Altera

Updated March 4, 2015
3.4

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane
John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer (in 31 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Not much options for career advancement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Technician

Current Employee - Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Altera

Pros

good salary, vacation days, PTO days

Cons

terrible management, unhealthy work environment

treat employees with respect

Altera - Europe sales org

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good salary to cover the gap vs. more effective competitors having clearer technology and product roadmap and better local management. Freedom to performe your job.

Cons

No negative feedbacks allowed. European Management likes bootliker's approach (needed to survive in a burning organization), business plans with no rational and/or link to the real market.

European Management (mainly: UK) should be completely replaced.

Hire and Fire GT in RnD department(ICE).

Former Contractor - GT - 1year in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Contractor - GT - 1year in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Altera as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Helpful colleagues and supportive at times.

Cons

1) Lack of appreciation.
    2) Sorry to say this, but it is 100% fact, I try not to be racist sarcasm s here, but for all the workers working in Altera Penang Design Centre (Specifically in the ICE group) take a count on the non - chinese there.. Hardly find any, and if you do that's not going to be for long (must be a GT). I was introduced as the first non-chinese to join my group in the meeting. (surprised too). I am not stressing that majority is not good at their work, but without diversity in a group, most likely they will fail to develop in a positive way and be innovative at the same time. They will be too comfortable among themselves and not be able to cope with the real world.
    3) Please don't compare my (2) point with other department like the building 3 folks(NON RnD). Also not to mention RnD is a really huge umbrella, and my previous branch and comment is only dedicated to the ICE(circuit team only).

Specifically dedicated to RnD (ICE) managers, if you are not technically equipped just don't bother to stay there, just quit your job or volunteer yourself to be demote. Also try harder to appreciate people who really do the work rather than people who are good at talking.
    Please be diversify.

A living hell

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Altera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some nice people who understood what I was going through because they were too!

Cons

Managers are bullies and HR don't want to know, despite what they say in your handbook!
    The advise I'd give anyone looking to work in Altera? Trust me, don't do it!!
    Working 12 hour days and being paid for 8! No flexibility, looked down upon for having children, and made feel like you're worthless!
    I can't pinpoint a good thing that came out of my time here apart from the feeling I got when I left!
    Toxic environment with backward policies!

Review your middle management and listen to the "little people"

Company too preoccupied with unfair employment practice

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Penang, East Java (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Penang, East Java (Indonesia)

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefit
    Good facility
    Excellent for playing mgmt games

Cons

Manage out employee is major hr policy
    Too many little napoleon
    Bosses like to hire colleague from ex company
    Intel inside vs amd inside vs ti inside
    Fire, RIF, VSS, hiring happen same time
    Secretive need to know culture
    Easily fall into cold storage
    Intellier are overpaid
    Hap hazard management
    Over worked employee
    Mgmt screw processes

Time to reorg mgmt above director level. Need to go internal employees

Sinking ship. Failing product lines/strategy leads to lack of managers fostering healthy work environment.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice campus. Because its a smaller company, being able to see upper management/vps is a nice feature. Solidarity with coworkers of disapproval of management.

Cons

Constant re-orgs. Very high attrition rate (and forced early retirements). Severe lack of teamwork, effort by management in team building activities. Severe lack of recognition. High attrition -> lack of knowledge being passed on -> more problems and bugs. No visibility in direction of team, direction of organization, or overall strategy of projects. Stale environment (literally and figuratively) -> slow pace - takes forever to do anything. Engineers don't know whats happening , hope management knows whats happening -> but with constant re-orgs theres low hope. Low moral. Managers are more concerned about saving their own jobs, than protecting their employees and grooming their employees. Constant stabbing in the back. Lack of investment from managers in employees. Under compensated compared to market rate. A lot of politics. All managers are tenured 15+ year engineers at Altera. Severe peter principle in place.

see "con's". Doesn't matter though, general consensus that management just doesnt care.

Worst Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Member of Tech Staff in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Tech Staff in San Jose, CA

I worked at Altera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good for some people.

Cons

Do Management understand the business of making chip?

If you were in Jail you would not have to watch your back this much- Horrible Director and above leadership

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong balance sheet and niche market. Strong barriers to entry. Samrt people and most are very talented

Cons

There are unrealistic expectations, Pay is lower than market and overlap with Malaysia causes long days and no work-life balance. Many senior managers do not understand business drivers and stack rank employees to fit a bell curve. Strategic investment is not made to move company forward. I don't think you can cut your way to prosperity. The titles wehre people are hired into are much lower than other companies. For instance a manager here would have the same respnsibilities as a Director somewhere else.
    Attempting to hire for Diversity which means Females and other underrepresented groups- Seems illegal to me as you are not supposed to focus on Age, Gender, Color, Etc..
    Many occurances where senior managers and above are not knowledgeable and seek opportuities to stab you in the back.

Also the yoga classes and wellness fairs are nice when you are not working through lunch every day sort of a joke.

Invest in your employees and make small increases in headcount to scale with growth. Ditch the stack ranking. You have an advantagous psition but if you are shortsighted the opportunity may slip or you will have product issues like at 28nm. I understand as a public company there are guidelines but when you have more cash on hand than google and almost as much as Apple why do you put so much burden on the employees

Very bad Culture, Lot of department politics, bad experience, rat race everywhere, NOT worth IT

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Altera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- fpga is a niche area due to which altera has somehow survived.

Cons

- Its who you know and not what you know
    - If you know people higher, you get promoted to Management even without the right skills
    - Wrong people in leading positions of the company who don't have any experience
    - Lot of politics between departments, RAT race is always on, No collaboration
    - No good products, lot of product issues.
    - The 28nm was a total disaster, 14nm has high hopes but no delivery

- Hire people with the right experience
    - When you promote people make sure they are right for the job
    - Managers need to have the right experience, Many Altera department have managers with no skills

Bad working style

Former Employee - Product Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Altera full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Product may have potential.
    May have a lot of chances to improve presentation skill.

Cons

- Waste time and resources on many none technical area, such as company survey, yearly evaluation even though nobody really care about your opinion.
    - Too much politics. Everybody wants to drive others in order to may manager happy.