Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

You cannot beat the mission. Going to work across the street from the hospital, and where children's lives are saved, is so very rewarding. The work is trying at times but Leadership understands and offers great benefits and sometimes even an extra day off.

Cons

There is a heavy work load.

None.

Excellent Entry Level Donor Services Rep

Former Employee - Donor Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Donor Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Excellent cause: St. Jude is an ***amazing*** place. Ground-breaking research, world-class hospital, any child's doctor can get a free consultation, etc. I can easily go into St. Jude Cheerleader mode, years after I've stopped working there.
    - Good compensation.
    - Felt listened to, even by CEO during quarterly meetings.

Cons

- Repetitive: this was mostly the nature of the job (donor rep, answering phone calls), processing donations, changing addresses/phone numbers, etc. If you have a college degree (like I did), it became mundane very quickly
    - Changes occured slowly: especially in high-tech, internet era, it was frustrating when donor requests took weeks to fulfill (stop mailings, processing refunds, directing a donation to a certain program)
    - Not very streamlined - if a donor called about a certain program, I had to direct it to another department and follow up with the donor in a few days.
    - Not very flexible on schedule

- More advancement/training opportunities would have been helpful, especially for PM shifts.

Great!

Former Employee - Development Officer
    Former Employee - Development Officer

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great fundraising team and nice management.

Cons

Need to do events on weekends.

Keep up the good work.

No growth opp

Former Employee - Event Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Event Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

working for a good cause

Cons

no growth opportunity
    Wasted money at fundraising department

Incomparable mission, strong culture, deep bureaucracy

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Pros

Really smart, passionate, and fun employee base. Hardest working collective of non-profit fundraisers I've ever witnessed. And despite being a nearly-billion dollar fundraising organization, ALSAC maintains much of its grass-roots, familial feel. Truly an exceptional mission with excellent brand recognition, donor loyalty, and public support. A really rewarding place to work, primarily due to the friendly and talented workforce.

Cons

Seemingly all decisions are made at the senior leadership level. The result is an organization-wide "hurry up and wait" mentality. Even the most mundane efforts require extensive memos, pitches, and multiple levels of leadership approval. [For example, hiring at the entry level often requires as many as six interviews and up to SVP approval.] Incredibly aggressive fundraising expectations, often with inappropriately low staffing levels to execute.

Impart more trust in managers to make decisions for their program areas and teams. Provide feedback and deal directly with people/issues, rather than instituting blanket organization-wide policies that cater to the exception rather than the rule. Set reasonable expectations for growth, or staff appropriately to generate the desired results.

ALSAC is not St Jude

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Life style, great parties, all type of gadgets you need, great campus with onsite full gym.

Cons

ALSAC is not St Jude it's only the company that handles fund raising for St Jude Research Hospital. If you work for St. Jude you are the luckiest man on earth. If you work for ALSAC well, you know the rest. Here are few things I can share with you, dysfunctional teams, power hungry managers such as the one I worked with, no sense of security or belonging, they will throw you under the buss and see your head blowing and have no mercy or regret. I am not sure about other directors but the one I worked for is clueless. They just started using Agile Methodology and have no idea how to run things, PMs are ok but luck experience and knowledge. I have never hated to wake up in the morning and go to work until I worked for ALSAC. I am sure there are many people who are very happy in there but this is my personal experience with them.

Stop using employees as experiments for some made up roles, we are humans and we have families to feed, we are not your test dummies ok?

Poor Leadership = Poor Culture

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

mission is second to none

Cons

CEO leads reactively, pits leaders and teams against each other. Has become an organization full of distrust and dishonesty. Too much money is spent on insignificant things that don't further the mission. Too much time is spent on egos and power versus doing the right thing. There is literally no work life balance although leadership says there is. Hypocrisy abounds.

Stay the course, be responsible, foster discussion in a respectful way versus a destructive way. Start listening to middle management, you might learn something. Learn from the high turnover.

Supporting great mission, but easy to get burnt out

Current Employee - Senior Event Marketing Representative, Bilingual
    Current Employee - Senior Event Marketing Representative, Bilingual

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to find the best charity out there. Great with comp days and listening to the employees. Senior management is very supportive and cares about employees.

Cons

Depending on which region you are in, some are better than others. Bad management can make a huge difference in the length of employee turnover. Easy to get burnt out because it can be a tiring an emotional job. Although the mission is great. They rely on it to keep us going.

Complete cost of living pay increases more often and to regional magnet, listen to your reps, they are the ones doing the ground work so they truly know what they are talking about.

Great start, poor finish

Former Employee - Volunteer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Volunteer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for ALSAC when i first started back in late 2008. the company had a very attractive benefits. One of the best was the amount of time I was allowed to take off without it counting against me. There was ample opportunities to gain bonuses based on performance. Best of all, I had a sense of belonging to a family that not only cared about the well being of the kids for which funds were being raised for, but also it's employees.

Cons

Towards the end of me working for ALSAC a lot changed. There were new managers that came along who had no compassion for the mission of the hospital, let alone the employees of ALSAC. There is one manager who I can think of in particular who lacked tact when dealing with the employees. New data systems were implemented which resulted in plenty of confusion and unproductivity. We started to lose not only the perks like bonuses, raises, and time off without it counting against us; but we also started to lose loyal constituents. I went from being eligible for a .25 raise every six month reviewing period to only being eligible for an .8 raise for the entire year. I could no longer call in on short notice and use an occurrence, I know had to give a two-week notice if I wanted to be off, even if I used paid time off. Bonuses became extinct being that it was almost impossible to make quota, let alone exceed it. This was due to the new system that was being implemented which was poorly rolled out to say the least. We would call the same people sometimes several times in the same day, despite the people telling us no or not to call.

Happy employees make the best employees. Flexible time off is a perk that many people with illnesses like myself need. As long as the employee is meeting/excelling the quota, that shouldn't be a problem. Hire managers who really care and have tact when it comes to dealing with employees. Hire reputable, experienced data people for future system changes.

Incredible job for skill development and training in multiple environments

Current Employee - Event Marketing Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Event Marketing Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Growth in striving to acheive work-life balance; incredible mission to work for and the presence of local patient families allows the mission to remain close. National office offers incredible support to regional staff. One of the most memorable jobs I will have due to the many things I have learned while here.

Cons

Work hours are very extensive, with a lot of travel for night and weekend events; expected to take the hit for any issues that arise, even if they are beyond your control and not your doing.

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos