Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
3.2

CEO

Supporting great mission, but easy to get burnt out

Current Employee - Senior Event Marketing Representative, Bilingual
    Current Employee - Senior Event Marketing Representative, Bilingual

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to find the best charity out there. Great with comp days and listening to the employees. Senior management is very supportive and cares about employees.

Cons

Depending on which region you are in, some are better than others. Bad management can make a huge difference in the length of employee turnover. Easy to get burnt out because it can be a tiring an emotional job. Although the mission is great. They rely on it to keep us going.

Complete cost of living pay increases more often and to regional magnet, listen to your reps, they are the ones doing the ground work so they truly know what they are talking about.

Great start, poor finish

Former Employee - Volunteer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Volunteer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for ALSAC when i first started back in late 2008. the company had a very attractive benefits. One of the best was the amount of time I was allowed to take off without it counting against me. There was ample opportunities to gain bonuses based on performance. Best of all, I had a sense of belonging to a family that not only cared about the well being of the kids for which funds were being raised for, but also it's employees.

Cons

Towards the end of me working for ALSAC a lot changed. There were new managers that came along who had no compassion for the mission of the hospital, let alone the employees of ALSAC. There is one manager who I can think of in particular who lacked tact when dealing with the employees. New data systems were implemented which resulted in plenty of confusion and unproductivity. We started to lose not only the perks like bonuses, raises, and time off without it counting against us; but we also started to lose loyal constituents. I went from being eligible for a .25 raise every six month reviewing period to only being eligible for an .8 raise for the entire year. I could no longer call in on short notice and use an occurrence, I know had to give a two-week notice if I wanted to be off, even if I used paid time off. Bonuses became extinct being that it was almost impossible to make quota, let alone exceed it. This was due to the new system that was being implemented which was poorly rolled out to say the least. We would call the same people sometimes several times in the same day, despite the people telling us no or not to call.

Happy employees make the best employees. Flexible time off is a perk that many people with illnesses like myself need. As long as the employee is meeting/excelling the quota, that shouldn't be a problem. Hire managers who really care and have tact when it comes to dealing with employees. Hire reputable, experienced data people for future system changes.

Incredible job for skill development and training in multiple environments

Current Employee - Event Marketing Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Event Marketing Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth in striving to acheive work-life balance; incredible mission to work for and the presence of local patient families allows the mission to remain close. National office offers incredible support to regional staff. One of the most memorable jobs I will have due to the many things I have learned while here.

Cons

Work hours are very extensive, with a lot of travel for night and weekend events; expected to take the hit for any issues that arise, even if they are beyond your control and not your doing.

ALSAC is not St Jude

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN

Pros

Life style, great parties, all type of gadgets you need, great campus with onsite full gym.

Cons

ALSAC is not St Jude it's only the company that handles fund raising for St Jude Research Hospital. If you work for St. Jude you are the luckiest man on earth. If you work for ALSAC well, you know the rest. Here are few things I can share with you, dysfunctional teams, power hungry managers such as the one I worked with, no sense of security or belonging, they will throw you under the buss and see your head blowing and have no mercy or regret. I am not sure about other directors but the one I worked for is clueless. They just started using Agile Methodology and have no idea how to run things, PMs are ok but luck experience and knowledge. I have never hated to wake up in the morning and go to work until I worked for ALSAC. I am sure there are many people who are very happy in there but this is my personal experience with them.

Stop using employees as experiments for some made up roles, we are humans and we have families to feed, we are not your test dummies ok?

Poor Leadership = Poor Culture

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

mission is second to none

Cons

CEO leads reactively, pits leaders and teams against each other. Has become an organization full of distrust and dishonesty. Too much money is spent on insignificant things that don't further the mission. Too much time is spent on egos and power versus doing the right thing. There is literally no work life balance although leadership says there is. Hypocrisy abounds.

Stay the course, be responsible, foster discussion in a respectful way versus a destructive way. Start listening to middle management, you might learn something. Learn from the high turnover.

Amazing organization

Former Employee - Event Marketing Intern
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Intern

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the most amazing non-profit organizations, $.81 of every dollar goes to the cause, much more than other organizations that are raising awareness.

Cons

The internship was sadly unpaid.

ALSAC offers an extremely rewarding and energetic work environment.

Current Employee - Happy to BE Here in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Happy to BE Here in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You cannot beat the mission. Every day you walk in to work knowing that you are making a difference in the life of a child. The environment at ALSAC is upbeat and challenging in a very positive way. There are so many opportunities for growth and advancement and the organization has proven over and over again that it rewards performers. The strong, visionary leadership at ALSAC starts at the top with the CEO who sets the tone and has brought so many positive changes in his tenure along with great energy and vision. I talk to enough people about their jobs to know that I am quite fortunate to work for a great employer like ALSAC. I cannot imagine working anywhere else and hope to retire here.

Cons

I honestly cannot complain about anything. There are generous policies around benefits, paid vacation and other bonus days off. Every day is casual day at work (unless you have a meeting with a volunteer or sponsor for instance) and growth has been the norm for the 50+ year history of this organization.

Keep on rocking! This organization is on an amazing trajectory in a crowded space and there are even greater days ahead in my estimation. The leadership team is visionary and strategic while also possessing a people-first mentality at all times.

Heartwarming Internship!

Pros

Friendly atmosphere with everyone working towards one goal. There was several large fundraising events to gain experience. My internship was very hands on and I got what I put into it.

Cons

Wish there was more training.

it is a good place.

Former Employee - Liaison
    Former Employee - Liaison

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are nice

Cons

You have to work long hours

Great place to work right out of college!

Current Employee - Event Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Event Marketing Representative

Pros

Perfect first job post college for anyone looking for professional experience! Meet wonderful people and work for an incredible cause that motivates you to wake up every morning!

Cons

A lot of travel, and it becomes old and exhausting. Work-life balance is hard to maintain when you are working nights, weekends, some holidays, and spending nights away from home traveling.

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos