www.alpineaccess.com

Updated November 24, 2014
2.5

Alpine Access CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • The ability to work from home is the only reason I work for this client (in 213 reviews)

• No commute, supportive team leads, lots of shifts to choose from, good coworkers, (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • back to back calls and no paid time off (in 21 reviews)

• If you have tech issues keep track of your time or you will not get paid for it (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Alpine Access

Pros

Benefits and your working from home.

Cons

There were none for me.

Great, for first work from home opportunity

Current Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior SQL Server Database Administrator in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Alpine Access part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work from home and don't have to worry about traffic, what to wear or getting gas!

Cons

The training is pretty fast paced but if you are a quick learner you shouldn't have any problems. The compensation I feel is low, I have been there for 2 years and I have never gotten a raise.

You should be paid based on performance and this company doesn't do that. I feel I should be making way more than what I do, for what I do and apparently they don't agree.

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, sweet customers that are quite easy to handle, calm down and talk to! Supervisors, and leads nice and very understanding about working around my school schedule

Cons

Hourly wage sucks and training too fast. They should take more time to explain call and scenarios for calls handled by having training systems that mimic live scenarios and calls that will be handled in production. Less aimless boring reading of details of systems and more on call hands on.

Create training programs that are more up to date and fix training protocol to include actual dealing with real production scenarios so that new reps don't have to take up so much lead time and make the customer wait for answers. Reps should know what to expect their first day after nesting not feel as if they are being pushed out of the best before they are able to fly.

Virtual Sweatshop

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service Professional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service Professional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home. Saves on gas and traffic. If you're lucky enough to have a good TL, appreciate it.

Cons

Most importantly, watch your paychecks. With the low pay, it's already hard enough to pay the internet and phone bill required to work from home. A lot have noticed missing pay..meetings and tech issues. You can work 40+ hours per week and rarely see 40 hours of pay.
    Constant tech issues. Even with computer they send you, they will still try to blame your provider for system issues. If the tech issues are your provider, you don't get tech pay.
    Reaching out for help with system issues or customer issues is a coin toss depending on who is working.
    The job is very demanding. Calls are back to back. High traffic, high stress. Extremely hard to make more money than the starting pay. Very good CCP agents become quickly burnt out. Short breaks, long shifts. If you have kids, you'll see them less working at home than you did working outside the home.
    Metrics: really, the numbers they want from customer surveys are ridiculous. You can get there on most but hardly ever all of them. The job is more about your numbers than actual customer service.
    They now offer healthcare! If you have kids to put on it, you'll only give up half of your pay check every 2 weeks.

Make pay better. We put a lot in to your company! PLEASE understand we are people! We aren't numbers. Make a way to quickly fix pay issues on the pay period it was meant for and PLEASE revamp how tech issues are handled. Its a merry-go-round for a lot longer than necessary. In general: treat your employees better! Happy employees equal better production and makes YOU more money in the long run.

Depends on your program.

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Care Professional
    Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Care Professional

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for Alpine Access (Sykes@home) for 6 months. The first 4 months I worked for the Telecommunications (ATT) program, & the last 2 I worked as a Gaming Specialist (Xbox Support).
    Att was a great program, the trainers were knowledgeable & very informative with everything making it very easy to learn & they made sure we all participated so it would be easier to grasp. After training, I moved to a team which was also great, my Team Lead was awesome very understanding and laid back. If I had stayed with ATT, I would have rated this company 5 stars.. but alas, I wanted to try something new.

Unlike the ATT program, the Xbox program was total crap. My trainer was completely incompetent, it was his first training class so I assumed he was still a little rough around the edges.. but this was ridiculous.
    The majority of the class was spent without him, while he put us in breakouts for 'self discovery', & sometimes would accidentally take himself off of mute and we could hear him on the phone with his girlfriend while he was supposed to be 'working on something'. He would also randomly start 'rapping',bragged about how nice looking he was, and was really into the Laws of Attraction.. so much that we would have 'meditation' before class to draw positive energy our way.
    By the end of our training, we had lost 10 people & they were still leaving by the first day of taking calls. I also decided it was time for me to move on, I had learned NOTHING in the training class except who Soulja Boy was & what 'jiggalo' means.

Cons

Trainers are just agents with a different title, not enough access to higher management, they were always telling me to talk my problems out with my trainer.. if my problem WAS my trainer.

Make sure your agents are properly trained before making them trainers. It gets ridiculous after a while.

