www.alpineaccess.com

Updated December 20, 2014
2.6

Alpine Access CEO Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • The ability to work from home is the only reason I work for this client (in 213 reviews)

• No commute, supportive team leads, lots of shifts to choose from, good coworkers, (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • back to back calls and no paid time off (in 21 reviews)

• If you have tech issues keep track of your time or you will not get paid for it (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

HORRIBLE COMPANY TO WORK FOR!

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No comment. They actually deserve ZERO stars.

Cons

Poor training. Pay was barely above minimum wage; all client requirements are not disclosed, so more are added but compensation doesn't change. HR is slow to respond to questions/concerns, and actually IGNORES you. Technical issues were constant, and more often than not, one has to start making attempts to sign in nearly an hour or more BEFORE shifts, and you are not paid for it. Most supervisors and managers treat you as if you're ignorant and/or a preteen. The lack of respect and regard is immeasurable.

This is useless because Sykes does not care about its employees, only its clients. I was viciously attacked by a customer and their response was to remove me from the work schedule, tell me to seek help from the county, and then fire me months later via email. And they fired me AFTER the SSA determined I was disabled due to the attack. Also, Alpine chose to shield the attacker from facing liability. IF there are any real HUMAN BEINGS in Management… get a clue! You are destroying people's lives. I faced homelessness and, for over a month, could eat only every other day.

Horrible mess

I worked at Alpine Access

Pros

You get to work from home

Cons

The training the provide is not enough to understand and do the job correctly. There own systems have problems all the time. They tell you to reboot the computer to fix the issues but it never fixes anything plus the time you spent rebooting is not payed. Upper management only cares about
    metres.

Treat your employees with more respect

Alpine Access also known as Sykes at home.

Former Employee - Work At Home Customer Care Professional in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Work At Home Customer Care Professional in Eugene, OR

I worked at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are jobs available. Working from home should/would/could be a great thing. You get to pick your schedule out of several options;early start or late start and days of the week, full time or part time.Terrible experience; promised a job and 4 weeks training.

Cons

It took 4 weeks plus, to go through the hiring process. I was told I would be with a particular company for which I was very knowledgeable about their product and and had many years of experience with on my own prior to getting hired. I would get a company computer to use and get to pick my schedule. Training was to be 4 weeks and even that would probably be iffy, but if you studied outside of training and really applied yourself and maybe even had knowledge of the product from your own experience, you might expect to do OK.

On the day I was to start training, I was told that I was working for a different company, no computer and a schedule change that wouldn't work for me but I needed a job badly so I rearranged kids, doctors, school and my life to fit. I was told training would be 2 weeks not 4 weeks. They hired people with no computer experience at all and instead of training, we got to watch LIVE via our own computer, while the instructor cleaned cache and cookies and updated students PC software and browsers. It was so frustrating when not only did we NOT get enough training but the software we needed to use for work, was not available to train with and it was given on the 1st day of work after 9 days of "TRAINING" if you could call it that. Thrown in to sin or swim, customers were calling in for customer service, which we could not give them the answers, didn't know where to look for the answers, didn't know how to transfer, given 2 customers at a time and would have to keep lying to them while we waited in line to ask instructor a question, 20 of us, meanwhile the customer was waiting already close to an hour to speak to us. It was anything but customer service. I am a computer software expert, 20 years experience in IT and had no idea how to maneuver through the various different programs (5 of them) that must be running on your PC at all times while working and besides interacting with 2 customers at a time, you were to be working back and forth trough all the software, soft-phones, incoming calls, talking to supervisors and waiting for answers to give to the customer, what a nightmare. That is not service and the customers were really upset and angry after waiting forever to get someone who would either lose the call or did not know how to find an answer and keep them on the phone over an hour without resolving anything, It was so humiliating. If that was not all bad enough, that day I was told I would be working Saturday, not Sunday after telling them from the start that I don't work on Saturday, ever at all. They knew it before I was officially hired and after all that, they changed my schedule a 3rd time with no notice when there were others who were perfectly willing to trade with me and work on Saturday. No communication within the company. People don't respond or you get a copy and pasted answer from a book that does not even answer your question, No live help for employees, just people overseas working from home or in a factory setting who knew even less than I did about the job and the info I needed. It was all stall tactics and for what? They are famous for their customer service! How? They represent all these big corporations, I don't understand how they stay in business.

