Altec Industries
www.altec.com Birmingham, AL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Altec Industries Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Lee J. Styslinger III

This is a challenging, rewarding, and fun place to work.

Manufacturing Engineer Co Op (Former Employee)
    Saint Joseph, MO

ProsGreat company culture, They operate by their specified values, and employees are valued.

ConsSometimes a little "old school"

Product Manager

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsGood work-life balance. Friendly environment

Consdifficult to get promoted. no compensations over 40h/week

Advice to Senior Managementhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Altec is an unorganized, "good ol boy" organization that lacks the understanding of diversity

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Creedmoor, NC

ProsThe employees. There are some great people that work on the shop floor with hearts of gold! Benefits are okay as well

ConsNepotism. Favoritism. Racism. Lack of support from HR when experiencing issues from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes! The employees are miserable and your disconnect with them has created a negative company culture filled with mistrust and resentment towards Altec. Take the time to stop playing favorites and invest in developing all employees. Not just white, male engineers or all engineers period. Be more compassionate and stop creating a culture that mirrors that of a sweat shop and modern day slavery.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company I have ever work for

Applications Engineer (Current Employee)
    Daleville, VA

ProsCompany treats you better then you can imagine

ConsNot much room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementHire older experienced people not just fresh college grads

It used to be a good place

Mobile Service Tech (Former Employee)
    Lincoln Park, NJ

ProsNot many Pros to list, the benefits were ok, service trucks were generally decent, company fuel cards provided

ConsPlease keep in reasonI am only speaking for the Mobile service east division of Altec in my review, as I have no experience working for any other division.
    1) all expenses are out of your pocket except for fuel, so if your stuck in a hotel all week it's coming out of your pocket, if you need to buy supplies like hose, fittings, hydraulic oil etc..lomanagementfor a unit that your working on it's out of your pocket. As you can imagine this can become very expensive. When you do submit your expenses via Altec's I expense system pray to God your not off by even a cent because it will be rejected and also hope your supervisor doesn't feel like rejecting something because you will never see your money. I know this for a fact because I purchased two truck batteries for a unit we owned that had dead batteries, the supervisor deemed them unnecessary and I was out $300 dollars.
    2) unrealistic meal policy. If you are working out of town and staying in hotels the meal policy is as follows. No breakfast, get breakfast in hotel for free or not at all. $8.00 for lunch & $12.00 for dinner. This cannot be combined in anyway.
    3) the gps on the service trucks are watched better than NASA would watch a radar screen during a shuttle launch. When you submit your time it all better be time while you were at a jobsite. Their is zero consideration for hours spent at home or in a hotel room submitting SR's, looking up parts, fielding phone calls or emails. If your truck shows forty hours at job sites this week you better only submit 40 hours. If you submit 15 extra minutes for the other job necessities as mentioned you will be written up
    4) management, a whole bunch of people that have never touched a tool in their life but will tell you how you should do everything and how long it takes. The only position with a hire turn over rate than the field techs is the management. It's a very us and them mentality and they make sure you know you are not one of them.
    5) the company will never stand by the techs regardless of the situation
    6) if you get injured it's your fault period. No matter what happened it's your fault and they will get out of paying anything to you and you will be written up. Seen it happen many times
    7) if for some reason you are terminated regardless of why you will not get unemployment, they are a billion dollar company and will fight it and win.
    8) question anything that comes from management and you might as well start looking for your next job

I could go on and on and it's a real shame because 6 or 7 years ago this used to be a great place to work right up till the new management regime took over. Also please keep in mind when reading this I was with Altec for almost 10 years, I was never hurt on the job, I was not fired, I left completely on my own for another job and was called by upper management and kept on the phone for hours because they wanted me to stay. It's also been almost two years since I left so this is some bitter former employee typing this. I'm just putting my observation and experience with the company out there

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current management team for the Mobile service east division is and has been a complete failure. How does someone higher up at the company not see all the long term experienced technicians leaving in droves? It's a real shame what's happening at this place and hopefully someone fixes it before it's too late.

Great place to start a career.

Engineering (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back management, fun atmosphere, and overall positive employee morale.

ConsInterdepartmental conflict, unclear direction at times, and long hours.

Amazing Lean culture

Technical Sales (Former Employee)
    Saint Joseph, MO

ProsVery laid back yet extremely productive atmosphere. Employee morale is amazing and the company is really in touch with them. I was not as experienced with Lean principles when I interned there but looking back in retrospect I realize how awesome their Lean programs are. Easy to advance in your career track if you're willing to move to those opportunities.

ConsVery conservative company (about as close to a con as I could come up with and being conservative might not really even be one)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Best place I have ever worked

Fiberglass Tech (Former Employee)
    Saint Joseph, MO

ProsVery good at teaching new skills

ConsJust letting temps go after all that they learned

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give someone a chance

Pushed

Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee)

ProsCan't think of any at the moment

ConsYour pushed to get jobs done. Don't have time for lunch because of units down.
     12 hour days are too much. Bosses don't care nor do they know what really goes on out in the field.
    Boss calls and askes when you will get this, this and this done, who knows. Hire more people. Feel pushed to get things done in fear of loosing job.
    No home life, answer phone even after your home. They say they are all for family, maybe it used to be but now it is booses fearing for their job so they push their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what is really going on in the field with repairs to units. Hire more and train better. Get the boss out of the office and into the filed to see what really happens.

Brought over with a company buy out. Has treated me well for the past 10 years.

Service Technician (Current Employee)
    Aurora, CO

ProsLarge company with plenty of room for advancement.

ConsI work for a service location. Small facility. Needs improvements to better the location.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome updates would improve productivity. Save Altec thousands of dollars.

Worked for Altec Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altec Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Altec Industries CEO Lee J. Styslinger III. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Altec Industries employees.