Alpine Access

Alpine Access Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Alpine Access President & CEO Chris Carrington

Chris Carrington

Pros
  • Yes you get the freedom to work from home, at the same time you do not make much money (in 199 reviews)

• No commute, supportive team leads, lots of shifts to choose from, good coworkers, (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • back to back calls and no paid time off (in 20 reviews)

• They rarely take responsibility for any tech issues, their fault or not (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay depending on your learning the system and what you are actually looking for.

Alpine Access CCP (Current Employee)

ProsPaid Training at your states min wage tho, $9.50/hr some health benefits not worth it tho. This is a descent job and if you don't mind a crazy schedule and working from home then this job is for you.

ConsMust be a self learner, trainers really are not good trainers, hours can be a pain and you never get the same answer to a question twice. If you have tech issues keep track of your time or you will not get paid for it!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your trainers before having them train new employee's. Yes this is an at home opportunity but these are still people and to keep your business looking good the people who represent you must be familiar with and understand their jobs and duties. Also Hr could be more helpful with LOA and other employee services if they don't get their act together I see some legal issues in the future!!!!

Satisfactory, has a lot of room for improvement.

Tech Support (Current Employee)

ProsNice coworkers, program (tech support) is a good fit for my skills. Account manager is very supportive and mostly available, client we work for is interesting and the customers are appreciative and fun to talk to. Small raise from client with newest job role (kind of a con, still vastly underpaid, 3rd role since program start).

Initial training was at minimum wage but my first up-training was paid at my rate at that time ($9.5) and my most recent up-training was paid at the new rate ($10/hr) before we'd even started taking those call types. OT was based off that rate as well, which was very generous of them, all things considering.

Application and onboarding process was very straightforward, seems like they'll hire anyone. Depending on the program they will provide you with a computer to work on. It was a downgrade from what I'm used to but I'm sure this is a pro for most people.

I'll talk about this in cons too but the customers have an opportunity to leave surveys, and while not required (yet) to get a certain number in a month it is really rewarding seeing their comments and knowing they appreciate you :)

Also I've seen a lot of reviews mention they don't calculate your pay correctly or compensate your for tech issues on their end. This has not been my experience at all. Payroll system is super easy to understand. Every penny is accounted for on my paychecks, my direct deposit comes a day early (yay!), and they've paid me every time their systems went down while I was working. (Con: Systems will go down while you're working).

ConsLOW PAY, little to no advancement opportunities, can't transfer before you have done a year on your current program and they seem to dislike the idea of dual programs, incompetent team leads/trainers, you are treated as insignificant even if you are a top 5 performer, just to name a few. Small lunch/break windows that you only get if you work over 4 - 6 continuous hours. Having a 10 min split between two 3+ hour shifts will not net you a lunch, sorry.

You do have to get their approved equipment before you start working, which can be pricey and they don't reimburse for it. Training was mostly unorganized and I'm only so good at my job because of my previous experience and outside study. I would not expect to be able to perform my job properly with just the training they provide. This seems to be the norm based on other reviews.

Micro managing is a very real problem. Every little thing needs to be approved, which I've honestly stopped bothering with because it makes your calls longer (example: you have to ask for permission in the room to transfer a customer, TL is doing who knows what and never sees it, customer on line gets frustrated waiting for no reason, possible bad survey marks, AHT goes up, TL finally sees it but damage is done to metrics and then they wonder why call time is so high).

Surveys have a couple of questions about rating the client (in addition to rating you of course). One of these fields is counted in with your score and can bring it down, messing up your survey average for something you have no control over. Its hilarious how they think a 10 minute support call is supposed to change a person's entire perspective over what is usually a multiple year long relationship. Crazy.

Other things that other people mention but don't bother me so much: little health benefits, no scheduling flexibility, self paid background check.

Oh and the helpdesk people are awful here, google your issue if you need help. I think they're outsourced as well which should be less surprising than it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP hiring unqualified people. I get that you need a certain number to satisfy client needs but there are so many people I work with who obviously lied that they are tech savvy that we will more than likely lose this client. Then again, you can't attain quality people because the pay is crap. Also it is simply silly to hire new waves during low call vol times and have everyone scheduled for <5 hours/week for weeks at a time. While we're on the topic, the process of vetting people needs to be seriously improved upon. My program is less than a year old and there are still so many people who should have been fired by now. The only people who have left have done so voluntarily. People who do not have the capacity to perform drag the team down and they need to be identified and cleared out, period.

