Alpine Access

Updated August 22, 2014
2.5

Alpine Access President & CEO Chris Carrington
Chris Carrington

Pros
  • Yes you get the freedom to work from home, at the same time you do not make much money (in 199 reviews)

• No commute, supportive team leads, lots of shifts to choose from, good coworkers, (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • back to back calls and no paid time off (in 20 reviews)

• They rarely take responsibility for any tech issues, their fault or not (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Convenient, Nice to work from home. You feel like you are constantly running on quicksand trying to hit a moving target.

Former Employee - Team Mentor
    Former Employee - Team Mentor

I worked at Alpine Access full-time for less than a year

Pros

Convenient, work from home, pay is good.

Cons

They were so focused on growth they didn't create a good foundation for middle managers. Horrible training for supervisors. They changed the reports we needed to create and some of the metrics we needed to measure a couple of times a day. No Joke. 10 hour days are typical but you only get paid for 10 (in a supervisory role) and only a few managers were able to actually accomplish everything we needed to. No training for managers on reports we were supposed to create, etc.

Get your foundation stable Stop chasing growth until you know you can sustain it.

It is difficult to move up unless you know someone

Current Employee - Virtual Agent  in  Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Virtual Agent in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work at home, flexibility of hours, great support from coaches and Team Leads

Cons

It is difficult to move up without knowing someone. Every since Sykes took over Alpine Access things have changed more for the negative.

Make it easier to move up if you have been with the company for awhile. There needs to be better money paid out and more potential for raises.

Alpine Access

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Training peers make training fun

Cons

pay is low, not sure if 40 hours per week will be consistent

n/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Legitimate work at home, but there are issues

I have been working at Alpine Access

Pros

Good working from home, somewhat flexible hours

Cons

Pay is substantially lower than other companies in the industry

Okay depending on your learning the system and what you are actually looking for.

Current Employee - Alpine Access CCP
    Current Employee - Alpine Access CCP

I have been working at Alpine Access as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Paid Training at your states min wage tho, $9.50/hr some health benefits not worth it tho. This is a descent job and if you don't mind a crazy schedule and working from home then this job is for you.

Cons

Must be a self learner, trainers really are not good trainers, hours can be a pain and you never get the same answer to a question twice. If you have tech issues keep track of your time or you will not get paid for it!

Train your trainers before having them train new employee's. Yes this is an at home opportunity but these are still people and to keep your business looking good the people who represent you must be familiar with and understand their jobs and duties. Also Hr could be more helpful with LOA and other employee services if they don't get their act together I see some legal issues in the future!!!!

Terrible company to work for!

Former Employee - Work At Home Customer Care Professional
    Former Employee - Work At Home Customer Care Professional

I worked at Alpine Access full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home. Decent benefits. Your schedule stays the same so no need for shift bids.

Cons

Management doesn't care about their employees. The compensation was not up to par for the type of work and type of customers you have to deal with on a daily basis. The team leads don't care about you. You are just another number to them. Technical support is lacking heavily.

If you are in a severe financial crunch go for it if not avoid it 100 percent

Current Employee - AT&T Representative
    Current Employee - AT&T Representative

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get paid every two weeks,the training is pretty great,and the employees are friendly people

Cons

everything and I do mean everything else, my team lead harasses me,sometimes when she does it I can hear her laughing on the phone,she lies about my wtr and digital first score also my equipment is having constant technical issues I apply for tech pay but my team lead refuses to enter the information in I lose almost 300 to 400 every month due to issues from the company owned equipment,if the issue is on them they will do everything in their power to blame it on you no one cares about you there as an employee nor do they care about your rights.

Like they care,so this is pointless

Satisfactory, has a lot of room for improvement.

Current Employee - Tech Support

I have been working at Alpine Access part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers, program (tech support) is a good fit for my skills. Account manager is very supportive and mostly available, client we work for is interesting and the customers are appreciative and fun to talk to. Small raise from client with newest job role (kind of a con, still vastly underpaid, 3rd role since program start).

Initial training was at minimum wage but my first up-training was paid at my rate at that time ($9.5) and my most recent up-training was paid at the new rate ($10/hr) before we'd even started taking those call types. OT was based off that rate as well, which was very generous of them, all things considering.

Application and onboarding process was very straightforward, seems like they'll hire anyone. Depending on the program they will provide you with a computer to work on. It was a downgrade from what I'm used to but I'm sure this is a pro for most people.

I'll talk about this in cons too but the customers have an opportunity to leave surveys, and while not required (yet) to get a certain number in a month it is really rewarding seeing their comments and knowing they appreciate you :)

Also I've seen a lot of reviews mention they don't calculate your pay correctly or compensate your for tech issues on their end. This has not been my experience at all. Payroll system is super easy to understand. Every penny is accounted for on my paychecks, my direct deposit comes a day early (yay!), and they've paid me every time their systems went down while I was working. (Con: Systems will go down while you're working).

Cons

LOW PAY, little to no advancement opportunities, can't transfer before you have done a year on your current program and they seem to dislike the idea of dual programs, incompetent team leads/trainers, you are treated as insignificant even if you are a top 5 performer, just to name a few. Small lunch/break windows that you only get if you work over 4 - 6 continuous hours. Having a 10 min split between two 3+ hour shifts will not net you a lunch, sorry.

You do have to get their approved equipment before you start working, which can be pricey and they don't reimburse for it. Training was mostly unorganized and I'm only so good at my job because of my previous experience and outside study. I would not expect to be able to perform my job properly with just the training they provide. This seems to be the norm based on other reviews.

Micro managing is a very real problem. Every little thing needs to be approved, which I've honestly stopped bothering with because it makes your calls longer (example: you have to ask for permission in the room to transfer a customer, TL is doing who knows what and never sees it, customer on line gets frustrated waiting for no reason, possible bad survey marks, AHT goes up, TL finally sees it but damage is done to metrics and then they wonder why call time is so high).

