Altarum

www.altarum.org

Altarum Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Linc Smith

Great co-workers, supportive environment, and outstanding flexibility

ProsThe work-life balance is a huge draw. Co-workers are from various backgrounds and are supportive and helpful. Direct managers make all the difference. Recently implemented initiatives have made job expectations more clear.

ConsOpportunities for advancement are fairly arbitrary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe direction of the company fluctuates constantly and not necessarily in response to market forces. Executive compensation is a much greater fraction of the pie than at many other companies.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Altarum is an amazing place to work!

Analyst (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsAltarum fosters an atmosphere of excellence and encourages its associates to be the best in their chosen profession/speciality. Professional development is encouraged and supported by management. Management provides you with all the tools and opportunity needed to be successful and grow within the institute.

ConsThere is opportunity for growth in communication throughout the institute.

Great place to work, lots of opportunities

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI really love working here, there is a great intellectual atmosphere and employees are treated very well. I have friends and family members that work at some of our competitors and it is clear that Altarum excels at work-life balance, employee development, and overall employee satisfaction.

ConsWhen I first started there wasn't a very strong onboarding/orientation process and it took me a while to get my bearings.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and continue to support the excellent talent that you have on staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work & explore passions in health

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsFlexible work schedules and telecommuting give a great work-life balance, friendly & helpful coworkers who work well together and socialize outside of work, approachable leadership team, good benefits and compensation, invest in professional development and conference attendance, plenty of opportunity to explore topics/work you're interested in & get experience in a number of areas.

ConsDifferences in teams & leadership can sometimes lead to inconsistencies in policy and flexibility. Consulting pace makes a lot of things high priority at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your staff, communicate quickly and clearly about changes, solicit honest feedback, invest in staff activities and perks

Always Know You Could Be Next..Don't Believe the Hype

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGood salary to start - it's their bait. Many good and talented people - not necessarily at the top. Flexible work scheduling/environment depending on supervisor.

ConsHeadquarters in Michigan - they protect those folks more than any other office. Executive staff are in Michigan, bond more with staff there. Turnover is at least 25% EVERY YEAR. They get rid if staff who aren't billable. They are federal contractors but try to present themselves as nonprofit, research. NOT. Promise new staff that they look for out them, when contract ends, will try to find another one - but they only do that for their favorites. Usually you are SOL with no notice. Within past year have had several mass "lay offs". Little to no racial diversity in Washington DC or Alexandria office- although area has great diversity. Staff composition does't represent racial/ethnic mix of area, not even a little. Strange for federal contractors who have to report this to government.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage PEOPLE as well as projects. Treat staff humanely.

If you are talented, knowledgeable, and ambitious...don't work for Altarum

Policy Analyst (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe only good thing about this organization is their flexibility and work/life balance.

ConsWorking for this organization was a huge disappointment. There is no room to grow, it is not a stimulating/intellectual work environment, managers do very little to listen and/or act upon expressed employee dissatisfactions. There is HUGE pay inequity and discrepancy both within and across departments for people with the exact same job expectations/performance. The high organizational turnover is truly a reflection of the organization's poor management and work culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEquity, transparency, and mentorship - work on all three areas!

Going down hill quickly

Analyst (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsFlex time, causal dress, free coffee, can work at home. Sometimes there is interesting work. Reasonable pay.

ConsTerrible ethics, no diversity, terrible benefits, very secretive, not ADA friendly (they are currently being sued and employ no disabled people)
    They like to sue former employees. Very, Very high senior management turnover. Very few long term employees as people tend to leave or get fired rather quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what a true non profit is, and what they do, and how they act.

Great place to Work!

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsEveryone is Friendly, Its A great working environment.

ConsNot Many Holidays a Year!

Lots of interesting work, but management team was not in tune with it's employees.

Senior Informatics Analyst (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsPlenty of work, good benefits

ConsDirector was self centered and a very poor people manager. The benefits got less generous every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are your business, your special projects cost you more money than they bring in.

Great place to work, very happy.

Specialist (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGreat environment, managers give you freedom to create own schedule, I've made a real impact in improving healthcare for all. Senior management is very approachable. Open work environment. People listen. Passionate group of people to work with every day. Fun group of people inside and outside of work. Great potential for the future.

ConsNothing major. Flexible work environment, great PTO, managers give great latitude, and empower employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the free donuts on Thursday!

Worked for Altarum? Contribute to the Community!