Convenient to a degree.

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Alpine Access full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home, no transportation expenses, roll out of bed and go to work simplicity. It starts off well, training is absolutely awesome, and overall I enjoyed the job itself having worked with the company for 2 years.

Cons

The pay vs. the amount of work once you realize how much the company actually pays the direct hires instead of the contracted workers (work from home or temp agency)
    The attendance policies that are designed to not factor in real life.
    HR is astonishingly incompetent

Be considerate of the workers that handle the heavy lifting. They have families and valid medical issues just like you.

disappointed

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time

Pros

work at home, appear to appreciate their csrs

Cons

the information changes depending on who you speak with

Convenient, Nice to work from home. You feel like you are constantly running on quicksand trying to hit a moving target.

Former Employee - Team Mentor
    Former Employee - Team Mentor

I worked at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Convenient, work from home, pay is good.

Cons

They were so focused on growth they didn't create a good foundation for middle managers. Horrible training for supervisors. They changed the reports we needed to create and some of the metrics we needed to measure a couple of times a day. No Joke. 10 hour days are typical but you only get paid for 10 (in a supervisory role) and only a few managers were able to actually accomplish everything we needed to. No training for managers on reports we were supposed to create, etc.

Get your foundation stable Stop chasing growth until you know you can sustain it.

It is difficult to move up unless you know someone

Current Employee - Virtual Agent in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Virtual Agent in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home, flexibility of hours, great support from coaches and Team Leads

Cons

It is difficult to move up without knowing someone. Every since Sykes took over Alpine Access things have changed more for the negative.

Make it easier to move up if you have been with the company for awhile. There needs to be better money paid out and more potential for raises.

Satisfactory, has a lot of room for improvement.

Current Employee - Tech Support

I have been working at Alpine Access part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, program (tech support) is a good fit for my skills. Account manager is very supportive and mostly available, client we work for is interesting and the customers are appreciative and fun to talk to. Small raise from client with newest job role (kind of a con, still vastly underpaid, 3rd role since program start).

Initial training was at minimum wage but my first up-training was paid at my rate at that time ($9.5) and my most recent up-training was paid at the new rate ($10/hr) before we'd even started taking those call types. OT was based off that rate as well, which was very generous of them, all things considering.

Application and onboarding process was very straightforward, seems like they'll hire anyone. Depending on the program they will provide you with a computer to work on. It was a downgrade from what I'm used to but I'm sure this is a pro for most people.

I'll talk about this in cons too but the customers have an opportunity to leave surveys, and while not required (yet) to get a certain number in a month it is really rewarding seeing their comments and knowing they appreciate you :)

Also I've seen a lot of reviews mention they don't calculate your pay correctly or compensate your for tech issues on their end. This has not been my experience at all. Payroll system is super easy to understand. Every penny is accounted for on my paychecks, my direct deposit comes a day early (yay!), and they've paid me every time their systems went down while I was working. (Con: Systems will go down while you're working).

Cons

LOW PAY, little to no advancement opportunities, can't transfer before you have done a year on your current program and they seem to dislike the idea of dual programs, incompetent team leads/trainers, you are treated as insignificant even if you are a top 5 performer, just to name a few. Small lunch/break windows that you only get if you work over 4 - 6 continuous hours. Having a 10 min split between two 3+ hour shifts will not net you a lunch, sorry.