Customer service for a wireless provider

Current Employee - CCP in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - CCP in Denver, CO

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You work at home, in almost any part of America or Canada.You can get away with mediocre performance if you have good attendance, and depending on which one of the clients that Alpine has you working at can determine working conditions. Also if you are blessed with a good sup that helps. The training is sad they try to pack 3 weeks of training into one week an then you are responsible to keep yourself current on any change in policy an procedure. Your basic boiler room an standard office politics apply. That is a pro because if you can be dependable an have basic set of job skills you can have a job for as long as they are open however a few actions can get you terminated, such as call avoidance, browbeating a customer an such. Alpine Access is about like any other call center, and I have never missed a check plus if your pay is not correct they will fix it. If you last 10,000 hrs on the job you get a $1000.00 bonus. They have an employee discount program with some of the clients. When ever i have had tech issue the tech support team is great to work with. If you know the right co-workers to ask you can get help with job knowledge. If you are hired take as many notes as you can in training, and if you learn how to look up the procedures in the data base that will give you a huge leg up.

Cons

The use of computer technology to keep track of your every second while on the clock. You have to submit a report and give an accounting if you are more than 15 min past taking lunch an breaks , tech issues etc. multitasking is a given, you will find yourself talking to the cust , typing note an the account, chatting with a supp, and inputting procedures on the acct such as setting a payment extension, doing an address change etc etc. You learn to do all this with an average handle time of 5.5 min per call, it has become so bad they are not able to keep people on the job an they are constantly training people , in the 5 yrs i have worked here i have seen it go from bad to almost surreal. when it comes to being able to meet the job metrics.

Quite playing favorites and dissolve the cliques. Management will lick the floor the client walks on and that reflects on the way the reps are treated. Management will lie to you when they need to. so if your enter the snake pit...be warned.

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home, great leaders. Ability to advance.

Cons

Pay could be better.

Cheap company, treats workers like throw away garbage

Current Employee - Work At Home Telephone Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are that it's work at home. And it's legit work-at-home. The pros are that it's better than working at McDonalds. And maybe that should be Alpine's motto "we're better than working at McDonalds".

For many people working at home is a necessity due to their situation. And this job satisfies that. Also, you can move around the country and still keep your job.

If you need to work at home and you can live on less than $1500 net income per month, this job may be for you.

Cons

The company is cheap, cheap....oh, did I mention CHEAP? To start off, you don't cost them office space, electric, heat, or computer/phone equipment. And if you don't have a landline or a phone headset, you get to pay for those too. And what's their benefit to you? A dollar over min wage and NO benefits. I don't care what it says about health care, they offer NO health insurance. They offer LIFE insurance. Kind of a big difference. And no doubt they make money on selling it to you.

To start working for Alpine, I had to dig up around $100 to install a landline, get a headset and notarize papers to send to them for the application.

Ok, moving on. You will NEVER get a raise at the same position. EVER. Been there for 10 years? Who cares, $9/hr. They do offer an incentive if you happen to be one of the top performers....50 cents more per hour....or $30 after taxes per paycheck. Oh, and you can lose this if they think you weren't performing well enough. It's not permanent.

Almost NO training. They will spend time with these worthless get-togethers, but you will get drilled in call reviews for something you were never taught....as if you knew it, somehow. The main reason I do well is because of past experience with companies that did train me. Alpine is paying me low wages benefiting from my past experience outside the company.

No benefits. No paid vacation. They do throw you a bonus, but outside of this, at full-time you're looking at around $1300 per month.

They will do their best to cheat you out of time. You can always dispute it, but hey they write the paychecks. You'll find hours missing and be given some lame excuse why. Be prepared to be available 40 hours, just don't expect to get paid 40 hours.

No paid holidays. You don't work, you don't get paid. You get to work non-fed holidays as well at straight pay. Easter? New Years Eve? Christmas Eve? You may as well be working at Walmart.

The job is basically a min-wage job at home. But it's not a skill-less job at all. You need to be tech savvy and depending on your program, you need to be intelligent enough to handle calls about your client. You have to read up and TRAIN YOURSELF to handle your calls.

Going back to cheap. The company offers NO health care and yet the CEO sends out emails telling people how to be fit. Okay I guess that's his compensating for not helping with health care.. Then he gets team leads to beg workers for donations to his pet charity for heart research. These are people that make $9/hr, many part-time that's he's begging.

Also, it feels like they don't hire enough people as there are often endless calls in a day.

Stop being so cheap and start to value your workers.

Good entry level job

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alpine Access

Pros

Work from home and vacations

Cons

Pay is terrible and no long term projects

Well, it was interesting.

Former Employee - Member Relations Customer Care Professional
    Former Employee - Member Relations Customer Care Professional

I worked at Alpine Access part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest pro is working from home! As a newly divorced stay-home mom it was a perfect situation for me.

Cons

Salary could be better. The program I worked was great but my first Team Leader was absolutely worthless. They're not as time flexible as they say. My daughter became very ill and there were many ER visits. They were definitely nasty about it. I even had to fax in a funeral card and obituary when a relative died.

Yes, we're all lucky to work from home. Realize that things DO happen. Be there for the team. There were many times I'd go into chat for TL assistance and no one would answer.

Alpine Access Photos