Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

3.5
CEO

1. Call Center

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

Wonderful Mission to work for, lots of opportunity to grow and advance.

Cons

Work/life balance can be challenging.

2. Field Operations

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

Very rewarding organization to work for

Cons

I have not had any negative experiences in my work at ALSAC

Dead-End Job

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is fantastic and knowing people care so much about the children at the hospital is priceless.
    And the benefits are great!

Cons

I don’t see any opportunity for growth. It is extremely difficult to move to other departments even if you have been working at ALSAC for years. An everyday task seems like a burden, not an achievement. I feel I am stuck at a workplace that offers no appreciation or acknowledgement for your work.
    I also believe most of the people working in other departments are not given the opportunity to move up is because there is "Cliques" across the board in ALSAC.

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Apr 1, 2015Vice President of Communications

Thank you for your comments. Training and professional development are an important part of our ALSAC culture, and we offer a variety of opportunities for our staff to engage in professional ... More

5. A rewarding mission.

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

Great cause. Very progressive non-profit. Great employees.

Cons

A little bureaucratic.

6. Wonderful Internship - No Critiques

Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The culture within this company is outstanding and the internship itself has been rated the best in the nation!
    I highly recommend this internship especially those who wish to get their foot in the door. The company itself is highly respected and you can truly say that each day you work there, you are making a difference in a child's life.

Cons

I had no issues while working at ALSAC - St. Jude. Working in a field office gave you the opportunity to focus on building relationships within the area, and the freedom to explore a variety of fundraising options.

Advice to Management

Management really focuses on making sure you are getting the most out of your experience, giving you a variety of tasks in order to help you find your niche.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

You cannot beat the mission. Going to work across the street from the hospital, and where children's lives are saved, is so very rewarding. The work is trying at times but Leadership understands and offers great benefits and sometimes even an extra day off.

Cons

There is a heavy work load.

Advice to Management

None.

8. Excellent Entry Level Donor Services Rep

Former Employee - Donor Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Donor Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Excellent cause: St. Jude is an ***amazing*** place. Ground-breaking research, world-class hospital, any child's doctor can get a free consultation, etc. I can easily go into St. Jude Cheerleader mode, years after I've stopped working there.
    - Good compensation.
    - Felt listened to, even by CEO during quarterly meetings.

Cons

- Repetitive: this was mostly the nature of the job (donor rep, answering phone calls), processing donations, changing addresses/phone numbers, etc. If you have a college degree (like I did), it became mundane very quickly
    - Changes occured slowly: especially in high-tech, internet era, it was frustrating when donor requests took weeks to fulfill (stop mailings, processing refunds, directing a donation to a certain program)
    - Not very streamlined - if a donor called about a certain program, I had to direct it to another department and follow up with the donor in a few days.
    - Not very flexible on schedule

Advice to Management

- More advancement/training opportunities would have been helpful, especially for PM shifts.

9. Great!

Former Employee - Development Officer
    Former Employee - Development Officer

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great fundraising team and nice management.

Cons

Need to do events on weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Incomparable mission, strong culture, deep bureaucracy

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

Really smart, passionate, and fun employee base. Hardest working collective of non-profit fundraisers I've ever witnessed. And despite being a nearly-billion dollar fundraising organization, ALSAC maintains much of its grass-roots, familial feel. Truly an exceptional mission with excellent brand recognition, donor loyalty, and public support. A really rewarding place to work, primarily due to the friendly and talented workforce.

Cons

Seemingly all decisions are made at the senior leadership level. The result is an organization-wide "hurry up and wait" mentality. Even the most mundane efforts require extensive memos, pitches, and multiple levels of leadership approval. [For example, hiring at the entry level often requires as many as six interviews and up to SVP approval.] Incredibly aggressive fundraising expectations, often with inappropriately low staffing levels to execute.

Advice to Management

Impart more trust in managers to make decisions for their program areas and teams. Provide feedback and deal directly with people/issues, rather than instituting blanket organization-wide policies that cater to the exception rather than the rule. Set reasonable expectations for growth, or staff appropriately to generate the desired results.

11. No growth opp

Former Employee - Event Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Event Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

working for a good cause

Cons

no growth opportunity
    Wasted money at fundraising department

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos