Alstom Power
www.power.alstom.com Baden, Switzerland 5000+ Employees

Alstom Power Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2014
Alstom Power – Amarillo – “ECO 100, 3MW being assembled”

Alstom Power Chairman & CEO Patrick Kron

Patrick Kron

Friendly environment but limited opportunities

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Windsor, CT

I worked at Alstom Power as an intern for less than a year

ProsLower management was open to new ideas, good internship experience and was able to learn many new skills, company picnic was good for improving company atmosphere.

ConsFinancial concerns made management hesitant and limited opportunities for full-time employment. Inter-department power struggles limited productivity. Multi-location nature of the company sometimes made communication difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote ideas for increased productivity.

Challenging position with good training opportunities.

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Alstom Power full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation and benefits package, promotions are hard to obtain within the company. Company has been hardly hit by current international market conditions.

ConsCompany tries to cut cost by outsourcing engineering personnel. Domestic contracts have been diminished due to difficulties to obtain permits for new power plants. Time-off policies cover in contract are highly questioned when employees need to make use of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should be more aware of current international market conditions and try to capture and retain projects that will benefit the company. Managers should be demanding, but also recognized and stimulate achievements.

A good place to work, but needs new life in some aspects

I have been working at Alstom Power

ProsSteady, established company. Room for growth, secure jobs.

ConsCulture in the US offices is resistant to change, does not incorporate new technologies into databases or products as much as it should.

Employee appreciation

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Paris, TX

I have been working at Alstom Power full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOK salaries, but advantages wise we are limited. The branch I work for has no appartments to offer to employees who recently moved into that city specially for that job offer. Otherwise, good conditions, good working hours, no over-time though, but good coverage on the insurance grounds.

ConsNo over-time, caught the company at a bad time, lack of cooperation between certain members and the presence of an obvious gap between generations and mentalities.

Good work place

Engineer (Current Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Alstom Power full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work place, can learn a lot, relatively relaxing work environment

ConsOffice politics, many people just talk do not do things.

Process Improvement Intern

Process Improvement Intern (Former Employee)
Windsor, CT

I worked at Alstom Power full-time for less than a year

ProsWork culture ,management and benefits.

ConsNothing bad i found during my stint

Disappointing Practices, Low Compensation

I worked at Alstom Power

ProsInternational company, management heavy, upper management is completely clueless about the market, project capture and project execution. Company likes to direct actions to capture projects from Europe with no clue of the current market conditions.

ConsOnce you are hired, raises are very scarce. Company not competitive to retain talent. Most good employees are eventually recruited away from the company by competitors who offer substantially more pay and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen an employee is identified as a key project capture employee, efforts should be made to retain the employee. Frontline project capture employees should not have to "fight" management in winning projects.

Educational

I worked at Alstom Power full-time

ProsGreat Co workers from all over the world.

ConsCorporate Glass ceiling issueswithin some of the divisions of the Global Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to promote from within.

A struggling company

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Alstom Power full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPretty good benefits and salary

ConsToo political, too much red tape, does not keep up with competition, management heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to streamline the procedures, learn to communicate, too much management not enough workers

Overall, a great company to work for.

Richmond, VA

I worked at Alstom Power full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K plan with employer matching, and paid vacation and sick leave. When company is profitable, merit and performance-based financial incentives (raises and bonuses) are good.

ConsUpper management periodically makes decisions which affect a particular sector or the company as a whole without looking at the big picture and how it impacts each business, the employees, and the respective customer base. When times are good, moral reflects it, as there is recognition for performance (especially over and beyond the requirements). But, when times are tough, recognition for employee contributions are non-existent, salaries are frozen, bonuses are eliminated, and company-paid benefits are reduced or eliminated. HR department acts on behalf of the company and not as an employee advocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen lay-offs become necessary, make sure you are communicating to the "worker bees" the reason for the lay-offs and what measures are being put into place to bring the company back to a profitable status. Also, when determining what positions to eliminate and/or the persons that will be laid-off, make sure you allow time for these individuals to turn-over their responsibilities to those who will be assuming them as well as those who depend on them as members of an extended team to know that they are leaving and who will be assuming their responsibilities. This is particularly important for those who have regular customer contact.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Alstom Power? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alstom Power reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alstom Power CEO Patrick Kron. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Alstom Power employees.