STOP being so CHEAP. The Work At Home aspect should not be a reason to pay as low as you do, and is not as big of a perk as you claim for those of us who don't even particularly like working from home. Accruing PTO should be something that happens automatically. I'm not saying to just give everyone PTO but let us work towards accruing it. Give ACTUAL raises to your top performers (for those who don't know, the current raise rate is +15 cents for every 3000 hours you work...yeah...). An email thanking me for my dedication is nice but will not pay my bills. Between Sykes and the client you guys can afford to add a couple dollars for the people who have helped your program and bottom line grow, especially since you seem to have the budget to hire so many other people. Doubly so since you don't have too many overhead costs for your employees in terms of phone/utility costs. Compensate your top agents fairly or they will leave/switch programs. This is happening right now solely for pay reasons and could be easily avoided.

The current 'rewards' program was very unattainable for a good part of my time here. I've only been able to reach over the required 335 hours one time and that was a rare case when OT had been approved. I think it would be helpful if you got with all your account managers to come up with a program that can be scaled to fit the individual program. I'm not sure how plentiful hours are on other programs but they can get really low on mine and thus make earning rewards non-existent. Unless of course this was your intention, then ignore my suggestion.

Team leads leave a lot to be desired and I'll just leave that at that. It would be nice if the ones assigned to a particular program had skills relating to that program and not just admin stuff. Like, that should be common sense and would be reallyyyy nice.

Please get a better email system or switch the whole company over to Outlook. The current one is a mess and its ridiculous that I have to log into the VPN just to check it.

Metrics are important but do not judge your employees solely by them, whether the metrics are good or bad.

Be more receptive to employee input. We are, after all, the ones working and fueling the process. The survey you guys put out recently was nice. There should be something similar at the program/team level, and the input should be taken seriously. I swear, coming up with our AHA team name was treated as more important than any other feedback I've given over the past year.

Good place to work a few bumps here and there but nothing major.

ProsI've been working here now about 7 months and the company itself is great, they have a lot of different programs and i'm on my 2nd program with them. You're assigned a life coach who basically checks in on you once every couple of weeks to ask how you're doing and to allow you to vent your frustration if you wish...its typical customer service inbound calling I work from home only thing is they severely cut hours whenever a new batch of employees come on, your hours get cut in half and you basically gotta wait till the weak hands get shaken out, quit, or get fired. Pay sucks but what else is new they do have a board where you can give away trade away or pick up more hours so you have real flexibility with your schedule but as i said earlier when a new batch of employees get hired expect your shifts to drop two thirds and you end up picking up hours at inconvenient times for you because you still need to pay bills...heck thats if your lucky to find hours because everyone gets cut and nobody trades. I like the company as long as you do your work and do it right you don't get hassled I've learned to brush off the criticism from QAs because my job is done right and they nitpick over nonsense. In any case i recommend working for Alpine just do your job and show up on time and your ok.

ConsPay
    Shortage of hours
    No real opportunities to advance

Advice to Senior Managementpay more, give more hours, dont flood the waters with new employees every 30 days and take hours away from the employees who have been working steady.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good at first but grew old fast

Sprint Collections and Care (Former Employee)

Pros-saves you on gas due to no commute
    -pay is better than some other work-at-home call centers
    -training is pretty fun
    -team leads on Sprint account can be extremely lenient
    -decent PTO accrual
    -easy time-off requests although sometimes it can take scheduling days to confirm your request.
    -many complained about not being flexible with their schedule but my schedule changed at least 7 times while I was there due to many different life changes
    -advancement is easy if you have the drive, the stats and the recommendations. It's as easy as applying from within the virtual environment. you are automatically uptrained into Care up to 6 months after exiting your initial training.
    -post-2012 saw new equipment (Alpine in a Box) make its way out and I LOVED it once the bugs got worked out. FAR better than the USB drive we had to install when I started in April of '08.

