Alta Bates Summit Medical Center

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.2

Warren J. Kirk

Steady and fun, in a 90's kind of way.

Former Employee - Senior Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accounts Payable Clerk in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The managers in the accounts payable department were fun and supportive, and offered really flexible schedules. I was hired here as a temp for a year just after college, and enjoyed having a steady job with fun coworkers. Free food on holidays, great cafeteria, prompt tech support, and good pay are all the perks I need.

Cons

Some people in other departments can be inefficient and overly self-protective. Also they shut this department down to cut costs, and transferred all our work to headquarters in Sacramento. Meanwhile there's a giant new building on the Oakland campus. Perhaps it's not the most stable place to work.

I really liked this job!

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved my schedule here. I initially was able to work 3-12 hour shifts, then that changed to 3-10 hour shifts. That was a great schedule. I really enjoyed working with the patients on the eating disorder unit. It was great meeting new patients everyday. Some were, of course, difficult to work with, but most were not.

Cons

Some of the patients on the psych unit were very difficult to work with. Some patients could be combative, angry, argumentative, etc. That is, of course, why they are in a psych unit. It's an understanding that we Orkney with patients that are challenging, so self care is a must!

I think it would have been helpful to hear more "kudos" from management when an individual or team did a good job. Being recognized for effort and success can go a long way!

worst assignment

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

worst patient assignments
    poor staff attitudes
    dirty breakrooms

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Talk with several potential peers before accepting a job offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging clinical environment, good compensation, everyone of the line staff are dedicated and concerned to do their best. Middle management seem to be trying...

Cons

Inept planning/implementation of electronic health record resulting in hi risk to patients and to licenses of RN's. Pressures to contain costs and lack of creativity from upper management have soured morale. Ergonomic standards are not followed. Culture of retribution is rampant, must always watch your back. Middle and upper management are not safe from this culture.

Would advise trying out the advice of the staff who are performing the front-line work as they are trained, educated, and vested in having great customer service. Would suggest they provide better oversight of providers to be sure documentation is actually reflecting care and service provided.

Great potential but not a lot of follow-through.

Former Employee - Recovery Counselor  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Recovery Counselor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people there genuinely care about their job and about the clients. Even when the work itself was hard, you could still feel supported by the people you worked with. There were opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low considering the type of work you have to do. There is in-house drama that is disruptive and goes unaddressed and it is very difficult to make changes to the way things work.

A way to make a living

I have been working at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Staff, benefits, familiarity, quality, seniority makes change difficult

Cons

Oppressive management, work in silos

I did not feel safe or supported working as a nurse at Alta Bates Summit

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are frequently positions open at Alta Bates and Alta Bates Summit Hospitals, but this is due to high staff turnover. The salary was very competitive.

Cons

I felt unsafe and unsupported working as an RN at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center. The hospital was very poorly resourced, and my unit was often out of supplies, requiring nurses to horde even simple and necessary supplies like saline flushes. Management treated nurses poorly, it did not feel like a safe place to speak up and voice concerns about workplace conditions because I saw a fellow nurse get fired during her introductory probation period for giving honest feedback to our manager. The only time I heard feedback from our manager was to say we had done something wrong, never to provide encouragement or compliment our accomplishments and hard work. Because of the negative work environment, the nurses there seemed to operate in an every one for her/his self fashion, there was very little feedback and alot more back-stabbing than I've seen at other jobs.

The management style at Alta Bates has created a very adversarial relationship between management and nursing. This negatively affects everyone at the institution, including patients. Patients will not receive the best care if their nurses feel that they are being treated poorly and unfairly by their managers.

Stay away!!

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have nothing positive to say, it was a terrible experience.

Cons

Extreme insubordination amongst employees. Management does nothing to promote a team environment. I resigned from my job by choice!!

Get on board with your employees, work to create a desirable work environment rather than power tripping.

Pushing forward in challenging times

Former Employee - Physician
    Former Employee - Physician

I worked at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diverse and interesting patients, wonderful region to live in, high quality of care, great medical staffs, nice facilities. Region as a whole may have a promising economic outlook although the benefits of the tech industry are less important in the East Bay. The Sutter health system is well managed and has deep pockets. Proximity to major training facilities such as UCSF and Stanford create influx of talent.

Cons

Constant pressure on costs and falling reimbursement through a payer mix with a large percentage of medical/medicaid. The nurses union has historically been at odds with management which has affected morale and led to frequent labor actions.

Engage employees, respond to physicians

friendly, clean environment

Current Employee - Volunteer  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

helpful staff, professional, good work environment

Cons

i have not encountered any yet

Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Photos

Summit Campus of Alta Bates Summit Medical Center located in Oakland, California. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Alta Bates Summit Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!