Alpla

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
3.8

CEO

Great opportunity to advance in your career

Former Employee - Team Lead in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Alpla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great schedule, wonderful leadership and great opportunity for advancement

Cons

rotating shift doesn't work well with certain people

Listen to co-workers

Loved the job hated the production manager!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alpla

Pros

Alpla on a whole is a great company. They treated me like family for the first 3 years. I was able to advance within the company fairly quick. Most of the people you work with are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Like I said I loved my job, but I had to leave do to a very disrespectful and unprofessional production manager! If it were not for that person I would still be there. I will say that corporate let a lot of us down by letting this person stay in that position. You would think after a great number of us complained and finally quit they would have gotten the picture. I guess they didn't because it's still there!

Do some investigating, and look out for the people who are getting the job done.

Good company overall but with problems at the plant level

Current Employee - Quality in Raeford, NC
    Current Employee - Quality in Raeford, NC

I have been working at Alpla full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Alpla is a great company overall. They have good corporate culture and they care about their employees. The benefits are good and the pay is fair but not outstanding. There is a lot of support from corporate felt at the plant level and no one will refuse you help or advice if you just ask. It's a large international company but they still manage to make it feel welcoming and you will have the opportunity to meet other people in your same role at different plants which is good if you need help with a problem they may have encountered. They care about training and will send people to work with you or send you to corporate or another plant to train with someone too make sure you are comfortable in your role.

Cons

Situations are not consistent from plant to plant. Large plants will have more workers and more resources while smaller plants often have too much work for the few people there to accomplish. This results in people being overworked and over stressed. The maintenance manager at our plant worked regularly from 7am to 7 or 8pm and was often called in in the middle of the night and on weekends. It was ridiculous. All salary workers were equally abused. If you are hourly you are safe because the production manager doesn't want to pay overtime but if you are salary you are expected to work 50-60 hours a week. You will have NO work life balance and the prod manager does not care at all, just wants to get as much work out of you as possible. The lean production model can work in some situations but in newer plants still working through problems more people are needed to deal with all the issues. At larger, more established plants the situation is usually different. People get off on time and have less problems to deal with.

Be careful how much control you give to production managers and be aware of how they are treating their people. Increase the budget at smaller plants so that they can hire the employees needed to get the job done. People shouldn't have to go without breaks to keep the lines running. Give support to the plants that need it help reduce some of the stress that they are under which make them work ridiculous hours. Update the equipment that keeps breaking down and causing quality defects. It will be worth the investment in the long run to have efficient plants and happy employees.

Great place for those looking to grow within an organization and make a career for yourself.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at Alpla (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company that cares about growing you. They are not reluctant to invest in your development. Great company to invest in long term. They are averaging about one new plant per year in the US, so there is opportunity for advancement if you're willing to relocate. Good management team. Expect to work for your check (that's a pro for me). No handouts.

Cons

Fair amount of machine breakdowns but is improving. Between the machine issues and customer demand varying, planning can sometimes change last minute. Plant floor has no air conditioning so it gets hot.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Maintenance
    Current Employee - Maintenance

I have been working at Alpla full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Even though Alpla is a huge international company they very much care about their employees and take time to visit each facility and greet employees of all levels during visits. Good pay/benfits package, fair evaluation and pay raises based on evaluations. Oppertunity for transfer to facilities across the US with relocation assistance.

Cons

Not much is standardized from facility to facility or even department to department. So the rules tend to vary depentant on your location and department. Example one facility may require a degree for a managment position regardless of experenince where another facility may be accepting of a current employee with proven work capabilities whom is lacking the desired college education.

Treat all employees fairly across the board from entry level packers to department managers.

Lack of career path. They do not bet on young talent.

I have been working at Alpla

Pros

Company in growth. It is a leading company working for top multinationals.

Cons

There is not a feeling that they really invest in talent. The salaries are not great and there is not such a great effort to develop the people. Looks like they are ok with high rotation.

Invest more to develop the talent.

Great International company which enable to develop your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alpla full-time

Pros

You will be given great responsibilities. All employees have an entrepreneurial mindset. Constantly are offer international workshops at the HQ. This company share and its committed to maintain a great diverse workforce.
    What is more important is that all productions sites have the highest technology available within the business.

Cons

Not at all, just to add that german language its widely used.

Don't look for a career here.

Former Employee - Logistics in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Logistics in McDonough, GA

I worked at Alpla

Pros

Alpla is a European based company and as such they offer good benifit packages to thier employees.

Cons

Pay is poor compared to similar US companies. There are TOO MANY europeans (German/Austrian) involved in day to day operations that do not understand the American way of life - it's quite a clash. There is NO opportunity for career growth. Many times when upper level opportunities arise the call is put out to the "motherland" and your stuck with another dim witted european at the helm. The hourly employees are treated no better than house lackeys.

Clean house. Send your European "yes boys" back home. Start understanding that US citizens require respect.

its good to all freshers.

Current Employee - QA Supervisor in Solan (India)
    Current Employee - QA Supervisor in Solan (India)

I have been working at Alpla full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Better timing of give the salary.

Cons

HR management is not better for everyone.

cant do that.

Continuos improvement process leader

Current Employee - Continuos Improvement Leader in Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Continuos Improvement Leader in Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at Alpla full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great wok to practice lean manufacturing experience, this company has been working under this filosophy since several years ago, and the benefits in terms of profitability have been enormous.

Cons

There is no way to share all the knowledge around the world, so your experience get stock only on your region and the knowledge from other areas are not share also with you

great place to work in