Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

www.stjude.org

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital – Memphis – “St. Jude Campus”

Great place to work right out of college!

Event Marketing Representative (Current Employee)

ProsPerfect first job post college for anyone looking for professional experience! Meet wonderful people and work for an incredible cause that motivates you to wake up every morning!

ConsA lot of travel, and it becomes old and exhausting. Work-life balance is hard to maintain when you are working nights, weekends, some holidays, and spending nights away from home traveling.

Great place to intern.

Marketing-Brand Strategy (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGreat mission and vision. Working and being around the kids is fantastic and so rewarding. Love coming to work knowing that I am helping make a difference. Wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

ConsAll projects finished in short amount of time, sometimes not enough work. Sometimes things spring up last minute and you're expected to finish the task without all the facts.. or any.

Working at NEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMission - the hospital does amazing work!

ConsEven though you continue to out perform the previous year it's never good enough. Revenue goals randomly handed to you with no strategy, analysis on behind them. Just expected to deliver and figure it out. Pervasive lack of trust throughout organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to trust and LISTEN to your employees - they are some of the best out there and know what they are doing. Stop second guessing and putting up barriers for success.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic mission, poor leadership, stressful work, lower than average pay

ITS (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsThis is a great place to gain some experience, build up your resume, and move on. It's a very challenging job, lots of responsibilities and tasks to handle at any one time. We do have casual dress every day, and food is catered frequently (although it's usually from Jason's Deli, Panera Bread, or Lenny's). Positive upbeat spirit most of the time, the cause can't be beat. Your work matters.

ConsThe amount of work can be exhausting. We are expected to work nights and weekends, for no additional PTO or rewards. Everyone does the jobs of multiple people, and leadership does not do a good job of providing consistent direction. Plans change frequently and with little notice, impacting the folks on the lower rungs of the ladder. Emergencies constantly.

Elevation is very difficult, promotion is unlikely unless you are liked by the right people. Work/life balance is very heavily skewed towards work, with little consideration to personal or family time. Pay is horrendous, far lower than industry standard for every position here. NO MATERNITY LEAVE

Money is blown here on the stupidest things, such as iPhone 5Ss, iPad 4s and Mini's, dual 22'' monitors, wireless mice and keyboards, and expensive heavy duty laptops with SSDs for almost everyone. Meanwhile, the actual salaries and benefits are poor so money is being spent in the wrong areas and is very discouraging.

Not many full time positions filled anymore, but we have had a large influx of Academic Interns (free labor) and temps/contractors, who are payed a small fortune to fix problems, then they take their knowledge with them when they leave. Documentation is poor, many employees don't know how to do their jobs because the turnaround is so rapid and no one stays to get into the swing of things or because processes constantly change. Very frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on the spending here. Do less events in order to have the time and resources to make each one better. The workers here are spread out far too thin, and everyone is far too stressed out. You brag about being a 900 million dollar charity, and you're willing to sacrifice your workers' morale and personal time to make it a billion dollar charity. This is an unsustainable business model. Turnaround is very high, because people know they can make more money by doing less elsewhere, and have a life meanwhile. Provide incentives to retain employees besides ramming the mission down their throat. Like maternity leave for one. This is not a family oriented charity as you like to pretend. It's a top-heavy morale-killing beast that chews up good workers and spits them out.

Great cause; challenging position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission is the driving force for all things.

ConsPotentially tough hours based on event schedule

Amazing organization but down right exhausting

Event Marketing Representative (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing hospital!!! Cannot say enough good things.
    Great opportunities to travel throughout the country, see the actual hospital yearly in Memphis, TN.
    Company car and travel expenses are paid for. Personal miles on car you pay out of pocket.

ConsWork-Life Balance - depending on your manager you either have it or you don't.
    Promotions - you don't get promoted unless you move offices if the position in the next step is taken. Career growth is extremely limited.
    Hours are insane - you work with college students that have no sense of travel time, etc. You are expected to work nights, weekend, sometimes holidays. You quickly burn out with this position. I wouldn't stay in this company for over 3 years if positions do not open within your office and you are not willing to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the event marketing reps. They are your ticket to success and could prove to be some of your best managers since they started from the bottom. You need to support them better and encourage more of a work-life balance initiative.

An entire company full of corporate cheerleaders

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsBenefits and coworkers are above average. Pay and hours can be great, if you're careful. They've taken steps to address pay-rate concerns long-time employees have had, but as a recent employee I haven't experienced this.

Accommodating management, Monday-Friday casual dress, and awesome facilities make for a pretty great place to work.

ConsThe cheer leading gets old, and they'll quickly make you feel out of place if you actually are there 'just for a paycheck'. This is intentional. You have to play along to get the most out of the job, and 25% of your coworkers are too. The rest have actually drunk the kool-aid.

Upper management moves around like they're playing musical chairs, and there's no rhyme or reason to it half the time. The rest of us just get to kinda churn about along with them.

Too political, no reward for good ideas

Brand Marketing (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsCheap vending machines, flexible hours if you need them

ConsManagement opportunities aren't based on what you know or how good you are at your job but rather how you play the corporate game. The brightest people leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding people for keeping their mouths shut. Reward them for voicing good ideas.

Too political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work hours and powerful mission

ConsTerrible morale; way too political. They lock out current employees from advancement.

Incredibly exhausting, challenging, but fulfilling position

Event Marketing Representative (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe mission is unbeatable and the skills you gain are immeasurable. A company car is also a bonus. When you work a million hours, you'll get a "comp" day here and there. Supported my personal growth and development as long as it didn't interfere with current work load.

ConsYou work like a dog. Always asked to do more with less. You're expected to work many nights and weekends. Culture of the company depends on the region where you work. Some were great, others not so much. Career growth in the field is incredibly limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo management training before people become managers.

Worked for Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Contribute to the Community!