Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great start, poor finish

Former Employee - Volunteer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Volunteer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for ALSAC when i first started back in late 2008. the company had a very attractive benefits. One of the best was the amount of time I was allowed to take off without it counting against me. There was ample opportunities to gain bonuses based on performance. Best of all, I had a sense of belonging to a family that not only cared about the well being of the kids for which funds were being raised for, but also it's employees.

Cons

Towards the end of me working for ALSAC a lot changed. There were new managers that came along who had no compassion for the mission of the hospital, let alone the employees of ALSAC. There is one manager who I can think of in particular who lacked tact when dealing with the employees. New data systems were implemented which resulted in plenty of confusion and unproductivity. We started to lose not only the perks like bonuses, raises, and time off without it counting against us; but we also started to lose loyal constituents. I went from being eligible for a .25 raise every six month reviewing period to only being eligible for an .8 raise for the entire year. I could no longer call in on short notice and use an occurrence, I know had to give a two-week notice if I wanted to be off, even if I used paid time off. Bonuses became extinct being that it was almost impossible to make quota, let alone exceed it. This was due to the new system that was being implemented which was poorly rolled out to say the least. We would call the same people sometimes several times in the same day, despite the people telling us no or not to call.

Happy employees make the best employees. Flexible time off is a perk that many people with illnesses like myself need. As long as the employee is meeting/excelling the quota, that shouldn't be a problem. Hire managers who really care and have tact when it comes to dealing with employees. Hire reputable, experienced data people for future system changes.

ALSAC is not St Jude

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Life style, great parties, all type of gadgets you need, great campus with onsite full gym.

Cons

ALSAC is not St Jude it's only the company that handles fund raising for St Jude Research Hospital. If you work for St. Jude you are the luckiest man on earth. If you work for ALSAC well, you know the rest. Here are few things I can share with you, dysfunctional teams, power hungry managers such as the one I worked with, no sense of security or belonging, they will throw you under the buss and see your head blowing and have no mercy or regret. I am not sure about other directors but the one I worked for is clueless. They just started using Agile Methodology and have no idea how to run things, PMs are ok but luck experience and knowledge. I have never hated to wake up in the morning and go to work until I worked for ALSAC. I am sure there are many people who are very happy in there but this is my personal experience with them.

Stop using employees as experiments for some made up roles, we are humans and we have families to feed, we are not your test dummies ok?

ALSAC offers an extremely rewarding and energetic work environment.

Current Employee - Happy to BE Here in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Happy to BE Here in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You cannot beat the mission. Every day you walk in to work knowing that you are making a difference in the life of a child. The environment at ALSAC is upbeat and challenging in a very positive way. There are so many opportunities for growth and advancement and the organization has proven over and over again that it rewards performers. The strong, visionary leadership at ALSAC starts at the top with the CEO who sets the tone and has brought so many positive changes in his tenure along with great energy and vision. I talk to enough people about their jobs to know that I am quite fortunate to work for a great employer like ALSAC. I cannot imagine working anywhere else and hope to retire here.

Cons

I honestly cannot complain about anything. There are generous policies around benefits, paid vacation and other bonus days off. Every day is casual day at work (unless you have a meeting with a volunteer or sponsor for instance) and growth has been the norm for the 50+ year history of this organization.

Keep on rocking! This organization is on an amazing trajectory in a crowded space and there are even greater days ahead in my estimation. The leadership team is visionary and strategic while also possessing a people-first mentality at all times.

Great place to intern.

Current Employee - Marketing-Brand Strategy in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Marketing-Brand Strategy in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission and vision. Working and being around the kids is fantastic and so rewarding. Love coming to work knowing that I am helping make a difference. Wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

Cons

All projects finished in short amount of time, sometimes not enough work. Sometimes things spring up last minute and you're expected to finish the task without all the facts.. or any.

Fantastic mission, poor leadership, stressful work, lower than average pay

Current Employee - ITS in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - ITS in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place to gain some experience, build up your resume, and move on. It's a very challenging job, lots of responsibilities and tasks to handle at any one time. We do have casual dress every day, and food is catered frequently (although it's usually from Jason's Deli, Panera Bread, or Lenny's). Positive upbeat spirit most of the time, the cause can't be beat. Your work matters.