Surveys have a couple of questions about rating the client (in addition to rating you of course). One of these fields is counted in with your score and can bring it down, messing up your survey average for something you have no control over. Its hilarious how they think a 10 minute support call is supposed to change a person's entire perspective over what is usually a multiple year long relationship. Crazy.

Other things that other people mention but don't bother me so much: little health benefits, no scheduling flexibility, self paid background check.

Oh and the helpdesk people are awful here, google your issue if you need help. I think they're outsourced as well which should be less surprising than it is.

STOP hiring unqualified people. I get that you need a certain number to satisfy client needs but there are so many people I work with who obviously lied that they are tech savvy that we will more than likely lose this client. Then again, you can't attain quality people because the pay is crap. Also it is simply silly to hire new waves during low call vol times and have everyone scheduled for <5 hours/week for weeks at a time. While we're on the topic, the process of vetting people needs to be seriously improved upon. My program is less than a year old and there are still so many people who should have been fired by now. The only people who have left have done so voluntarily. People who do not have the capacity to perform drag the team down and they need to be identified and cleared out, period.

STOP being so CHEAP. The Work At Home aspect should not be a reason to pay as low as you do, and is not as big of a perk as you claim for those of us who don't even particularly like working from home. Accruing PTO should be something that happens automatically. I'm not saying to just give everyone PTO but let us work towards accruing it. Give ACTUAL raises to your top performers (for those who don't know, the current raise rate is +15 cents for every 3000 hours you work...yeah...). An email thanking me for my dedication is nice but will not pay my bills. Between Sykes and the client you guys can afford to add a couple dollars for the people who have helped your program and bottom line grow, especially since you seem to have the budget to hire so many other people. Doubly so since you don't have too many overhead costs for your employees in terms of phone/utility costs. Compensate your top agents fairly or they will leave/switch programs. This is happening right now solely for pay reasons and could be easily avoided.

The current 'rewards' program was very unattainable for a good part of my time here. I've only been able to reach over the required 335 hours one time and that was a rare case when OT had been approved. I think it would be helpful if you got with all your account managers to come up with a program that can be scaled to fit the individual program. I'm not sure how plentiful hours are on other programs but they can get really low on mine and thus make earning rewards non-existent. Unless of course this was your intention, then ignore my suggestion.

Team leads leave a lot to be desired and I'll just leave that at that. It would be nice if the ones assigned to a particular program had skills relating to that program and not just admin stuff. Like, that should be common sense and would be reallyyyy nice.

Please get a better email system or switch the whole company over to Outlook. The current one is a mess and its ridiculous that I have to log into the VPN just to check it.

Metrics are important but do not judge your employees solely by them, whether the metrics are good or bad.

Be more receptive to employee input. We are, after all, the ones working and fueling the process. The survey you guys put out recently was nice. There should be something similar at the program/team level, and the input should be taken seriously. I swear, coming up with our AHA team name was treated as more important than any other feedback I've given over the past year.

Good place to work a few bumps here and there but nothing major.

I have been working at Alpine Access for less than a year

Pros

I've been working here now about 7 months and the company itself is great, they have a lot of different programs and i'm on my 2nd program with them. You're assigned a life coach who basically checks in on you once every couple of weeks to ask how you're doing and to allow you to vent your frustration if you wish...its typical customer service inbound calling I work from home only thing is they severely cut hours whenever a new batch of employees come on, your hours get cut in half and you basically gotta wait till the weak hands get shaken out, quit, or get fired. Pay sucks but what else is new they do have a board where you can give away trade away or pick up more hours so you have real flexibility with your schedule but as i said earlier when a new batch of employees get hired expect your shifts to drop two thirds and you end up picking up hours at inconvenient times for you because you still need to pay bills...heck thats if your lucky to find hours because everyone gets cut and nobody trades. I like the company as long as you do your work and do it right you don't get hassled I've learned to brush off the criticism from QAs because my job is done right and they nitpick over nonsense. In any case i recommend working for Alpine just do your job and show up on time and your ok.

Cons

Pay
    Shortage of hours
    No real opportunities to advance

pay more, give more hours, dont flood the waters with new employees every 30 days and take hours away from the employees who have been working steady.

Good at first but grew old fast

Former Employee - Sprint Collections and Care
    Former Employee - Sprint Collections and Care

I worked at Alpine Access full-time

Pros

-saves you on gas due to no commute
    -pay is better than some other work-at-home call centers
    -training is pretty fun
    -team leads on Sprint account can be extremely lenient
    -decent PTO accrual
    -easy time-off requests although sometimes it can take scheduling days to confirm your request.
    -many complained about not being flexible with their schedule but my schedule changed at least 7 times while I was there due to many different life changes
    -advancement is easy if you have the drive, the stats and the recommendations. It's as easy as applying from within the virtual environment. you are automatically uptrained into Care up to 6 months after exiting your initial training.
    -post-2012 saw new equipment (Alpine in a Box) make its way out and I LOVED it once the bugs got worked out. FAR better than the USB drive we had to install when I started in April of '08.

Cons

-Sprint collections job grows extremely tedious very quick
    -some team leads tackle too many responsibilities and as a result, your questions may get overlooked or go unanswered either way.
    -tech issues are a common thing around the Sprint account so don't be surprised if you go half of a shift not working due to tech issues.
    -team leads switch every so often. don't get used to one team lead because odds are they might change you later.

I had minimal issues with management but would've enjoyed it more had I been followed up with more often to keep me up to date on my stats. I didn't struggle too much but often could've avoided several issues had my TL been a bit more on the ball with tending to things.

Worked for Alpine Access? Contribute to the Community!