisor/director expect that HR will have minimal involvement in finding resolution or protecting employee from farassment and negative retailiating action from Supervisor/Director).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees - without them you have a nice building, good products and managers...but no one who will do the work to make the company profitable. VALUE your team in actions, not words and they will give you their loyalty.

Things are Happening at Alphatec Spine

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsAlphatec treats its employees well. The culture is much better than when I joined 4 years ago. There seems to be very little turnover and that is a positive sign. Despite setbacks such as the recent Orthotec lawsuit, we continue to receive bonuses and pay increases and regularly have employee activities. I have faith that our big problems are behind us and we are on the upswing. Some of our future products will surprise our competition.

ConsWe aren't profitable. Our size sometimes makes it difficult to complete with the big competitors such as Medtronic, De Puy, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management could be more visible to us. Some of our processes are antiquated.

Loved working here.

Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsArea close to home. Loved the people I worked with. Fair compensation.

ConsTurnover rate. Seemed to be training a new employee every other week.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I dysfunctional revolving door which can't get its act together

5818 Building (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe people makes the dysfunction tolerable

ConsManagement speaks out of both sides of its mouth --- says they care about the employees but really do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value people and invest in human capital instead of seeing sailing videos as to what the CEO did during the summer or wasting money on wall-mounted flat screen TVs and international clocks in the lobby.

What A Difference A Year Makes!

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsMuch of what was said in older posts was accurate. But in the past year, this place has really turned around. Morale is better. Despite not being profitable, we still receive pay increases, bonuses, etc. Positive changes at the executive level. Get on board now as we are heading in the right direction!

ConsCompany has still not been profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible to us!

Nice to be in an environ where there are more and more changes for the better and where I can make a difference.

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsI like the people who I work with, I'm getting more authority to make decisions about my projects and Alphatec is continuing to grow and change quickly which means that my work stays interesting and challenging. The company also now seems to be on the right track with regard to focusing on fewer things (and the right things) to increase our profitability.

ConsHistorically Marketing hasn't had as much influence over project prioritization and other decisions as they should have had (although this seems to be changing somewhat), it sometimes feels like there's a little too much drama when changes occur, and communication could still be improved throughout the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve us more in strategic decisions that the company is making -- there's a lot of insight that people at the product manager level can offer. Also, keep improving organizational communication.

Momentum upwards with new CEO and focus on top products in 2012

Carlsbad, CA

ProsIntimate customer knowledge and support, specialized products for spine, blend of operational and strategic in a start up company

ConsIT and intranet infrastructure requires manual processes. Once funds are avaiable this will make life much easier for all employees

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure decisions being made are inclusive of middle management.

If you're ready to grab the orthopedic spine market by the balls, bring your brains and your A game.

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsAccess to a wide variety of surgeons that regularly place implants. These people know what works and will certainly educate anyone willing to listen. They are the market. It's a very dynamic environment with dramatic successes and equally dramatic failures. Eighty percent of all startups fail. Alphatec's demonstrated ability to generate revenue indicates there is more than a chance for success with hard work as the foundation.

I suspect most of the negative posts were placed by former employees whose employment was terminated by the company. The rest are from people who just want a job. A word of advice to the latter: EDCO and Waste Management are always looking for people that just want a job...

You want your six years back? You should have payed attention in high school and went to college.

ConsThere's no magic wand that can be waved to make your project succeed. You actually have to get in front of the project and make it happen. Seriously the biggest issue at the company has to be the diminished expectations of our client base due to previous poor performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your opportunities. Carve out a selection of conservative no-brainer revenue generating projects balanced with an array of aggressive, new, big earning options.

Opportunity Wasted

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

Proswell, they were in the area so the commute wasn't horrible. Decent product line for a spine company.

Consculture, culture, culture - they have a bad one. The company tends to position everything in a negative light, and all issues require someone to be blamed. Not a culture of identify and fix issues, rather just figure out where to point the finger.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove morale - reduced retention will make it more likely to complete projects, continue product development and achieve stated milestones.

No matter what they offer you, don't come here.

Carlsbad, CA

ProsSalaries are pretty good. But I think that is how they entice people to come here. Other than that, there is nothing good.

ConsPoor communication, work hard with no rewards. Some of us work harder than others, while manner screw around. A lot of buck passing going on, people try to get out of doing their own job.

But senior management is the biggest problem... Especially the CEO. He's had 4 years to make something of this company and all he's done is drive the stock price down. They don't seem to learn from their mistakes. They keep trying to whip the employees like sled dogs to work harder, expecting to get more out of them. Everyone is understaffed. The only way to get more, is to hire more employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe hire more Indians, less Chiefs. There are too many Senior VPs running around, and no one to actually do all the work.

Worked for Alphatec Spine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alphatec Spine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alphatec Spine CEO Leslie H. Cross. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Alphatec Spine employees.