Cons

The amount of work can be exhausting. We are expected to work nights and weekends, for no additional PTO or rewards. Everyone does the jobs of multiple people, and leadership does not do a good job of providing consistent direction. Plans change frequently and with little notice, impacting the folks on the lower rungs of the ladder. Emergencies constantly.

Elevation is very difficult, promotion is unlikely unless you are liked by the right people. Work/life balance is very heavily skewed towards work, with little consideration to personal or family time. Pay is horrendous, far lower than industry standard for every position here. NO MATERNITY LEAVE

Money is blown here on the stupidest things, such as iPhone 5Ss, iPad 4s and Mini's, dual 22'' monitors, wireless mice and keyboards, and expensive heavy duty laptops with SSDs for almost everyone. Meanwhile, the actual salaries and benefits are poor so money is being spent in the wrong areas and is very discouraging.

Not many full time positions filled anymore, but we have had a large influx of Academic Interns (free labor) and temps/contractors, who are payed a small fortune to fix problems, then they take their knowledge with them when they leave. Documentation is poor, many employees don't know how to do their jobs because the turnaround is so rapid and no one stays to get into the swing of things or because processes constantly change. Very frustrating.

Get a grip on the spending here. Do less events in order to have the time and resources to make each one better. The workers here are spread out far too thin, and everyone is far too stressed out. You brag about being a 900 million dollar charity, and you're willing to sacrifice your workers' morale and personal time to make it a billion dollar charity. This is an unsustainable business model. Turnaround is very high, because people know they can make more money by doing less elsewhere, and have a life meanwhile. Provide incentives to retain employees besides ramming the mission down their throat. Like maternity leave for one. This is not a family oriented charity as you like to pretend. It's a top-heavy morale-killing beast that chews up good workers and spits them out.

An entire company full of corporate cheerleaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Benefits and coworkers are above average. Pay and hours can be great, if you're careful. They've taken steps to address pay-rate concerns long-time employees have had, but as a recent employee I haven't experienced this.

Accommodating management, Monday-Friday casual dress, and awesome facilities make for a pretty great place to work.

Cons

The cheer leading gets old, and they'll quickly make you feel out of place if you actually are there 'just for a paycheck'. This is intentional. You have to play along to get the most out of the job, and 25% of your coworkers are too. The rest have actually drunk the kool-aid.

Upper management moves around like they're playing musical chairs, and there's no rhyme or reason to it half the time. The rest of us just get to kinda churn about along with them.

Great Mission. Misguided leadership.

Former Employee - Manager Level in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Manager Level in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Mission. Great, dedicated co-workers. Best benefits package. Resources. On-site Gym.

Cons

Top-heavy executive leadership strings along poor-performing employees while creating nearly insurmountable, tedious hurdles for strong employees to be promoted. Endless layers of approval bring major initiatives to a halt. The best employees go elsewhere instead of waiting for promised promotions that never come. The only folks who stick it out are locals since they have nowhere else to go.

Promotion criteria won't solve your weak manager problems. Show some courage and get rid of the folks who aren't pulling their own weight. CEO's only focus is making this a billion dollar charity when the hospital they fund can't even spend all of the money they are raising now. Free popcorn and 50-cent sodas aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Too political, no reward for good ideas

Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Brand Marketing in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cheap vending machines, flexible hours if you need them

Cons

Management opportunities aren't based on what you know or how good you are at your job but rather how you play the corporate game. The brightest people leave.

Stop rewarding people for keeping their mouths shut. Reward them for voicing good ideas.

Working for wonderful mission but not wonderful leadership

Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

Meaningful mission, purpose-centered work, talented colleagues, stimulating work

Cons

Leadership and direction that changes constantly,very political and egos sometimes get in the way of doing the best work, leadership does not like to hear about problems or solutions (people that raise issues are often labeled disloyal), Board very tactical and involved in day to day work versus oversight and governance, micromanaged/employees not empowered, very little work/life balance and respect for personal lives/space

I liked the other reviewers Organized Chaos

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great Mission the work is all for the children who really need it

Cons

Out of the blue - Moving in all directions strategies

Create working groups. Where is the on boarding? Reduce the stranglehold HR and Legal have

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos