Altera

Altera Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Altera Chairman, President, and CEO John P. Daane

John P. Daane

Pros
  • Average work load and work life balance as a design engineer(in 28 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to work on interesting, cutting edge technology(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Still you can not have work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Not much options for career advancement(in 13 reviews)

122 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Facilities Operations Intern

Facilities Operations (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosgreat people and working environment

Consnone, nothing, was a great experience to intern heee

Great work/life balance

Advanced Design Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe growth factor is huge for FPGA industry. The work environment is great. The career path is good. You get a great chance at working with something that is new. Pressure is there only when you are close to a deadline. So work/life balance is great. You get a great scope for self development in the field of Digital design.

ConsSometimes due to office politics work slows down. For me personally this has very very rarely happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some great employee "know each other" events so that people can get to know persons from some other teams.

Too much politics, too little life

Test Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGet my paycheck, OK health benefits, good gym and cafetreria on site

ConsNo career opportunities on technical side, too much politics
    Neither senior nor first line management is responsible for their actions; the blame is _always_ on the people down the corporate ladder
    Big disconnect between your contribution and your reward, after several years of getting a penny for stepping up I'm ready to move on

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very bad Culture, Lot of department politics, bad experience, rat race everywhere, NOT worth IT

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- fpga is a niche area due to which altera has somehow survived.

Cons- Its who you know and not what you know
    - If you know people higher, you get promoted to Management even without the right skills
    - Wrong people in leading positions of the company who don't have any experience
    - Lot of politics between departments, RAT race is always on, No collaboration
    - No good products, lot of product issues.
    - The 28nm was a total disaster, 14nm has high hopes but no delivery

Advice to Senior Management- Hire people with the right experience
    - When you promote people make sure they are right for the job
    - Managers need to have the right experience, Many Altera department have managers with no skills

Bad working style

Product Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsProduct may have potential.
    May have a lot of chances to improve presentation skill.

Cons- Waste time and resources on many none technical area, such as company survey, yearly evaluation even though nobody really care about your opinion.
    - Too much politics. Everybody wants to drive others in order to may manager happy.

A very good learning curve.

IC Design Intern (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsState-of-the-art technology experience, good work environment, good benefits, nice cafeteria!

Consa slight work-life imbalance due to extended work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. My Manager was really kind & helpful.

Neutral

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood compensation, interesting people to work with, and subsidized meals in the cafeteria. There is a fun Halloween party every year!!

ConsLots of reorganizations and politics. Double standard when it comes to male behavior vs female behavior at the senior and management levels. Senior men are expected to be aggressive. Senior women are still expected to be submissive and remain subordinate. The junior employees have a more level gender playing field. Also, there were layoffs the day after a big "30 year anniversary" party. One day there was a party, the next day all your friends lost their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some sensitivity to the talented women leaders and managers in the engineering groups. Ask yourselves how can women succeed in an aggressive environment if they are shunned for being aggressive themselves. My advice would be to stop promoting such an aggressive environment, and start promoting an environment where people treat each other with respect and courtesy. Aggressiveness does not equal productivity!!

Great place to start your career, smart people

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prospeople are collaborative, helpful. Work life balance is great. Never worked on weekends. Good recognition for the work you do.

Constoo many meetings. too aggressive schedules.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many reorganizations.

Good Place to Work

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood compensation!
    RSU every year with Focal Bonus
    Event for employees.. bi-weekly beer party.. hooray!

ConsPersonal life balance!
    Too much work!

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many meeting. Please work on getting rid of ridiculous meeting schedule

Work on real products with great intelligent people

Design Engineer Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIn engineering, you get to be around smart and friendly folks, who focus on problems at hand. Most everyone is aligned towards common goals. Immediate managers and directors are well respected and take care of their teams. You can express your opinion without fear, argue, brainstorm. Not much politics there. There's a variety of projects, most of which make it to production. Recently, there are various fun activities, such as ping-pong or bocce tournaments, volleyball, etc. Good facility and reasonable resources. It is a comfortable environment, and there are many people, who stick around for 10-20 years.

ConsI hear the picture may not be the same outside engineering. Because of lots of long-term and bright folks and small or no growth, the career opportunities are limited. The expectations are high, and it's pretty hard to "exceed" them. The company is very money-conscious, which is good for a corporation, but sometimes feels as penny-pinching. There's always a lot of work to do, and many stay until 7-8 pm, which can become stressful. Some "brain drain" to Google recently. Benefits seem to slowly deteriorate.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable career opportunities. Grow the company.

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!