Alsco
www.alsco.com Salt Lake City, UT 5000+ Employees

Alsco Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Kevin Steiner

Everything and more than was described to me during the interview.

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity for growth, steady employment and great group of people to work with. From Jim Divers in Salt Lake to the janitor at our branch. Alsco takes their time with the hiring process and they genuinely care about their employees.

ConsThe Unions! Union members get caught up in the whole "me, me, me" and forget that we are all (management and owners included) in the business together. Consider having end of day production/service meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with union write ups. Set precedent and follow through.

Feeder Folder/Flat Worker

Feeder Folder (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFast paced, benefits, 401k,and union

ConsPay is low, diversity is a disadvantage, coworkers are rude and disrespectful

Advice to Senior ManagementHRM needs a serious upgrade.

High commissions, low salary; company culture lacking

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsCommissions can be very large; never had any difficulty being paid for what I sold (no game playing by management)

Consthis is a "what have you done for me lately" job, management in my office was rude and disinterested in employees; hard to get the tools you would like to do your job better; the sales office had one computer for 5 salespeople

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove leadership in sales function

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some days were like living nightmares that seemed to NEVER end they only got worse. Really enjoyed the maggots everywher

Route Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsIts a job, management lets you work your way, great co workers they are some characters great people to be around laugh and joke withsometimes you can get free food from your customers and free stuff from them as well if you look out for them they will look out for you make a lot of friends around your town or city that you live in fun at times

Consthe hours are wall the summer so hot when you pick up the dirty linen that usually covered in a lot of maggots in other bugs I've had roaches crawl up my shirt on my back I've caught two black widows on my truck I've been hit in the face with maggots I've been hit in the face by a half chewed steak when it fell out of a napkin when I picked up the dirty linen it sucks when the truck breaks down Plus production to never get you what you need when you need it so you have to keep going back to different customers throughout the day to finished giving them their delivery and throughout the week you have to keep going back to collect money or finish the delivery wall wall hours sometimes I feel like I'll never in

Advice to Senior ManagementPut people with experience to do the job properly and pah them more stop abusing your assistant managers listen to your drivers more

Caring, Compassionate Company

Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

ProsIt seems to me that the upper management cares deeply about its employees. Here at the Branch level, they are concerned about the bottom line, but that is inorder to keep the work force steady and to avoid lay offs and downsizing rather than lining the owners pockets.

ConsPlants that require Union membership, unions are so outdated, and unnessasary.
    For the most part, they enter a plant only when the need to negotiate a contract, then they make the work force feel good by buying a few pizza's and selling them a line of bull that the majority buys into, then disapearing and sucking the dues out of poor production people like me.
    The rules and work rights are already in place by goverment rules. so what does the union do for me? nada!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe procactive and keep growing the business to keep employees jobs.
    push affordabe benefits to employees and their familys. And Communicate company needs and goals to the entire work force, not just the management.

Awful Dont do it man!

Sarasota, FL

ProsNothing there are no Pros.

ConsEverything that you can imagine.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on your workers instead of trying to nickel & dime everything.
    No one gets a bonus...so the GM can get the bonus for himself!

ALSCO had its up and downs

Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat people. fun environment to be around.

Constoo many secrets. service department brings us down. Potential customers turn us down because they know about the service department.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the problems within the service department and ALSCO in Charlotte will start to grow again.

Hands down the worst Job I ever had.

Napkin Feeder (Current Employee)
    Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

ProsConveniently located,
     The ladies at the iron that I was assigned to made the best of it.
    Its a job.

ConsThe work is mind numbing and back breaking.
    The noise level is Loud, very loud.
    The heat in building is miserable.
    The intercom is louder than the fire alarm. No real concern for safety issues.
    Maintenance is minimal and begrudging.
     There is no incentive to do a good job,raises are not performance based,
    Closed union shop that you pay union dues, out of minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you know that X amount of product needs, to get out that day then make sure that product gets to the wash isle, before 2:30 in the afternoon.check the tickets. Make sure that the product that is needed, gets washed, so your people can get it out in a timely manner, insted of makeing the people at the end of the line work over time with out breaks, Just because there was a failure to processes the product in timely manner at the begining of the process.
    Stop stomping around like someone kicked your dog. Treat your workers with respect

It was a sales position that you had no control over results

Account Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsBackground in the linen industry or restaurant industry is gained. Beyond that unless you are willing to relocate to their choice of any where in the country you will really not be moving upwards.

ConsPoor communication, sales commissions depends on 8-12 week pay out on products sold. Average item revenue for company weekly $2-3.00 not a lot to build up commissions with.

Okay

Finance/Accounting (Current Employee)
    South Salt Lake, UT

ProsWork load balance, people, fiscal stability

ConsAdvancement, growth, morale, respect, hostility, total compensation (including benefits)

Advice to Senior ManagementBottom line management is a dangerous game to play...

Worked for Alsco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alsco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alsco CEO Kevin Steiner. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Alsco employees.