Cons-Sprint collections job grows extremely tedious very quick
    -some team leads tackle too many responsibilities and as a result, your questions may get overlooked or go unanswered either way.
    -tech issues are a common thing around the Sprint account so don't be surprised if you go half of a shift not working due to tech issues.
    -team leads switch every so often. don't get used to one team lead because odds are they might change you later.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had minimal issues with management but would've enjoyed it more had I been followed up with more often to keep me up to date on my stats. I didn't struggle too much but often could've avoided several issues had my TL been a bit more on the ball with tending to things.

Overall good company, depending on your Manager!

Escalations Supervisor/SME (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsI really enjoyed working for this company. I was employed there for about two years in my former role as Escalations Supervisor / SME / Assistant Team Leader and enjoyed it! I was one of the last stops on the escalations path for customer resolution. I handled callbacks for unsatisfied customers, I handled negative agent (in house agents) surveys graded by customers, I assisted with coaching with agents (20-30) for a Team Leader, and I provided support/questions to everyone (even managers above me).

ConsPolicies changing on an hourly basis, a lot of tech issues, poor operations management, horrible HR department, and you had to move heaven and earth to get a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider not placing people who make the final decisions in one's employment when they can't even assist you with simple questions or coaching.

Not my cup of Joe

Training (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsStable company with many job offerings. Established and growing. Compensation seemed fair at first. Had I been able to keep a 40-45 hour schedule it would have stayed so. Health and 401k perks. Occasional catered lunches.

ConsI thought the CEO and rest of the big office honchos were great. However the department heads I dealt with were impossible to please, no matter how many hours worked, results produced, accomplishments made. In addition, team leads that I worked around could be heard throughout the day yelling through the phone at their subordinates, probably daily. As most of the work is done via telephone, it is not the type of corporate office that has a high degree of social interaction. High stress, low payoff. Constant overtime. Constant feeling of being undervalued.

Advice to Senior ManagementMid level management needs some polishing.

Great coaches and Team Lead!

MRA (Current Employee) Rochester, NH

ProsWork at home has it's definite perks. From kitchen with coffee to desk/work with coffee!
    Very helpful coaches in time of need. TL looking for my success with helpful suggestions, always available even when not "clocked in".
    I love to "help" members with their concerns and questions and they are most grateful to get the help, information and discounts!

ConsPay and inconsistent non-stop calls or jump offs. Overall very nice work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down on the mail sent..members get confused and overwhelmed. Tech issues are there but for the most part are compensated when the problem is on their end.

Good work from home job

Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsCan work from the comfort of home, wearing pajamas

ConsVery strick time frames, variable schedule, limited hours

Advice to Senior ManagementSome

Horrible!!!!

Work At Home Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsPaid training. You get to stay home. Don't have to spend money on clothes, makeup, gas, vehicle upkeep, childcare etc.

ConsTraining last about 2 weeks. During this time you are basically taking online courses and then the "team lead" will go over what you just done and then you are to take a test at the end of your training and if you pass you will go into what is called a "nesting phase", then after nesting for a few days you're on your own. The training is horrible and is very fast paced. They try to shove about 8 - 12 weeks of training in your brain in 2 weeks and you are NOT prepared to go on the phones. They will get rid of you without any explanation and you can't get ahold of anyone after you're let go. They will also hold your paychecks for any reason without explanation and paychecks are often short. I would NOT recommend working here.

Seat-of-your-pants, employees-training-employees training, "first-call-resolution" my eye, pay disputes & lies.

Xbox Universal Remote Tech (Former Employee) Royal Oak, MI

ProsWork-at-home, remote tech, customer service experience.

ConsThey used their access to my home network to steal and delete all my data, conspired to bury all my exceptional customer feedback, manipulated to keep me online beyond the number of hours I agreed to work, cheated me out of pay and then kept me online trying to prove it, deliberately caused "technical difficulties" to delay my shift and waste my time, had bad supervisors that were jealous of my technical knowledge and punished me for it, had good supervisors that they bullied -- just a nightmare company.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your entire deceptive, manipulative culture, maybe even fire yourself because you stood by and watched it all and ignored my pleas to you.

Worked for Alpine Access? Contribute to the Community!