Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
CEO

Pros
  • Great mission is the driving force for all things (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place to gain some experience, build up your resume, and move on (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance - depending on your manager you either have it or you don't (in 6 reviews)

• We are expected to work nights and weekends, for no additional PTO or rewards (in 2 reviews)

1. HR

Former Employee - Senior Director, Human Resources in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Human Resources in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great executive leadership. They care about the employees. CEO and CAO is the best executive leadership team I have ever worked for. They are a rare breed. They take the time to listen to their employees from individual contributors to executive levels.

Cons

Lack of collaboration, camaraderie and professional maturity amongst management. Cultural awareness will take the organization to the next level. They are well on their way to addressing these areas

Advice to Management

Leadership training for mid to first line managers

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Aug 28, 2015 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comments and suggestions as we aim to make ALSAC a great place to work. Training, development, coaching and mentoring are all necessary for employee growth and all are offered here ... More

2. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Intern in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great experience and wonderful opportunity! Was given a lot of responsibility and ability to choose what areas I wanted to focus on.

Cons

Nothing - it was great!

3. Great cause; poor work-life balance

Former Employee - Event Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Representative

Pros

There is not greater charity - it's a phenomenal group and they are really achieving remarkable results. Lots of opportunity to dabble in event planning opportunities

Cons

Work life balance is unheard of; field workers were underpaid (but has since changed, so I've heard); expectations of your personal time dedicated to work are unrealistic and leave employees drained.

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Aug 7, 2015 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comments. ALSAC leadership is committed to making the organization a great place to work. We know how hard employees work for our mission and to raise the funds necessary to ... More

5. Senior CSR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cordova, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cordova, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to help sick children

Cons

The company Micro manages you to the point where it is not enjoyable. Stress level is very high

Advice to Management

If you find a good and honest employee, let them do their job. Don't run off the good help

6. Ammmaaaaazzzziiiiiinnnnnnnggggggg!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, ALSAC/ St. Jude is the best place that I have worked. The organization treats employees fairly (in my opinion). There is a lot of young talent so there are definitely going to be bumps and bruises but we're still successful and it's hard to think of a better place to spend my days or a more worthy cause.

Cons

There is some degree to professional immaturity. Career growth is still very hard but it's a great place to learn.

7. Great place for contractors

Pros

You don't feel any difference at work (most departments) between contractors and full time employees.

Cons

I personally don't have any bad experience working at this place.

8. Keeps getting better. Keep it up!

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great people who put their heart and soul in their work. A lot of attention to detail when it comes to employment satisfaction and appreciation. Can't beat working for an organization that is not all about making a small number of people wealthy like the ones you find in the corporate world. Instead, the mission here is to help a large number of children from being robbed by life threatening diseases.

Cons

Regardless of the environment, if people are involved there will be some politics. A lot has been done to provide employee driven career growth but opportunities aren't always made available no matter how compelling your achievements, performance, and fit are for a promotion.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture of continuous improvement and if something isn't working, admit it to your employees and try another approach and not turn a blind eye to feedback. In the lower ranks, frivolous mistakes get severe scolding while upper management doesn't always get to hear, want to hear, or want to admit when they make mistakes. When you think you can do no wrong, how do you really know what you are doing right?

9. IT

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the most noble cause possible

Cons

Some workers there have been there too long and expect lavish perks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

10. n/a

Pros

Great atmosphere and well organized fundraising events

Cons

Requires a lot of overtime work for events

Advice to Management

n/a

11. Development Advisor

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission. The company culture is great. It truly is one of the top companies in the country to work for.

Cons

No downsides to address. They are a top line company

Advice to Management

Development opportunities for advancement should be clearly defined

RSS Feed </> Embed