Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Reviews

Warren J. Kirk

1. Volunteer Program - not Employment

Current Freelancer - Volunteer in Berkeley, CA
    Current Freelancer - Volunteer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center (less than a year)

Pros

The volunteer program is actually more flexible than they initially present it. Depending on what department you end up in to begin with, you can arrange your schedule pretty well. Communication and planning ahead is key here.

Cons

You really won't get the "hands on" patient interaction that we are all hoping for from this program. Some departments are better than other for the volunteers, but none of them legally allow the volunteers to do much of anything.

A little more organization would be great, but overall it's a good program and I enjoyed it.

2. Went through 11 strikes for the last contract. This company does not prioritize any of their employees.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse II
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse II

I have been working at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team, great patient population, fairly strong union.

Cons

Pay sucks in comparison with other Bay Area hospitals, working short staffed all the time, and no appreciation for the nurses from management.

Stop fighting the unions and retain the employees that you have. This anti Union policy is hurting the hospital and the patients.

3. Volunteer

I have been working at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center

Pros

Great working environment. Very nice people. Rewarding job.

Cons

None. I really enjoyed my experience there.

Keep up the good work.

5. Steady and fun, in a 90's kind of way.

Former Contractor - Senior Accounts Payable Clerk in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Accounts Payable Clerk in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The managers in the accounts payable department were fun and supportive, and offered really flexible schedules. I was hired here as a temp for a year just after college, and enjoyed having a steady job with fun coworkers. Free food on holidays, great cafeteria, prompt tech support, and good pay are all the perks I need.

Cons

Some people in other departments can be inefficient and overly self-protective. Also they shut this department down to cut costs, and transferred all our work to headquarters in Sacramento. Meanwhile there's a giant new building on the Oakland campus. Perhaps it's not the most stable place to work.

6. I really liked this job!

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my schedule here. I initially was able to work 3-12 hour shifts, then that changed to 3-10 hour shifts. That was a great schedule. I really enjoyed working with the patients on the eating disorder unit. It was great meeting new patients everyday. Some were, of course, difficult to work with, but most were not.

Cons

Some of the patients on the psych unit were very difficult to work with. Some patients could be combative, angry, argumentative, etc. That is, of course, why they are in a psych unit. It's an understanding that we Orkney with patients that are challenging, so self care is a must!

I think it would have been helpful to hear more "kudos" from management when an individual or team did a good job. Being recognized for effort and success can go a long way!

7. Talk with several potential peers before accepting a job offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging clinical environment, good compensation, everyone of the line staff are dedicated and concerned to do their best. Middle management seem to be trying...

Cons

Inept planning/implementation of electronic health record resulting in hi risk to patients and to licenses of RN's. Pressures to contain costs and lack of creativity from upper management have soured morale. Ergonomic standards are not followed. Culture of retribution is rampant, must always watch your back. Middle and upper management are not safe from this culture.

Would advise trying out the advice of the staff who are performing the front-line work as they are trained, educated, and vested in having great customer service. Would suggest they provide better oversight of providers to be sure documentation is actually reflecting care and service provided.

8. worst assignment

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

worst patient assignments
    poor staff attitudes
    dirty breakrooms

9. A way to make a living

I have been working at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff, benefits, familiarity, quality, seniority makes change difficult

Cons

Oppressive management, work in silos

10. Great potential but not a lot of follow-through.

Former Employee - Recovery Counselor in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Recovery Counselor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people there genuinely care about their job and about the clients. Even when the work itself was hard, you could still feel supported by the people you worked with. There were opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low considering the type of work you have to do. There is in-house drama that is disruptive and goes unaddressed and it is very difficult to make changes to the way things work.

I did not feel safe or supported working as a nurse at Alta Bates Summit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are frequently positions open at Alta Bates and Alta Bates Summit Hospitals, but this is due to high staff turnover. The salary was very competitive.

Cons

I felt unsafe and unsupported working as an RN at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. The hospital was very poorly resourced, and my unit was often out of supplies, requiring nurses to horde even simple and necessary supplies like saline flushes. Management treated nurses poorly, it did not feel like a safe place to speak up and voice concerns about workplace conditions because I saw a fellow nurse get fired during her introductory probation period for giving honest feedback to our manager. The only time I heard feedback from our manager was to say we had done something wrong, never to provide encouragement or compliment our accomplishments and hard work. Because of the negative work environment, the nurses there seemed to operate in an every one for her/his self fashion, there was very little feedback and alot more back-stabbing than I've seen at other jobs.

The management style at Alta Bates has created a very adversarial relationship between management and nursing. This negatively affects everyone at the institution, including patients. Patients will not receive the best care if their nurses feel that they are being treated poorly and unfairly by their managers.

Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Photos

Summit Campus of Alta Bates Summit Medical Center located in Oakland, California. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo