Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
www.stjude.org Memphis, TN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital – Memphis – “St. Jude Campus”

An entire company full of corporate cheerleaders

Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and coworkers are above average. Pay and hours can be great, if you're careful. They've taken steps to address pay-rate concerns long-time employees have had, but as a recent employee I haven't experienced this.

Accommodating management, Monday-Friday casual dress, and awesome facilities make for a pretty great place to work.

ConsThe cheer leading gets old, and they'll quickly make you feel out of place if you actually are there 'just for a paycheck'. This is intentional. You have to play along to get the most out of the job, and 25% of your coworkers are too. The rest have actually drunk the kool-aid.

Upper management moves around like they're playing musical chairs, and there's no rhyme or reason to it half the time. The rest of us just get to kinda churn about along with them.

Great Mission. Misguided leadership.

Manager Level (Former Employee)

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

ProsMission. Great, dedicated co-workers. Best benefits package. Resources. On-site Gym.

ConsTop-heavy executive leadership strings along poor-performing employees while creating nearly insurmountable, tedious hurdles for strong employees to be promoted. Endless layers of approval bring major initiatives to a halt. The best employees go elsewhere instead of waiting for promised promotions that never come. The only folks who stick it out are locals since they have nowhere else to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotion criteria won't solve your weak manager problems. Show some courage and get rid of the folks who aren't pulling their own weight. CEO's only focus is making this a billion dollar charity when the hospital they fund can't even spend all of the money they are raising now. Free popcorn and 50-cent sodas aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Incredibly exhausting, challenging, but fulfilling position

Event Marketing Representative (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe mission is unbeatable and the skills you gain are immeasurable. A company car is also a bonus. When you work a million hours, you'll get a "comp" day here and there. Supported my personal growth and development as long as it didn't interfere with current work load.

ConsYou work like a dog. Always asked to do more with less. You're expected to work many nights and weekends. Culture of the company depends on the region where you work. Some were great, others not so much. Career growth in the field is incredibly limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo management training before people become managers.

Very positive experience

Academic Intern (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery hands on and a great group of people. There are opportunities to learn a lot about the process for each of the events in their portfolio while you're there.

ConsIf you don't love working outside the 9 to 5, event marketing is not for you.

Too political, no reward for good ideas

Brand Marketing (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

ProsCheap vending machines, flexible hours if you need them

ConsManagement opportunities aren't based on what you know or how good you are at your job but rather how you play the corporate game. The brightest people leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding people for keeping their mouths shut. Reward them for voicing good ideas.

Too political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

ProsFlexible work hours and powerful mission

ConsTerrible morale; way too political. They lock out current employees from advancement.

Working for wonderful mission but not wonderful leadership

Manager (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

ProsMeaningful mission, purpose-centered work, talented colleagues, stimulating work

ConsLeadership and direction that changes constantly,very political and egos sometimes get in the way of doing the best work, leadership does not like to hear about problems or solutions (people that raise issues are often labeled disloyal), Board very tactical and involved in day to day work versus oversight and governance, micromanaged/employees not empowered, very little work/life balance and respect for personal lives/space

I liked the other reviewers Organized Chaos

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

ProsGreat Mission the work is all for the children who really need it

ConsOut of the blue - Moving in all directions strategies

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate working groups. Where is the on boarding? Reduce the stranglehold HR and Legal have

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

ProsWorking for a great cause / charity
Excellent food in hospital cafeteria
On campus gym is a plus

ConsOffice politics can be a distraction

Orchestrated chaos

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe mission
Some very nice, good people
Culture is changing for the better
Working on the St Jude campus - including access to indoor and outdoor walking paths, an amazing cafeteria, and a wellness center (i.e., gym)

(Note: This review is specific to the fundraising organization - ALSAC. By all accounts, St Jude has an entirely different culture.)

ConsSilos within leadership
Neither clear roles nor accountability for decisions in many cases
Frequent shifts as the organization tries to find a structure that supports its objectives
Organizational and individual talent needed for success is allowed (sometimes encouraged) to leave while those commonly agreed to be impediments are retained
Poor execution and performance is not proactively addressed - coaching, mentoring and day-to-day development is lacking. Lack of repercussions for ongoing 'slacking'. Continued approval of perks to reward poor performance
Bureaucratic, non-valued added processes (think cut and paste documents required in abundance without regard for their usefulness) abound
Poor communication to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop relying on the mission to overshadow systemic problems within the organization
Retain and reward high performers, and remove poor performers
Continue the improvements that are underway - and increase the pace of change

Worked for Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital reviews and ratings. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital employees.