You do have to get their approved equipment before you start working, which can be pricey and they don't reimburse for it. Training was mostly unorganized and I'm only so good at my job because of my previous experience and outside study. I would not expect to be able to perform my job properly with just the training they provide. This seems to be the norm based on other reviews.

Micro managing is a very real problem. Every little thing needs to be approved, which I've honestly stopped bothering with because it makes your calls longer (example: you have to ask for permission in the room to transfer a customer, TL is doing who knows what and never sees it, customer on line gets frustrated waiting for no reason, possible bad survey marks, AHT goes up, TL finally sees it but damage is done to metrics and then they wonder why call time is so high).

Surveys have a couple of questions about rating the client (in addition to rating you of course). One of these fields is counted in with your score and can bring it down, messing up your survey average for something you have no control over. Its hilarious how they think a 10 minute support call is supposed to change a person's entire perspective over what is usually a multiple year long relationship. Crazy.

Other things that other people mention but don't bother me so much: little health benefits, no scheduling flexibility, self paid background check.

Oh and the helpdesk people are awful here, google your issue if you need help. I think they're outsourced as well which should be less surprising than it is.

STOP hiring unqualified people. I get that you need a certain number to satisfy client needs but there are so many people I work with who obviously lied that they are tech savvy that we will more than likely lose this client. Then again, you can't attain quality people because the pay is crap. Also it is simply silly to hire new waves during low call vol times and have everyone scheduled for <5 hours/week for weeks at a time. While we're on the topic, the process of vetting people needs to be seriously improved upon. My program is less than a year old and there are still so many people who should have been fired by now. The only people who have left have done so voluntarily. People who do not have the capacity to perform drag the team down and they need to be identified and cleared out, period.

STOP being so CHEAP. The Work At Home aspect should not be a reason to pay as low as you do, and is not as big of a perk as you claim for those of us who don't even particularly like working from home. Accruing PTO should be something that happens automatically. I'm not saying to just give everyone PTO but let us work towards accruing it. Give ACTUAL raises to your top performers (for those who don't know, the current raise rate is +15 cents for every 3000 hours you work...yeah...). An email thanking me for my dedication is nice but will not pay my bills. Between Sykes and the client you guys can afford to add a couple dollars for the people who have helped your program and bottom line grow, especially since you seem to have the budget to hire so many other people. Doubly so since you don't have too many overhead costs for your employees in terms of phone/utility costs. Compensate your top agents fairly or they will leave/switch programs. This is happening right now solely for pay reasons and could be easily avoided.

The current 'rewards' program was very unattainable for a good part of my time here. I've only been able to reach over the required 335 hours one time and that was a rare case when OT had been approved. I think it would be helpful if you got with all your account managers to come up with a program that can be scaled to fit the individual program. I'm not sure how plentiful hours are on other programs but they can get really low on mine and thus make earning rewards non-existent. Unless of course this was your intention, then ignore my suggestion.

Team leads leave a lot to be desired and I'll just leave that at that. It would be nice if the ones assigned to a particular program had skills relating to that program and not just admin stuff. Like, that should be common sense and would be reallyyyy nice.

Please get a better email system or switch the whole company over to Outlook. The current one is a mess and its ridiculous that I have to log into the VPN just to check it.

Metrics are important but do not judge your employees solely by them, whether the metrics are good or bad.

Be more receptive to employee input. We are, after all, the ones working and fueling the process. The survey you guys put out recently was nice. There should be something similar at the program/team level, and the input should be taken seriously. I swear, coming up with our AHA team name was treated as more important than any other feedback I've given over the past year.

Current Employee - Tech Support

I have been working at Alpine Access full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Training peers make training fun

Cons

pay is low, not sure if 40 hours per week will be consistent

n/a

Legitimate work at home, but there are issues

I have been working at Alpine Access

Pros

Good working from home, somewhat flexible hours

Cons

Pay is substantially lower than other companies in the industry

Alpine Access Photos